Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3574973 - 05/18/12 04:59 PM Re: The war diary of Victor Timm, RFC (OFF) ***** [Re: SimonC]  
SimonC Offline
SimonC  Offline

North of England
Thanks Vitesse and Skimbo.

It's not that Vic feels invincible - he's simply got to the fatalistic stage. The early war reports show a certain lack of respect for 'Huns' and a cavalier attitude. Compare and contrast Major Timm in 1918. Thanks for the compliment about the writing; I'm delighted that others enjoy it.

Skimbo makes a very good point about treating as a fully human experience. We obviously can't, since we're not in Flanders, wet and cold in flight, fearful of flak and enemy scouts, and subject to the daily life of a pilot (and bear in mind, they had a much more palatable war than those on the ground in very many ways), but what we can do is to invest our imaginations into the time spent in front of the PC, and the more immersive the game world, the easier it is - which is a reason why OFF is so well suited to how I game. You may be slightly unsurprised to read that in my callow youth, I adored RPGs like D&D, Traveller and so forth.

It's the theatre of the mind, and what D&D didn't provide - or what OFF doesn't yet provide - I can, and, I hope, in such a way as to bring that world and his ephemeral, digital existence into a sharper focus and to better effect for others.

I'm still not that happy with my efforts overall, and if I had more time I'd certainly do more research and multiple drafts before I posted, but there's a dynamic that can't be disobeyed - I need to write whilst experiences are fresh in the mind, whilst also winding in the additional threads of Vic's life. So it's a compromise.

Next compromise should be up soon, with the odd screenshot assuming I remember to take them.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3575039 - 05/18/12 06:44 PM Re: The war diary of Victor Timm, RFC (OFF) [Re: SimonC]  
skimbo Offline
skimbo  Offline

UK
Brilliant - I await your next 'compromise' (as you call it) with baited breath.

It really is gripping stuff - you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

Tell me do you draw on any elements of your own life/friends to flesh out the backstory of vics people back home?

Skimbo

Never open an umbrella in your trousers
#3575280 - 05/19/12 12:21 AM Re: The war diary of Victor Timm, RFC (OFF) [Re: SimonC]  
SimonC Offline
SimonC  Offline

North of England
"Brilliant - I await your next 'compromise' (as you call it) with baited breath."

Thanks - on its way.

"It really is gripping stuff - you shouldn't be so hard on yourself."

I know it could be better and some of the stuff I've posted makes me wince when I reread it, but that informs anything I write thereafter, so it all serves a purpose. I'd love to think it was good enough to get published, but I know that it's simply a reasonable effort from a part timer, and that's probably good enough for me. I'm surprised that I've had about 12K visits, but that's undoubtedly people checking back rather than 12K fans (I wish!).

"Tell me do you draw on any elements of your own life/friends to flesh out the backstory of vics people back home?"

A little.

I do live in northern England, near Manchester, but I've never lived in Derbyshire. None of my family served in the great war, as far as I'm aware, and only a few in the second world war.

My writing, such as it is, is based upon reading multiple accounts of flyers from the RFC, reading shedloads of history and then just plunging in. Frankly, if I didn't own and fly OFF, I wouldn't have written the diary, but I do, so I did.

In terms of people, I've lifted surnames from my past (don't ask) and I've tried to recreate a post-Edwardian feel of a middle class family working through a disaster that they simply don't understand. I hope that that comes through in the letters and the replies.

If I had a year to spare, I would love to turn it into a book, but I suspect that I'll never have that time, and, to tell the truth, I would guess that I'd be hard pressed to find a publisher who'd take on a book that would probably only sell a few copies at best. Still, if it provides a worthwhile read to like minded people on t'interweb, then that's a pretty good deal!

EDIT - 22.07.12 - Due to unforeseen circumstances, Vic's not flown at of late. That will all change in the next day or so, so please keep an eye out for new reports, should you be so minded!

Last edited by SimonC; 07/22/12 04:38 PM.
#3894165 - 01/12/14 10:21 PM Re: The war diary of Victor Timm, RFC (OFF) [Re: SimonC]  
SimonC Offline
SimonC  Offline

North of England
Good evening everyone.

I've been away from my PC - figuratively - for such a long time that I even missed the release of WOFF. Well, It's now (finally) loaded and sat upon my PC with Matt Milne's epic score hammering away. Matt do yourself a favour and drop a copy of it to Spielberg soon as I suspect it's right up his street.

I was hoping, by way of reintroduction, to be able to post up the flying guide to the BE2c that I wrote a couple of years back for the edification and entertainment of any poor sod daft enough to climb into one, but, alas, SimHQ doesn't seem to have that facility, so I'll simply announce that I'm going to try and finish Vic's war - one way or another - in WOFF. As it is, and perhaps very Vic like, I can barely remember much about his history now, though I'll reread everything, and whilst he's on 30ish Huns bagged, those numbers don't matter.

He's in 12 Squadron RAF, the date is July 5th, 1918. He walks to his Bristol Fighter chatting to Barr-Latimer, his observer. This is France in mid summer and soon Detente forces will try to throw the Hun back out of France and Belgium. Major Timm is aware of the circumstances and what is required; his tread is thoughtful as BL extinguishes a cigarette and climbs onto the wing.

There is much to do.

Last edited by SimonC; 01/12/14 11:55 PM.
#3909041 - 02/08/14 04:37 PM Re: The war diary of Victor Timm, RFC (OFF) [Re: SimonC]  
skimbo Offline
skimbo  Offline

UK
One word -

'Its about bloody time' smile

that's four words but I don't care - can't wait to read. Do you think the woff flight model might make life hard for our fella? Or has it been that long that it wouldn't matter what sim you flew smile

I expect a great read - welcome back

Skimbo

Never open an umbrella in your trousers
#3940461 - 04/16/14 10:49 PM Re: The war diary of Victor Timm, RFC (OFF) [Re: skimbo]  
SimonC Offline
SimonC  Offline

North of England
Originally Posted By: skimbo
One word -

'Its about bloody time' smile

that's four words but I don't care - can't wait to read. Do you think the woff flight model might make life hard for our fella? Or has it been that long that it wouldn't matter what sim you flew smile

I expect a great read - welcome back

Skimbo

Thanks Skimbo.

I've got some outstanding technical issues, and one or two non-techy ones that have prevented me from taking to the air. The techy one's to do with TrackIR, which I hope to bottom soon; the other ones are covered by the phrases "local elections" and "adopting a child". Not much point on enlarging on those, I suspect.

As soon as most of them - specifically TrackIR - are sorted, I'll be flying and writing again.

#3949542 - 05/06/14 12:06 AM Re: The war diary of Victor Timm, RFC (OFF) [Re: SimonC]  
SimonC Offline
SimonC  Offline

North of England
Still got problems with TrackIR - why won't it #%&*$# work with Win7 when it does with XP? Everything's up to date? Gaaaa!

It will get sorted and I will fly again.

#3949561 - 05/06/14 12:35 AM Re: The war diary of Victor Timm, RFC (OFF) [Re: SimonC]  
SimonC Offline
SimonC  Offline

North of England
Awaiting fixes to technical problems - then I hit the air again....

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.