Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3075971 - 08/18/10 08:52 PM Re: Any M14/M1A shooters here? [Re: NH2112]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
Okay my bud has told me he is not ready to deal with an out of state sale. Shipping(on the ammo alone jeez), insurance, FFLs he would just rather sell locally if he can. He said if it's not sold in 6mo or so he might consider it then. He's just not in a huge hurry I guess.

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, or how smart you are, If it doesn't agree with experiment it is WRONG. ~Richard Feynman
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3076011 - 08/18/10 10:07 PM Re: Any M14/M1A shooters here? [Re: NH2112]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Here's how an M14/M1A is meant to be shot:

And where:

With results like this:

I've posted this before but I'm posting it again because I'm proud! ~225 yards, iron sights, prone supported on a ruck, 19 out of 20 inside 1 MOPP (Minute Of Paper Plate biggrin.)

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#3076352 - 08/19/10 03:21 PM Re: Any M14/M1A shooters here? [Re: NH2112]  
vault_dweller Offline
Wasteland Wanderer
vault_dweller  Offline
Wasteland Wanderer

Cafe of Broken Dreams
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm starting to get real excited about this purchase. My friends say I'm turning into a SA fanboy, but I know they're all going to be jealous when they see my new baby.

OG, the loaded version's iron sights has the NM style windage adjustment (half minute increments), but lacks the hooded aperture, which limits the elevation adjustment you can do with the sights. SA calls it a GI match grade sight. I've been advised by several people to get covers for the sights, for storage and for when I'm transporting the rifle, so as not to damage them. Probably a good idea because the replacement sights are pretty expensive.

I'm going to limit the number of modifications I do until I've got some experience with the rifle's stock set-up, so I'm not going to mess with the muzzle brake right now. I'm more likely to try a different flash suppressor than anything else, as you said the rifle handles the .308 round's recoil pretty well. I figured the 25 round mags wouldn't add much benefit either, and if I can't hit what I need to with 20 rounds, I probably shouldn't be wasting my money anyway. For now I'm just going to get some 20 round mags, the butt stock cleaning and maintenance kit, iron sight covers, the gas cylinder and flash suppressor tools, a leather sling and cheek piece, and the scope and mount. That should be enough to keep me busy for a while. I found a good deal on some NATO 168 grain 7.62x51mm rounds in sealed 200 round battle packs, plus some even more affordable 150 grain Federal .308 Win rounds, which I'll be starting my target practice with. I'm also going to get a DVD made by a pair of M14 competition shooters, covering maintenance and cleaning in detail, which is supposed to be very useful for the beginner. Including you, I know a handful of guys with extensive experience on this rifle, so I've got a wealth of info I can access there too. smile

Originally Posted By: NH2112
I wish I hadn't had to sell mine frown

I feel your pain, man, I've definitely regretted selling a few guns in the past when I was hard up for cash. She was a good looking gun, and apparently well loved too. smile

It was 1990, give or take, I don't remember
When the news of revolution hit the air
The girls hadn't even started taking down our posters
When the boys started cutting off their hair

The radio stations all decided angst was finally old enough
It ought to have a proper home
Dead, fat, or rich, nobodys left to #%&*$#
About the goings on in self destructive zones

#3076463 - 08/19/10 07:01 PM Re: Any M14/M1A shooters here? [Re: vault_dweller]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: vault_dweller

I'm wondering if the brake will make the gun louder?

Er...it will make the gun louder to the shooter, and louder than that to the guys shooting beside you at the range. Because the muzzle blast is now reflected/deflected off the baffles and some is now going back towards your and their faces/ears. It does not magnify the total noise though.

By exactly how much, well, normal length barrels, the problem isn't that bad. The worst is high pitched cartridges from shorter barrels with a brake on them...that can be truly punishing. But long barrels? Not that bad, was beside a guy shooting a .338 Lapua Magnum with a big brake on it a few weeks ago, it was a bit distracting, but didn't affect my own accuracy. But an M-4 chopped down even shorter, with a brake, would be a problem, IMO.

I'm also wondering if the brake suppresses the flash at all?

99% of them do not suppress flash. There is only maybe two exceptions, one no longer in production for a decade, the other being the FC556 (?) that apparently can do both. But generally no, they are WORSE for flash than a barrel with no attachments at all, never mind a true military flash suppressor.

I guess I'm wondering if the brake will give away my position more readily than the suppressor?

Short answer: yes. I'd choose the standard that normally comes with it.

If recoil reduction is your goal, you DO have other alternatives: you can add weight (more weight, more inertia for the recoil to overcome) to the stock, even a half pound can soften recoil. For that reason I prefer wood stocks on the FN FAL/SLR pattern, over light hollow plastic stocks.

Secondly, you can choose a great rubber buttpad to mount to the stock...this is perhaps your best choice with no compromise to choose from. It shouldn't cost too much to mount, or DIY. I would suggest "Limbsaver Speed Pad", which is designed for rapidly shouldering a 12gauge shotgun and absorbing significant recoil from a few slug/hunting loads, or a whole day at the range doing trap. Don't let the "speed" part of it make you think it's not for precision either: the regular vs 'speed' is only that the very top of it is curved to let the butt not snag on jackets or shirts as you raise it fast to shoulder. Once it's shouldered, it feels like every other recoil pad, until you fire, and the pad does a better job than most biggrin You should be able to find those at any gunstore, and I'm pretty sure Remington sells exactly the same product under the trade name "Remington R3 recoil pad" or some such. Should work equally well for precision competition or zombie defense!

PS: when you mount the buttpad, ensure you aren't going to lengthen the 'length of pull' of the stock in the process: the wood/plastic of the stock will usually need to be shortened slightly so that the overall length is still the same. I'd suggest you find a gunsmith who often works on shotgun stocks to ensure the 'fit' will be best for you.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#3076552 - 08/19/10 09:49 PM Re: Any M14/M1A shooters here? [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: EAF331 MadDog
*green with envy*

I can't aquire an M1A or M14 here. Would love owning an M1A.

Too bad you're not closer. You'd be welcome to try mine. smile

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#3076639 - 08/19/10 11:38 PM Re: Any M14/M1A shooters here? [Re: shan2]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I get tempted to buy one all the time as they're cheap in Canada, at least the Chinese clones are, however 7.62 ball is expensive and very hard to find here and I don't have the space or the inclination to roll my own.

#3076688 - 08/20/10 01:34 AM Re: Any M14/M1A shooters here? [Re: Rick.50cal]  
vault_dweller Offline
Wasteland Wanderer
vault_dweller  Offline
Wasteland Wanderer

Cafe of Broken Dreams
Originally Posted By: Rick.50cal
...Short answer: yes. I'd choose the standard that normally comes with it...

...Should work equally well for precision competition or zombie defense!

Thanks for that explanation, Rick.50cal, I'm a little undereducated about the difference between a suppressor and brake. I've decided to go light on the modifications until I get to know the weapon a bit. Part of the reason I went with the M1A is because I know it'll be an ongoing project, I'll be tinkering with it, non-stop, for a couple years I'm sure. The gun is nice and heavy so I don't think I'll be changing the weight much, but I'm sure I'll get sick of the GI butt stock plate and end up using something with a little more padding. I can foresee ending up with a custom flash suppressor too.

zombie ...Zombies! The M1A is one of several weapons in my armageddon survival kit (my G.E.C.K.), which is designed to handle a potential zombie apocalypse too... zombie 50cal

It was 1990, give or take, I don't remember
When the news of revolution hit the air
The girls hadn't even started taking down our posters
When the boys started cutting off their hair

The radio stations all decided angst was finally old enough
It ought to have a proper home
Dead, fat, or rich, nobodys left to #%&*$#
About the goings on in self destructive zones

#3076697 - 08/20/10 02:11 AM Re: Any M14/M1A shooters here? [Re: vault_dweller]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Honestly, the recoil isn't bad at all with the USGI buttplate. On the relatively few times I shot from a bench, I'd sit facing perpendicular to the direction of fire, support the forearm on sandbags, grasp the pistol grip with my firing hand, resting my firing hand on my non-firing elbow and cupping my firing elbow with my non-firing hand (it sounds more complicated than it is.) In other words, I wasn't holding the front end of the rifle down. Flip the hinged buttplate up and seat the stock firmly in the "pocket" of your shoulder between the clavicle and shoulder joint - the hinged buttplate should be under slight pressure on top of your shoulder. Adjust the amount of tension applied from both hands, and when you have it right the sights will barely come off target from the recoil. You should be able to do rapid aimed fire - 1 round every 2 seconds - and keep them all within 4" or so at 100m using this method. After 100 or so rounds you might have a small bruise on your shoulder, kind of like the ones you get from pack straps. The worst thing that will happen due to recoil is your thumb will smack you in the cheek if your stock weld isn't right.

It's not at all a practical shooting position for the field, but for zeroing and KD shooting it's comfortable and accurate. I always tried to do at least 75% of my shooting from field-type positions.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#3076733 - 08/20/10 03:48 AM Re: Any M14/M1A shooters here? [Re: NH2112]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
A .308 shouldn't hurt to shoot for any length of time, just hold the gun in tightly so it doesn't have a chance to get a running start at either your shoulder or your cheek and that should take care of that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.