Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3062476 - 07/29/10 03:39 AM WWI planes at EAA's 2010 AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin  
Dumbo Offline
Dumbo  Offline

Titletown USA
I saw all three German planes flying this week at Oshkosh, and I got the chance to talk to the gentleman who built the S.E.5a...

Fokker DRI (non-rotary). For $5.00 US I can have my picture taken next to this baby wearing a WWI German pilot's uniform. Should I? confused

Fokker DVII. In a movie that they had showing the three Fokkers flying cross-country (they're all based in Colorado), the DVII had a red lower wing.

Fokker DVIII (non-rotary)

Jack Kearbey's S.E.5a. Great looking plane and an interesting gentleman to talk to (he's the guy wearing the red jumpsuit just to the left of the engine cowling). He even has an original R.A.C. owner's manual for this plane that somebody gave him! A few tidbits:

- He was able to fly the plane completely "hands off" almost immediately after his very first take-off, it's that easy to fly.
- The cockpit is "extremely quiet" with very little wind noise or buffeting. "You could sip a hot cup of coffee while cruising without any problem whatsoever."
- Contrary to some accounts of WWI pilots lowering the seat in this plane, he claims that's impossible to do since the aileron cables are a mere 1/4" below the seat.

The S.E.5a's cockpit. Some of the instruments are original, including the one-needle altimeter in the lower right-hand corner. Mr. Kearbey did install the modern altimeter for safety reasons that you can clearly see mounted front-and-center above the cockpit dashboard.

I stumbled across this Sopwith Camel purely by accident. It was parked among civilian aircraft as I made my way to the WWII era, and not in their "vintage" area where the other four WWI aircraft were.

Fokker DVII in flight. I found out that they re-painted the lower wing in the lozenge camo design after a minor crack-up on landing while enroute from Colorado to Wright-Patterson Air Force base in Dayton, Ohio. They decided to take advantage of the mishap by re-painting the lower wing in accordance with Udet's original design...that the lower wing in red had been a mistake. Really?

Fokker DVIII in flight.

Sorry, no DRI in-flight photo. The memory card on my camera maxed out on me right after I snapped my ground shots. These photos were taken by a friend of mine.

I got a kick out of this note taped to the modern instrument panel inside the DVIII.

They also had a mini-museum with some of the artifacts from their museum in Colorado. These are Eddie Rickenbacker's flying goggles, helmet, and gloves. Of course, all of the items were behind glass, and this is the only photo that turned out OK without a lot of glare. They also have a uniform supposedly worn by Major Lanoe Hawker, but they can't be 100% sure on this.

ENJOY!!!

Dumbo
pilot

Intel Core i7-6700 processor 3.4 Ghz
Asus Strix GeForce GTX960 4GB graphics card
Kingston 240GB SSD hard drive
Gigabyte Z170X GAMING 3 mobo
Cougar RS 650 watt power supply
Kingston 8GB PC4-2133 desktop RAM
Windows 10 Premium 64 OEI
24" Dell LCD monitor
CH Fighterstick/ProPedals
TrackIR 5-Pro
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3062510 - 07/29/10 04:48 AM Re: WWI planes at EAA's 2010 AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin [Re: Dumbo]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
I like the paint job on this plane a lot for some reason.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/Dumbo_AK32nd/IMG_1756.jpg

Wheels

Post #4500

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.