Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 74 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 73 74
#3039526 - 06/25/10 05:14 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: 531 Ghost]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Something that i think nobody asked, and if somebody did i miss it:

Consideraing that each device will have its own USB cable, will Thrustmaster sell throttle and stick separately, or you will be forced to buy them together?.
It could be a good option for tight busgets to buy one device first and later on the other, if they are interested. Besides, from what i understand of T.A.R.G.E.T explained here, the software wouldn´t be an issue.

Last edited by Lancelot; 06/25/10 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3039535 - 06/25/10 05:25 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Lancelot]  
Ltfransky Offline
Sith Lord
Ltfransky  Offline
Sith Lord

Peterborough, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By: Lancelot

Consideraing that each device will have its own USB cable, will Thrustmaster sell throttle and stick separately,

Not a chance. At that price point it'll be all or nothing. I seriously doubt they're interested in budget problems

Please Heatware Me!

Ours is not to reason why. Ours is to do or die.
Tennyson

I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
Gillespie Magee, RCAF
#3039656 - 06/25/10 07:50 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Ltfransky]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Originally Posted By: Ltfransky
Not a chance. At that price point it'll be all or nothing. I seriously doubt they're interested in budget problems

Which would be a shame. I have a throttle that I'm perfectly happy with (can't do without those rotaries), if I could buy the stick separately I'd seriously consider it. If I'm forced to buy a throttle I don't want or need then it's a non-starter.

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

"I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive." - Randall Munroe
#3039688 - 06/25/10 08:18 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Valisk_61]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

Well, you're really only missing 1 rotary. The wheel on the base acts like one.

If you're not interested in dual throttles, you could always use, say, the left throttle axis in place of the other rotary.

Just a thought. Don't think I'd necessarily want to do that, but you could.

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
#3039839 - 06/25/10 11:53 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Teej]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
This is not a budget stick for people on the fence the type of simmer that buys this kind of kit is already in over their head lol! Folks that build F-16 replica pits come to mind when thinking of this HOTAS, I mean folks with expendable income!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3040004 - 06/26/10 07:12 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

It may be expensive, but look at it this way-it's bound to outlast whatever PC you're using it with by many years and still retain most of its value, especially since they seem to have gone all-out on quality this time.

Chances are if I decided to sell my FCC-modded Cougar + Hall sensor-modded RCS pedals as a set, I'd get at least $400 for it still. (It may match the Saitek X-65F and possibly the TM HOTAS Warthog's price at that point and thus be a bit optimistic, but there ARE rudder pedals included, unlike those two...ones modded with something that costs around $75-80 by itself.)

#3044936 - 07/03/10 02:43 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Nightcargo Offline
Nightcargo  Offline

Louisville, KY
No news . . . Nobody with anything to say in 7 days!!!

Are you kidding me?

Asus Rampage II
i7 920 @3.9
EVGA8800GTX
6G Corsair
Vista64 Ultimate
#3044997 - 07/03/10 08:20 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Nightcargo]  
Executioner Offline
Executioner  Offline

I think they've all drowned in their own drool wink

Martin...

#3045083 - 07/03/10 02:14 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Nightcargo]  
Doomer Offline
Doomer  Offline

It's up to Thrustmaster to bring out those news. I'm still checking www.thrustmaster.com daily for a official press release but instead of Warthog, they are teasing us(I know that's not the case, but feels like it) with more Disney licensed products...

#3045510 - 07/04/10 12:51 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Doomer]  
Caveman Offline
Caveman  Offline

Huntsville, AL, USA
Sorry if I missed this... 3 questions about the stick:

1) Can the ~1/8" thick plate be removed from the bottom of the stick leaving just the cylindrical part of the stick? That was always an issue when using the Cougar as a center stick: The large, square base would rub the thighs when it was properly positioned.

2) Is the handle of the stick rotated CCW with respect to the base as compared to the Cougar. That was another issue with the Cougar... You could use it in the center position, but it didn't feel quote right since on a real center stick, the handle is rotated about 15°CCW so the the "right hand" feels ergonomically correct when grabbing it.

3) Still confused about the rudder pedal disappointement... Yes, it would have been nice to have rudder solution from Thrustmaster but... can't I just plug in my old Elite Rudder pedals into my PC provided it has a "gameport"? Not sure anymore... Do modern PCs have a gameport and are there adapater to go from gameport to USB?

Edit: just found 2 I think:

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Usb-Game-Port-Adapter/dp/B0009PXKZ8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F3U200-08IN..._pr_product_top

Last edited by Caveman; 07/04/10 12:56 PM.

Win XP w/directX 9.0b / MSI Neo2 Plat / Athlon 64 3500+ (939, 90nm) & XP-90-Panaflow 92mm / Lian-Li 1100B / PC P&C 510 Deluxe SLI PSU / 1 Gig OCZ 3200 Rev 2 / BFG 6800 ultra & NV5 Cooler / Audigy 2Zs / 74Gig SATA Raptor / 80Gig Barracuda IV IDE / Plextor PX-712A DVD Burner / Lite on 56X CDR / NEC FDD
#3045538 - 07/04/10 01:50 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Caveman]  
Gadroc Offline
Gadroc  Offline

Originally Posted By: Caveman
1) Can the ~1/8" thick plate be removed from the bottom of the stick leaving just the cylindrical part of the stick? That was always an issue when using the Cougar as a center stick: The large, square base would rub the thighs when it was properly positioned.

Yes the large square plate is removable, but you will have to mount it to something for stability. There are 4 screws which attach the plate.

2) Is the handle of the stick rotated CCW with respect to the base as compared to the Cougar. That was another issue with the Cougar... You could use it in the center position, but it didn't feel quote right since on a real center stick, the handle is rotated about 15°CCW so the the "right hand" feels ergonomically correct when grabbing it.

I don't think it is, but if you are going to remove the plate and mount it separately it's an easy mater of just offsetting your mounting holes.

#3045671 - 07/04/10 06:47 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Gadroc]  
jeroen Offline
jeroen  Offline

arnhem, netherlands
2)
I guess that not everyone will use it in the same way.
Some people might go for a between the knees mount, others for a sidestick.
3)
Sims today allow you to use more than one controller.
Using pedals with their own USB connection or a gameport adapter should not be a problem.

2147483647 angels can dance on the point of a needle.
Add one and they will all turn into devils.
#3045805 - 07/04/10 10:41 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Gadroc]  
Caveman Offline
Caveman  Offline

Huntsville, AL, USA
Originally Posted By: Gadroc

Yes the large square plate is removable, but you will have to mount it to something for stability. There are 4 screws which attach the plate.

I don't think it is, but if you are going to remove the plate and mount it separately it's an easy mater of just offsetting your mounting holes.

Thanks for answering...

Regarding 2... I rotated my entire Cougar CCW as veiwed from the top to use it as a center stick, but this is still not the same. Rotating the Warthog by offsetting the holes will give the same (incorrect) feel if the Warthog is not poperly designed (which I doubt, but don't know for sure). By simply rotating the entire stick, the stick will be comfortable with respect to the wrist angle, but the movement axis will be offset incorrectly as well. When one "pulls back on the stick", you'd really need to "pull back and a little right" to get elevator input only (and no aileron). This is undesireable.

In a "real" plane with a center mounted stick, the stick grip is rotated CCW (as viewed from the top) with respect to the pure axis of the stick such that pulling straight back does indeed give a pure elevator effect only... This is really the answer I'm after here: Is the Warthog handle rotated ~15-20° CCW as viewed from the top, relative to the Cougar, to compensate for the forearm of the pilot being in a different position than when the stick is on the side?

Sit in a chair and try... It feels terribly awkward to grab a center mounted stick while the wrist of the right hand is bent from the line the forearm natually makes. It's much easier and ergonomically correct to sit with a wrist that is only slightly bent when operating a center mounted stick. Surely this was not something missed by Tmaster, but you'd really need to compare a Cougar with a Warthog as viewed from the top to know... Probably noone has done that yet... Anyone???

Last edited by Caveman; 07/04/10 10:45 PM.

Win XP w/directX 9.0b / MSI Neo2 Plat / Athlon 64 3500+ (939, 90nm) & XP-90-Panaflow 92mm / Lian-Li 1100B / PC P&C 510 Deluxe SLI PSU / 1 Gig OCZ 3200 Rev 2 / BFG 6800 ultra & NV5 Cooler / Audigy 2Zs / 74Gig SATA Raptor / 80Gig Barracuda IV IDE / Plextor PX-712A DVD Burner / Lite on 56X CDR / NEC FDD
#3046057 - 07/05/10 02:14 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Caveman]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

Hmmm.

Out of the box of course, the stick is aligned with the axes.

With the lack of mechanical axes...I bet it would be fairly simple to correct this via software.

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
#3046073 - 07/05/10 02:51 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Teej]  
jeroen Offline
jeroen  Offline

arnhem, netherlands
Somewhere earlier in this thread someone wrote that the warthog's shaft is mounted with a balljoint and springcentered.
At the bottom of the shaft is a magnet with a sensor under it at the bottom of the stick's housing.
Getting the desired rotation of teh stick may be as easy as mounting the stick the way you like it and then rotating the sensor to get the response you want.

2147483647 angels can dance on the point of a needle.
Add one and they will all turn into devils.
#3048945 - 07/10/10 05:02 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Caveman]  
aRareKindOfMonster Offline
aRareKindOfMonster  Offline

Pertinent observations.

I wonder why TM would oversee such a detail.
I assume the grip is detachable from the base - just like the Cougar is - and that the connector on the base should be - ideally - able to rotate slightly.

Since the grip is attached to the shaft by means of a coupler, readjusting the grip to about 15-20deg CCW should not be a problem... provided the connector (in the shaft) can rotate along with its mating part on the grip.

If it doesn't I guess all that can be done is extend the stick slightly and make an extension of the stick. Which is consistent with the original A-10 design.
Ideally, TM should be shipping an extension. The production cost would be insignificant. And for the price tag is runs for, adding a 8-10" piece of pipe with a matching thread should not hurt Guillemot.

Also, is the grip no slightly tilted forward on the A-10?

So you'd solve that discrepancy too.

#3049405 - 07/10/10 09:24 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: aRareKindOfMonster]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
I bet the third party tweakers will come up with all sorts of after market improvements after the WH is released. Guys with CNC machines will probably make replacement stick grip shafts that are offset, just depends on how easy it is to get the PS2 connector and associated wires in and out of the shaft.

I'd like to see a new outboard panel for the throttle base that includes the other side of the flap switch guard, something about the outside edge of the flap switch being unshielded makes me imagine catching it on something and tearing the switch off. I think the sides the box are fastened together with rivets though, so probably way too much trouble.

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#3049605 - 07/11/10 08:18 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: jocko-]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Lets see who is still reading this thread. biggrin

Contest!

SimHQ has 10 Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog T-shirts to give away. Contest closes at 2300 GMT Sunday night. If all 10 shirts have not been given away, watch for a follow-up contest soon.

Send me an email (not a PM please) to (guod@SimHQ [dot] com):

Subject of email: HOTAS Warthog T-Shirt
Your answer to the question.
The mailing address you want it sent to.
Your SimHQ nickname (log-in name).
The size shirt you want and the alternative size if already gone (medium, large, x-large).

The question is, how many subspecies of warthogs are there? I'm referring to the animal not the beloved plane. I'm looking for a number.

Ready. Set. Go!

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3050113 - 07/11/10 11:13 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

The contest is now closed.
Watch for the next T-shirt contest soon.

Congratulations to the following winners of the Thrustmaster HOTAS T-shirt Contest!

Cougar_ED_BT
Tbag
JAMF
Galwran
Boildown
dewey405
Muggs
LtFransky

The correct answer is 4 according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/warthog
The shirts will be mailed out this coming Friday.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3050148 - 07/12/10 12:28 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Cali Offline
Military Advisor - USAF
Cali  Offline
Military Advisor - USAF

Davis-Monthan AFB, Az
Crap, I somehow linked into wild boar.

i5-2500k @ 3.3, Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, Warthog, uber modded Cougar, TM Cougar MFD's, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard

Page 21 of 74 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 73 74

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.