Hop To
#3045993 - 07/05/10 08:30 AM Feature: Extended Play: Gran Turismo 5 Physics  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3046034 - 07/05/10 12:36 PM Re: Feature: Extended Play: Gran Turismo 5 Physics [Re: citizen guod]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Nice write up as usual Chunx... lets see if the fanboys on both sides can keep a open and productive mind and either enjoy both games or not.

BTW, just to clarify FM4 wasn't really announced... just a remake of FM3 using the new Kenetc control free system, which I personally think is stupid, but we will see. wink

#3046124 - 07/05/10 04:38 PM Re: Feature: Extended Play: Gran Turismo 5 Physics [Re: Magnum]  
Chunx Offline
Chunx  Offline

Originally Posted By: Magnum
BTW, just to clarify FM4 wasn't really announced... just a remake of FM3 using the new Kenetc control free system, which I personally think is stupid, but we will see. wink

Actually, I have read recently that FM4 is coming in 2011. One article I read this weekend has abruptly disappeared on me, so I don't know if I just can't find it or if it got pulled down. But there is this one: http://vgtribune.com/forza-4-to-be-released-in-2011/ and a quote from a Turn 10 press release:

Quote:
“Forza Motorsport Preview” (i.e. the E3 Kinect demo) is a select peek at one aspect of the future of the Forza Motorsport franchise...as well as the breathtaking foundation of a new graphics engine ... The next full Forza Motorsport experience, which utilizes some of the ideas presented in this demo, will ship in 2011.

Although everyone was focused on Kinect car control for Forza (in our case like a sickening train wreck we couldn't pull our eyes from), there were other aspects to a new Forza game that were there. One could infer that Turn 10 is working on something to "up the ante" over the release of GT5, with upgraded visuals, maybe some tweaks to the user options and interface, more cars, etc. I don't know what that might entail, and I suspect Turn 10 wants to be mum until they're set to announce (maybe at E3 2011?).

I also have a hunch that FM4 won't be Kinect-only. I suspect (okay, really hope and pray) that just as FM3 had an option for a wheel or gamepad, the new title would have the option for Kinect, or other more traditional control methods - you know, one's where you have control over the throttle and brake... Also, Turn 10 mentions using Kinect as a head-tracker like TrackIR, just as GT5 is doing with Sony's motion control system.

Also interesting is the timing of the MS FFB wheel's demise. It's no longer shown on the MS Xbox site in the product listing. Perhaps we might see a new wheel from MS in 2011, timed to release with FM4? One can only hope, and given MS's track record that might be a big hope, but it does seem plausible if FM4 is indeed on the way.

But that is all gross speculation at this point. It'll be interesting to see how Forza deals with the GT5 challenge, and how it incorporates Kinect. So long as no stupid decisions are made (air driving only, loss of gameplay options) competition like this is win/win for the race sim hobbyist.

Chunx
#3046737 - 07/06/10 06:12 PM Re: Feature: Extended Play: Gran Turismo 5 Physics [Re: Chunx]  
smokee Offline
smokee  Offline

Great writeup, makes me wish I had a PS3. I would say I am disappointed in the initial reaction from the rally cars, but honestly rally needs it's own game. Having it tacked on as an additional feature in a circuit racing game just isn't the place for it.

As an xbox fan, I just don't see how they can compete with GT5. Sony did it right by allowing wheels to be easily developed for the PS3. Now that MS is no longer making wheels and only Fanatec is offering a limited production xbox wheel, I just don't see how they hope to capture the sim segment.

Perhaps the amount of console owners that want to use wheels is way smaller than I think it is?

#3046948 - 07/07/10 12:18 AM Re: Feature: Extended Play: Gran Turismo 5 Physics [Re: smokee]  
Chunx Offline
Chunx  Offline

I think the console racing gamer who-wants-a-wheel segment is small. Relatively small, compared to all console gamers and casual racers. But I suspect it is a significant number, enough to easily keep Logitech in the business, and Thrustmaster, and smaller companies like Fanatec as well. And that's what we as hobbyists care about - keeping the hobby alive!

Chunx
#3047070 - 07/07/10 06:39 AM Re: Feature: Extended Play: Gran Turismo 5 Physics [Re: Chunx]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Both the Forza and GT lines of video games have had graphics and driving dynamics well handled for a long time now. The real area where both lack has been in the gameplay, race event structure, event design, car acquisition system, etc. In short both are very pretty car-collecting and driving games... but actually dreadfully short on quality when it comes to be RACING games including AI opponents.

#3047547 - 07/07/10 10:21 PM Re: Feature: Extended Play: Gran Turismo 5 Physics [Re: Frederf]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
nice writeup!

A few things I would like to see in GT5...
decent physics
good FFB
Race Start options ( rolling side-by-side, standing side-by-side)
ability to choose car(s) for AI (online and offline)
option to have AI online to fill out grid

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
#3047677 - 07/08/10 03:05 AM Re: Feature: Extended Play: Gran Turismo 5 Physics [Re: Patrocles]  
Chunx Offline
Chunx  Offline

Concur, Patrocles and Frederf. I love the physics in FM3 (so long as I don't oversteer out of a corner, then the 'hand of god' gently keeps me from over-doing it), but it lacks the ability to structure a race to meet your desires. Which is why I pretty much just do hot lapping sessions with it, to savor the graphics and the physics.

Chunx

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.