Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3045292 - 07/03/10 09:49 PM Maybe something is in the works with....  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

777 Studios popcorn

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3045293 - 07/03/10 09:57 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: Wedge]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Is this wild speculation or a tease... pics or GTFO

#3045420 - 07/04/10 04:08 AM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: tagTaken2]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Pics/Video or it's not happening lol! That would be awesome though, I really hope this see's the light of day.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3046489 - 07/06/10 07:50 AM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Sorry folks, I have to politely deny this speculation. smile

-----
Jet Thunder Project
http://www.thunder-works.com
#3046494 - 07/06/10 08:35 AM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: Dante-JT]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Aaaarrrgh.

Got anything else for us, then? reading

#3046581 - 07/06/10 01:40 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: tagTaken2]  
lbuchele Offline
lbuchele  Offline

Brazil
That´s too bad...
I´m always hoping for you guys finding a publisher to found your project.
I´m sure it will be a great addition to the flight sim world.

#3046652 - 07/06/10 03:32 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: lbuchele]  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

frown

#3046771 - 07/06/10 07:26 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: Wedge]  

California
Well we can still speculate on other publishers since he said "deny THIS speculation"! Ubisoft with an always online connection required and monthly subscription fee? postcount

#3047023 - 07/07/10 03:44 AM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Originally Posted By: HitchHikingFlatlander
Well we can still speculate on other publishers since he said "deny THIS speculation"! Ubisoft with an always online connection required and monthly subscription fee? postcount

Well, I think it's time to reveal what's happening regarding publishers. We've been contacted by nearly all known publishers around, some of them quite big... But they're only interested in knowing if we have a complete product in hands so they can publish it through their methods.

The fact is that if we finish the product by ourselves, without the financial help of a publisher, in this current era of rising digital distribution platforms and self-publishing methods, we would probably drop it on Steam or similar as an independent release (I know the service very well, I have a friend selling two game products through it right now and he is happy with the service so far).

But without financial help this is nearly unachievable, for example, at the moment our (2) programmers are involved in serious "crunch time" periods in the respective studios where they work full-time in the games industry, so JT is nearly stalled at this point (again). the Financial help is needed so a counterproposal is made for them to leave those jobs and be full-time in JT. And after this, there is the issue of the licensing costs of real aircraft brands such as "Harrier" (Boeing Corporation in the US own the rights) and this costs serious money as well.

This sum ups very well and briefly what happens concerning publishers, but there are always a glint of hope and light at the end of the tunnel if we carry on feeding the dream. smile

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#3047240 - 07/07/10 03:27 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: Dante-JT]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Dante, thanks very much for the disclosure. Definitely a real chicken-and-egg problem, if the chicken were a jet fighter!

Are there perhaps government/cultural grants that can be applied for in the U.K./Argentina? I know it's a stretch, I just heard that 1C has tried something similar in Russia.

Certainly the time is ripe to invest in high fidelity flight simulators (compared to, say, 10 years ago), but try convincing publishers of that in the age of X-box and GTA. >:(

I've been watching your progress since 2005. Haven't given up hope of someday having this on my box! biggrin

#3047265 - 07/07/10 03:57 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: BlueHeron]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Originally Posted By: BlueHeron
Dante, thanks very much for the disclosure. Definitely a real chicken-and-egg problem, if the chicken were a jet fighter!
Are there perhaps government/cultural grants that can be applied for in the U.K./Argentina? I know it's a stretch, I just heard that 1C has tried something similar in Russia.
Certainly the time is ripe to invest in high fidelity flight simulators (compared to, say, 10 years ago), but try convincing publishers of that in the age of X-box and GTA. >:(
I've been watching your progress since 2005. Haven't given up hope of someday having this on my box! biggrin

Yes, we're aware that Oleg is attempting to raise funding from government in Russia (http://www.next-gen.biz/news/russian-government-may-fund-patriotic-game-series)

He is asking US$ 24 million, which will be distributed into 6 combat sim projects, according to the article above. This gives US$ 4 million of funding for each project(finishing of SOW probably included), and it gives a good idea of the costs of developing a high quality flight sim product.

UK and Argentina, I'm pretty sure that if we approach UK government we'll be ignored, but Argentina is another different matter, there's a decent chance, although at the risk of having the project lean to one side (bias)...

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#3047306 - 07/07/10 05:16 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: Dante-JT]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Argentina, I can see that. For them, the issue never really went away:

From Wiki...
"The initial invasion was characterised by Argentina as the re-occupation of its own territory"
"However, as of 2010 and as it has since the 19th century, Argentina shows no sign of relinquishing its claim"

So interest in the project and the potential for bias could both be likely. I wonder though, in what ways a country could lean a project like this toward their interest, or to a more favorable perception of that country in the historical sense.

Also, if the project was funded by the Argentinian government, would UK be more, or less, willing to license intellectual property required for completion?

All kinds of questions start to come up when you look at national involvement. wink

Last edited by BlueHeron; 07/07/10 05:18 PM.
#3047458 - 07/07/10 08:43 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: BlueHeron]  

California
Dante thanks for the informative posts, I hope you understand my post was in jest. It's nice to know how hard you guys have worked on this project and we all hope it will see the light of day. Keep up the fight guys and good luck on the obstacles ahead!

#3047583 - 07/07/10 11:15 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: Dante-JT]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Dante-JT
Originally Posted By: BlueHeron

Yes, we're aware that Oleg is attempting to raise funding from government in Russia (http://www.next-gen.biz/news/russian-government-may-fund-patriotic-game-series)

He is asking US$ 24 million, which will be distributed into 6 combat sim projects, according to the article above. This gives US$ 4 million of funding for each project(finishing of SOW probably included), and it gives a good idea of the costs of developing a high quality flight sim product.

UK and Argentina, I'm pretty sure that if we approach UK government we'll be ignored, but Argentina is another different matter, there's a decent chance, although at the risk of having the project lean to one side (bias)...

The EU offers grants to indie game developers, once every 6 months if I remember correctly.

EDIT: I believe you need to have a company registered within the EU to be eligible.

Good luck Dante.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#3047774 - 07/08/10 11:11 AM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: Dante-JT]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Originally Posted By: Dante-JT
And after this, there is the issue of the licensing costs of real aircraft brands such as "Harrier" (Boeing Corporation in the US own the rights) and this costs serious money as well.

Jebus, not this crap again. I thought there was a way around this issue? Can't it be called something else in game?
Either way, looking forward to this when it works out.

#3047809 - 07/08/10 01:07 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: tagTaken2]  
Ripcord Offline
Ripcord  Offline

Houston, Texas
Why not ask Boeing to support your project?

Ripcord

USN/USMC -- when it positively, absolutely has to be blown up overnight.
#3047826 - 07/08/10 01:56 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: Ripcord]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
BlueHeron: there will be a lot of interesting developments in the political side of things. We still keep it discreetly, but the argentinean government *already* is supporting us. I think it was 2005, Ariel Cancio from Thunderworks together with a delegation from ECV56Condor online squad members went into a field photo and research trip to the Tandil Military Air Base, Buenos Aires Province, where they're able to get all photo material we ever dreamed, including switched on systems in cockpits HUD/radar displays, Ariel had 1 hour of stick time in the actual IAI Dagger (Finger) training simulator and a ECV56Condor member (Cazador) earned a backseat ride in a real plane!

HitchHikingFlatlander: no problem sir! smile It's one of my tasks, to communicate to the community what is actually going on.

AD: thanks for the heads up, actually the company has a branch registered in the UK, so this might be something to look at. I was also pondering about this.

tagTaken2: name change doesn't works, check this
Quote:
Lockheed Martin and Bell believes I'm violating their copyrights so my F35AA1, F/A22A, MV22B are all off line. I got e-mail from them saying the shape of my 3d stuffs look like their aircrafts which are copyrighted.

One of several examples around, since 2008 this has been happening, with increasing frequency.

The solution, is to get decent funding, and properly license the stuff. I own Ace Combat and HAWX for console and although I can't post a pic right now, I can see clearly in one of the frontend/credits screen the several aircraft company logos (LM, Boeing, Dassault Aviation etc) and trademarks clearly visible - which means, Namco and Ubisoft properly licensed($) the stuff. No fuzz.

Ripcord: It would be cool to have USMC AV-8Bs in a modern setting, wouldn't? wink

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#3047850 - 07/08/10 02:46 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: Dante-JT]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Owning the Trademark for a product name doesn't mean you have a blanket ownership of the name. There are tons of companies trading products under the name of Harrier, Toyota is one of them! smile Unfortunately for Boeing, they don't own Computer gaming/Simulation trademarks.

We were concerned about using the name Apache and Apache longbow, but after thorough research we found that while Boeing owns the trademark under several categories, Helicopters (REAL helicopters that is), plastic models, watches etc, their application for a trademark under the Flight simulation and game category was rejected. Why? Most likely because they don't have a product to trade. Have you checked the US patent office website?

Frankly, if you're expecting to license the name you'll be waiting an eternity. After Boeing told us we'd have to license the name (AH-64D/Apache/Apache Longbow) we requested licensing information. That was several months ago, as yet, no response.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#3047991 - 07/08/10 06:54 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: AD]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Quote:
After Boeing told us we'd have to license the name (AH-64D/Apache/Apache Longbow) we requested licensing information. That was several months ago, as yet, no response.

This is indeed a terrible part of the combat sim development job. I know that even studios working in FPS games like Modern Warfare have whole legal teams working around the clock in the licenses of military equipment such as Colt AR-15s, Humvees, even military knife's brands... these legal teams do phone calls in a daily basis to the owner of the rights, etc, to make the process move forward on schedule. It's an utter despair.

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#3050421 - 07/12/10 01:13 PM Re: Maybe something is in the works with.... [Re: Dante-JT]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Which just shows the utter imbecility and greed of those companies.

When I was working, ages ago, in the Marketing department of an Airline, I remember overhearing a conversation between two of the senior Managers , one was griping about how to prevent Passengers taking with them utensils with the Company logo, the other one replied that he must be an Imbecile, that that they were doing, was free advertising for the Airline.

Same with a M-4 rifle, they should want their product to be in a game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.