Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 74 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 73 74
#3032463 - 06/16/10 09:07 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

Originally Posted By: guod
Fire in the hole.

No doubt.

It was a pleasure meeting you & the other SHQ folks!

Teej

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3032464 - 06/16/10 09:08 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
There's been more panic in this thread than the whole of the SoW forum!

Hope it works as good as it looks, because it looks fantastic!

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

"I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive." - Randall Munroe
#3032471 - 06/16/10 09:30 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Galwran Offline
Galwran  Offline

Turku, Finland, your six
Fire in the hole.

Stand by for SimHQ's hands-on Previews of the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and DCS: A-10C Warthog.

The answer to the "when?" question for the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog: September 2010.

Good news!
or will it be like in the Hitchhikers guide; we know the answer (ie, september 2010) but what is that "when" question? I fear it is "when will we get some proper information on the Hog?" =D

Edit: whoops, on the main pange: SimHQ's hands-on previews of the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and DCS: A-10C Warthog will be published in a few hours.!!!

Last edited by Galwran; 06/16/10 09:31 AM.
#3032484 - 06/16/10 10:04 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Galwran]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Thrustmaster confirmed to me that the HOTAS Warthog will be available in September 2010. They also said there will be a pre-order option and would announce it later on.

My "when?" was in reference to everyone asking when it would be available for purchase.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3032486 - 06/16/10 10:07 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
This thing is cool, folks. Words coming soon.

#3032500 - 06/16/10 10:42 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Joe]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

The TM HOTAS Warthog is a stick that will blow away any competitor out there. The detail on this controller is simply amazing.

Guys you'll want one for yourself and you won't be let down.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#3032551 - 06/16/10 12:37 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Panther]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
Hmmmmm

Sounds like a dual/packaged release to me if DCS A-10 is that close to going out the door.

I was hoping for a summer release on the Warthog but September will just have to do.

What is that yellow/orange thing on the top portion of the throttle area? I don't remember that in any of the other photos we have seen but it is intriguing...maybe a nose wheel control or a trim function of the rudder or aileron.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Last edited by Reschke; 06/16/10 01:22 PM.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#3032567 - 06/16/10 12:59 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Reschke]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
September gives me time to save some money and prepare - though with my attempt at the Logitech combo, I am more than a little apprehensive about buying a product again so soon. My trusty CH Products combo is back on my desk with everything but the Logitech pedals collecting dust.

Fridge
----------
Things which do you no good in aviation:
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
4) The airspeed you don't have.
#3032576 - 06/16/10 01:14 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Fridge]  
Doomer Offline
Doomer  Offline

September? What a let down. Did you inquire the reason for the delay?

Of course, in September they could say coming for Christmas 2010.

#3032584 - 06/16/10 01:23 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Doomer]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
Yesterday, with no indication of SoW or TM info available at E3 I was prepared to post a rant about the importance of 'Michael Jackson's Dance Studio' and it's effect on world peace and the global economy... I'll shut up now.

Sept. suits me fine, it's my Bday month. I had kind of figured this product was going to be timed with the new DCS sim anyway. Make mine a double.

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#3032613 - 06/16/10 01:59 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Fire in the hole.

Stand by for SimHQ's hands-on Previews of the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and DCS: A-10C Warthog.

The answer to the "when?" question for the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog: September 2010.

Still standing. Although my feet are getting a li'l tired...

biggrin

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3032644 - 06/16/10 02:29 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: jocko-]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

OK, after a few hours of sleep following a long day, some answers that can be released now...though to be clear I am not associated with SimHQ - this post represents my own opinions/experiences and reflects discussions within my team, The Virtual Thunderbirds.

It is absolutely not "limited" in any way to only work with DCS A-10 as some had feared. At the release event, it was demonstrated with DCS A-10C courtesy of Wags, with FSX, and with Flaming Cliffs 2, the latter in some formation flying by The Virtual Thunderbirds.

No, there's no rudder port built in. The units (stick & throttle) each have their own brains and each plugs into a separate USB port. If you've got a setup that plugs rudders into the Cougar, you should be able to get a USB gameport adapter for $5-20 at various places that will let you keep using your pedals. I got something like that 10 years ago from Radio Shack. A quick check showed they're still readily available (but I haven't looked to see if RS still has 'em).

Programming software is still a work in progress. Unless there's something they haven't told those of us testing the units yet, you will not be downloading profiles to the stick like a Cougar - the interface happens in Windows. This does NOT mean that you are limited to DX buttons. Even the early software I'm using allows some quite powerful capabilities, and they're not done yet.

Some have asked if there's an afterburner detent or not, since the A-10 doesn't have burners. Others have said they don't want a stick without detents. Either way, you won't be disappointed. Out of the box the throttles have a very long, smooth, silent travel with no detent. However, in about 60 seconds you can pull off a small cover and turn a little plastic piece around, and then you'll have a detent. It's not a click-clack detent like the Cougar's - you'll lift the throttles up slightly (~ 1/8 inch or so) and advance them into afterburner.

I've been flying a couple of the pre-production units over the past month, and pre-production software for the past week or so. Given the pre-prod nature, there's a lot of things I'm not in a position to say with certainty.

Those of us in the Virtual Thunderbirds who have been testing these units have found their precision and handling to be excellent out of the box. Most of us have been flying Cougars with the non-moving FSSB / FCC mods. After a few hours of adjusting to a stick that moves again, the Hog is well suited to the precise movements we require. My modified Cougar has been on a shelf in my closet since the day I received a beta unit. There were a few issues with that rev 1 unit that were addressed in the next revision. Although a final opinion can only be rendered once the whole team has tried them, we expect the HOTAS Warthog will receive our full endorsement and recommendation. This is not biased by our sponsorship relationship with Thrustmaster - we are that impressed by the Warthog. If it didn't meet our high standards, we wouldn't have flown a live formation demo. As nice as the ACES-II and A-10 pit from SC Simulations were, the ergonomics were different from what any of us (even Gunner with his own pit) have flown, and we had very little time to adjust before flying live.

Last edited by Teej; 06/16/10 02:38 PM.

#3032699 - 06/16/10 03:20 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Teej]  
Bwaze Offline
Bwaze  Offline

Kamnik, Slovenia
Thank you for your description, Teey!

I am wondering about one thing:

Quote:
If you've got a setup that plugs rudders into the Cougar, you should be able to get a USB gameport adapter for $5-20 at various places that will let you keep using your pedals. I got something like that 10 years ago from Radio Shack. A quick check showed they're still readily available (but I haven't looked to see if RS still has 'em).

I have Simped F-16/C connected to Thrustmaster Cougar (non USB variant). Can they be connected to gameport adapter? I heard that they are made exclusively for the Cougar connection and that they don't work like regular gameport pedals. But there's very little info on that on web.

Pezzer Ritter Wenne Knecht!
#3032721 - 06/16/10 03:35 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Bwaze]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

I'm not sure on that, as I don't have simpeds to try. I'll have to refresh my memory on the Cougar port wiring (I know it's a bit different).

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that what I think would happen is you wouldn't get toe brakes with a game port adapter, but I think the rudder would still work.

I only have about a 50% confidence in that simply because my memory of said wiring is so hazy right now.

#3032724 - 06/16/10 03:38 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Reschke]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Originally Posted By: Reschke
What is that yellow/orange thing on the top portion of the throttle area? I don't remember that in any of the other photos we have seen but it is intriguing...maybe a nose wheel control or a trim function of the rudder or aileron.
I don't believe there is anything yellow/orange at the top of the throttle base... take a look at this picture for confirmation:

If you are referring perhaps to the object visible in this picture,

the yellow object is a band of rubber around the base of a hand-held microphone, which has nothing to do with the HOTAS Warthog.

Other than that, there are two red-orange switches on the throttle itself (one on the inboard side and one on the back of the left throttle), and no other color that I am aware of other than the grey trim axis and green backlighting. Does this help?

#3032735 - 06/16/10 03:52 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Joe]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
Was referring to the bottom picture and from when I saw the picture this morning it appeared to be attached to the rotary dial up on the top portion of the throttle. Thanks for the explanation.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#3032757 - 06/16/10 04:09 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Reschke]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
It's actually a new cross-over project from TM intended to attract business from both simmers and karaoke fans, the 'Karaoke Warthog'.

Presently being beta tested by Justin Bieber.

j/k wink

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#3032758 - 06/16/10 04:10 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Reschke]  
Bwaze Offline
Bwaze  Offline

Kamnik, Slovenia

Thank you Teej. I'll post my questions about Simped connection elsewhere, since it's off topic.

On-topic couple of questions:

Can anyone describe the feeling of joystick and throttle movement? Is the joystick movement smooth all around, without clear X, Y "detents"? How strong is the spring compared to Cougar? Any "stiction" on the throttles? Could we get a photo of the front part of throttle? Is there a lever that connects the throttles together? How are the hats compared to Cougar?

Etc, etc...

biggrin

Thank you for your report, again!!! I think there's not even one mention of Thrustmaster Warthog at E3 outside SimHQ (unless it references your review)! And this is supposed to be gaming industry? frown

#3032766 - 06/16/10 04:20 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Bwaze]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
Beat me to it Bwaze, I've read the preview but it's a little light on details about actual physical feel. The Cougar was a bit of a disappointment due to the 'bumps' felt when passing through neutral position in both X and Y axes. It was also difficult to move the Cougar throttle with precision when making very small adjustments due to the 'sticktion' effect. How does the Warthog compare?

And yes, is it possible to interconnect the two throttles, locking them together for single engine flying?

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#3032770 - 06/16/10 04:25 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Bwaze]  
Bwaze Offline
Bwaze  Offline

Kamnik, Slovenia

Another Warthog sighting on E3:

Gaming Nexus - some new photos, description from the layman point of view.

Page 17 of 74 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 73 74

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.