#2936775 - 01/10/10 09:10 PM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: SkyHigh]  
Craterman Offline
Craterman  Offline

Originally Posted By: SkyHigh
debug{
noVignette:b=no
swastika:b=yes
}

The entry should be put in the ini file as above and not seperately. Works for me now. Thanks to 1SMV BJ over on the YuPlay forums for this valuable tip.

Make sure it looks like this.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2937047 - 01/11/10 07:49 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: Craterman]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

Look at this thread , apparently, the Steam version was "cleaned". Looks like the removed the textures from the download and offer it for a "nominal" price. While this may be legally correct, it leaves a strange taste for me. I'd recon they could have "leaked" the textures or unlock code, which would cover their backs legally as well and everyone got what he wants.

#2937070 - 01/11/10 09:40 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: coochie]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: coochie
The civil war between the U.S.A. and C.S.A. was NOT a result of slavery. the Emancipation Proclamation and freeing of slaves came from the mere need for the union to ruin the C.S.A. economy AFTER the war had allready started. No offence to anyone but Lincoln was not the hero everyone changes history and makes him out to be. The freeing of the slaves was un-popular by the majority of the north and was NOT the cause of the american civil war. It was a by-product of it and only applied to 10 states in the C.S.A. Also, it dint include maryland, the newly forming west virginia, tennesee and others cause the north allready had control of them.
As an example: Maryland is below the mason dixon line (like tennesee) but the north had control of it allready so it was not included in the Emancipation Proclamation. (yes, there were many slaves in maryland)
They CAN't BAN the flag of the C.S.A now because the 1st amendmant constitutional rights of the U.S.A protect it. Also, it still to this day flies over the state capitol of south carolina and many other places in the south. It has nothing to do with slavery. The civil war was NOT started to free the slaves, it was started to stop the succesion of the south which from what i see of the criminals we have as polotitions now and the raping of our constitution by the supreme court and the patriot act, makes it a damm shame.
Many of my relatives fought in the civil war.

And I said that I wasn't going to get involved with this.

Ok, there are several different arguments that I can make against this. I had family that fought on both sides of the conflict. My Great great great grandfather fought at the Battle of Sabine Pass http://www.wtblock.com/wtblockjr/battleof.htm and was one of a few Confederate soldiers to actually get a medal in the war. I have done a fair amount of research on the war.

First off, the origins of the Civil War did have slavery as its focus. Yes, it is true that the South seceded based upon its concepts of State's rights vs the rule of the Federal Government but in reality the driving force behind the secessionist movement was the right to own slaves. The Southern Gentry, the political class primarily responsible for secessionist movement looked upon the growing power base in the North with fear. Until the 1840s the South was the political and the military source of power for the United States and that dominance was fast starting to wane by the 1850s. The loss of Kansas as a potential slave state in the fighting of the 'Bloody Kansas' wars of the 1850s cemented the view of many Southerners that the North would eventually exert its control over the South and would make these landed Gentry give up their 'property'. These people were the ones that led the secessionist movements in the late 1850s and the election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860 simply cemented the fears of these leaders of the South.

As for Lincoln, he never ran on a platform of eliminating slavery in the South. In fact, until 1863 he continued to hold fast to the policy that if the Southern States returned to the Union there would be no elimination of slavery in the South. Lincoln originally ordered Union commanders to return escaped slaves to their owners, he was hoping that cooler heads would prevail. He had a famous quote, "If I could preserve the Union by freeing all of the slaves I would do it. If I could preserve it by freeing none of the slaves I would do that and if I could preserve the Union by freeing some slaves and keeping others enslaved I would do that too." Even after the Emancipation Proclamation was read not all slaves were officially freed. Slaves in Maryland, Delaware, Missouri and Kentucky, the four Southern States that did not leave the Union, were not included in the Proclamation. The EP only covered slaves in states that seceded from the Union. It wasn't until the 13th Ammendment that slavery was officially abolished.

In reality, the EP was actually used as a ploy to continue interest in the war. Up until Antietem the war had been a disaster for the Union forces. Again and again the Union Army of the Potomac was embarrased. Lincoln knew that the North was getting pretty tired of the war. Up until 1863 the entire focus of the war was the retention of the Union. Most of the early volunteers for the Union Army joined simply because they wanted to retain the Union. It was thought that the Southern secession was illegal and that this war was simply one to bring the union back together. Once it was realized that this war was not going to be an easy war many in the North began to wonder about the need for the Southern States. If Lee had won at Gettysburg (and he came darned close) then Lincoln more than likely would have lost re-election and McClellan would have won the Presidency. That would have meant a Southern Confederacy.

The Emancipation Proclamation turned the war from a political conflict into a moral one. The war shifted in its focus after the EP was put in place. In reality there was a lot of conflict among Union troops initially. Many didn't think that this war should be one of liberation and it took a while for the focus to shift to that.

In all honesty, I bristle when people say the war wasn't about slavery. It was entirely about slavery. If Lincoln, a member of an abolitionist party, hadn't been elected then it is unlikely that the South would have seceded. Even after Lincoln assured the South that he wouldn't eliminate slavery they still left the Union. In fact, most Southern States seceded before Lincoln even took office. Yes, it was a state's rights issue but it was an issue about a state's right to own another human being. I should also point out that the vast majority, 2/3 of the white population owned no slaves and less than 1% owned 50 or more slaves. Most of the slaves were on plantations and averaged 20 or more. Very few Southern whites, the ones that actually died in the war, actually owned another human being.

Sorry, this has been a fascinating subject for me for years and I have read quite a bit about it. Many Southerners, many of them friends of mine, have a hard time reconciling the causes of the Civil War with the reasons for it starting. The rationalle for the war doesn't diminish the bravery and the fantastic accomplishments of their leaders but the 'cause', as it was called, was not as noble as many of the Southern leadership tried to make it. In all honesty, many of the major leaders of the Confederate military, to include Robert E. Lee, James Longstreet, and PGT Beauregard after the war acknowleged that the concept of slavery was something that the South shouldn't have fought for. Lee was never for the war but he felt more loyalty to his state over his country. Before the Civil War this was a concept that many individuals held. It wasn't until the restoration of the Union in 1865 that this thought pattern was eventually diminished in the South.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#2937076 - 01/11/10 10:01 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: Wklink]  
CHDT Offline
CHDT  Offline

Switzerland
Simple.

If showing swatiskas is allowed in Israel...

http://www.degem.net/viewart.php?artid=108

http://www.degem.net/viewart.php?artid=53

... it should be allowed everywhere in the world, of course only for historical or documentary reasons.

Case closed (so tired I am of the PC brigade).

#2937077 - 01/11/10 10:03 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: CHDT]  
CHDT Offline
CHDT  Offline

Switzerland
Btw, I won't buy the game, if HISTORICALLY-accurate markings cannot be shown.

#2937081 - 01/11/10 10:09 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: Wklink]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

Originally Posted By: SimHQ Tom Cofield

Sorry, this has been a fascinating subject for me for years and I have read quite a bit about it.

I am really impressed. Thank you.

Michael

#2938190 - 01/12/10 08:51 PM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: DocW]  
SsSsSsSsSnake Offline
SsSsSsSsSnake  Offline

Leicester UK
i didint bput the debug in or vinagerette but it works ok for me just putting swastikas:=no

ssssssssssssssssssssssssss
2600kI7.Corsair G60 liquid cooler.8gig corsair dominator,GTX580.64gig Crucial M4 ssd Win7 os.OCZ 120gig games SSD.Hazro 27" 2560x1440.
CH Fighter stick, CH pro throttle.CH rudder pedals.
#2938391 - 01/13/10 01:32 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: CHDT]  
Desode Offline
Ps3 & 360 GT : DESODE
Desode  Offline
Ps3 & 360 GT : DESODE

Originally Posted By: CHDT

Just buy it from Yuplay and then you will be able to have the marking enabled.

Forumrunners.com When you crave teamwork at the Highest Level ! Were waiting for you !

#2941073 - 01/17/10 05:13 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: Desode]  
coochie Offline
coochie  Offline

florida
I just got my swastikas working. Remember, the config.blk file that you change is not the one in your Wop files in the program files. Mine was in C;coochie/documents and settings/ documents/ my games/wop etc.

My wop game is actually installed on my d drive/ program files etc. and there is a config.blk file in there also but that is not the one you change.

#2942252 - 01/19/10 03:02 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: Desode]  
Amuro Offline
Amuro  Offline

Originally Posted By: Desode
Originally Posted By: CHDT

Just buy it from Yuplay and then you will be able to have the marking enabled.

They said that the yuplay version will have this removed in a future update.

#2954869 - 02/08/10 07:26 PM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: Amuro]  
Aces High 2 Offline
AKA: "Aces" (Sim123)
Aces High 2  Offline
AKA: "Aces" (Sim123)

Kingston, Surrey, UK.
Hi chaps,

I tried adding the lines to the config file(s) but,as reported, it didn't work with the Steam version but I did manager to enable the marking by the following method.

In game goto the Options menu and then to the General menu. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Historical Decals and change it to yes and apply. Thjis took me to the login screen for the Yuplay website and an option to enable historical decal. I applied this download autoatically. Restarted the game and then went back to the Options -- General menu again and selected yes for the Historical Decals and hey presto they were applied in game. I am in the UK by the way.

Regards

Aces

Edit: Kudos to the devs for providing this option for those of us that like their decals historical smile

Last edited by Aces High 2; 02/08/10 07:36 PM.

"IL-2 MAT Manager" program co-dev., Silent Hunter III "Super Turms", "Super Pens", Multi-Skin Bombers dev. for Wings of Victory BDG version 2.10 + various Steel Fury mods. BDG member, "Modder".

Aces' Downloads: http://tinyurl.com/bn2aoqt
Aces' YouTube: http://tinyurl.com/clvy94f
My "Stuka Vor" Film: https://vimeo.com/196439362
CloD Virtual Cockpits Vid: https://youtu.be/Emn2dkYGk74
BoS Bump Maps Vid: https://youtu.be/J24WAVDwo-M
My PhotoArt/Virtual Galleries: http://www.leighkempphotoart.co.uk/
#2955147 - 02/09/10 07:53 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: Aces High 2]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

Well, that's the official way to get the decals in the UK. The problem is activating them with IPs from France, Germany and in that respect similar countries. You just used the settings as you should.

Michael

Last edited by DocW; 02/09/10 07:54 AM.
#3008858 - 05/08/10 09:11 PM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: SkyHigh]  
Rotagen Offline
Rotagen  Offline

The swastika issue bothers me no end. For chrissakes symbols have no power, unless you have a weak mind. And I need no more additional reminders of the current Orwellian state of affairs.

#3009010 - 05/09/10 05:06 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: Rotagen]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

Originally Posted By: Rotagen
The swastika issue bothers me no end. For chrissakes symbols have no power, unless you have a weak mind. And I need no more additional reminders of the current Orwellian state of affairs.

Well said.

Michael.

#3009028 - 05/09/10 06:36 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: Rotagen]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
The swastika issue bothers me no end. For chrissakes symbols have no power, unless you have a weak mind.

Where you from, Rotagen?
I'm going shopping for TP later on, thought I might pick up your nation's flag to use.
Or perhaps you could get a swastika tattoed on your forehead, and enjoy the reactions of the weakminded.

Of course symbols have power. That's why they're called symbols.

#3009064 - 05/09/10 10:44 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: tagTaken2]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Obviously, the act of tatooing a symbol on one's forehead carries considerable symbolic power in itself. Simply wishing for historic accuracy in a wwii flight simulator hardly counts as an equally extreme act, surely? I, for one, am no closet nazi sympathizer, and feel no guilt in wishing for swastikas, think guilt would be absurd. But I would certainly consider someone who mutilates their forehead with a swastika most likely to be a strong nazi supporter.

#3016921 - 05/23/10 05:51 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: SkyHigh]  
Rotagen Offline
Rotagen  Offline

Study the origin of the swastika; read a book. It has nothing to do with nazis unless you wish it to, or society tells you to.

It's a game, grow up.

A guy with a swastika on his forehead needs attention, therefore...ignore him.

I'd happily wipe my arse with any flag you give me, if no TP is handy, especially an american flag. Oh yeah. I'm a 'Mercan. LOL. I give not a sh*t. (hey, thats almost poetic).

And if you wouldn't do the same with the aussie flag (basically a minor variation on the brit flag because of their "owned" status for so many years), remind me to never go camping with you. hehe.

#3021398 - 05/30/10 12:59 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: Rotagen]  
BULL Offline
BULL  Offline

Study the origin of the swastika; read a book. It has nothing to do with nazis unless you wish it to, or society tells you to.

It's a game, grow up.

A guy with a swastika on his forehead needs attention, therefore...ignore him.

I'd happily wipe my arse with any flag you give me, if no TP is handy, especially an american flag. Oh yeah. I'm a 'Mercan. LOL. I give not a sh*t. (hey, thats almost poetic).

And if you wouldn't do the same with the aussie flag (basically a minor variation on the brit flag because of their "owned" status for so many years), remind me to never go camping with you. hehe.

You could try leaves...

#4381616 - 09/27/17 08:58 AM Re: Enabling Swastikas [Re: BULL]  
schaetzle Offline
schaetzle  Offline

I have found how to have swastikas on the german planes.
Try to download the following version.Wings of Prey Collectors Edition (2011) [PCDVD][MULTi9][WwW.ZoNaTorrent.CoM].iso
Install the game. start it. When you are asked to install "youplay", do not do it. When you are asked to join any server, do not do it.
go to options, look for the line historical decals, say yes. Done! Now the german planes will depict a swastika on their tails. The history will therefore not be insulted.
I think that this version has been re-engineered to allow the change.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.