Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3000781 - 04/24/10 10:13 PM Another Spit pit  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet

Last edited by Sokol1; 04/24/10 10:46 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3000797 - 04/24/10 11:12 PM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: Sokol1]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
That is too cool, I love it!

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
FIA Formula One World Championship
#3001254 - 04/26/10 03:18 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: TailFlamer]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Been quietly watching this one on the forum over there its really a remarkable pit!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3001359 - 04/26/10 09:57 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
More views of it here...
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/spitfire-ix-cockpit-1-1-a-17217-24.html
A lot of other nice pits going together as well.

#3020761 - 05/28/10 09:01 PM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
Joes Shop Offline
Joes Shop  Offline

MA, USA
Amazing Work!

Regards,

J. P. Kelly

System: Intel P4 2.80 GHz., 80 GB/2 HD
Display: 17" XGA TFT
Memory: 1024 MB DDR SDRAM
Video: ATI Radeon IGP 345m w/128 MB Ram
Controls: Saitek X52, Rudder Pedals and Eclipse Keyboard
Current: Third Wire WOV, EAW 1.28d 1024 /SPAW/SPAW45 FAW Fleet Defender, IL-2. Learning: F/A-18 PSF/OIF, Falcon 4 AF, EF2000 Ver 2.0, SH Series (Pacific Aces)
#3025963 - 06/06/10 09:10 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: Joes Shop]  
DarrylH Offline
DarrylH  Offline

Thankyou Gents, glad you like her.

Very soon now (when I finish these crazy work hours) she will get finished off. Still a bit of wiring, installing and an inside paint job (not happy with the current green which did not come mixed anything like the paint chip!!) to go, along with a couple of custom PRU bits and pieces.

Darryl H, AKA Killratio AKA Tony Hill

PRU Spitfires..alone, fast and stealthy.
In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.
#3026547 - 06/07/10 07:58 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: DarrylH]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Hey mate,glad to see you here...Keep up the good work.Don,t stress on the "cockpit green" too much.Have an original throttle quadrant somewhere and the green comes in three shades on the front and back plates... smile
For best result I think Humbrol 66 is the best bet..

#3026554 - 06/07/10 08:34 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
DarrylH Offline
DarrylH  Offline

G'day mate!

Yeah, I know it is a bit of a dogs breakfast but I was hoping for something close. the paint I had mixed looked good on the chip but, oh boy, probably 1/2 to 1/3 of the tone when on the skin!

I got a new colour spray pack last night and gave one section a squirt...net result..TOO dark. BUT, at least it looks a bit better than too light. And I have seen a Spit XVI with a very similar toning that Tony Bianchi was flying, so I will go ahead with it I think. A bit more "manly" than the light green.

Cheers and glad to be here...

Darryl

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.
#3036356 - 06/21/10 02:44 PM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: DarrylH]  
DarrylH Offline
DarrylH  Offline

At last a bit of progress. 3 full days work I had set aside turned into two half days..but never mind.

Before:

The completed Landing Lamp Unit:

I am half way through a respray of the interior to this new green colour..still not quite right but as close as I am going to try to get.

I spent a lot of extra time on the LLU because of the great pictures I had access to. Thanks mate!!

It is a nice looking unit and it looks great mounted under the panel. I just have to do a legend for it and finish the painting in the area and it can go back in. Pictures then!

The radiator shutter lever has been ditched and I have ordered another which will look spot on and work of a pot for controlling radiator shutters (or cowl flaps in GA aircraft Thunderbolt etc.)

More soon hopefully.

Darryl

#3047680 - 07/08/10 03:11 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: DarrylH]  
DarrylH Offline
DarrylH  Offline

OK, finally some photos of the Throttle (and you can see the new better green interior as well on the last two photos..the throttle pics washed out with the flash.).

1. Closed position, Prop Pitch full fine...as you would leave the aircraft.

2. Maximum weak mixture setting with the mixture lever (left) at its full travel. The throttle can be moved forward from here but will exceed the allowable boost if weak mixture is selected. When the throttle is closed from here it takes the mixture back with it to "rich" (fully back) position, so the engine can not be run at weak mixture and low power, which causes detonation if allowed to happen.

3. The warning horn switch (rear) and undercarriage indicator power switch(forward).

4. The label for the throttle...carved with an engraving dremel bit into the wood handle I made.

5. Full rated boost with the throttle at the forward stop...if moved a little left from here it can be pushed further forward to the takeoff setting (or to full boost if the boost override cutout is flipped. I've just noticed that this setting is NOT safe as the mixture is "weak"..it should be pulled back fully...Ill catch hell from the Mechanic for that!!

6. Top view..you can see the stop on the left for the mixture at half way...also the forward stop for Rated Boost and then the slip chanel of the gate to go sideways and a little further forward into Take off Boost.

And a couple of the monitor tray now ready to be installed after the wiring is finished.

#3047718 - 07/08/10 04:47 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: DarrylH]  

California
Amazing work!

#3049680 - 07/11/10 12:52 PM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: DarrylH]  
J.A.K. Offline
J.A.K.  Offline

The Netherlands
Love the work you are doing Darryl, true work of love smile
Like the throttle explanation, never fully had the understanding how the interaction of the throttle and mixture setting worked on a Spitfire quadrant.

#3050213 - 07/12/10 02:15 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: J.A.K.]  
DarrylH Offline
DarrylH  Offline

Thanks guys!! Glad the throttle explaination helps.

I got a heap more done over the weekend. The plan WAS to do all the wiring and make her flyable.

I had been toying with a wiring plan, a while back, that hid most of the wires. The "electrical" equipment is easy...since wires are supposed to show..but the hydraulic, pneaumatic, mechanical functions obviously shouldn't have wires hanging off them!! I hit upon the idea of running the wiring through the hyd/pneu lines. Now this will look good but, of course, means ALL those lines need to be put in place before/during wiring.

This will slow things up considerably. However it should look a treat. The first one I have done is the Windscreen De-ice (just the pipe from the tap to the bottom of the panel. So there are no wires showing at all but a beautiful "brass" pipe that runs forward.

For small diameter pipe I used 4mm garden trickle with coat hanger wire put through it, primed with polyethelene primer (an EVIL brew which you should really use a respirator for!) and sprayed with a high gloss "gold" outdoor fitting paint.

The larger pipes will be half inch copper (which I may leave natural to develop a patina, seal with a metal protect coat or spray "gold" as well).

As soon as I find the camera charger I'll post pictures.

cheers

Darryl

#3062646 - 07/29/10 12:37 PM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: DarrylH]  
DarrylH Offline
DarrylH  Offline

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I battled the million little problems that always plague something that is “practically finished”. But all the frustration was worth it. By 23.30 I was ready and called my long suffering wife in. I had decided to give her first flight. It was actually more fun to watch I think. Unfortunately the video battery died but I was NOT postponing.

After a 10 minute briefing on procedures etc, she went through the startup drill (with minimal prodding) and that beautiful Merlin roared to life. Takeoff was “interesting” but basically safe. The U/C “up” was flawless, no Spitfire wobble at all….bi7ch!!!! 

There followed a 32 minute flight where she chased a few AI around Biggin Hill, beat up a small field nearby (not sure which, but they will have rung the authorities by now  ), tested the instruments and after an aborted first circuit made a very passable “wheeler” landing back at Biggin. The brakes unfortunately proved very effective at the end of the landing run .... but nothing a new prop won’t fix. 

She is definitely a fan now and I got the nod of approval on my building. Seeing the War Office get so excited about something like that is a rare privilege indeed!

So then it was on to the advanced air test. It all felt quite natural getting her started. The temps came up fairly quickly as the engine was still hot from Tracey’s flight, so a quick taxi was in order (thankfully the ground run tests had honed my skills on the brakes). Without much pre-flight (Fuel, mixture, prop pitch, elevator trim, temps and throttle ) I let off the brakes and eased the throttle forward at about the same rate as my right leg. A bit of right aileron as well. When the tail came up though she gave a kick to the left and I needed to boot in more right rudder. (I have read where some pilots use their feet rather than setting the rudder trim, as you have to retrim immediately after takeoff in any case and the rudder forces are not huge …I tried this and think it is probably the method I will adopt permanently…you just need to watch the kick as the tail comes up..standard tailwheel flying stuff really). In what seemed like a heartbeat she was airborne and it was time for the U/C. A little bit of porpoising (and a raised eyebrow from the War Office!) and we were off. +6 Boost and 2650 and she climbs like a homesick angel. Level off at 5,000 just under 2 minutes later. Time for a HASEL check. That done, into the test.

The controls are great. Full stop. The aircraft should be and is, VERY sensitive in pitch. Very small movements fore and aft are necessary OR in fact desirable. The total travel is only about 22deg full forward to full back. In tests they found that in a steep turn, a backwards pull of only ¾ of an inch is enough to induce pre stall buffet. The A2A model is not quite that severe but almost. Tight turns are a joy though.

Next came a couple of lazy slow rolls. For me as an aerobatic pilot, flying a roll without feet on the rudder pedals is counter-intuitive. But the Spitfire does this admirably. I could almost hear the “aaahhhhh’s” from people on the ground 

Then I tried some square rolls. WOW!!!!!! The first was spot on with perfect 90deg angles and a nice little “cough” while inverted. The next two I got cocky and missed the angles by 5-10 degrees….oh well. Not the aircraft’s fault.

On to the Cuban eights as a pre-requisite for a full loop. First one worked a charm and I used a normal half roll off the top of both halves. The second was also great and I threw in spirited square half rolls for good measure. The cockpit handles it all very nicely.

A loop was next and that went off without a hitch, although you need to be very careful on the pullout as the whole world gets grey pretty quickly. (note to self, rig a G Meter somewhere).

I left the Stall Turn until after all this, as they are not all that easy. I find that in the Spitfire there is a nasty surprise (the model, I wonder if the real one is the same?) The fact that the controls remain effective right down to the stall means that it hard to judge when to do the “turn” part of “stall turn”. The first one I fell into through too much rudder authority and was lucky to avoid a spin. The second I tail slid out of because I held on too long (…not a nice feeling in real life). The third was perfect.

I’ll leave the “Upward Charlies” until I get a better feel but want to get at least two in a row out of her.

Last but not least was a shallow dive at full boost reaching 390mph from 6,000ft. As fast as I wanted to go first up and ending at 1000ft. Then I dodged trees back to Biggin for a “run and break”.

The circuit was a bit wide but the speeds were spot on and she settled into a perfect three pointer at 65mph.

WHAT A BUZZ!!!!!!!!

A few shots, video asap.

The office.

From rear starboard quarter

Panel

Pipe detailing, right hand side.

Landing Lamp Unit and Compass

Helmet and Masks

#3062686 - 07/29/10 01:48 PM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: DarrylH]  
J.A.K. Offline
J.A.K.  Offline

The Netherlands
Congratulations with the first test flight!

#3062775 - 07/29/10 02:58 PM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: J.A.K.]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439

Congrates on the maiden flight. It's a work of art.

#3062854 - 07/29/10 04:26 PM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: Falstar]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Too bloody perfect Darry....I applaud you sir. clapping

Falstar, nice sentiment...but not quite right....here we go:

Last edited by WH_PropNut; 07/29/10 04:28 PM.

F/A-18C Hornet cockpit build project:

http://hornetpits.org/index.php?topic=15.0
#3063335 - 07/30/10 03:00 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: PropNut]  
MudPuppy Offline
MudPuppy  Offline

Appalachian foothills in Virgi...
Congrats on it all coming together so well! I think I've looked at these pics of your Spitfire pit 3 times today. smile Great work!
Derek

#3063346 - 07/30/10 03:19 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: MudPuppy]  
DarrylH Offline
DarrylH  Offline

Thanks all for your comments. The encouragement and motivation I have been given right along has been fantastic.It has been an interesting project and I will post some video on Youtube as soon as i can work it all out.

There are a few cosmetic bits left to do and any changes that need to be made when the Accusim pack comes out.

It has been a wild ride...now I just have to find some time to fly her!!

#3063419 - 07/30/10 06:14 AM Re: Another Spit pit [Re: DarrylH]  

California
Fly Her?! You mean all that stuff works j/k! It's an impressive work of art and a unique simpit, truly one of a kind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.