Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2994299 - 04/13/10 02:06 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: oldgrognard]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Thanks Sinner.

Scorpion, I'd prefer a "full" helmet but arguable with glasses it is really a bother. The good modular helmets (Nolan...) have 100% "remains locked" crash test results. This is arguable the weakest point about the Roof Boxer design, they are using a rather odd method of fixing the chinbar in down position. The Shark Evoline uses a similar "rotating chinbar" style but a much better lock...

Still, I'm not doing 200km/h on the racetrack... I would hope I remain inside the envelope where even a jet helmet would do.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2994457 - 04/13/10 06:41 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
BTW, another interesting Helmet Design seems to be the Shark Evoline:
Here

Basically the Roof Boxer pioneered the concept of a fully "convertible" Jet/Integral helmet, and Shark has improved it with a more stable lock for the chin system. Both fold the chin piece completely to the rear and can be driven at speed "open" which you can't do with a Nolan or Shoel Multitec.

Oh, and here's an awesome website for comparing helmet safety ratings:
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk

#2994577 - 04/13/10 10:43 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Thanks Sinner.

Still, I'm not doing 200km/h on the racetrack... I would hope I remain inside the envelope where even a jet helmet would do.

You do make a good point.

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#2995296 - 04/15/10 11:16 AM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
I'll see what I can do about getting a pic of my Super Glide when we get moved.

You know, one bike I really like is MV Agusta's F4. The single-sided swingarm is cool as hell. I like the Ducati 1198 and Aprilia RSV4 also. I do want another sport bike for fun one day but I don't want to give up my Harley to get one.

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat
#2995783 - 04/16/10 02:49 AM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: Cat]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Here's a couple for you then, Cat. A couple of friends of mine have an 848 and a 1098.

------------
#2995785 - 04/16/10 02:53 AM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
Glad to see helmets an jackets!

It's about 50-50 here for sportbike riders, and even less for the cruiser guys on the helmet thing.

I am always baffled to guys with their helmet visibly strapped to their sissybar. They have a helmet, choose not to wear it, and want you to know that. ?

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
#2995799 - 04/16/10 03:34 AM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: sinner6]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
I never ride without my gear...just don't see why people ride without it. I've got a chip out of the chinbar on my helmet from a rock I met on the interstate one day. To each his own, but I have to laugh when I see those guys packing their helmet on the bike, while riding. A guy pulled past me while I was stopped at light last weekend...he had his helmet hooked on his mirror. Clearly, you don't have to be intelligent to ride a bike...sadly.

------------
#2995866 - 04/16/10 08:27 AM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Helmet is mandatory in the EU. I thought even in Florida you required separate health insurance for permission to ride without?

With the money from selling my old bike I'm also getting myself a good set of leather jeans and jacket. I had a jacket with protectors already but that's not as high quality as it could be.

So yeah, it's funny - on one hand, people like you and me are worried about modular designs not locking the chinbar tightly enough, OTOH some completely ignore even the smallest jet helmet.

#2996314 - 04/16/10 09:28 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
Hey Scorpion, what part of Florida is that? wink

As far as gear, yeah, you really should wear it always. Looking back, I was a real dummy about it. My very first ride on my new SV650 was done in slacks and a polo shirt. I really meant to just ride around the block, but it was such a nice day, I got carried away and rode about 70 miles thru the country. My only motorcycle experience up to that point had been a couple of dirtbike rides and a few cruises around the neighborhood on a Harley. That was very stupid.

I do admit that I will ride to work sometimes in the summer in a T-shirt, with lightweight boots and gloves (and helmet ofcourse), but only when I'm taking a route thru some quiet resedential streets. I still know it's not a great idea.
Any other ride, heavy boots and gloves, pants and jacket.

I work with a guy who wears only a tiny non-legal helmet w/ fake DOT sticker. He's a real good guy, but there is also a woman here just getting into riding (trading up from a scoot'). She asks both of us for advice, but I'm trying very hard to steer her right without getting into a macho pissing contest with Mr. "Naw, you don't need no durn full-face". Luckily she seems intent on not getting ripped to shreds 50mph asphalt.

#2996387 - 04/16/10 11:32 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: arthur666]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Those shots may look familiar to you arthur...Western NC... Cherohala Skyway and Blue Ride Parkway. After vacationing up there for a decade, my best friend and his wife decided to move up there about 5 years ago, so we go visit as much as we can. Riding those roads through TN/NC/GA is like a religious experience. Since he knows all the roads we get some really great riding in with minimal traffic. If you ride over that way, post up on his forum (www.ridewnc.com) and let him know that you'll be in the area.

------------
#2996415 - 04/17/10 12:35 AM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: K6_Scorpion
Those shots may look familiar to you arthur...Western NC... Cherohala Skyway and Blue Ride Parkway. After vacationing up there for a decade, my best friend and his wife decided to move up there about 5 years ago, so we go visit as much as we can. Riding those rodes through TN/NC/GA is like a religious experience. Since he knows all the roads we get some really great riding in with minimal traffic.

It's gotta be one of the best riding areas east of the Mississippi. A year ago, we rode to Deal's Gap (of course) and damned if it didn't rain the whole time. We still rode it a few times, but it was less than ideal.
I live for curvy roads and am about 3 hours from the Parkway, so several tiomes I've made a day-trip up to Roanoke VA or West Jefferson NC via the BRP to get my fix. But its not nearly as good as the area you're talking about.

#2997703 - 04/19/10 04:15 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: arthur666]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Giving this a bump.

Spent 800EUR last weekend, on a matched pair of pants and jacket (textile, leather was too expensive and hot) and a brand new helmet (the Roof Boxer V8 I linked previously). Also got myself some cheap MC boots, better than street shoes for sure.

Can anyone recommend some exercises to get comfortable with really "leaning" into a turn? I still notice that my "mental" limit is at 90km/h in most turns, and at about 25, maybe 30 degrees tilt. It's a bad habit and not good for driving safely that I'm having to drop the gas in turns (down from going the the 100km/h speed limit) even if other drivers easily can do the same turn on the same bike at full speed. I need to become comfortable with turning tighter.

#2997709 - 04/19/10 04:29 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
heh, back I used to ride, I'd tilt the bike so hard to the left that the kickstand pad bracket would scrape the pavement. I was young and bulletproof, what can I say?

Exercises? No, can't think of any, just keep up with overall conditioning.

And be careful out there.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2997820 - 04/19/10 06:53 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: 20mm]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
I just called local police, and they don't mind guys practicing at the empty parking lots (on sundays) of the big grocery/convenience stores at the border of town. I'll do some circles there. There used to be more places like that (large concrete areas), owned by farmers who use them to load their crop from the tractor to truck, but sadly they've all been closed off to public in the recent years.

Had an interesting discussion with my dad yesterday: He's been riding 10 years (same as I) but he never tried a full "emergency power" braking ever. Contrary to that, I did three or four tries this last sunday, down from 70km/h and even 80, I braked so hard that the front ABS system engaged and started "pumping". Point being, I believe that only thorough practice will keep you save, and most people sadly never spend the time and interest to even try and find the limits of their bike. If your first experience of fully hitting a stop is when you actually NEED it (like the idiot turning onto your lane without seeing you) then chances are good you won't make it.

#2997869 - 04/19/10 08:44 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
In Texas it is now mandatory that you go through a Motorcycle Training Safety Course before you can get your license. But like my instructor said at the completion, "You are now licensed by the State of Texas to ride a 250cc Motorcycle in a Parking Lot."

However it does give a good learning experience to the basics.
There is a great DVD available for Cruiser riders called "How to ride like a pro 5"
I am working through it right now. It is taught by the guy that teachs the California Highway Patrol Motorcycle Division. Good stuff.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#2997872 - 04/19/10 08:56 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: Bill_Grant
In Texas it is now mandatory that you go through a Motorcycle Training Safety Course before you can get your license. But like my instructor said at the completion, "You are now licensed by the State of Texas to ride a 250cc Motorcycle in a Parking Lot."

However it does give a good learning experience to the basics.

Yeah, that's still probably better than people buying a bike when they're not even capable of that.

And they'll do it, too. Back in 2000 a friend and I decided to get motorcycles, and though not required, we took the basic course, and I actually felt like a got a lot out of it. Seeing us, a friend of my friend got the itch and went out and bought a brand new motorcycle with all the accessories, totaling US$24,000.00, and had never once even been on a motorcycle. They had to deliver it to him on a truck, since he couldn't ride it off the lot.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#2997875 - 04/19/10 09:00 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: Arthonon]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Why not just go take some racing lessons.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#2997893 - 04/19/10 09:23 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: KraziKanuK]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
No circuit around here.

I'm always amazed that in some US places you still don't seem to need any special two-wheel training at all before you can ride a bike?

#2997903 - 04/19/10 09:35 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st

I'm always amazed that in some US places you still don't seem to need any special two-wheel training at all before you can ride a bike?

Nope. Just became a LAW this past September in Texas.
Prior to that, you just had to pass the Drivers Test to get your license, or take the MTSC in lieu of the Drivers Test.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#2997950 - 04/19/10 11:05 PM Re: The Motorcycles Thread! [Re: Bill_Grant]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
For Florida in the 80's you took the written test which gave you a learner's permit, so you could go practice for the riding test, then you came back and performed that. To get a base sticker for your bike at Camp Lejeune around the same time, you needed to take a Rider Safety Course. Last year, Florida mandated that you get your license, if you don't already have one, after completing a Rider Safety Course. They're usually a two day class mixed with practical application and bookwork to prep you for the riding and written test, which you take at the end of the 2 day class. It's a good idea, because like you guys stated, some people don't really exercise common sense when getting a bike. A motorcycle should not be an impulse buy... at least in my opinion.

Colonel, do you have any roundabouts in your area? That's a good place to practice, providing there's no traffic or really light traffic since it gives you reference points. If you're going to practice in a parking lot, get some cones so you're not just weaving around randomly. As was suggested, track days are a great place to learn. The control riders are normally willing to help you out with pointers and let you know what you're doing right and wrong. As unbelievable as it sounds, there is some good information about riding on youtube. Try checking out the Ty Howard clips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMORP97wKSU) for some riding advice.

------------
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.