Forums » Technology » Flight Sim Controllers » FOXY (Thrustmaster Cougar) » The definitive Cougar site? Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#2992981 - 04/10/10 08:53 PM The definitive Cougar site?
- Ice Offline
Hotshot

Loc: Philippines / North East UK
I'm looking to make full use of my Cougar, but I don't have time to earn the Cougar degree that is apparently needed. Can anyone point me to anywhere for help?

I think I have the thing installed correctly, because it works in the game, but I am confused about how to program it. Do I do it via Foxy? Again I don't have the time to learn programming... do I do it via whatever sim I'm playing then?

I also remember other joysticks have a sort of 'mode' button which you hold/press so that the buttons on the stick now actually perform a different function... does the Cougar have this? Where/which is it?

#2993107 - 04/11/10 03:20 AM Re: The definitive Cougar site? [Re: - Ice]
WalterNowi Offline

Loc: Arcadia, CA
I think Foxy provides the interface to program the files. If you don't want to spend too much time learning to program, just start out from the profiles that come with the Foxy installation.

As for the mode button. It's the dogfight switch, labeled as such on the throttle.
ASUS DirectCu GTX 770 2 Gb
Seasonic X850 850W
Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt
CH Products PT/TQ/MFP
Slaw Pedals
TrackIR 5

#2993124 - 04/11/10 05:17 AM Re: The definitive Cougar site? [Re: WalterNowi]
- Ice Offline
Hotshot

Damn, I really need someone to talk me through this. Any other Cougar owners there? I've never really programmed my older joysticks aside from what I could do in-game (all the different modes tend to confuse me) but to do that to the Cougar seems like an injustice.

#2993189 - 04/11/10 09:43 AM Re: The definitive Cougar site? [Re: - Ice]
VF-2 John Banks Offline

Loc: Berlin, Germany
http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/

That is THE Cougar site! smile
PALIT GTX570, 1.280 MB DDR5 RAM, PCIe, dual DVI/HDMI
TOSHIBA 37" LCD
Win 7 Home Pro 64bit
240 GB Corsair SSD Force Series 3
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality Gamer
2x4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU 750W
TrackIR3 Pro
HOTAS Cougar with "Uber NxT" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
pair of leather gloves

#2993210 - 04/11/10 10:14 AM Re: The definitive Cougar site? [Re: VF-2 John Banks]
Billzilla Online   content

Loc: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
This thread is not what I thought it'd be. frown

smile
Down to harsh language

#2993223 - 04/11/10 10:29 AM Re: The definitive Cougar site? [Re: VF-2 John Banks]
geo111 Offline

Loc: PA, USA
If you want to use the sim to assign your Cougars buttons to functions, open Foxy and load:

TM Default for games.tmj

This assigns the Cougars buttons to Direct X key presses. This will work for most simple assignments. If that wont get it done, programming is pretty easy.

You don't really program the cougar as much as you write a script.

Your Cougar "program" is made up from a macro and a joystick file. The macro file is where you define your key presses The joystick file is where you assign those key presses to specific buttons.

Your macro file consists of statements like this:

WheelBrakes = b
LandingGear = g

Your Joystick file consists of statements like this:

BTN T2 WheelBrakes
BTN H4D LandingGear

Foxy has an application called Composer that makes writing the joystick file really easy. With Composer, its mostly point and click.

I'll be glad to try and answer any questions that you have.

#2993252 - 04/11/10 11:07 AM Re: The definitive Cougar site? [Re: - Ice]
almccoyjr Offline

Loc: Austell, GA.
The "DOG FIGHT" switch on the throttle is used to change modes. It has three settings, back, center and forward.

I use the back or rear position for ground/runway and normal flight. The center position is used for dogfight/attack which changes the functions of the buttons on the throttle/joystick for weapons, radar, chaff etc. When heading home, I switch back to rear setting.

This will have to be programed unless you find a profile that has this already setup. You can then modify the profile to meet your specific needs. One "easy" way is to printout and compare different profiles to see how various functions were programed.

You really need to do some reading on the Cougar to to be able to use it's full potential. When Frugal's went down, we lost the one, major site for Cougar programming assistance....SIGH!!!!!

plug_nickel (Al)

#2993417 - 04/11/10 05:57 PM Re: The definitive Cougar site? [Re: almccoyjr]
- Ice Offline
Hotshot

Thanks for the help guys. I've been to the flyfoxy site but the info seems outdated. Is it?

Now my question for you Cougar uses: would you recommend I learn this FOXY thing and do my button assignments there, or is it easier for me to just program the stick via the in-game assignment section?

I'm looking to use the Cougar for A-10 flying in Flaming Cliffs 2. I would happily use it on Falcon 4 AF but I don't have enough time to re-study and re-learn F4AF (and re-print the tutorial section of the manual!) and I'd rather get to flying ASAP which the 'simpler' FC2 setting seems to be able to deliver. What this all means is that I'll be mostly moving mud so I don't have a whole lot of 'buttons' to map.

Thanks!

#2993436 - 04/11/10 06:41 PM Re: The definitive Cougar site? [Re: - Ice]
almccoyjr Offline

Loc: Austell, GA.
Go to the Cougar.FlyFoxy site and download the LOMAC A-10 Realistic profile. It'll be a good base profile to modify for FC2.

plug_nickel (Al)

#2993461 - 04/11/10 07:41 PM Re: The definitive Cougar site? [Re: - Ice]
bofman Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Originally Posted By: - Ice

I also remember other joysticks have a sort of 'mode' button which you hold/press so that the buttons on the stick now actually perform a different function... does the Cougar have this? Where/which is it?

Hi there Ice, I think the button you're referring to is the S3 button, the pinky button on the joystick. It is used to change the mode of every switch and button on both the throttle and stick, thereby doubling the input commands available. Eg, the paddle in front of it could be programmed to advance the next steerpoint OR with the S3 button held, the paddle could be programmed to eject.
Saitek Pro rudder pedals
TrackIR IV v5
2 x Bodnar BU0836X boards

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Comanche Gold on Windows 8
by ufolev
04:31 AM
range time :)
by kail
02:36 AM
Flying "suite class" on Singapore Airlines
by Pizzicato
12:51 AM
Google Earth Stalingrad overlay
by Hooves
12:12 AM
2014 Atlanta Warbird Weekend
by CJBuff
10:28 PM
Morning Glory
by DrZebra
09:28 PM
Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas
by Haggart
05:49 PM
Digital Foxy ver 4.5a
by Gunner V
05:35 PM
Whatever Happened To a SimHQ Moderator Named "Cat" ...Is She Still Around ?
by Haggart
05:30 PM
TM MFD monitor
by specialksl
05:06 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.