Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2986801 - 03/31/10 04:43 PM NO LONGER PLAYING ROF!  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

I purchased ROF on day one. I was able to play the game reasonably well up until the last couple of updates. I'm basically fed up with trying to play anymore. The screen stutters are giving me headaches.

Before I get any responses about tweaking, let me say I've tried everything ever posted here and on the ROF forum before reaching this inevitable conclusion.

My system specs:

Falcon-NW Fragbox 2 Gaming PC
Vista 32-bit OS
Intel Duo-Core E8500 3.16GHZ Chip
ATI Palit Radeon 4850 GC
4MB Ram

Before anyone else tells me that ROF is optimized for Quad-Core, know this: I also have several friends that are experiencing the same issues on their Quads. This game seems to run at 100% CPU use ALL the time (which makes you wonder about your chip's long-term viability.) I'm running in XP Comp Mode and with game setting memory usage at 35% and still no improvements!

So, as much as I love ROF I'm shelving it for now until they devs address this ongoing problem or I upgrade my system in the future. I'll play those "other" two WWI sims.

IN CONCLUSION: I think the ROF devs need to at least make available a roll-back method to restore ROF to previous updates for those of us having consistent problems (and there are many of us.) I can do without the extra features just to be able to play the game better. Additionally these problems seem to be random no matter what system you are running (in other words, it seems to be the luck of the draw.)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2986838 - 03/31/10 05:28 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: trek]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
This game seems to run at 100% CPU use ALL the time

Very efficient yes

As opposed to the situation where people are unhappy that cores remain unused I mean. No point in having cores that are idling

I think the ROF devs need to at least make available a roll-back method to restore ROF to previous updates for those of us having consistent problems

Amen to that, good idea trek.

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2986862 - 03/31/10 06:14 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
Yes, forcing players to update and not being able to roll back to earier versions is not a player friendly design. Developer can not always assume that the new version is best for all players with respect to performance.

Version options should be provided for players, IMHO.

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.
#2986872 - 03/31/10 06:49 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: Buddye1]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Well, Ming in MOST cases 100% CPU usage IS a good thing, but consistent 100% usage ALL the time with constant in-game problems is not good usage of same. Something in the ROF game engine is not utilizing memory efficiently at all. From reading comments over at the ROF forums, some users are experiencing overheating cpus.

#2986878 - 03/31/10 06:55 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: Buddye1]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Sorry to hear that trek, yes a lot of folk with dual core setups seem to be having problems, but those with quad cores until recently have not exactly been in simming Nirvana either, depending on who you ask. It does seem to be a bit of a lottery as you say, had lots of bother myself but mainly with TrackIR.

I am a staunch advocate of the KBO philosophy however (KeepBuggeringOn), I get knocked down but I get up again. Nil Desperandum. Smile2

The roll back option should be a given.....Very apprehensive about new patches myself. The Good Neoqb giveth, and they taketh away Smile2

Hope things get sorted for you mate Smile2

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#2986895 - 03/31/10 07:34 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: Biggles07]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Thanks Biggles. Like a lot of people I'm admittedly venting my own personal frustrations here. I WILL keep abreast of any new updates. Maybe, they will eventually address this issue. For now, though, the game has become too much trouble to actually play anymore.

#2986990 - 03/31/10 10:27 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: trek]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Videos of the stuttering speak volumes and can be pointed to as proof. They need a frame of reference.

Jason

#2987038 - 03/31/10 11:47 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Videos of the stuttering speak volumes and can be pointed to as proof. They need a frame of reference.

Jason

How I read that, is, we do not belive people are having stuttering issues..proove it.

The stuttering issue is game breaking for me also, and I can not find a fix for it either.

#2987043 - 04/01/10 12:00 AM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: jdbecks]  

Guys,

I need to see it if I am to help, there are different types of stutters. I'm not doubting you, but they have a hard time replicating these stutters on their end so I need to allow them to analyze what you see. And yes, if they somehow come back and say you're crazy, you can point to them and say then explain my stutters in my video.

Please, don't get upset if I don't use super flowery language in my posts. I'm trying to help you guys get their attention and try to see what could possibly be causing these stutters.

Also, if you are using a Microsoft Sidewinder FFB joystick with TrackIR you will get stutters. That is the only kind of stutter I have been able to re-produce myself on both of my machines.

Maybe it's dual core related and maybe not. There are lots of possible causes on any given PC.

Jason

#2987060 - 04/01/10 12:39 AM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
I still don't think it is dual core problem. My game was running fine, then updated and got stuttering. Messed with it a good bit and reduced stuttering a lot. Updated again and now back to normal. Smooth, good frame rates and solid, stable performance. I even maxed out the video memory at 101% and clicked to 'continue' when it said I was using too much memory. The game still ran perfectly.

I have no idea what happens to cause this, but I'm not the only one where a patch caused stuttering only to be gone once the next one comes out. For me, it seemed like the patch didn't install correctly, or something to do with how it installed. Restoring the update and defraging my HDD really helped, but I know it hasn't worked for everyone. I still had some stutters, but not near as bad and that brought my frame rates back up.
Now I'm not getting any stuttering at all again. It is running as good as it ever did.

From what I have experienced with my game the last couple months or so, I don't believe it is dual core related. When it is right, my E8400 (at 4.0GHz) runs the game extremely well.
I know this isn't much help and it's an old story. But whatever is causing this to happen isn't due to our cpu, I don't believe.

I hope the next update straightens it out for you. Strange it happens, but quite possibly the next update will correct whatever was causing it. I know it is no fun when you are in between updates with a game that isn't working right. Please be sure the devs are trying to find exactly what is going on. I hope you don't give up entirely.

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
FIA Formula One World Championship
#2987115 - 04/01/10 02:46 AM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
fox3 Offline
fox3  Offline

North East USA
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Guys,

Please, don't get upset if I don't use super flowery language in my posts. I'm trying to help you guys get their attention
Jason

You see it works both ways. We use it to get theirs, thing is they gets their panties all bunched up when we do.

Its all good as long as it keeps the ball rolling in the right direction. With my luck we will get DF servers in a new patch (any month now) and I will get stutters ...

#2987236 - 04/01/10 11:23 AM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: fox3]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
Hello,
well i'm not playing it anymore, too. I think that while the flight model is good, if not for WW1 crates, the "rest" is really lacking substance - still, after quite some time.
But it will still reside on my PC, and i will occasionally check at the RoF site for news, at least for some more months.
Greetings,
Catfish

#2987257 - 04/01/10 12:07 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Mahoney Offline
Mahoney  Offline

Twickenham, London, UK
100% CPU is not efficient at all. It means multiple processes and threads are contending a great deal for CPU time, so the operating system will be context switching a lot; context switching itself has an overhead, so it is making things worse. Only if each CPU is dedicated to a single thread and process is 100% CPU efficient, and the odds of that being the case are minimal. I believe 70-80% CPU is as high as you want to be going.

If running at 100% CPU it's all but inevitable that there will be stuttering - there's only got to be one thing that delays a result being calculated and it's going to stutter. It's like watching a video where the bitrate is the same as your download bandwidth - the bitrate only has to spike slightly, or the bandwidth drop off a tiny amount, and you'll get a stutter. You need headroom to get smooth throughput. Queue theory and all that.

#2987792 - 04/01/10 11:07 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: Mahoney]  
Copterdrvr Offline
Copterdrvr  Offline

Lafayette, LA. USA
I have and Intel i7 chip and an AMD 5970 video card with 4 gig of ram on a Vista system and the game is totally smooth and runs perfectly. Lovin' it to the max.

Skids are for kids!
#2988562 - 04/03/10 06:43 AM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: Copterdrvr]  
CPGagie Offline
CPGagie  Offline

Hi, my demo is finished now, I also have Wings Of Prey demo, nd have been comparing both and trying to decide which to buy. I must have one of em!

I do prefer RoF, just. Theres just something about it. However, I am getting slight stutters. I had everything maxed out using this set up.

Vista 64 ultimate
790i MB
E8400
4GB DDR3
2 x GTX 280's in sli (factory overclocked)
In a Kandalf tower with plenty of fans, so no overheating issue, usually.

I notice the stutter most when I switch camera views. Then it settles down, but is still there to some degree. While in the cockpit, I tell myself its just the wind bobbing me about, but really, its definitely a bit of a stutter.

Now I know its a totally different engine to that which Crytek used for Crysis, but I can run that maxed out, and only get a slight stutter (the beach scene when thers lots happening), which is equivalent to that I'm experiencing in RoF. Surely its not as hungry as Crysis.

I'm only prepared to buy one of the flight games I've mentioned, but which one. WoP seem to be sorting things out, despite it being a port over from console, and theres no problems for multiplayer (I'm in Australia). While RoF seem to be taking one step forward then another step back. Though I do prefer RoF.

Maybe I'll just toss a coin.

The thing is, games shouldnt be released early, and I really feel sorry for those that paid for unfinished games months ago. If i go to buy a loaf of bread, I dont expect to be handed the ingredients, then wander around for months on end looking for an oven to put them in.

This to me has been a cash flow problem, release it early, so the game can be finished. Thats not the way to do business imo. So there is an element of trust missing also. I havent been intouch with the developers of the game, I'm only going from what I've read online, but theres a ton of it, and i dont know if I want to chance being the next unhappy punter. Though i did love the demo, or at least its potential.

Yep, i reckon the coin toss is the only way to go. smile

Last edited by CPGagie; 04/03/10 06:44 AM.
#2988578 - 04/03/10 07:35 AM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: CPGagie]  

Originally Posted By: CPGagie

Sounds good to me. LOL.

Jason

#2988585 - 04/03/10 08:41 AM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: CPGagie]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: CPGagie
Hi, my demo is finished now, I also have Wings Of Prey demo, nd have been comparing both and trying to decide which to buy. I must have one of em!

I do prefer RoF, just. Theres just something about it. However, I am getting slight stutters. I had everything maxed out using this set up.

Vista 64 ultimate
790i MB
E8400
4GB DDR3
2 x GTX 280's in sli (factory overclocked)
In a Kandalf tower with plenty of fans, so no overheating issue, usually.

I notice the stutter most when I switch camera views. Then it settles down, but is still there to some degree. While in the cockpit, I tell myself its just the wind bobbing me about, but really, its definitely a bit of a stutter.

Now I know its a totally different engine to that which Crytek used for Crysis, but I can run that maxed out, and only get a slight stutter (the beach scene when thers lots happening), which is equivalent to that I'm experiencing in RoF. Surely its not as hungry as Crysis.

I'm only prepared to buy one of the flight games I've mentioned, but which one. WoP seem to be sorting things out, despite it being a port over from console, and theres no problems for multiplayer (I'm in Australia). While RoF seem to be taking one step forward then another step back. Though I do prefer RoF.

Maybe I'll just toss a coin.

The thing is, games shouldnt be released early, and I really feel sorry for those that paid for unfinished games months ago. If i go to buy a loaf of bread, I dont expect to be handed the ingredients, then wander around for months on end looking for an oven to put them in.

This to me has been a cash flow problem, release it early, so the game can be finished. Thats not the way to do business imo. So there is an element of trust missing also. I havent been intouch with the developers of the game, I'm only going from what I've read online, but theres a ton of it, and i dont know if I want to chance being the next unhappy punter. Though i did love the demo, or at least its potential.

Unfortunately if they hadn't released ROF early it would never have been released, but your choice would have been much easier now. Sometime realities get in the way of good business plans.

That said if you can afford two nvidia 280's in SLI, you can easily afford to buy both ROF,and WOP.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#2988647 - 04/03/10 01:18 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: Chivas]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
I own both.
RoF, I have at least 400 hours of play since release.
WoP, I have maybe 2 hours of play since the Steam release.

RoF gets launched at least 5 times a week.
WoP maybe 1 a month.

Not saying WoP isn't good, it is. I just find RoF far more rewarding to play. More challenging, more immersive and more enjoyable.

If I had to flip a coin to decide which one to get, I would hope it was a trick double headed coin and I picked heads.
Or a normal coin and use the old ploy;
Heads RoF wins, Tails WoP lose.

#2988649 - 04/03/10 01:20 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: Chivas]  
CPGagie Offline
CPGagie  Offline

"Unfortunately if they hadn't released ROF early it would never have been released"

You dont miss what you've never had.

Fortunatley, I 'could' afford to buy a pair of 280's. Times change.

Last edited by CPGagie; 04/03/10 01:24 PM.
#2988654 - 04/03/10 01:28 PM Re: NO LONGER PLAYING ROF! [Re: CPGagie]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
RoF wasn't bad right off the CD. The updates have of course improved it, but it was still good the day it hit the market.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.