Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2985105 - 03/29/10 08:14 AM FC2 - Campaign Mission #001  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
So I started the A-10 campaign included with FC2. Here is the first mission from that campaign..

The mission is to depart our airfield and fly just a short distance north to destroy an enemy tank platoon that has taken up positions on the other side of a river.

My wingman and I depart our airbase for the short 5 minute hop to the battlefield.

Accompanying us is a flight of F-16s.

As we approach the target area a voice comes over the communications channel indicating where our targets are, followed by an indication that the targets have been marked with yellow smoke. It is difficult, almost impossible to make out the small tanks among all the ground clutter, but the yellow smoke at least gives a good reference point.

On my first pass, I stupidly decide to use my Rockeyes..

After the canister splits open the bomblets are tightly packed..

But fan out as they continue flying through the air..

The target area contains more than just T-72s though, as a burst of AAA rips through my right wing taking out my right engine. I'll never learn that flying low is a bad idea!

Meanwhile my cluster bombs land harmlessly between two of the tanks..

I convert some of the energy to altitude and assess the situation. I can limp along at about 220 knots, and I've lost an engine but my hydraulics seem to be in good order. I accidentally hit the CTRL-C key instead of the cancel warning key though and I lose my canopy (embarassing!).

The flight back to base is very short and I'm anxious to get back into the battle. I had released my wingman to "attack air defenses" so I'm hoping he is softening up the area for my later return.

As my wingman exits the area a few minutes after I do, he has taken some damage and trails fuel from the right wing.

Meanwhile, back on the ramp I've ordered my weapons replenished and wait patiently for my damages to be fixed.

After a few minutes I'm back in business (the fastest canopy replacement job ever!) and as I taxi out I see one of the recovering F-16s taxiing in. Sadly, he lost his wingman over the target area.

This time I take a bit more of analytical approach to the target. I look at my map and see that my targets are just north of the bridge that crosses the second river. That will help me identify the area since by now the yellow marking smoke has ceased.

This time I head out to sea to the east to give myself a safe and easy run in toward the target area. This time I'm going to use my stand-off capability with my Maverick missiles.

That works! I see the glow of the enemy tanks right where they are supposed to be. I fiddle with the controls and lock one of them up.

Rifle!

Breaking back around to the north to parallel the coast I watch my missile track in.

Boom! Take that ya' bastage!

I come back around and am really starting to like these Mavericks!

After I destroy the three tanks I get a mission success message and am cleared to depart the area. Hmmm..but I still have all this cool weaponry hanging from my aircraft.. I pick out another target just north of the tanks and I luck out and snag myself a ZSU-23..! Now THAT is satisfying!

Doing some high altitude recon I spot another series of tanks loitering along one of the other roads leading into the town. They are very hard to see, but using some geographic reference points helps locate the targets once I roll in.

Let's try those Rockeyes again!

Errr..not so much..

How about Mark-82s?

Hmm..still not so much. I pretty much figure you would have to score a direct, smack on shot with one of those to kill a main battle tank.

So..stupid me, I'm hungry to kill one of those guys, so I roll in with the Avenger. Rounds slap the ground all around the tank, but I can't set it ablaze.

But my greed and stupidity lure me down low into the hornet's nest and another ZSU opens up on me and brings my little mission to an end. As my wing tears off I hit the eject button and just manage to get the chute open as I hit the ground.

Escape and evasion anyone??

My mission results are fair. I get a mission success, although I don't consider any mission where you don't bring yourself home to be a success. I did get hits on the T-72s with both the Mk-82s and the cannon, just not enough to put them out of business.

Fantastic stuff! Looking forward to the next mission..

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2985120 - 03/29/10 09:16 AM Re: FC2 - Campaign Mission #001 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
That raise the appetite! Good story telling. Can`t wait to fly the A hog over DCS terrain!

#2985207 - 03/29/10 01:44 PM Re: FC2 - Campaign Mission #001 [Re: EagleEye[GER]]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Beach would you mind if I quote your AAR on forum I frequent? Just trying to spread the word about FC2.

Nate

#2985242 - 03/29/10 02:37 PM Re: FC2 - Campaign Mission #001 [Re: Nate]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: Nate
Beach would you mind if I quote your AAR on forum I frequent? Just trying to spread the word about FC2.

Feel free! smile

#2988344 - 04/02/10 08:30 PM Re: FC2 - Campaign Mission #001 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
ripper998 Offline
ripper998  Offline

San Antonio, Tx
Man...that happens to me to often. Shot up the 3 or 4 tanks, see the extra ordinance I am carrying, go off looking for more stuff to kill, get greedy and I get shot down.

#2988567 - 04/03/10 06:53 AM Re: FC2 - Campaign Mission #001 [Re: ripper998]  
TeflonSam1 Offline
TeflonSam1  Offline

Rochester, NY
LOL. Same old Beach, can't settle for just plain victory. Gotta go back for more.

Haven't we seen this before? Maybe you need some kind of 12-step program. Target Fixation Anonymous? smile

TeflonSam1
#2989524 - 04/05/10 04:34 AM Re: FC2 - Campaign Mission #001 [Re: TeflonSam1]  
Malakie Offline
Malakie  Offline

Wisconsin
Ok stupid question... What is this game?? FC2 I see it being referred to... what is it??? I want it..... now! :-)

Take it light....

Malakie

.. The Country that forgets it's Veterans, will soon rather than later, itself be forgotten ..

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.