I finally got the kit my wife bought me for Christmas the other day, it was on backorder for a couple of months. I sat down and started working on it and thought I'd post the build as construction progresses. I'd like to be able to fly it by June 1, but I've got some busy times ahead with work, so that might be a little ambitions.
The kit is a Top Flite Elder 40, which has a WWI era scale look to it. Here's what it should look like when I'm done.
I'll begin construction by building the horizontal stab. First step is to lay the plans out on the workbench, then cover it in wax paper. I'll then build right on the plan. Some of the parts needed to build the stab are also in view.
The framework for the stab is built out of 1/2" by 1/4" balsa. The center slotted area and the curves at the tips are pre-made, the rest is cut to fit.
Stab ribs are in place.
Capstrips have been added to the ribs (on top and bottom surfaces) as well as gussets to reinforce the ribs. On the left side, you can see I've sanded it into shape. The capstrips are blended to the leading and trailing edges of the stab, and the some of edges are smoothed and curves are blended in. You can compare the difference to the right side, and you'll see it right away.
Both sides have been sanded to shape. I'll finish sand it and fill in any blemishes when it comes time to cover the piece. The leading edge has also been rounded a bit, but that won't show in this pic.
Next, the elevator!