Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2970997 - 03/05/10 06:08 PM Longbow, Combat-Helo  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England

Longbow Combat-Helo, a secret no more.

After many stops and starts, time off for good behaviour and months of hard work we thought you'd like a sneak-peek at where we're at.

The team started on a fresh project, planed and budgeted in September of last year. There have been a few problems along the way but we're picking up the pace once more. The first flight test took place early December ( YouTube video ).

We have a lot of "gravy" to add, but it's all very exciting. I love it when a plan comes together.

Longbow CH features the ETADS Longbow in a modern setting and assuming we can claw back the investment somehow we hope to make more aircraft and theatres available.

You can follow updates on the combat-helo indie group progress at http://combathelo.blogspot.com/

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#2971031 - 03/05/10 07:34 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
I've read (and subscribed) your blog, and I'm really impressed with all things you did.

I believe LCH will include Afghanistan map, right? Do you plan mission editor (maybe as external application - like in Thirdwire simulators), or additional map support?

I wish you best luck with your project!

Mike

#2971434 - 03/06/10 12:24 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: HawkI]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
@empeck It's a team effort and I'm really happy with everyone's efforts. The map is the north west region of Afghanistan around the city of Herat ( Wiki link )

The nature of the way we've designed and built LCH is that we can add any number of new maps (each being 40x40km).

Not decided on the nature of editing just yet. What I wanted and what we can deliver in an acceptable time-frame are not compatible. We have plans beyond this title. Players will be able to edit missions, the real-time factional nature of the campaign is such that your assignments will greatly shape the progression.

And I love Tachikomas too smile

@HawkI

On foot is how you start and navigate your base options. If crews have to perform an emergency landing they may exit their aircraft and await rescue. We will ensure all pilots are equipped with flares and standard issue automatics.

These situations allow us to leverage the fly/walk capability and the impressive lighting system offered by the differed rendering 3D engine. We intend to play to our strengths.

#2971518 - 03/06/10 03:31 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
Ripcord Offline
Ripcord  Offline

Houston, Texas
Wow, is this a totally new project or is it a major re-write of Janes LB2? Either way it looks impressive, looking forward to flying it.

Ripcord

USN/USMC -- when it positively, absolutely has to be blown up overnight.
#2971545 - 03/06/10 04:20 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Ripcord]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
It is a totally new project, utilizing the Leadwerks 3D engine.

#2971552 - 03/06/10 04:30 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Ripcord]  
mbeaver Offline
mbeaver  Offline

Arizona, USA
Very cool! I thought this project had been abandoned long ago. I'm glad to see it's still in the works.

#2971688 - 03/06/10 08:55 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
Originally Posted By: Flexman
@empeck It's a team effort and I'm really happy with everyone's efforts. The map is the north west region of Afghanistan around the city of Herat ( Wiki link )

The nature of the way we've designed and built LCH is that we can add any number of new maps (each being 40x40km).

Not decided on the nature of editing just yet. What I wanted and what we can deliver in an acceptable time-frame are not compatible. We have plans beyond this title. Players will be able to edit missions, the real-time factional nature of the campaign is such that your assignments will greatly shape the progression.

And I love Tachikomas too smile

I was just curious how did your team designed everything around the game engine. In Whirlwind over Vietnam everything including missions was hardcoded, and that's biggest problem with this title.

I believe everyone loves Tachikomas smile

#2971691 - 03/06/10 09:02 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: _michal]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: empeck

I was just curious how did your team designed everything around the game engine. In Whirlwind over Vietnam everything including missions was hardcoded, and that's biggest problem with this title.

I believe everyone loves Tachikomas smile

It's safe to say we won't be going down that road. smile

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#2971715 - 03/06/10 10:00 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: _michal]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Originally Posted By: AD

It's safe to say we won't be going down that road.

Too right (AD is the projects lean mean model machine).

Missions and maps are data driven, simple as that. LUA scripting lets us do interesting things without having to hit a compiler. You *will* be able to edit your own missions. I want to include a seamless edit system in-game but will *probably* be externalised due to time constraints.

I was a proud owner of a "Reset the World" button coffee mug till it broke. It was handmade by my wife. *sniff* Always brought a smile to my face.

#2971746 - 03/06/10 11:13 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Ripcord]  
jaegermeister Offline
jaegermeister  Offline

Walking point
Just great. I'm looking forward to this.
Jaeger

Last edited by jaegermeister; 03/06/10 11:15 PM.
#2971822 - 03/07/10 01:10 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: jaegermeister]  
tahoman Offline
tahoman  Offline

Spanaway, WA
It looks sooooo good! Can't wait for the finished product!

#2971995 - 03/07/10 11:18 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: tahoman]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
WOW!!

Please add the Mi-24 Hind next please please please!!!
Imagine a better graphics rendition of the old DI Hind, man you guys rock, hope you can get a full forum here, such a great new deserves it!!

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#2972044 - 03/07/10 02:11 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Stratos]  
Vegas Offline
Vegas  Offline

USA
It looks very nice. Is there a general timeline to project completion?

#2972083 - 03/07/10 03:15 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Vegas]  
Ivonq Offline
Ivonq  Offline

Best of luck, guys, that it may take off and bring what we are all longing for!

#2972116 - 03/07/10 04:13 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Ivonq]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Awesome news!! Great to see that this project is still alive!
Also it's great to see that the walking on foot feature will still be modeled (actually the walking on foot part is what makes ArmA2 my current favourite "helicopter sim").

BTW, I have 3 questions about this project:
1- Will this sim also model a "counter-insurgency" campaign (fighting against non-conventional forces) similar to the current Afghan or Iraq war? IMO, it would be great to see "counter-insurgency" campaigns and not only the usual conventional-war ones that we see in other combat helo sims.

2- Will we see lots of infantry foot soldiers in this sim? IMO, the biggest flaw in most combat helicopter sims (like Jane's Longbow 2 or EECH) is that infantry foot soldiers are almost unexistant (where it should be exactly the opposite). IMO the only helicopter sim that modeled infantry foot soldiers properly was DI's Hind.

3- Like Vegas already asked, is there a general timeline to project completion?

Thanks in advance for replies and the best of luck for this project, we really need new/modern and excelent helicopter sims!

#2972125 - 03/07/10 04:39 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: ricnunes]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: ricnunes

1- Will this sim also model a "counter-insurgency" campaign (fighting against non-conventional forces) similar to the current Afghan or Iraq war? IMO, it would be great to see "counter-insurgency" campaigns and not only the usual conventional-war ones that we see in other combat helo sims.

Currently the aim is to include 5 'factions'. The US army, the Iranian army, The Taliban, Tajik forces/ANA, and civilians. The initial combat missions you fly will be against Taliban forces. They will be moving between settlements on the map forcing the civilians over to their 'side'. You will be tasked with providing CAS to your ground forces and pushing Taliban forces out of civilian areas.

2- Will we see lots of infantry foot soldiers in this sim? IMO, the biggest flaw in most combat helicopter sims (like Jane's Longbow 2 or EECH) is that infantry foot soldiers are almost unexistant (where it should be exactly the opposite). IMO the only helicopter sim that modeled infantry foot soldiers properly was DI's Hind.

This is a key aspect we are aiming for.

3- Like Vegas already asked, is there a general timeline to project completion?

It's near impossible to make any realistic estimates at this time.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#2972158 - 03/07/10 05:50 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: AD]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Interesting stuff Flexman, keep us in the loop.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#2972168 - 03/07/10 06:09 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Wklink]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Thanks for the replies AD! WOW, That's exactly what I would like to "hear"!

In the meanwhile, I will be eagerly waiting for your projecy to come out.

#2972196 - 03/07/10 07:13 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: ricnunes]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
I have one more question - 40x40km is quite small map for a helicopter. Is the map size limited because of time/manpower or engine constrains?

#2972261 - 03/07/10 09:24 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: _michal]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
I have one more question - 40x40km is quite small map for a helicopter. Is the map size limited because of time/manpower or engine constrains?

Longbow 2 has 50x50km (or 40x40km if you just count the flyable area). You recognise it takes considerable effort to dress and optimize a map and we're a small team. 40x40 is a big area when you have to plant vegetation and make it look natural. For the purposes of our combat environment it's a good fit. I've flown around the LB2 terrain in our engine and it feels right. If we do the job right you won't notice.

The campaign is near real-time, there's no "between" screens. No "end mission" screen. Once your in the game, you're in it till you leave or transferred to another map (camp). You land, exit the chopper, perform other duties. Fly another sortie.

We're re-creating the style and excitment of the great sims made in the 90s made popular by Origin and Microprose. Using new technology we can turn the traditional 2D screens into 3D interactive environments. That's actually less work than having to make a whole set of between mission art, code, user interfaces and jumping between them. Making this project work has all been about doing more with less, that's been my mantra from the start and the only way I think we'll see a resurgence of combat sims that don't take years to make.

It's big enough is my final answer smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.