Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2966237 - 02/24/10 10:02 PM Should I go local?  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I'm just about ready to order my new PC, but I was wondering if I should give the local store a chance?

Unlike gapman, I have no previous experience with this store but then again, I have no experience with any online retailer either. Any thoughts appreciated.

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2966240 - 02/24/10 10:20 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: - Ice]  
Lanzfeld113 Offline
Lanzfeld113  Offline

PA, USA
Well....when I order from Cyberpower do I have to pay taxes?

I dont think so but if you go local you do.

#2966265 - 02/24/10 11:23 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: Lanzfeld113]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
irrelevant as he's in the UK & he'll have to pay VAT (sales tax) either way.

-Ice, you've previously said that you are competent at assembling a system & if you are talking about a truly local PC shop he'll probably be dearer for the same spec. than doing it yourself. Either that or he won't use the same spec. as you would choose somewhere along the line.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#2966281 - 02/24/10 11:50 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: BUFF]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
- Ice, two places I've used for parts and have been happy with are
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ good fast service.
and
http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/new--inc--3.php cant say about there on-line service as I use the retail shop in the west end of London but I've always had good friendly service from them.

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#2966285 - 02/24/10 11:57 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: Mark Aisthorpe]  
Vekiq Offline
Vekiq  Offline

Scotland
I use overclockers for most of the stuff i buy, but they are not the cheapest,but not OTT either, but they do have great online service and very fair and quick RMA procedure. Their hardware forum is one of most varied forums with loadsa of knowledgeable people willing to help, i read it and write in it daily.

#2966452 - 02/25/10 11:01 AM Re: Should I go local? [Re: Vekiq]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
A local shop with a good reputation (or even better, personal experiences) is one of the best things to have. In my case, assembly cost me only 50EUR with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor, and the parts itself were competitive priced.

But not every local shop is good, some can downright stink. Mine is crewed by gamers and enthusiasts. So figure out who's working there... what kind of work they do for other people (office systems, gamer systems, servers?) and go from there.

#2966498 - 02/25/10 02:33 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: RSColonel_131st]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

AVOID overclockers, they are bloody awful when it comes to dealing with issues, seem to be staffed by retards who cannot read and feel it's acceptable to make stuff up.

#2966537 - 02/25/10 04:27 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: ]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the replies guys. I've just been to one of the local stores and I wasn't very much impressed with the place or the service. The few times I've been there, it's been like a ghost town anyway, so I can't tell if it caters to gamers or office workers or whatever. I would have been willing to ignore a GBP50.00 price increase but this guy is asking for about GBP300 more!

There's another store, but they tell me that they'll have to get back to me tomorrow. I suspect the guy who'll do the quote isn't 'local' so that defeats the purpose.

I'd like to think I can avoid OcUK, but unfortunately, it seems that whatever I spec is cheaper with them than with others. Sure, aria is cheaper here, dabs is cheaper there, but when the total comes up, well, there's usually a 20-30 price difference.

- Ice
#2966549 - 02/25/10 04:42 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: ]  
Vekiq Offline
Vekiq  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted By: anon
AVOID overclockers, they are bloody awful when it comes to dealing with issues, seem to be staffed by retards who cannot read and feel it's acceptable to make stuff up.

Interesting, been shopping there for 4-5 years and it was always efficient and good service. Dano, can you elaborate little more on your bad experience?

I have not ordered from them for about a year, but placed and order for xfx 5870 and headset. They have expanded a bit lately, so probably new staff that maybe isn`t up to the scratch yet. I am just curious just in case i run into problems with order i placed this morning

Last edited by Vekiq; 02/25/10 04:45 PM. Reason: addition
#2966836 - 02/26/10 09:51 AM Re: Should I go local? [Re: Vekiq]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Here you go, monitor was showing as in stock throughout the entire debalce and no phone calls were made or recieved...

A few things I should point out, as far as I am aware it is illegal in the UK to sell goods as new if they are not and it is the retailers not the manufacturers legal obligation to deal with any issues or faults arising in the first 12 months.

Dear Mr Daniel Clark,
This email is to acknowledge placement of order number OC######.
Order date and time: 26 Jan, 10, 2:25 pm.
Your order consisted of the following items:
Item
Qty
Price
BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monitor
£127.65
Belkin Pro Series Dual Link DVI Cable 3M (CC5001AED10)
£10.20

Sub Total:
£137.85
FREE SHIPPING (DPD Next Day)
Shipping:
£0.00

Total Vat:
£24.12

Total inc Vat:
£161.97

Your message follows
Can you confirm this order will ship today please?
----------------------------------------------
New Message - 27/01/2010 16:20:00
Dear Daniel Clark,
Thank you for your webnote
No sir as we are still awaiting stock of the monitor, once in stock the order will get sent out on a next day service.
Regards,
Sam Melbourne
YOUR MESSAGE
I do hope you are joking, the monitor was and still does show as in stock with 10+ in stock.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Daniel Clark,
We are still awaiting stock of the product sir, once available the order will get sent out on a next day service.
Regards,
Sam Melbourne
YOUR MESSAGE
How can you be waiting for stock, your webpage shows 10+ in stock?
Telling me that you are awaiting stock is not good enough, at least give me an estimate or are you purposely trying to annoy me by a) misleading me that you had stock available for next day delivery which should have been today and b) continually regurgitating that you are awaiting stock with no further information given?
Please make sure the following questions are answered:
1) Why is the website still showing stock?
2) When are you expecting stock?
3) Why was I left to contact you about the situation when my order should have been shipped yesterday?
Dear Daniel Clark,
Thank you for your web note. Unfortunately the delivery services have delayed the stock coming into our warehouse, I can confirm that stock is arriving this morning, and the order is due to be dispatched today for you to receive tomorrow. For the inconvenience, I have upgraded the delivery to a before 12 service so you do not have to wait in all day tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
Regards,
Steven Levitt
YOUR MESSAGE
No please dont deliver it tomorrow, I am out all day and I do not want it sat in a DPD lorry or warehouse all weekend. Please re-arrange delivery for Tuesday 2nd February.
Dear Mr Daniel Clark, Your Order has been packed and is in the process of being shipped.
----------------------------------------------------------
Goods Shipped:
£127.65 x 1 - BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monitor
£10.20 x 1 - Belkin Pro Series Dual Link DVI Cable 3M (CC5001AED10)
Goods Shipped By: DPD Next Day Parcel Before 12.
Consignment Number: 0274233800.
Dear Daniel Clark,
This order has already been shipped due to the large quantities of back orders that need to be cleared, do you still wish for this to be applied onto a delivery service for Tuesday.
Regards,
Sam Melbourne
YOUR MESSAGE
QUOTE: "This order has already been shipped due to the large quantities of back orders that need to be cleared, do you still wish for this to be applied onto a delivery service for Tuesday. "
Why would you think otherwise?
To be clear: Yes, I want the delivery scheduled for Tuesday as asked.
Where do I forward complaints to?
Dear Daniel Clark,
The delivery will be ammended to Tuesday and will be Held at your local DPD depot, complaints need to be processed via the complaints section of the webnotes system.
Regards,
Sam Melbourne
YOUR MESSAGE
"29 Jan 2010   10:39   Southampton   Unable to deliver, calling card left - 37242535 (landmark = Varnish Door)"
So, you've ammended the delivery for tuesday then?
Yes, delivery has been ammended for Tuesday you. However, DPD appear to have attempted delivery regardless of this request. Expect on Tuesday as agreed. 
Regards,
Sam Melbourne
YOUR MESSAGE
DPD have no record whatsoever of the order date being changed and were going to re-attempt delivery on Monday which again would have failed due to nobody being here to recieve it, I have now done it myself as you seem to have a communications issue with your couriers and customers alike.
Dear Daniel Clark,
Thank you for your web note. I can confirm that the order will be with you on Tuesday.
Regards,
Steven Levitt
YOUR MESSAGE
Monitor box had obviously been opened and resealed.
I am not at all happy, after the debacle of getting this monitor from you I have been sent one that has been quite obviously previously opened.
I'd like you to arrange collection of both products on the order and issue a full refund.
Dear Daniel Clark,
All items are sent as new unless they are b graded. Have you even used the monitor at all and tested it?
Regards,
James Bailey
---------------------------------------------------------
YOUR MESSAGE
Yes, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt but it has several dead pixel issues, it is definitely NOT new.
Again, please arrange to collect it and issue a full refund, please do this now as I am not at all happy that you have sent me B grade goods and are yet again giving me the run around by ignoring my requests.
Dear Daniel Clark,
Please contact the manufacturers in this matter as advised on the telephone earlier.
Regards,
James Bailey
YOUR MESSAGE
QUOTE: "Dear Daniel Clark,
Please contact the manufacturers in this matter as advised on the telephone earlier.
Regards,
James Bailey"
1) What telephone conversation? I have not recieved or made one from OCUK.
2) No I will not make contact with the manuacturer, it is your obligation to deal with it.
Now, please arrange to collect the products and either process a refund or supply me with a new monitor that is fault free and new.
Dear Daniel Clark,
How many dead pixels are there on the screen? is it just one or a number of pixels?
Regards,
James Bailey
Your message follows
Seeing as how your system has failed to confirm delivery of my last webnote here it is again:
Regards,
James Bailey"
1) What telephone call? I have neither made one or recieved one from OCUK.
2) I will not deal with the manufacturers, it is your obligation to deal with this issue.
Please arrange to collect the products and either supply me with a full refund or a fault free new monitor.
Dear Daniel Clark,
Because the monitor has only one dead pixel this is not deemed faulty, if you contact the manufacturer they may replace this for you and there discretion.
Regards,
Dean Hillier
YOUR MESSAGE
I am now seeking legal advice from the office of fair trading, you can expect to hear from me soon, unless you'd like to end this debacle and arrange to pick the order up and issue a refund as requested.
Problem / Fault description: Unwanted [Customer Changed their Mind],
Desired action: Refund,
Dear Daniel Clark,
Please follow the RMA email that has been sent to you, once received in good working and complete order, we will refund the item(s) for you.
Regards,
Dean Hillier
YOUR MESSAGE
QUOTE: 'Problem / Fault description: Unwanted [Customer Changed their Mind]'
No, I did not change my mind, I will not accept b-grade goods sold as new.
Please confirm you will re-imburse return shipping costs or arrange collection, otherwise I shall continue seeking legal advice.
Dear Daniel Clark,
the goods are not b grade at all, all items are shipped as new
Regards,
James Bailey
YOUR MESSAGE
The packaging shows otherwise. Again, confirm you will re-imburse return postage or arrange collection or I shall be forced to continue seeking legal advice.
Dear Daniel Clark,
If you do not want the item it is at your cost to return this to us.
Regards,
Dean Hillier
YOUR MESSAGE
No, what I wanted was a NEW item or proof that it is not b grade as you keep stating without any information to say otherwise.
All details of this incident will now be forwarded on to trading standards due to you being in breech of Sale of goods act 1979.
You have been given more than enough opportunities to rectify the situation and you continued denial of my rights and your outright lies only serves to further prove that you are not a company who values it's reputation or customers.
Dear Daniel Clark,
We do not send out B-grade items, Some BenQ monitors have the cables already attached.
If the monitor has only 1 dead pixed this is working fine under the ISO standard.
If you do not want the item then this is at your expense to get back to us.
Regards,
Dean Hillier
YOUR MESSAGE
"We do not send out B-grade items, Some BenQ monitors have the cables already attached."
Is this an explanation as to why the box was obviously re-sealed?
"If the monitor has only 1 dead pixed this is working fine under the ISO standard."
I have not once stated how many pixel issues the screen has, you have made an assumption here. If the sceen adheres to ISO standards I have no issues, from the start I have stated repeatedly that it is due to the b grade nature that I wish the return.
Dear Daniel Clark,
As per our telephone conversation, you said there was 1 dead pixel on the screen.
If you want to return the monitor to us you can do so,  but it is at your cost.
would you like me to raise you an RMA ?
Regards,
Dean Hillier
YOUR MESSAGE
I'll say it once more, please take the time to read it on this occasion.
What telephone conversation?
I have not made or received one, you have made assumptions on a fabricated conversation.
Dear Daniel Clark,
Here is the information from a previous webnote
“Yes, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt but it has several dead pixel issues, it is definitely NOT new."
Regards,
Dean Hillier
YOUR MESSAGE
Here is the information from a previous webnote
"Yes, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt but it has several dead pixel issues, it is definitely NOT new."
Regards,
Dean Hillier"
'several' - http://www.google.co.uk/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en%7Cen&hl=en&q=several
And again, what phone call?
Dear Daniel Clark,
how many dead pixels do you have ?
Regards,
Dean Hillier
YOUR MESSAGE
What phone call?
Dear Daniel Clark,
The phone call you made to myself the other day that was heard by the manager.
Regards,
Dean Hillier
YOUR MESSAGE
Please provide a transcript of this imaginary phone call providing time and date details.
Dear Daniel Clark,
We do not record calls.
Regards,
Dean Hillier
Dear Daniel Clark,
This department can no longer deal with this issue, please either contact the manufacturer or contact our complaints department.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/webnote.php#complaint
Regards,
Dean Hillier

#2966867 - 02/26/10 11:37 AM Re: Should I go local? [Re: ]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Dano, that is a definite OUCH. I will have to watch out for this one. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, at least when things happen, I know what red lights to look out for. I do hope your monitor issue is sorted out by now.

- Ice
#2966871 - 02/26/10 11:46 AM Re: Should I go local? [Re: - Ice]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Nope, they've refused all contact since.

#2966889 - 02/26/10 01:01 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: ]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

That sux. By any chance is that the BenQ they've been offering as promo?

- Ice
#2966907 - 02/26/10 02:07 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: ]  
Vekiq Offline
Vekiq  Offline

Scotland
I see, i bit of (understatement) carry on.

Thanks for the info

#2966915 - 02/26/10 02:22 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: - Ice]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: - Ice
That sux. By any chance is that the BenQ they've been offering as promo?

Yup, however to be fair to the monitor it would appear that the boxes were indeed opened so the supplier could include UK spec power plugs, not that it excuses the frankly shocking responses from OcUK in any way.

Novatech on the other hand did me yet another bit of solid gold service last week by price matching OcUK within minutes of me enquiring about the difference via their forums, really cannot express how happy I am to use them.

#2968010 - 02/28/10 05:26 PM Re: Should I go local? [Re: ]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Noted. The responses to your emails/webnotes were not as 'quality' as I would expect.

Still, I have gone through the OcUK route and everything went by smoothly, though I spent about £3 on a call to them just to make sure they had everything in stock and that their website wasn't giving me false stock information. I ordered on a Friday afternoon and had the parts on my doorstep before lunch the next day, so they get their act together quick.

Built the PC the whole day yesterday and I must say I'm enjoying the experience of putting stuff together. The PC is now working flawlessly --- and I hope I never have to experience any company's returns policy for defective equipment.

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.