Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2964175 - 02/21/10 10:52 AM Returning stuff  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
This is a new concept for me. In the Philippines, there is a "No Return, No Exchange" policy wherein goods may not be returned unless defective, and proving they were defective in the first place would really be a hassle. A mark of "good" stores were if they "test" the merchandise before handing it off to you to make sure it works or at least powers up.

Here in the UK, I've been hearing things about "this does not affect your statutory rights" and all that, and the general idea is if you don't like it, you can return it. I'm seeing a lot of "pre-owned" stuff, games, consoles, and so on.

Now I just bought a desk and chair from Argos, and I'm not too happy with my purchase. For one, the desk's edges are really 90degree-sharp, and it's annoying to my palms and forearms. The chair's all out of whack, with the lower back support actually digging into my mid-back. I really want to return these, but the box for the table is all torn up while the box for the chair is still good, but both boxes have been out of the house all night and it snowed last night.

Will I still be able to return it? The Argos website says I have to return stuff in their original packaging in a re-saleable condition... yeah right.

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2964177 - 02/21/10 11:06 AM Re: Returning stuff [Re: - Ice]  
Axel40 Offline
Axel40  Offline

London
Argos are one of the very best at taking returns. Pretty much all they sell (apart from games and similar) is returnable for a refund.

Trouble is, they want the original packaging (I think that's fair enough) and you have basically destroyed it so if the item is not faulty I think you may have a problem.

Saying that, it's gotta be worth a phone call as they are pretty good, maybe you'll just get store credit which is not so bad.

"Anti Aircraft fire is...very dangerous."
Eddie Rickenbacker 2009
#2964185 - 02/21/10 12:09 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: Axel40]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Stores are under no obligation to accept returns unless something is faulty or mis-sold. That being said, a lot of places do have a very accommodating returns policy, Maplins is one place that springs to mind, which can be useful for electrical/electronics etc.

Stuff ordered over the internet or by phone however is covered by 'distance selling regulations', and you are allowed to return anything, at your own expense, within 14 days of receiving it.

#2964356 - 02/21/10 06:24 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: Brun]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
Argos are generally very good at refunding stuff.

You don't even need to give a reason. Not liking something is good enough - within their (16 day?) time limit.

Their policy goes way beyond the govt 'sale of goods' act that covers this area.

I have personally returned items to Argos with out any packaging (car radio + speakers and fittings in a plastic bag). That item was faulty, though.

I think you should pack it all up as best you can and talk to the shop people. Don't worry too much about the packaging, just tidy as you can.

BTW, I'm assuming you bought the stuff from a shop, not the online home delivery side.

Good Luck.

#2964434 - 02/21/10 09:10 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: Vitesse]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks guys. Fortunately, one of my pals was interested in it and I was able to sell it to him. biggrin

The table was really annoying with the sharp edges, but the chair I can live with, if only for the time being. Went to Staples today to order a table that is GBP50 more expensive, but is EXACTLY what I want, only to find out that it is not available and will have to wait until Thursday to "check back" to see if they've got it in stock. Damn.

Anyway, this is the last time I'm ordering from a catalog. Or if I really must, I will have them open the box for me while I inspect the goods before leaving the store. At least I can save myself the hassle.

I do want to say thanks for the support for Argos though. The time I ordered was my first experience with the store, and it was generally a very good place. The staff were friendly and helpful --- I even forgot my cap and by the time I came back for it, they had already stashed it. I was looking around and an employee actually approached me and asked me if I was missing my cap, and promptly returned it. Nice.

I just have to be really careful with what I order.

- Ice
#2964505 - 02/21/10 11:44 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: - Ice]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
If you don't like it, just make up an excuse (don't do this all the time though...). Then buy something from them that you do want.

I've returned Battlestations Midway (DVD copy) because it did not install on my PC. Despite the store having a no return policy on opened software, I still got my exact cash back. NO fuss at all. But it only was $10.

#2964544 - 02/22/10 01:41 AM Re: Returning stuff [Re: Flogger23m]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Sounds their policy works in the long run... that's a lot of praise for this company in this thread; people will go there again and again.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#2964641 - 02/22/10 08:28 AM Re: Returning stuff [Re: Legend]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Ice, Argos are better than they once were for DIY furniture, but you might want to check out IKEA once you get a car, about the cheapest way to furnish a house from scratch with some half-decent stuff... http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/store/gateshead

#2964657 - 02/22/10 09:56 AM Re: Returning stuff [Re: U-96]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Buy stuff online and you get extra protection by the distance selling regulations too.

#2964693 - 02/22/10 01:25 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: U-96]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
Originally Posted By: U-96
Ice, Argos are better than they once were for DIY furniture, but you might want to check out IKEA once you get a car, about the cheapest way to furnish a house from scratch with some half-decent stuff... http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/store/gateshead

I've just bought two very nice glass cabinets for my modest die-cast collection from IKEA. Only £40 each (and always have a hot dog or three on the way out, only 45p each!!!!!!!!!!)

#2964796 - 02/22/10 05:47 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: archermav]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks guys. Yeah, I will be shopping at Argos again, but like I said, I'll be really careful. This would depend on what I'm buying though --- since the table was going to play an important part in my day-to-day experience (study and play, which translates to "anytime I'm home and not eating or sleeping"), I was really picky.

I can see this won't be important for some other stuff though, like side tables or cabinets or games.

I would buy from Ikea but I don't know where the nearest one is. Googling for it now.

- Ice
#2964799 - 02/22/10 05:49 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Oooohhhh... the Gateshead one is close! If I can find one that is cheaper and would justify the taxi and bus expense, why not...

Is the Ikea stuff in the UK any good?

- Ice
#2964803 - 02/22/10 05:56 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: - Ice]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
Ikea stuff is usually self assembly & it's OK for what it is (it's not what you would class as fine furniture but it's serviceable).
Ikea stores do have good displays though so you can check stuff out before you buy it.

also, don't forget trains as alternative public transport in the UK.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#2964826 - 02/22/10 06:32 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: BUFF]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Hmmm... Thornaby railway station is just a walk from where I live. I gotta go investigate that option. I've re-visited the IKEA website, and looking at their Desks and their Workstations selection and nothing really jumps out at me. For a price of a table, I can get one from the local Staples that is wider, and has drawers besides.

However, even at Staples, I cannot understand the price differences between the displays. Sometimes I find a fancy table (drawers and dividers) and goes for cheap, then I come across a simple table that sells for more. Confusing!

- Ice
#2964920 - 02/22/10 09:32 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: - Ice]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

I have to admit, IKEA office stuff isn't great at the low end of things, but it's a great place to pick up cheap crockery, cutlery, decor and the like. And they have nice meatballs in the restaurant wink

Certainly in my experience, their self assembly stuff is better engineered than most, and they are unique in having a complete design philosphy which means that they also sell a load of extras that will all fit.

#2964965 - 02/22/10 10:39 PM Re: Returning stuff [Re: U-96]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

True... but I neither have the budget nor the space for the awesome IKEA stuff. Pity, I would've liked to get some though.

And from the UK houses I've seen, most would be hard-pressed to provide me enough room for my "ideal" PC gaming area (space for a full HOTAS setup and triple monitors), not without me taking over what is supposed to be the living room space smile

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.