Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#2962723 - 10/16/09 12:43 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: Flexman]  
FranMulhern Offline
FranMulhern  Offline

I have to admit, I just don't understand the whole Arma2 thing. I bought the German download when it came out, with the English patch, but I really just couldn't get into it. The audio was terrible, those robotic voices. And the graphics. I thought they were terrible. Pretty sure I had them maxed out, but they didn't remotely compare with OFPDR on the PC, which I also have maxed out (quad core 2.4Ghz a/ATI 4850 w/1gig of RAM on the card).

Everybody is going on about how much better than this Arma2 is, maybe I should give it another go this weekend - just really can't see it though.

And to me, that REALLY shows that it's all subjective and about what you want for a game. OFPDR is my game of the year, definitely.

Last edited by FranMulhern; 10/16/09 12:45 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2962724 - 10/16/09 01:09 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: FranMulhern]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
aren't you working for/with the OFP DR development team? lol Come on now... lol

I do love this game, but no way in hell is it as good as ArmA2 (total package wise)... I could make a list but it would take all day, lol... and it definitely ain't even near a game of the year award. They got 25% of this game GREAT, and then 75% of it half assed.

IMO.

wink

#2962725 - 10/16/09 04:22 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: Magnum]  
FranMulhern Offline
FranMulhern  Offline

And that's why I said it's all about what you want. for me, it's better, for you it's not. What's so hard to udnerstand about that?

#2962726 - 10/16/09 04:42 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: FranMulhern]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
No problems their bud... your game of the year is fine with me, lol... but I'd like to know why you think it's game of the year material, just curious, not trying to be controversial.

and are you working with Codemasters on this game, or the upcoming DLC are you not? Just asking... I think it's important for readers to know if your working for a company when you say, before the edit, this is game of the year. I would feel obligated to inform the readers in my review if I received the game for free... which by the way, I did NOT! lol

Hope your not taking this wrong or as some attack... it's a great game, I love it... but would be interested in knowing why you or anyone here at SimHQ thinks it would deserve game of the year, especially with the end of the year round up on my mind. wink

#2962727 - 10/16/09 05:16 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: Magnum]  
FranMulhern Offline
FranMulhern  Offline

Erm, I've already said multiple times I work with Codemasters, and you know for a fact I do because I was the one who put you in touch with them. I'm not going to repeat it every time I post about the game.

For me, I just can't get into Arma2 for various reasons, which I think I already posted. The audio is awful, the robotic voices (man, 300 metres, north) just get me - I don't like thinking I'm in a firefight with Stephen Hawkign beside me. For some reason my campaign never lets me get past about mission three before crashing, and I've long since given up deleting my saved campaign and starting again. The clipping in some of the missions really destroys the immersion for me. And no, I can't remember which ones - I've not booted it for a while, due to being totally frustrated with it.

OFPDR is my game of the year partly because, believe it or not, I don't play very many games, so there's not a lot to choose from. I do try to play tactical shooters though. I like the open world and freedom of movement in the campaign missions, even if the time sensitive element takes some of this away. Sure, the AI isn't great - but it's also not terrible. It's average, IMO. But modern weapons, a huge campaign world, what's not to like? I don't really see the point of the complaints about how you can't fly helos etc in the campaign - you wouldn't be doing that anyway in the infantry. It'd be nice if you could choose your loadout, but I don't mind too much. And a random mission generator would be good, but again with the mission editor I can do some missions myself if I fancy - been getting my head around the ME, and I'm going to try to do some based in engagements from the Korean War. And yeah, for me this looks stunning - far better than Arma2, again on my PC. Maybe if BI had put Arma2 on the 360 as well, maybe then I'd have played it more if I could have done co-op very easily. As it is, it's pretty much just passed me by.

Each to their own though. Kudos to Codies for finishing this at all - 99% of other publishers would have canned it long ago. And yeah, there's more to come - WAY more to come. Again, Kudos to them for supporting it. One of the good things about working with studios is you hear a lot of the stuff that's not public knowledge. One of the bad things is you can't share it wink Codies are in this one for the long term though - it's going to get the kind of support other titles could only dream of.

So for me, there's no first person tactical shooter to touch it right now, in spite of its flaws.

#2962728 - 10/16/09 05:45 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: FranMulhern]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
cool... and I had no clue you were SimHQ's contact for Codemasters, I thought you worked as a job locator for game designers/artist etc etc... I got all my info to me from Guod... so was asking/verifying.

The campaign IMO is better in OFP DR then ArmA2's co-op campaign... (BTW that was patched and fixed, so the SP/co-op campaign should work for you, with 5 different endings based on performance.) but the MP fell flat on it's face...as of right now... compared to ArmA2's MP... which in all fairness has had 4 patches to get there. wink

Were cool, wasn't trying to "call you out", just verifying.

#2962729 - 10/16/09 06:40 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: Magnum]  
FranMulhern Offline
FranMulhern  Offline

But that's the thing. Arma had 4 patches. Plus a previous game. This is Codies' first internal attempt at this. For a first attempt, for a studio with no history of this internally, it's excellent. And their plans for future support are truly outstanding - I've seen nothing like it with any other games. I doubt you'll be disappointed;)

I might look at Arma2 again. But I may simply buy the regular CD & English copy tomorrow. Bit sick of the whole translation thing after patching etc:)

OFPDR definitely could learn things from Arma, that's for sure. but then most games could learn from most others.

#2962730 - 10/19/09 09:30 AM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: Pooch]  
digger52 Offline
digger52  Offline

just bought it but my video card fragged itself so waiting for replacement to give it a go.

What impresses me from the comments above is a civilised discussion with no flames, what a pleasure.

I must admit I struggle to find the "groundbreaker" fo a tactical simulation of ground combat in the modern world.

We haven't yet had a true "homeworld" or "company of heroes" or "total war - rome" that trully shakes up the category. I use these ( and elite and TAW) as examples that made me go wow!!

Is this it, dont know , but suspect not from all the comments.

#2962731 - 10/19/09 12:10 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: digger52]  
Aramsham Offline
Aramsham  Offline

ARMA2 definitely looks better than OFPDR on maxed settings, better textures, better foliage, better shadows and more.

#2962732 - 10/19/09 02:23 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: Aramsham]  
red barron Offline
red barron  Offline

I acquired operation flashpoint dragon rising last week and I think it might be a really fun game for a console but was really disappointed that it was just a console game. I thought I was buying a Pc game. The lack of TrackIr support in the game along with no joystick support and no dedicated servers really turned me off. I did not really see the point in advertising the game with TrackIr support when it is used to a limited sense only in vehicles. Maybe after a couple of patches it might be worth looking into, personally I think Americans Army will do about the same thing without vehicles or the cost.

#2962733 - 10/19/09 03:11 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: red barron]  
FranMulhern Offline
FranMulhern  Offline

I bought Arma2 again this weekend - Steam version instead of the German download version. I'll give it another try.

#2962734 - 10/20/09 11:30 AM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: red barron]  
DGC338 Offline
DGC338  Offline

Australia
I am not that impressed with OFPDR to be honest. I like the tactical orders option though the fact that you stop when doing it is annoying, it is however much more intuitive than Arma. AI aren't that bright as has been gone over before. Though some aspects of the movement (leap frogging) and response to orders is good. Lack of Track ir as infantry is also annoying. Bullet drop is also rather annoying seems way over done. The fact that AI can see you when you can't see them (them lying in the undergrowth), having said that their accuracy sucks so you don't need to worry about cover too often. No leaning. Artillery is nice feature and so is the performance in FPS. I like the thermals even if unrealistic. Is there a way to aim the under slung grenade launchers? Flying helos with a mouse sucks. Sounds like they took the radio work right out of generation Kill "we're oscar mike" but in general the sounds are excellent. It is a game of highs and lows with more lows than highs.

"He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious." - Sun Tzu III-25.
#2962735 - 10/20/09 12:11 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: FranMulhern]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted By: FranMulhern
For me, I just can't get into Arma2 for various reasons, which I think I already posted. The audio is awful, the robotic voices (man, 300 metres, north) just get me - I don't like thinking I'm in a firefight with Stephen Hawkign beside me.

[SNIP]

I don't really see the point of the complaints about how you can't fly helos etc in the campaign - you wouldn't be doing that anyway in the infantry. It'd be nice if you could choose your loadout, but I don't mind too much. And a random mission generator would be good, but again with the mission editor I can do some missions myself if I fancy.

Fran, when you give A2 a second run trough, you should try and focus more on user created content (missions) as well as MP Coop. To me it sounds like you started off with a - back then unpatched - SP campaign and lost interest. For me, my system does not yet handle the larger A2 missions, so I'm editing my own. But that actually allowed me to explore it more toroughly. Same example why people like A2 (maybe more than DR)

1) A2 allows you to command a platoon and up of separate squads in a nice clean interface next to your normal squad control interface. So even for single player, you can get huge realistic engagements with armor, air and infantry all under your control.

2) A2 Multiplayer means a lot of people in different vehicles, on foot and in the air all working togehter on a huge battlefield.

3) A3 is in many parts very unscripted and dynamic, for example in the "Warfare" MP missions (which you can also play alone vs. the computer). You can wage war for the whole map with ever changing encounters and tactical situations. As good as DRs campaign seems to be, it's story-driven and of limited randomness, whereas A2 really made a lot of effort to get these dynamic elements right.

Just trying to help you enjoy the game, playing default SP campaign is not the true meat of it IMHO (albeit the patched campaign is pretty good now).

#2962736 - 10/21/09 08:59 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: FranMulhern]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: FranMulhern
I have to admit, I just don't understand the whole Arma2 thing.

Well I already suspected that you must work with for Codemasters, with all that "PR" of yours. But that's not what I want to "discuss" here.

I'm posting here in order to "explain" you the "whole Arma2 thing".
I can explain this because (fortunally for me) a friend of mine bought OFP:DR (not so fortunate for him) and he borrowed me so I played a bit with OFP:DR so I can say that I know both ArmA2 and OFP:DR.
For starters, I want to say that I agree with Magnum, ArmA2 is so superior to OFP:DR that there is almost NO point in posting here what are the advantages of ArmA2 compared to OFP:DR since it would take many, many pages to describe those same advantages. But neverthless I'll post a few:

- Starting with the most obvious one - Graphics! The graphics in ArmA2 are definitly superior to the OFP:DR ones. Anyone who says otherwise must either be blind or suffers severelly from his/hers eyesight. Curiously the graphics in OFP:DR kinda reminds me of the graphics in M1 Tank Platoon 2, but of course with modern day technology. The graphics in OFP:DR lacks color and texture quality and even the 3D models look poorer when compared to ArmA2. Of course that OFP:DR runs faster (higher FPS) and it's setting can be maxed out even in "moderate" systems but that's IMO a "normal" thing since OFP:DR graphics are inferior to the ArmA2 ones.

- The AI in ArmA2 may have some quircks but it's light years ahead from the OFP:DR. For example, in OFP:DR the AI accuracy is so lame that if you keep sidewalking the enemy AI will never hit you! Hell, even if you don't move the enemy AI in OFP:DR rarelly hits you. And the rare times that the AI in OFP:DR hits you simply get a "wound" 99% of the times.
I think this video CLEARLY describes how lame and weak the enemy AI accuracy really is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3beipbwx4&feature=player_embedded

- The fact that the OFP:DR AI is weak (specially it's accuracy) and the fact that you almost never die with one shot, in conjuction with Co-Op tether and tiny 2Km/2Km Team versus Team maps, makes both realism and freedom of movements (which IMO, both are closelly related) much inferior to ArmA2.

- ArmA2 allows you to mod almost every aspect of the game. Heck, some guys are even making the OFP:DR map (Skira island) for ArmA2!! Look here (nota that's still a work in progress):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wkvk0xiob0&feature=player_embedded

- Honestly the only thing that I liked in OFP:DR and which I prefered to ArmA2 but curiously I have NOT seen anyone talking about it (at least much) are the tanks, where in OFP:DR if you aim to a target and press the right mouse button the distance to target measure appears in the bottom and the tank gun automatically elevates so when you take a shot, the tank round will hit the target.
Unfortunally this GREAT feature has some bugs in where the right mouse button not always seems to work and it seems that there aren't any tank missions (where you play as a tanker) in the game (unless someone makes one in the editor).

#2962737 - 10/21/09 09:49 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: ricnunes]  
FranMulhern Offline
FranMulhern  Offline

That "PR" of mine? what exactly are you trying to say? Quite frankly, don't #%&*$# question my integrity. Get a bloody life mate, it's a game. You like one game, I like another. What is so messed up in your little life that you feel the need to try to persuade me that you're right and I must automatically be wrong? Jeez.

Last edited by FranMulhern; 10/21/09 09:54 PM.
#2962738 - 10/21/09 09:51 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
FranMulhern Offline
FranMulhern  Offline

Cheers, will do. I tried it briefly at the weekend, seemed a bit better. But then NHL popped through my letter box and I've been playing that non stop:)

You might be right on the bit about getting off on a bad foot with it. I'm still really enjoying OFPDR though:)

#2962739 - 10/21/09 09:57 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: FranMulhern]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

I tried the ARMAII demo and didn't care for it at all.

I guess we should have our personal dislikes shoved down our noses here until we finally relent. That always works. hahaha

#2962740 - 10/21/09 11:09 PM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: FlyRetired]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I tried the ARMA II demo, too. I didn't care for it, either. The sound is still not all that good and the AI is, by turns, as freakishly stupid or clairvoyant as ever.

I am not a real MP kind of guy. I am a SP kind of player, and I keep waiting for a decent shooter to come along that features good AI and that isn't Call of Duty-esque.

Question about this game: Does the SP campaign have ANY sort of replayability value?

pfunk

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#2962741 - 10/22/09 12:44 AM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: PFunk]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
PFunk, just as in GR Original, OFP, and ArmA1, there are already a ton of SP (and MP) missions and snd several campaigns, add ons, new islands, tons of weapon mods, sound mods. Specials Forces, SEALs, you name it, if it isn't already over at Armaholic on their extensive download pages, it will be. So replayability is the hallmark of this one as well as the other harder core tac sims - thanks to the many devoted modders in these communities. IMHO, some of the user made campaigns and many of the missions are much better than the stock in most of the tacsims.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#2962742 - 10/22/09 09:22 AM Re: My Thoughts On This, And Games In General [Re: Eugene]  
FranMulhern Offline
FranMulhern  Offline

Pfunk, aside from the different difficulty levels, the SP campaign allows for trying different tactics during missions - provided you can stay within the time parameters. Plus the mission editor isn't too difficult to get your head around.

Give it a try if you can. I honestly doubt you'll be disappointed, especially as they're going to support it with a lot of DLC.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.