Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2957140 - 02/12/10 03:34 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

No Piper, I was not referring to you.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2957181 - 02/12/10 04:46 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: uhoh6]  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
Originally Posted By: uhoh6

It's just frustration. The bottom line is that at the moment you see very few people online, and as mentioned in this thread, some quite respectable people who fly offline have put the sim on the shelf.

I understand the frustration. I also understand that if a player #1 requested feature is not implement quick like bunny then the game looses the frustrated players interest and his frustration increases.

Each interested player has 20/20 vision of what a game "should be or must be" but each individuals vision of game play can be very different and may also be different than the developers vision.

As I read the ROF developers, they are committed to a quick respawn Dog Fight feature (and even some extra).

It is just a question of the developers priority, manpower, and skills to complete the task which is the core of the frustration.

Originally Posted By: uhoh6

As you say, 6 months. Some beautiful new planes, which generate revenue, and many fixes.

Yes, the new planes are needed for revenue to Pay the developers for the current development work.

Yes , many fixes, but have we forgotten about the new features (new replay , joystick setting, etc). BTW, a replay capability is a major feature based on my experience.

Yes, more fixes and features are still wanted/needed as a sim developers job is never done unless players stop playing the game.

The frustration seems to come from the Developers schedule vs some players schedule expections.

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.
#2957255 - 02/12/10 06:41 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Buddye1]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

I would guess that most people were expecting an updated version of il2,ported to WW1,with all the functionality that sim has.As il2 has had most of the features people are screaming out for in RoF for years,I think it was just assumed this stuff would be in RoF from the beginning.
Why wouldn't it be? Seemed obvious to us,but not the developers,apparently all old il2 players.
Even RoF developing a D/F server function does not fill me with delight,as they are going to put their own spin on it,and God only knows what that means!
If Oleg had made RoF,things would have been so much different,but he didn't so we have to deal with what we have,and hope it all works out in the end.
I don't think the language barrier helps either,as sometimes the guys at neoqb seem genuinely puzzled at the negative reactions they get.

#2957264 - 02/12/10 06:52 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Speyer]  
Snuffy Offline
Snuffy  Offline

FLA First Coast
Originally Posted By: JG52Uther
I would guess that most people were expecting an updated version of il2,ported to WW1,with all the functionality that sim has.

If that would be the case, I wouldn't be here. ... Sorry.

I'll take ROF as it is and as it becomes, I have the patience to wait on the developers.

Snuffy - Ted
#2957294 - 02/12/10 07:57 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Snuffy]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
I'd code you under the table in a heartbeat.

LMAO, F*****g Hardcore Geekfight!!! Thats what the Punters want, roll up, roll up!! hahaha

I've seen these things happen and its no laughing matter. One poor fellow was found buried at his Shropshire home beneath a mound of Isaac Asimov novels, with a rubix cube "embedded" in his head. Authorities suspect foul play, and an investigation is ongoing.

hahaha

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#2957346 - 02/12/10 09:38 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Biggles07]  
koala26 Offline
koala26  Offline

Originally Posted By: Biggles07
I'd code you under the table in a heartbeat.

LMAO, F*****g Hardcore Geekfight!!! Thats what the Punters want, roll up, roll up!! hahaha

I've seen these things happen and its no laughing matter. One poor fellow was found buried at his Shropshire home beneath a mound of Isaac Asimov novels, with a rubix cube "embedded" in his head. Authorities suspect foul play, and an investigation is ongoing.

hahaha

Well, we gotta have something to entertain us while we're waiting lightsabers

#2957427 - 02/13/10 12:23 AM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: koala26]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
koala, you don't own a rubix cube do ya?-)

#2957453 - 02/13/10 01:14 AM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: piper]  
koala26 Offline
koala26  Offline

Originally Posted By: piper
koala, you don't own a rubix cube do ya?-)

No, but I have read at least 3 Asimov novels heh.

#2957503 - 02/13/10 02:28 AM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: koala26]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
[Reading card]

"So it was koala in the drawing room with the Asimov novel."

(I loved that game as a kid)

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2963836 - 02/20/10 04:45 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Dart]  
Wol_really Offline
Wol_really  Offline

And here is the crux of the problem - people don't want IL-2 ported to the Great War, but an updated Red Baron (some may think these are the same but no way - the chrome in RB was much better. Think likewise of Command AOD - the bands, the newspapers the immersion.) Things like DCG and 3rd party work has really made il-2 - but the idea that you interacted with the world other than in the sky was always there - showing its origins maybe. smile We have little to do here apart from check the forums for updates while the developers convert a weight-reserved-for into a fitted-for-but-not-with and hopefully complete-with. This game is incomplete, as MS flight sim it might be fine, but I'd guess we are paying for the development of the Alpha test version really. If they last 18 months I'll be amazed. That bloke (not me BTW) who posted about Leprachauns in Verdun on ROF was close to the bone. I love the planes, I just wonder where the rest of them are, why there are so few, and no non-flyables, and what happened to the stuff underneath.

And the real question is "Why Dr Black at all?"

regards

#2963901 - 02/20/10 07:43 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Wol_really]  
MJMORROW Offline
NEWGUY
MJMORROW  Offline
NEWGUY

Originally Posted By: Wol_really
And here is the crux of the problem - people don't want IL-2 ported to the Great War, but an updated Red Baron (some may think these are the same but no way - the chrome in RB was much better. Think likewise of Command AOD - the bands, the newspapers the immersion.) Things like DCG and 3rd party work has really made il-2 - but the idea that you interacted with the world other than in the sky was always there - showing its origins maybe. smile We have little to do here apart from check the forums for updates while the developers convert a weight-reserved-for into a fitted-for-but-not-with and hopefully complete-with. This game is incomplete, as MS flight sim it might be fine, but I'd guess we are paying for the development of the Alpha test version really. If they last 18 months I'll be amazed. That bloke (not me BTW) who posted about Leprachauns in Verdun on ROF was close to the bone. I love the planes, I just wonder where the rest of them are, why there are so few, and no non-flyables, and what happened to the stuff underneath.

And the real question is "Why Dr Black at all?"

regards

I would like to see ROF evolve faster, but NEOQB is responding affirmatively to our requests and as quickly as possible. It may take years to get everything we want, but is this not the case of all sims? Just like you, I love the planes. It would be nice if they could release an AI version of many of the planes, prior to a release of the playable version. This way we could populate the ROF world with more machines. I wonder if there are ways of creating a much more active environment, without putting considerable strain on our computers? For instance, I wish that the draw distance could be increased, but I read that our computers are the limiting factor; not that NEOQB could not increase the draw distance. I wonder if they could use a simple physics model for distant planes, to decrease the workload of our computers?

Last edited by MJMORROW; 02/20/10 07:44 PM.

Instead of complaining about SPAD 7s, Central pilots should capture and fly them too. I suggest putting an apple in the middle of your Aerodrome field and just wait. Eventually a SPAD 7 will come by to get the apple, cause SPADS can't resist apples. This is how the Entente gets a hold of SPAD 7s, m-kay?
-MJ Morrow
#2963957 - 02/20/10 09:57 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Snuffy]  
Toadvine Offline
Toadvine  Offline

Seattle
Originally Posted By: Snuffy
Originally Posted By: JG52Uther
I would guess that most people were expecting an updated version of il2,ported to WW1,with all the functionality that sim has.

If that would be the case, I wouldn't be here. ... Sorry.

I'll take ROF as it is and as it becomes, I have the patience to wait on the developers.

I am with Snuffy, and am thankful that we have a sim built on a brand new engine based on WW1 air combat at all. I wasn't expecting IL2, but was kind of hoping for Red Baron 21st century version. RoF falls short of that ideal, but still has enough to keep me a fan of the game. I don't play it non stop, but check in on the game now and then to see how things are progressing. As long as Neoqb doesn't give up on the game, I am willing to be patient and take what they trot out for us. It isn't like we have other options; not if you want a sim of this caliber and quality.

#2963959 - 02/20/10 10:01 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: MJMORROW]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
Hello,
i own the sim for 3 weeks now. Let's say if i'd have to do a very short review ...

Flight model as such is very good.
Lighting, reflections etc. as well as the appearance of the planes and cockpit are top notch. The skins are nice, but not historically correct.
The virtual "feel" of the planes is - well let's say unheard of before. I think it is not accurate for some planes. Side slip seems to be underdeveloped. The SPAD behaves sometimes strange, it does this or something completely else at the same speed and conditions. A developing spin out of a stall is almost impossible.
Damage model will have to be improved, there are too much wing-at-the-root breaks rather than losing half of a lower right or left wing, or only ailerons (there's another sim that does that better) - as well planes like the N11 flew on or were at least able to emergency-land with missing lower wing. Then some planes in RoF even fly with all their right or left wings missing - i take it the visuals do not relate to the "real" damage inflicted, and i think some of the damage is developing a bit too fast, after the initial hit. Planes are too easy to shoot down once you are behind them. They will almost instantly lose a wing, or catch fire.

Those are no show-stoppers, and can surely be fixed sooner or later.

What is missing is the scenery around the flying.
There was a lot to see in the previews, like infantry, artillery, moving tanks, convoys etc. etc. but i keep asking myself where they are in the sim i bought - err, leased. No front support visible on the support lines - maybe too much action would be killing framerates ?
The front lines look indeed strange - again this is much better modelled in another sim i know of. Those meandering edgy trench lines are much too regular, and the whole front seems - despite the flak bursts and artillery impacts - lifeless. I have not the impression there's a war going on. No troops, no one shoots at you with rifle/MG fire even at lowest altitude. Because of this any low-flying Schlachtflieger would be delighted, if there was something to shoot at, that is. You can land your bird on top of an enemy trench and no one will care.
Outside the gameplay the screens look like from a PS/3 playstation, and have no ambience, or feel of the time. The best you could say would be it looks like a modern museum, with ancient crafts. Which is not bad, it is just not the sequel of RedBaron i had hoped for.
Another good thing is it seems the RoF team will be dropping the online requirement with the next update/patch.
Another bad thing is i find it a bit audacious demanding money for every plane you want to fly, with the rest of the sim being so undeveloped.

I once again ask myself why they again tried to re-invent the wheel. But it is a new sim, and we should give them time - this sim is not bad at all, but is more of a flight sim than a combat experience yet.

Greetings
Catfish

Last edited by Catfish; 02/20/10 10:03 PM.
#2964298 - 02/21/10 04:57 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Catfish]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
more of a flight sim than a combat experience

Have you ever been in a SPAD and chased a Fokker around the circle with the white knuckles more than twenty times until you get on his tail and then he scissors you and dives away - and all this at fifty feet over a town and in and out of the avenues on recovering. We're going to need someone to change us Smile2

This is not Il-2. What are they feeding them on

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2964307 - 02/21/10 05:13 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
more of a flight sim than a combat experience

Have you ever been in a SPAD and chased a Fokker around the circle with the white knuckles more than twenty times until you get on his tail and then he scissors you and dives away - and all this at fifty feet over a town and in and out of the avenues on recovering. We're going to need someone to change us Smile2

This is not Il-2. What are they feeding them on

Ming

I literally just got out of this very scenario about a half hour ago. It's like you were that FOKKER, Ming. You Bastid. You won too. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. How merciless of you.

Last edited by knightgames; 02/21/10 05:13 PM.
#2964387 - 02/21/10 07:36 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: knightgames]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
Hello,
yes it is fun biggrin

And may i say i wrote this "review" with tongue-in-cheek, and certainly admit it is only my personal view. Fights can be fun, but after the usual 4 or 6 enemy planes have been shot down the game is over. You can fly back to the 'drome or elsewhere, but there's nothing going on anymore, in the air. I am speaking of campaign here, not russian roulette lol
Flying with this other sim, all enemy AI flights and incidents are happening all the time. You can run about a bunch of enemies long after your task has been fulfilled (or not), with empty magazines, shot-up engine limping home and already close to your aerodrome. The level of uncertainty is much higher, in that other sim - compared to RoF i am a nervous wreck, in OFF. I really hope that RoF will develop in that direction, until then RoF is a real relaxation lol.

And dogfighting (!) a Fokker with a SPAD XIII ? Who would have done and/or survived that in reality ? I mean this is quite well modelled in RoF - no chance in a ring-around a rosie.
The training mission is almost impossible to win, because the AI makes no mistake, and shoots you down from 300+ meters without ever failing. Boom and zoom is your only chance against 2 Fokkers.

The only SPAD that would have had the faintest chance to get on the tail of a Fokker D.VII, would have been the SPAD VII. But even those preferred to attack from above, and climbed back immediately. And there's no SPAD VII in RoF yet.

I still try to start and land the Nieuport, this is my real personal challenge in RoF ... pitchafit

Greetings,
Catfish

Last edited by Catfish; 02/21/10 07:56 PM.
#2964397 - 02/21/10 07:53 PM Re: No update today, but some very tasty news none the less. [Re: Catfish]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

I try to ignore the trenches,as once you are down low they do look daft.Usually in a dogfight there is nothing to concentrate on except the other plane,so its not a huge issue for me.
I also bought RoF about 3 weeks ago,and finally started playing it 2 weeks ago,after getting a better gfx card.I'm glad I waited for it to mature a bit.I have not started up il2 since.
If neoqb can sort out the respawn D/F servers soon I believe RoF will become a lot more popular online.It has huge potential.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.