Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2942119 - 01/18/10 11:13 PM Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro!  
Dozer Offline
Dozer  Offline

Game license is EUR 14.99 or USD 19.99 on the publisher's website, riseofflight.com, until 25/1/10! That's half price. Any lurkers, go buy it now!

On a broadly related note, I bought all the aircraft bundles at the same time (they're 20% off until the end of today), but still don't have the SE5 and D.VIII. Does anyone know why they're not in a bundle too, and are they likely to be bundled and/or discounted soon? About three euros of my pie budget is at stake here, if I buy them individually when a sale is forthcoming...

(I hope I'm not breaking forum rules by posting this... I'm not related to neoqb or any publisher or developer of anything other than bus timetables except as a relieved customer!)

Last edited by Dozer_EAF(T); 01/18/10 11:16 PM.

Dozer
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2942964 - 01/20/10 12:01 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: Dozer]  
BigDuke66 Offline
BigDuke66  Offline

What I don't get is why are planes on sale that come with the game like SPAD XIII, Fokker DVII, Nieuport 28 & Albatros DV.

Does the Upgrade differ in any way from the normal game?

"Das Fliegen ist das Leben wert!"
#2942974 - 01/20/10 12:09 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: BigDuke66]  
ElAurens Offline
ElAurens  Offline

USA
You can smell the desperation in the air in Moscow.

Sad really.

Curtiss Fan Boy.

Online as BlitzPig_EL.
#2942992 - 01/20/10 12:30 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: BigDuke66]  
slybelle Offline
slybelle  Offline

Originally Posted By: BigDuke66
What I don't get is why are planes on sale that come with the game like SPAD XIII, Fokker DVII, Nieuport 28 & Albatros DV.

Does the Upgrade differ in any way from the normal game?

If I'm not mistaken some of the early releases of the game had different released aircraft. At some point then everybody received the same four with the base game. Although these aircraft are listed in the store, they are blocked from you actually purchasing so you won't be double buying.

#2943015 - 01/20/10 01:04 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: slybelle]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
I'm interested, but isn't this the sim that requires you to be online to play? I played the demo and loved the feeling of altitude and flight modeling. I don't know if I was online then or not.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#2943031 - 01/20/10 01:33 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: Plainsman]  
slybelle Offline
slybelle  Offline

Originally Posted By: Plainsman
I'm interested, but isn't this the sim that requires you to be online to play? I played the demo and loved the feeling of altitude and flight modeling. I don't know if I was online then or not.

Yes, currently you have to be connected to internet to play. However, the developers have said they are currently working on a update that will allow you to play offline. To me, worth buying now while cheaper.

#2943033 - 01/20/10 01:35 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: Dozer]  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
Do I need to have the demo installed before purchasing full access or can I purchase my full access and then download it? The Fileplanet servers are full at present.

Edit:Ignore this. I got the download to work.

Last edited by KJakker; 01/20/10 02:41 AM.
#2943065 - 01/20/10 02:33 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: ElAurens]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: ElAurens
You can smell the desperation in the air in Moscow.

Sad really.

Lots of that going around with retailers in the December-January timeframe of the year.

I think it has something to do with the holidays, but I'm not sure.

Naw, couldn't be a Christmas sale; clearly you're right and it is desperation.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2943091 - 01/20/10 03:30 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: Dart]  
ElAurens Offline
ElAurens  Offline

USA
Dart, I appreciate your enthusiasm for this title, really I do. Obviously I don't share it any more. Nor do any of the rather large bunch of folks that make up my extended flight sim community. Those of us that purchased it, (myself included) no longer play it, and those that were waiting (endlessly) for it to get out of it's beta state now won't touch it with a ten foot joystick.

Their business model is just flat out wrong.

The constant connection to the mother ship stll puts off a huge pool of perspective players.

Still no proper online, join when you want server function.

Still a totally dead world to fly in, with a lifeless campaign, hopeless AI, and very questionable damage model, and they started WW1 at the end. Wow, how insightful.

Sorry Dart, this is not a Holiday Sale, not by a long shot. And it only serves to make those of us that paid full price for the title, and the extra aircraft we bought, feel like the suckers we are for thinking this was gonna work.

And believe me, I wanted it to work.

Curtiss Fan Boy.

Online as BlitzPig_EL.
#2943125 - 01/20/10 04:28 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: ElAurens]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Don't let El Aurens and Dart get everyone down. ROF isn't going anywhere but up.

The constant connection is no longer going to be a requirement as I have unofficially stated elsewhere.

QMB has is in testing, Dogfight is being worked on and some new Campaigns are coming along with a lot of other stuff.

Rome and even IL-2 wasn't built in a day or even 6 months.

The good news is El Aurens has a permanent account and come back anytime he wishes. We won't hold it against him. :-)

I think now is a great time to buy at only $19.99 myself. It's just a temporary sale, not a fire sale. You never know what the future will hold.

Jason

#2943160 - 01/20/10 05:43 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Granboy Offline
Granboy  Offline

Kansas, USA
Hi Jason,

Could you please clarify what you mean by "Dogfight is being worked on"? What I would like to see in this sim/game is more game, as in being able to have two sets of joysticks connected to the same PC for Dogfighting against someone who is seated right beside you. To me and my family and friends, that is the ultimate fun. I don't need or want anything online. An alternative would be to be able to connect two PCs in a LAN and play that way without having to go through your servers.

Please clarify.

Thanks!

p.s. I don't see your price move as desperation. Henry Ford noticed that as he continued to lower the price on the Model T that he always made more and more total profit from the increase in sales. The price of ROF was very reasonable when I bought it and is simply a far better deal now. No complaints!

Granboy's ride brought to you by: Dell Precision T5400 Workstation - Passmark rating 2172.0
875w PSU on 250V // (2)Xeon E5410 Quads @2.33Ghz // 6gigs ECC RAM 667Mhz // Win 7 Ult 64bit, Aero 7.3 // 128gig Crucial M225 Solid State Drive // XFX HD 5850 Black Ed. Video // Audiophile 192 Audio // SI T-amp & home-brewed MB Quart Speaker // MS FF2 Stick - red trigger // Saitek Pro Pedals // TrackIR 5 // OneAc CB2320 1875w line unit // (2)Dell 24" Ultra monitors on 250V & EyeFinity
#2943196 - 01/20/10 07:54 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: ElAurens]  
Hiccup Offline
Hiccup  Offline

Othello, Wa. USA
Originally Posted By: ElAurens
Dart, I appreciate your enthusiasm for this title, really I do. Obviously I don't share it any more. Nor do any of the rather large bunch of folks that make up my extended flight sim community. Those of us that purchased it, (myself included) no longer play it, and those that were waiting (endlessly) for it to get out of it's beta state now won't touch it with a ten foot joystick.

Their business model is just flat out wrong.

The constant connection to the mother ship stll puts off a huge pool of perspective players.

Still no proper online, join when you want server function.

Still a totally dead world to fly in, with a lifeless campaign, hopeless AI, and very questionable damage model, and they started WW1 at the end. Wow, how insightful.

Sorry Dart, this is not a Holiday Sale, not by a long shot. And it only serves to make those of us that paid full price for the title, and the extra aircraft we bought, feel like the suckers we are for thinking this was gonna work.

And believe me, I wanted it to work.

I myself am enjoying it more than ever now. This last patch allows me to increase the eye candy with out sacrificing the FPS. MP is much better now since you can change sides in the lobby instead of how it was where u had to leave the server. Now that was lame. Although there is work that still needs to be done and they are currently working on it I'm more than willing to wait another day or two..... clapping

Seriously...This sim is by far IMO well worth the money I spent on it. Bought it when it 1st came out and have purchased each plane when they came out (Still waiting for the next allied one...hint...hint...) and will continue to do so. Aside from the MP DF side and campaign that needs to be completed I personally do not see any major work that needs to make this sim viable. Anything after those is just icing on the cake.

I just bought Wings of Prey, Beautiful graphics but personally even flying it in simulation mode it still feels a little arcadish to me. There is allot of work that needs to be done in that sim to make it top notch but the point being is ROF IMO has a much better FM then WOP. After flying WOP for about an hour I come back to ROF. I'm am sure there are many individuals out there very excited with the up and coming patch. That new QMB looks great and cannot wait to try it out.

Great Job Neoqb, and keep it coming.. whoohoo

#2943201 - 01/20/10 08:15 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
I think it's a good idea to lower the price, even if temporarily. Let's not forget that a lot of the OMG planes have to be purchased separately smile
MS sold Xbox at below cost to sell games, which they get a cut of.
Fortunately there's several things to play ATM, and more to look forward to, so why wail and moan when all you might do is put off the potential purchasers who fund further work on sims?
If neoqb is to sever the internet connection requirement, then my issues with the game have disappeared, and the game can only get better from now on.
It should be obvious that the developers care about what they're doing, so why don't you complain directly to them instead of bagging RoF pointlessly without consideration to it being still early days.
Man, there seems to be an incredible amount of negativity in flight sim communities.

#2943868 - 01/21/10 01:33 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: tagTaken2]  
Dozer Offline
Dozer  Offline

It is reported that when Steam have their ridiculous 80%-off sales, the more aggressively they cut the price, the more revenue they make. IE their bank balance will be greater tomorrow if they put a game on sale today at 75%-off, compared to 50%-off or 25%-off. Selling your product half price for 10 days is not desperation, just smart marketing.

Dozer
#2943877 - 01/21/10 02:02 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: Dozer]  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
Looking at the aircraft bundles they are not that bad if you you compare them to other offerings. Back when MechWarrior 4(different genre, I know) was out they had two mech packs that each added 4 BattleMechs and a weapon for $20 a piece so 8 Mechs and 2 weapons was $40. With all four bundles it is $48.80. Taking into account around 10 years of inflation and the actual cost is probably not that different. Take your pocket change and through it in a jar or decide not to eat that donuts every Sunday morning and you could probably pay for a bundle a month easily.

#2943902 - 01/21/10 02:55 AM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: KJakker]  
BigDuke66 Offline
BigDuke66  Offline

Well I was still not sure if I really want to spend money on ROF especially after the demo that just sucks, but 15 Euros did sound too good so I bought it and after my first round in the Fokker D VII I think it was a good buy.

"Das Fliegen ist das Leben wert!"
#2944267 - 01/21/10 04:56 PM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: BigDuke66]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Jason missed my sarcasm, even if El Aurens didn't! smile

I'd love to sit down with Jason some time and discuss price point determination.

Too high and it is overly expensive; too low and it is a "bargain bin" title not worth buying, as we often equate price with quality. For me it is an intellectual exercise, but for Jason it has tangeable impacts.

A sale over the holiday season isn't remarkable in any way, IMHO.

Indeed, I'm suprised neoqb hasn't started package deals (besides lumping two planes together for purchase) where the whole lot can be purchased at once for a 25% discount over the ala carte total, or short term (say, 24 hours) specials on rotating models of planes. Maybe even come up with a catchy sort of phrase for it, like Mid-day Insanity, Dawn Delirium, or possibly something tied to the middle of the night where the date changes and mental distress.

I'll have to research, but I think one online store for software does something with the title like that, particularly the latter. Maybe Jason knows. wink

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2944301 - 01/21/10 05:36 PM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: Dart]  
ElAurens Offline
ElAurens  Offline

USA
If/when the title gets out of beta, and if/when I come back to it, I'll be in a world of hurt because of the large number of aircraft that will have to be purchased to "catch up" on flyables. I'm not at all happy about that, and it is one of the sticking points for many of my friends.

A discounted price on the whole plane set would be a good thing.

However, I'd need to see a massive number of improvemnets over the sim in it's current state before I'd invest the time/money in it again.

Time will tell, as I have said, and time is running out as Oleg will have SOW off the ground this year and if so, well...

Curtiss Fan Boy.

Online as BlitzPig_EL.
#2944317 - 01/21/10 06:04 PM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
fox3 Offline
fox3  Offline

North East USA
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Don't let El Aurens and Dart get everyone down. ROF isn't going anywhere but up. >snip<

You never know what the future will hold.

Jason

Where did I hear this before .... oh yeah the Donner Party. WinkNGrin

The market that this sim is catering to is of a finite limit. The sooner it expands this base the greater the profits increase and hopefully more progress made. Take that for what its worth, I did not spend my cash on something I would hope to fail.

As said in another post patience is the proper course at the moment. I would rather wait and get it right then have it rushed and kill off any hopes with poor design. Thing is I have this sick feeling in three months, (I said this here 4 months ago), this will still be "in the works". I really hope to be proved wrong this time

cheers M8.

#2944363 - 01/21/10 07:14 PM Re: Rise of Flight on sale! 20 dollars, 15 euro! [Re: fox3]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Oh, I don't think SoW: BoB will really put a dent in RoF sales, as they're different flight sim genres. Heck, RoF didn't dent OFF's sales, and OFF didn't dent RoF's, and they're both WWI sims.

Fox, I'm betting that RoF will "still be in the works," as anything less denotes abandonment. The really great sims are in a continuous state of improvement. RoF just has a lot more to improve on!

From Laser:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.