Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2946635 - 01/25/10 08:25 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) ***** [Re: KJakker]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I agree with KJakker, I'm almost buying this game...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2946722 - 01/25/10 02:33 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: komemiute]  
cmirko Offline
cmirko  Offline

cheers Dart :), you should definitively think about some short fiction stories for starters, talent is here :), obviously smile

http://102nd.servebeer.com/Server/status.html
200+ User made Coop missions \:\)
SEOW and DCG COOP Campaigns
#2946789 - 01/25/10 04:00 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: cmirko]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
Nice ending to the last AAR! Made me smile as I could picture the scene in my head, as if I was watching it on TV.

Last edited by 2GvSAP_Mohawk; 01/25/10 09:06 PM. Reason: Will we find out why Rendell was so ticked off?

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#2946872 - 01/25/10 06:37 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: 2GvSAP_Mohawk]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Dart, you have a talent. These are really good.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#2947119 - 01/26/10 03:23 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: oldgrognard]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Another good read Dart. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#2948976 - 01/28/10 09:37 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Medals and the Metal of Men
2 September 1917
1830 hours
Chaudun Aerodrome

We stood rather awkwardly in front of the Escadrille, which had been seated in chairs pulled from tent and hangar; Rendell, myself, and the other pilot that had survived the day were in our best uniforms while the Exec stood farther off with a large square of wood in his hands.

The Commander walked up from behind the assembly, adjusting his tunic, and stood to our right.

"Tonight," he began, "as we pay tribute to those that have fallen, we also pay tribute to those who survived to fight another day.

"These men have each demonstrated the spirit that makes this Escadrille the best in the whole of the French Army," he continued without so much as a hint of irony, "and so while we award medals to them, it is the entire Escadrille that wears them in their hearts.

"Lieutenant Pierre Rendell is hereby awarded the War Cross, second silver oak leaf, for actions near Reims that allowed the successful reconnaissance behind the line of resistance by attacking and defeating a German scout as mentioned in the day's dispatches." The medal, adorned with both silver oak leaves, was pinned to his left breast, a kiss put on both cheeks, and a salute given and received. The commander moved in one step in front and to the side of the pilot between us, at an angle so that the group could hear him.

"Lieutenant Robert Boucher," he started again, and I found myself thinking so that is his name! "is hereby awarded the War Cross for actions near Reims that allowed the successful reconnaissance behind the line of resistance by attacking a German scout as mentioned in the day's dispatches." A plain medal, without cluster, came off of the board the Executive Officer and placed on his chest. Two kisses (which was done in a most manly nature - something one from Alabama must witness to believe can be performed as such), a salute, and the Commander made one single step to stand beside me, half facing the assembly.

"Sergeant Martin Miller is hereby awarded the War Cross, second silver oak leaf, for actions near Reims that allowed the successful reconnaissance behind the line of resistance by attacking and defeating a German scout as mentioned in the day's dispatches." The medalwas pinned to my left breast, a kiss put on both cheeks, and a salute given and received. The commander moved to stand in front of me, facing the Escadrille fully.

"As you all know, Sergeant Martin came to the French air forces in an unusual manner," he started, and I thought here we go to myself as I began to fidget. "Not many mechanics are tricked into piloting an aeroplane during a rainstorm, and few that had would ever have such an initiation would ever set foot near a flying machine again."

There was the appropriate laughter.

"Yet in three months, despite being wounded twice, Sergeant Martin has downed twenty German aeroplanes."

There was a pause and silence from the seated Escadrille, as if they were shocked with a terrible private secret exposed in public. Except for handsome young Lafayette and the rough and portly Rene, who was oddly in his dress uniform; they sat in the back row grinning, as if about to laugh.

The Commander turned towards me, taking a medal, one I had never seen, from the Executive Officer.

"For actions that have displayed courage, audacity, and skills that have resulted in the downing of twenty German aeroplanes, Sergeant Martin Miller is hereby awarded the Military Medal."

"This concludes the award ceremony," he said firmly, and as we took our seats at the back of the group, he continued, "and so we must now take time to more fully honor those that fell and are no longer with us. Exec, if you will read the names and biographies, so that we may learn more about those who we will so sorely miss..."

I let my mind wander, as I always did during memorials. The bit about reading biographies so that we may learn more about the fallen was an effort to put a name to a pilot that may have only lived six hours after joining the Escadrille and barely introduced (if at all). It had seemed like far more than three months since Torma had fooled me into that Nieuport; it was more like a lifetime.

Soon enough it was finished, and we were instructed to go to the mess.

The Executive Officer instructed that the three of us that recieved awards and Rene remain behind, however. Just outside the hangar they stopped us, and the Exec was gleeful as he removed the medals from my chest and placed them on Rene's.

"The press is inside, and they insist on speaking to Sergeant Miller and taking his picture."

Of course! Rene had long been my stand in for such things, and no addition to a list of German aeroplanes was going to change things. Besides, it would break his heart to have to drop the ruse. He had "dug his own trenches," as he put it, using my name at every opportunity with the ladies.

I laughed and made my way to the mess. There would be no need to confuse the proceedings by entering the hangar.

In the mess the atmosphere was markedly different than the night before. The piano was off key, but being played, and there was lively conversation filling the air as thickly as cigarette smoke. I bore scant attention, but when Lieutenant Boucher entered there was a rousing cheer.

One of their own had met the dreaded triple winged death machines and not only survived but had recieved a medal for it! They forced him to recount the affair, which interested me as well - I had no idea what happened to Rendell and this young man while I was being nearly killed by my own German.

He played down his part, giving credit for Rendell at every turn, but the mob wasn't having any of it. They had soon switched roles in his tale, where Rendell was the one outmatched and helpless while Boucher made a daring high reverse to shoot down the Hun.

I glanced over at Rendell as he grabbed a chair at my corner table, but saw he was amused rather than upset at the facts being altered right before his eyes. Lafayette limped over to us as well, and shouted for Rene to bring us beer.

The four of us sat with secret grins, taking a vicarious thrill at the lifted spirits that were singing the British tune Tipperary. Things seemed quite alright at that moment, and we let it wash over us.

But we knew that tomorrow would bring another sortie and the chance to have our biographies read so that others might better know those that they would miss.

[Dart says:

The actual next mission AAR will be done tonight or tomorrow morning; it's a hum-dinger (or at least I thought so), but I didn't think Martin's twentieth official kill should go without its own little vignette.]

Last edited by Dart; 01/28/10 09:46 PM. Reason: Added kill record.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2949092 - 01/29/10 01:26 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
The kill sheet is a nice touch. yep
I am looking forward to the humdinger. smile

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#2949709 - 01/29/10 10:55 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Hornets and Nests
3 September 1917
0600 Hours
Chaudun Aerodrome

Rene was smiling as I entered the hangar, meeting me at the nose of Number 17 and waving with a flourish to the rear of the large hangar. Somehow he had once again encouraged the mechanics to work into the wee hours of the night to build a room for me, and within I saw an actual bed with matress to go along with some well worn but welcomed furniture - a wardrobe, a desk, a book shelf, and two chairs. He apologized that the lamp was oil, and assured me that an electric lamp would be installed in the near future.

On one chair was a flying coat, helmet, goggles, and mittens; in the other, Lafayette, looking very boyish in the bulk of his overly large sweater and flying boots. One could easily discount him for the cheery disposition that hinted at naitivity, but he had proven his metal by escaping the German lines and crawling through No Man's land under fire for two days, as well as enduring grievous wounds on a later mission. There was, for all his efforts to conceal it, too much grit in him to allow for the goofball act to be sold completely.

"What are you doing, Jack?" I asked, Americanizing his first name.
"Waiting for the mission, just as you are, Martin."
"So soon?"
"Soon enough."

And he was right. We were always short on pilots; the wounded were always pressed to resume flying as soon as they were fit enough to operate an aeroplane, and often earlier. Men who lost hands, feet, and even an eye were accepted into the cockpits across the front; always volunteers after such injury, they were however never declined.

The planned mission to patrol the front was scratched, however - a pair of observation planes had been spotted, and we were to engage them:

Rendell was lead, Boucher his second, and a grinning Lafayette took the number four position, next to my number five at the right of the takeoff formation. I was dismayed that Boucher paused to put on a pair of spectacles before fitting his goggles - eyesight is important in the skies - and at the amount of assistance required for Lafayette to get into the cockpit.

We took off in good order, forming up even as we left the turf of the aerodrome.

Within moments, however, we saw machines curving about ahead and above us!

Enemy scouts so close to our hangars? We moved up to render assistance.

Lafayette shifted left in the formation, climbing as he did so.

I kept my track, letting the SPAD rise with just a slight pull to the rear of the stick.

Leaning forward, I squinted hard to make the shape of the scouts in front of me, trying to resolve friend from foe.

A Fokker! Devilishly tricky, it was probably the best scout the Hun had in the air, as it could dive as well as it climbed, turned quickly, and could regain airspeed just as fast. Worse, this one had spotted me!

He performed a rolling dive towards me, and I knew that if I did not slip and turn his twin guns would be on me. The Germans were very good at shooting!

I had spoiled his aim, but he had steamed past me and began a tight turn.

The SPAD is an excellent machine, but outmatched by such maneuvers.

Indeed, he reversed so well by use of rudder that he had to change the direction of his turn to try and get his guns on me. He had one and a half turns to three quarters of my own!

I could do little but watch as he danced around me, rolling my aircraft in a hope for a pursuit postition.

But I wasn't alone in the fight! A SPAD caught him even as he sped away from me, firing a long burst as he turned about.

Smoke poured from his machine as he pitched high in a failed attempt to escape.

A small wisp of flame flowered on his engine.

By the time he crossed under me it had engulfed his machine.

I looked about as quickly as I could and still make out details, and there below me was another Fokker.

Rolling to the right, I kept the nose high to see what he would do. Another tight turn to the right!

But followed with a dive to gain speed and put distance with the other scouts. I had and opportunity!

I'm certain the Hun was cursing the SPAD's diving ability as I was on him in an instant! He pitched up hard to avoid me.

I fired in an effort to place some bullets through his fuselage as he crossed my guns, but he was far too nimble for me to follow through.

A shadow flashed across my SPAD and something plummeted immediately after. It startled me, and I glanced down to see a French plane screaming towards the ground missing wings. How it happened I had no clue, and the distraction caused me to loose my Jerry.

Others had taken up my cause, though, and I rushed to catch up to the melee.

They were clearly struggling to shoot him down, and the German seemed almost to be toying with them.

He danced out of the way of the bullets in a tight turn. Damn these machines! If I had my way they'd all be destroyed, forbidden to ever be made again.

He continued his turn to the left, and I hesitated, hoping he would complete it.

Success! I fired as he crossed my guns!

Perhaps I hit him; he certainly slipped to his right and dove away from me.

I went after him, firing from long distance.

I did my best to aim ahead of him, guessing as to where he might be as my machineguns chattered.

He turned more sharply, and I craned my neck against the blocked view my upper wing was frustrating me with.

There! He was slipping, slowing so that I would over shoot, but I thought I saw what might me a trail of fuel coming from behind the cockpit.

Even as I continued my roll to strike again, one of my comrades had finished the job for me.

Bringing the nose up, I marked the SPAD to my left so that I might form up with him after he crossed under me.

He wiggled his tail by means of pushing the rudder left and right quickly and I smiled. Lafayette, trying to be the clown even in the air!

We found Rendell and the others and chased to catch up.

The SPAD that had fallen from the sky was not one of our own, and I began looking about for the Hun two seaters.

There, just through my sights as small dots against the blue sky, resolved two flying machines.

We raced forward, and it was soon clear they were the offending aeroplanes we were to bring down.

I forumulated a quick plan in the hopes of bringing them down without getting shot for the pleasure. I would make for the lead observer....

And fire at an angle, letting my machinegun fire find him as I climbed in such a way as to keep me from the rear facing gunner.

As he crossed my fire, rather than turn with him to get his tail, I would hold the climb, slowing.

This would bring the rear observation plane into my sights.

Where I would rake the observer with my twin machineguns.

After which my SPAD would come back down to the left so that I would engage the first, leveling out and dropping my nose.

The plan worked just fine, with the exception that I didn't down the planes or kill the observers, as the flash of machinegun fire and tracers narrowly missing me proved!

Still, I raked across the top of the fuselage and into the wings before diving away.

From below I couldn't tell if I had done any damage.

Climbing back up behind them, the gunners seemed to be unfazed by my attack, but they hand their hands full with the rest of the flight!

A SPAD's engine was knocked still by their fire as I advanced.

Eager to catch up, I made for the lower of the pair as my gliding comrade fired before he was forced to fly away.

Two of the flight also pursued, flying in much faster than myself, but they were clear from my sights as I fired from long distance.

We hammered at the two seater, the SPADs ahead of me diving to avoid collision as I continued to close the range.

The Hun slipped, a fatal error, as it exposed his observer to my bullets - he was dead as I approached, hoping to strike the pilot.

My guns chattered faithfully, without stopping, as I neared.

I pulled up as late as I dared, knowing that the slumped Jerry in the back had sealed this aeroplane's doom.

We had shredded the upper wing as well, and I wondered if the pilot was wounded.

I circled the pair, deciding to take on the Hun machine that still presented a threat.

He fired at me too far away as I turned for my attack and checked my guns.

Staying under his gun's arc, it was an easy thing to close the distance with the powerful SPAD.

Although we were both slipping in an effort to make each other's shooting more difficult, I could see linen from his machine ripping into the air and the German struggling to bring his gun around.

As I charged on, continuing to shoot, I became close enough to see the Hun's face looking back at me.

Too late he tried to defend himself, as I shredding the thin fabric around him, no doubt causing mortal injury. I saw his last act of defiance as I pulled up, a wild press of the trigger. His face was pale, emotionless, even as he slumped over his gun.

I pulled up over the gruesome display.

Looking down, I was chagrined to see both machines still flying. Both were defenseless, and I was sure one of them would have been downed!

Disaster! Even as I made a wide turn to come back on the helpless Germans, one of our own collided with an observation aeroplane. The madness of it! The SPAD fell away, spiralling to the ground, as the two seater inverted from the shock and dove, no doubt to break up.

I was angry to my bones, and yelled against the noise of engine and wind as I sought revenge. I howled down after a SPAD, impatient to take my turn at the Hun.

I was too hasty, too excited, and my attack demonstrated it.

I fished the rudder left and right, too eager to bring my bullets on him.

None of them hit home, even at very close range!

I backed off, checking my guns, and forced myself to calm down. If the pair of SPADs didn't finish him, I would.

The dove together, avoiding a collision. I would have my chance for a killing blow.

I started long, firing a steady stream into his plane as I neared.

His fuel tank exploded (or perhaps an internally stored bomb they sometimes dropped by hand).

Either way his machine fell apart in flames.

Amazingly, the other two seater had survived the collision with the SPAD and had dove low in an effort to escape.

I was on him in an instant.

My guns chattered again, raking his machine through the cockpit.

I pulled up as the dead pilot slumped back away from the controls.

The three of us formed up for the short trip back home. I waved over to the plane to my left, but there was no wiggle of the rudder. A sick feeling came over me, as I knew it was not Lafayette.

The second plane dove down close to the lead, who looked as if he were struggling with his engine.

I closed in as well, diving below and frowning at the sight of the bottom engine panel hanging down. The pilot lay to the side of his cockpit, as if injured, as we approached the field.

The second machine passed him and made to land.

The lead machine stuttered in the air, stalling to the right, barely recovering back to level flight after a sharp right turn. The treeline lay before him, ready to receive his aeroplane.

I continued along, landing beside the second and rolling long of it.

Turning about towards the hangars, I couldn't see where the lead had gone. It was if he had vanished.

I drove Number 17 close by the hangar and shut the engine down.

Ripping the mittens from my hands, I found that I could not make the restraints release me. My fingers had a mind of their own, and my hands were shaking terribly. Rene powerfully forced me back against the seat with his left arm and undid the buckles with his right. I wanted to leap out of the machine, but he kept me pinned until my eyes found his own.

I stopped struggling, and he released his grip.

Climbing out, I threw my helmet and goggles to the ground and unfastened the belt and buttons to my flying coat. We half ran to the trees, following the tracks left by the ambulance towards it. As we reached it, the Executive Officer was there to greet us with a raised hand.

"Do not go in there," he ordered with a grim face.
"Was it Rendell?"
"Yes."
"Is he alive?"

The Exec looked to the ground, not answering.

The stretcher bearers came a minute later from the trees. The terrain had been rough for them, and they had no blanket for the body. Rendell's arm trailed off the side of it, and his head lolled back and forth with each step, the neck completely broken.

The wood panelling of the ambulance's side cracked at the force of my punch, and I ignored the pain in my hand as I ran my fingers through my matted hair in grief. As I stormed back to the hangar and my quarters, Boucher raised his hand as if to offer comfort, and then let it fall.

Last edited by Dart; 01/30/10 06:57 AM. Reason: All done!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2949934 - 01/30/10 12:48 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
Noo! Rendell!

#2950876 - 02/01/10 03:09 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Gopher]  
cmirko Offline
cmirko  Offline

the horrors of war....

another great AAR smile

http://102nd.servebeer.com/Server/status.html
200+ User made Coop missions \:\)
SEOW and DCG COOP Campaigns
#2951394 - 02/02/10 09:20 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: cmirko]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Another good one Dart. smile

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#2953582 - 02/06/10 03:38 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Turning Around
2 September 1917
1900 hours
Chaudun Aerodrome main hangar

I was sitting outside of my little room at the back of the hangar, bothered so by the loss of Rendell that I hadn't changed from my flying boots and woolen trousers, instead compensating against the warm of the afternoon by stripping down to my undershirt.

A truck pulled up just outside of the open doors and Lafayette bounded from it, smiling as he walked up to me.

"He holed my radiator, but I got him!" he exclaimed, "did you see it?"
"Rendell is dead," I said flatly.
"How?" the young pilot asked incredulously, the joy sucked from him in one breath, "I saw him fly back towards the aerodrome as I was making to land. My engine completely froze up."
"Crashed on landing. He had been injured by one of the observers and couldn't bring it down right."
"Merde," he swore, and sat down on the hangar floor to my right. We said nothing, simply staring out of the hangar and ignoring the sounds and movement of mechanics.

Eventually he got back up, and as if suddenly deciding on a course of action, demanded that I change into a proper uniform at once. Rather than taking it as an invitation to fight, I went along with his request.

"Where are we going?" I asked as he led me out of the hangar.
"You'll see, Martin," he replied with far more cheerfulness than I cared for.

I trailed him to the small headquarters building and frowned as he opened the door and asked the Sergeant Major for a moment of the Exec's time.

"Yes, Lieutenant Lafayette?" the Exec asked, eyebrow raised.
"I need the use of a car and a twenty four hour pass for myself and Sergeant Miller, starting now," he ordered.
"Is that all?" he asked, suprised by the junior officer's imperious tone.
"No, I'll need three passes," he amended, "We're taking Rene with us."
"And where is the Lieutant going, if I may be so bold to ask?" The Exec seemed more amused than irritated, but his tone also let on there was to be a big non at the end of this conversation.
"Reims."
"Reims?"
"Reims. Martin has barely seen anything of France from the ground, and none of it very good. I'm afraid he might be getting the wrong impression of our great nation."

"Approved," said a loud voice from an office adjoining the anteroom. The Commander's office. He stepped out looking very serious.
"Yes, sir," replied the Exec, clearly unhappy about being unable to deny the request.
"Don't look so glum, Paul," the Commander chided, "you're going with them."
"But sir..." he protested.
"You haven't taken a leave in six months, and it would do you good."
"Yes, sir," the Exec, clearly in disagreement.
"Besides," he added, "I need you to watch over them and make sure they don't get into trouble. They don't have the sort of connections that Torma has to bail them out."
"Naturally," the Major smiled; the idea of having fun - with or without us - was something that wasn't in his character, but playing proctor was right up his alley.
"Take my car; Rene has the keys from the last time he borrowed it without my permission."
"Thank you, sir," Lafayette grinned.
"Just come back in one piece and stay out of trouble."

And so we did. Reims was a wartime city very close to the front, which was both good and bad for four men looking for a vacation spot. Soldiers were everywhere, many buildings had been damaged from bombing and errant artillery, and there was an undertone of chaos that made people busy for the sake of being busy, an artificial rush that was the antithesis of what I had seen of the French. However, this also induced a devil-may-care atmosphere in the bars, dance halls, and the men themselves that bred vice on a scale that would make the city of New Orleans at Mardi Gras blush. The black market had so consumed things that I doubted there was a legitimate one in operation; from pornographic playing cards to German cigarettes, nothing was unvailable for a price.

Rene had an uncanny ability to find the most clandestine of operations was almost as impressive as his immediate acceptance into them, and with his passage our own. In the space of four hours we had played poker in an opium den (though we left very shortly once it became clear Lafayette was becoming woozy from the smoke), craps in a basement casino, and Vingt-et-un in a very fancy bordello. We stayed the evening there.

The next morning I was suprised to see the Exec join me as I enjoyed some black market English tea.

"Martin," he said in a familar, friendly tone, "don't look so sad. She was a very pretty girl." He chuckled to himself at a sudden thought, adding "unless you were hoping to go to jail and discovered she is unmarried."

"I was just thinking about how Rendell's death will effect the Escadrille."
"It won't hardly matter at all."
"How can you say that?" I demanded. Rendell had been an excellent flight leader, an Ace in his own right, and just an all around fine fellow.
"They didn't know him," the Exec said with a shrug, "we've only been with the Escadrille for a week. It isn't like they could know him enough to miss him either way."
I said nothing.
"Of the many pilots I have flown with since July of 1916, only three are still alive. From the start of this year, only six."
"So many lost, sir."
"While we are on leave, it's Paul, Martin," he corrected gently, then made a wry grin. "The worst of it is that you had to be one of them."

Soon the others joined us, and after a quick round about the town we headed back to the aerodrome. I drove, as both Lafayette and Rene had managed to become so drunk that they swished around the back seat with every turn or bump, and the Major wouldn't have been caught dead driving a Sergeant, even one he was on a first name basis with.

4 September 1917

The weather was fine, if getting colder, and so we would be flying in the morning.

A simple escort of a convoy that would be bringing supplies so critical that they had to be delivered in daylight. Lafayette was again flying the number four position, opposite the formation from me, and Boucher was the flight leader.

I advanced the engine to just before the grass gave way against the wheels.

I was secretly proud of taking off in synchronicity, four plane lengths behind Lafayette when my SPAD took to the air. We formed up quickly and all thoughts of worry left me. For all the danger, flying had addicted me to it.

Lafayette was holding perfect formation, focused on the flight around him, and did not respond to my wave. I would have to speak to him about that. He should be scanning the skies first and always!

A small farm estate caught my eye, resting along the gentle bend of the river. I made a mental note of it on my map (my grease pencil had fallen under the seat); it looked like a fine place to fish and beg a meal.

Soon we were over the river and nearing the front. The convoy should be close at hand, and I split my attentions between the sky, the formation, and the road below. Somehow we had crossed over a group of trucks without noticing, but closer inspection showed they were moving away from the ugly earthen scar. Ambulances taking advantage of our air cover, no doubt.

Ahead lay the large group of trucks making its way to the Infantry.

I glanced up and cursed. So much for watching three things at once! I had been distracted and our flight was milling about, no doubt meeting with the Germans.

Keeping my machine level, I turned gently towards the discussion, figuring out the right men to pick a fight with.

There, that was a German! I dove forward towards him.

He had made a hard turn to his right and I pressed on, looking to suprise him.

He was pitching high, slowing, and I made left gently with stick and rudder.

I fired too early, trying to lead him, and he spotted me. Whether committed to his maneuver or frozen from fear, he continued on as I raced up to him, firing.

He brought the nose up high, letting it stall to the right from the nose.

Damn my poor shooting!

I raked across him as best I could, missing, and pulling up sharply so as not to hit him with my SPAD!

Looking behind me as I passed him, I was astonished to see he had staggered the stall in the other direction, coming left instead of the anticipated right.

He dove in a curve to the right, hard inside me. Damn these German planes and damn their pilots!

He continued into a sharp hairpin, but I knew he had to climb.

He did!

But there was no way I could follow his turn.

I was absolutely useless against him as he sprinted away from me.

Pushing towards him, I could only hope that he would slow for a climb or turn.

From on high, another German flashed before my guns, and I fired reflexively, kicking the rudder to the right as hard as I could.

I could see that I had hit his top wing!

Coming off the rudder to avoid rolling my machine, I corrected it and saw that he had made a quick right turn under me!

The other German must have been in front of me, judging by the smoke trails of a comrade's bullets, and I was unsure as to which one I should be concerned with.

The answer became clear as I saw the one I had performed the snap shot at reversing himself.

I made a hard right turn to meet him, and jumped in my seat to see that I needed to be concerned with both of them! By pure luck my maneuver had spoiled the one on my nose's aim. SPADs were hard on his heels, so I whipped my head where the other was.

Headed right for me! I dove under him, slipping to the right, and he flashed over me.

Turning as hard as I dared, I saw that he too was making to put his nose on me.

This time I powered over him, staying to the outside of his turn.

I brought the nose high, letting Number 17 slow, and kicked the rudder hard to rotate it much in the same way I had my Nieuport. The German had done his version better, though.

I hammered the stick to the left and stomped the rudder that way as well, twisting my SPAD about as we both fired. Neither struck home, and Jerry passed over with a few feet of room to spare.

He made a left turn past my tail, and I decided to put the nose down and regain some speed - I was playing his game, one with the odds stacked against me.

Low to my front was another German. How many of them were there?

I kept the nose down, chasing after him and hoping the other Germans were left behind. I mentally added them up - three or possibly four Fokkers with us.

Blinking against the sun, I pressed him as he straightened up and climbed.

Firing as he turned, I could see my rounds were wide and to the right.

He slowed as he turned, and I reduced the throttle, determined to follow him and bring him down.

It was a mistake, as my SPAD began to droop in the air, my bullets streaming between his wings and not seeming to do anything.

I pushed the throttle back forward, but it was a losing proposition.

I rolled right to stay behind him as my engine fought to gain speed, and I saw that he, too, had slowed too much.

He dropped to his right, obscured by my upper wing, and I craned my neck about, hoping he hadn't done some sort of radical turn or a roll.

There he was! I had to keep my next turn gentle, but I was certain that I could extend the turn to the right.

Yet another Hun crossed my nose, but this one in a left hand turn!

I aborted the right in favor of the left; gripping the stick with both hands. Did this make four or five of the Hun we were tangled with? Regardless, I fired as he crossed my guns.

This seemed to discourage him, as when I came about he was some 400 yards away. Unless this was a different Jerry and he had done a quick reverse underneath me!

I charged forward, checking my guns. I fired at long range.

He did the most incredible slip, rolling diagonally against the ground, and escaped me.

A German climbed straight up from underneath me, his wings barely visible at my nose one instant...

....and past my guns the next. There was no time to shoot!

His velocity was greater than mine (a clear indication that I was in a very bad way!), and I tracked as he made a climbing turn to the right.

I kept my track, expecting the fish hook shaped turn.

He did not disappoint! I fired a short burst, hoping to catch his engine.

Perhaps I did, as he dove long into a shallow turn. I rolled Number 17 hard to the right, smelling blood.

He went left as I neared, shaking my aim.

Perhaps he was wounded, or exhausted, or simply thought I would dive with him as he turned, but he suddenly climbed, giving me a momentary chance to score some hits on him. I ruined it, of course!

I could see his rudder clearly, and anticipated his sharp left turn. I fired as he cut across in front of me.

How I was missing him was a mystery!

Perhaps I hadn't, though, as he pitched downward towards the ground. Of course another German approached from a higher altitude.

He went past me overhead. Where was the rest of my flight?

I shot at him while he was at the apex of his fish hook. It was long range, but it was the best I'd had.

His turn was much more shallow as he dove away, and I could see fabric from his wings had shredded. And a SPAD!

I moved to strike the German, even as another from my flight attacked him.

He had slowed considerably, and I lined my shot up carefully.

Aiming high as he climbed against my aeroplane, I fired.

Lead streamed into the Fokker.

He made the slow roll towards the ground, one I had seen many times before.

Not bothering to watch him crash, I reversed my roll and spotted another German. Now I definately knew there were at least three Huns, if not four or six - I had downed two already!

I hit him at point blank range, right to the nose!

He turned left and was rewarded with fire from one of my flight!

Reversing, I rolled with him.

He flew up from under my guns, and I gave a short tap to the triggers.

As he came high, I saw that my aim had been good, if my timing uncertain.

He turned back left and high, hanging in the air, as another of my flight sent a huge stream of tracers into him. Flames billowed from his machine and he made a curl of smoke through the air.

I glanced about and spotted what I hoped to be the last of the Germans.

Diving under him, I hoped I had been unseen as he turned.

He went too far to the right and found himself with a very French greeting!

I was the one that had him in my grip, however.

Even dazzeled by the sun, I knew my rounds had hit home.

As I watched his Fokker incenerate, I was welcomed by an even more disturbing sight - the bottom of the inner spar had broken away!

When in the fight it had happened was a mystery, and I was once again in awe of the strength of the SPAD.

Owing to the damage, I landed first, bringing my machine off of the landing area and to the hangars even as the rest of the flight came in.

It was in large measure vanity that I had brought Number 17 within a few feet of the hangar. My muscles burned and ached, my eyes hurt in their sockets, and I doubted that I had the strength to climb out of the machine, let alone walk any distance at all. Rene and another mechanic lifted me from the cockpit and half dragged me to a chair at the side of the door. They pulled mittens, helmet and my goggles off of me, and loosened my flying coat. Rene lit a cigarette and placed it in my mouth.

Lafayette came limping up, forgetting the use of his cane, and sat on a barrel he wheeled over. He was playing the clown, but he was struggling to roll a cigarette, as if his hands were wooden.

Boucher stormed up.

"Martin, what were you thinking?"
"What are you talking about?"
"You had both of them and let them go!"
I shook my head, uncomprehending, and looked at him, puzzled.
"You may think it is fine to drive them down, but I expect you to finish the job," he blustered, "there is no need for charity to other pilots. Never give the Germans a chance!"
Jaques laughed, causing Boucher's ears to turn red.
"What do you think is so funny, Lafayette?"
The young Lieutenant looked at me and then our flight leader, and let out another guffaw.
"Boucher," he smirked, "Martin thought he had shot them down! How many Germans did we face, Martin?"
"Four," I said confidently.
"Two," he corrected. "They feigned the death dive, and you fell for the trick!"
"Oh, sweet Jesus," I said in English.

Boucher said nothing, staring at me, and then snorted in disbelief.

"How the hell did you ever become a quadruple Ace?"
"Luck," I said plainly. It was the truth!

As we sat, my strength slowly returned; for Lafayette the opposite was true. His leg stiffened and he began to wince from it with every tiny movement. I asked Rene to have him moved to my quarters and propped up on the bed, and as I took the chair next to the desk demanded that he send for lunch and a nurse.

Last edited by Dart; 02/06/10 06:51 AM. Reason: All done!

From Laser:
#2953660 - 02/06/10 08:05 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#2953708 - 02/06/10 12:46 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
I look more and more forward to these AARs, well done.

#2953880 - 02/06/10 07:15 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: purolator]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
A great series Dart, very well spun.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2954008 - 02/06/10 11:57 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: 20mm]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
A good yarn indeed. smile

#2954217 - 02/07/10 01:13 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Ssnake]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Gosh, I was holding breath to the final word. Impressive.
Dig this, Dart. Big time!

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#2954579 - 02/08/10 03:30 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: komemiute]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Great stories! Elaborate a bit on those and make an eBook out of them!

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#2955446 - 02/09/10 07:56 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Legend]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Legend is right.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#2955558 - 02/09/10 11:33 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
Great to see another of these. I really like your writing. However reading this reminds me that in this game I can't seem to hit anything.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.