Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3079811 - 08/25/10 04:38 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) ***** [Re: oldgrognard]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Thanks Dart. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3210983 - 02/18/11 08:21 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Much Ado From Nothing
21 September 1917
Aerodrome hangar
2100 hours

The weather had turned too windy to fly for two days, but rather than feeling good about it (as we normally did), we were eager to take the skies. We were down to just three in the flight; the stress of the first bite of combat had proven too poisonous for one of our new pilots. Rather than face a German Maxim or Spandau he had turned his revolver against himself - Rene said the meat would probably be hanging in the branches above where he ended himself next year.

It was so depressing and horrific that we naturally turned to the darkest of humor, particularly after the second bottle of wine.

"We should do it," Lafayette suggested.
"Why?"
"It would get us out of flying for awhile."
"Getting shot in the head will do that," I admitted, "but it doesn't always work out that way." I pulled back my cap to show him the scar from when I was stabbed through my flying cap by a piece of my Nieuport 17 in what seemed like a lifetime ago.
"No, not in the head," he corrected, "in the leg. We could take turns."
"I've seen him shoot," said a voice behind us, "he's liable to miss and turn you into a eunich, Lieutenant."
We both jumped, startled. It was our frustrating Executive Officer, and it couldn't be good news if he had turned up.

"The weather looks like it will improve tomorrow," which meant you will be flying even if there is a herd tornadoes twisting the skies ten deep, "but I want you to perform a small patrol behind our lines to give your new man more experience."

"Well, there are always convoys over where Escadrille 89 is setting up," Lafayette suggested.
"Do it," he ordered, then added "have either of you seen Forager? Another Nieuport 17 has gone missing from a hangar near Rheims and he's been nowhere to be found."

We laughed. That scarred peg legged Artillery observer was definately a wild card - and the fact that he didn't belong to a proper Escadrille meant that he had to pretty much come up with his own plane and parts. Even his mechanic was a one-off; he looked and sounded more like a young girl than a man (except for the exceptional use of profanity that never failed to impress even the most hardened non-commissioned officers) and never wore anything but a baggy set of coveralls.

"It's rumored he's holed up in a small village near that area," the Exec continued, "or at least I think so, judging by the items being stolen from the 89th."

We stoppered the bottle and made our way to our beds. It did not pay to fly even a nothing mission like that with too much of a hangover.

The morning came with remarkably calm skies and no more than ten or twelve mile an hour winds, when one counted in the gusts. We placed our neophyte between us and started our engines before they cooled from the mechanic's run ups.

We made quite a sight flying in a V formation, climbing over the farm house that made our first waypoint.

At the bridge that marked our second, though, Jaques dipped his plane to verify it was the right bridge and turned to the right, diving below me.

I lost sight of him and banked slightly, slowing.

I slammed the throttle shut and pulled up as he filled the front of my cowling!

Too close a call for something as mundane as a simple truck convoy circling lark!

As we crossed over a small farm I spied something that looked suspiciously like a Nieuport next to one of the houses. I smiled at the thought of not saying one word about it.

I had become distracted, though, and lost station with the other two. Fine example I was showing for our new flight member.

Lafayette's SPAD glinted in the sunlight, a hazard of having freshly doped linen.

He didn't continue to circle, however. He straightened up towards the north and raced forward, as if he had seen the Hun.

Incredibly, he had - and this was no lone recon aircraft! Three two seaters in Lafayette's bit and four scouts to the right of them. We'd have our work cut out for us.

I punched one of them in the nose, trying for the radiator or better yet the pilot.

And then plowed through the formation of scouts, hoping that A) they wouldn't be gray with red noses and B) that it would disrupt them.

No real luck on either count!

I did manage to get a pair of the Jerry's attentions, though, and they made a quick turn for me.

I let him pass under me and went for the second.

Fresh meat! He made the fatal error of turning away from my guns - clearly an inexperienced pilot.

He realized his mistake a bit late - I gave him some of my good French lead as he dove away.

To my right was another Albatros, and I made for him.

Perhaps he was looking for his flight or staying high and looking low for easy prey; either way he didn't see me.

I introduced myself to him.

He corkscrewed away as linen flew like confetti from his fuselage, but I didn't dive with him.

Indeed, I didn't see anyone.

Where did they all go?

Low to protect the two seaters, idiot! I yelled to myself.

I rolled into the turn and got back into the game. The German didn't see me rush at him.

Roaring past him, not bothering to see if he went down, I looked back to see there was a lot to think about.

I caught a glipse of a SPAD gliding down towards the treeline at the bottom of my vision.

No time to worry about it, though, as an Alby presented itself to my guns.

He rolled lazily towards the trees and I looked about for other prey.

Another was giving a SPAD some grief, and I moved quickly to intercept.

My angles were bad and I pitched down hard to disrupt his attack.

He flashed past me, escaping my vision, and I turned reflexively towards the planes that were behind me.

Rotten two-seaters!

I stitched the first from nose to tail, but it seemed to do little to him.

Passing them, I turned against them to go for another try.

The incredible speed of the SPAD makes one a very hard target for the observers, so I screamed past the two trailing ones...

...and set fire to the lead.

I ducked down to turn and engage the other two.

A Nieuport 28 crossed me from right to left - I guess the 89th had started to arrive to their new home and decided to join in the fun!

Unfortunately, so did one of those Hun scouts.

Perhaps his engine had been taxed too hard, but he was definately flying much more slowly than they normally do; climbing did not help his cause one bit, though I found great utility in it.

He rolled away from me.

Ahead a SPAD with a shattered lower wing was limping towards our aerodrome, adding urgency to the matter of this German.

It was frighteningly simple, and I am convinced he must have been wounded or overcome with panic.

As I came into range, he did little to evade me - and I was proven wrong in my guess; with his damaged rudder he had little choice.

Indeed, my guns quickly tore it from him, and I rolled hard away from him to avoid being struck by it.

Incredibly, he managed to land it and was taken prisoner!

And ugly smear scarred the sky to the south as I moved to where the grey bombers were.

I whooped loudly as Forager's striped (and informally requisioned) Nieuport swooped about.

I had clearly lost mental count of the single seaters, as one flew along the road below me.

Perhaps he was performing that lazy circle in surrender or in looking for a good place to land.

Or maybe he was playing possum, as I'd seen them do before. No need to take a chance.

I didn't need to follow the scout down; the puff of red that came from the cockpit told the tale. There were other matters to atttend to.

Seeing the the Nieuport 28's had turned off from the observer's guns I made a try for him - and the observer tried for me. Smoke from our guns ran past each other. Mine struck true while he struck out.

Perhaps the engine died. Maybe I had struck the pilot. Either way he struck the ground hard, flipping over.

Looking about I found no more of the enemy, so I began to fly north. There were two aerodromes that way, and I thought maybe Lafayette might have landed at one of them since his wing was damaged (there is no way that a rookie would be flying while Lafayette had crashed into the trees). Not finding him there, I went further north until I saw two planes approaching from a higher altitude.

I had checked and recharged my guns, but there was no need!

The compass showed my course was true, and the instuments made me satisfied that everything was in order.

Almost immediately, of course, the engine simply quit running!

Maybe that gunner hadn't struck out after all.

There were good fields to pick from, and I picked one close to a farmer's road.

I sat there for a long time and pounded the leather around the cockpit with my fist. So much for a "nothing" mission.

Carefully unscrewing the timepiece from the panel, I walked to the road and rode on the back of a farmer's cart to the 89th's aerodromes. Telephone calls were made and I lounged around the mess hall while I waited for our own trucks to arrive to carry me and Number 17 back home.

Forty minutes later Jaques came limping in, his flight suit torn down one leg, a nasty gash having turned it red. His right sleeve was blackened and singed from elbow to shoulder, and he had a wild look about him. Leaves and twigs were matted in his hair.

"Are you okay?" I asked.
"Landed in a tree."
"What?"
"Landed in a tree." he repeated flatly. "Caught fire and had to jump," he added.
"Jump?" I asked.
"Landed in a big tree. Had to jump out when it caught fire."
"The tree caught fire?"
"No," he corrected as if talking to someone very stupid, "the plane caught fire. It was up in the tree."

It took it on face value, and we sat and said nothing until the trucks arrived an hour later.

That afternoon we regained our composure, and it came out that it was indeed Jaques that I saw gliding into the forest. He had brought it into a three point attitude at stall when he struck a very large oak that he said "grabbed the SPAD with its fist" some twelve feet off of the ground. He was unbuckling and wondering how he was going to get down when the petrol ignited; this hastened the decision making process exponentially and he simply lept to the ground, catching a branch that slashed his leg.

It's the sort of event one simply doesn't make up since it is entirely too unlikely to have actually happened.

Our flight mate was missing.

Just about dusk we heard the unmistakeable sound of a German triplane approach the aerodrome. We couldn't see him, and he was flying so low that the sound was bouncing around to defy direction. The bright green Fokker rolled so steeply we could see the yellow stripe on the top center wing as a parcel was thrown from it. Just as quickly he disappeared to the west, and since the sky was darkening we made no effort to pursue.

The most junior man - one of our sentries - was sent out to collect it (since we didn't know if it was a bomb of some sort) and, after many instructions to put his ear against it and shake it vigorously, brought it to us. The Commander unwrapped it to reveal a boquet of flowers and a note, which he handed to me.

Sergeant Miller, you are invited to meet with me at two thousand meters altitude over the front north of Reims at two o'clock tomorrow afternoon. You may bring one man to be your second.

Cordially,

Oberst Meuller

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3211006 - 02/18/11 09:36 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Great AAR! And it's interesting to see how RoF develops over time.

Next episode, Miller vs Müller!

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3211087 - 02/18/11 01:45 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Great story Dart. Agin I applaud your talent.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3211210 - 02/18/11 04:00 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Cool read Dart. smile

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#3211230 - 02/18/11 04:23 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Good stuff Dart, looking forward to the next installment.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#3211247 - 02/18/11 04:46 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Quick questions:

1. Is this from just the vanilla career mode in ROF?
2. Does the vanilla career have accurate squadron and Ace skins present?

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3211639 - 02/18/11 09:53 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
Laser Offline
Laser  Offline

reading

Very nice! And suspense building up ...!

I see you also like darker shadows smile

#3211810 - 02/19/11 01:05 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Force10]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: LS_Force10
Quick questions:

1. Is this from just the vanilla career mode in ROF?
2. Does the vanilla career have accurate squadron and Ace skins present?

1. I take the stock career missions and build on them, adding or changing aircraft to suit. However, the Nieuport career AAR is just stock mission. Obviously all the story stuff is just my overworked imagination.

2) NO. It's one of the major improvements in the new career mode being worked on. Then again, all the Aces that appear in this AAR are completely fictional - unless they're just referenced tangentally.

All the custom skins are my own creation.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3211820 - 02/19/11 01:17 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Thanks Dart, excellent AAR BTW! thumbsup

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3211873 - 02/19/11 02:20 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
This Martin story is worth a second thumbsup. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#3212454 - 02/19/11 10:22 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Aaaah. Finally. smile

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#3254690 - 04/01/11 06:05 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I don't know how these will look on your monitor - they look okay on mine, excepting the banding issues. Much tweaking involved to make it look even halfway decent.*

Things That Go Boom In The Night
Aerodrome near Reims
0340 hours

Lafayette and I had flown to an aerodrome some 15 miles to the west of Reims in the afternoon, landing an hour before dusk. Our commander had telephoned ahead, and we were met and given hangar space. The fellows there kept their distance from us, owing largely to the scowling and menacing demeanor Jaques was putting on for a show - much to his secret delight! Naturally they were disappointed that the famous Sergeant Miller kept his flying helmet on and his goggles down well after he dismounted; they'd be expecting to see my mechanic Rene who had stood in for all the photographs instead of me, and I couldn't risk ruining our ongoing ruse. A small tent was offered to us as quarters, and I immediately set to sleep, as I would have a taxing day ahead of me.

Twenty minutes later I heard the unmistakeable sound of a Nieuport 17 landing and the barking of Forager. That peg legged cuss had flown over to see me off, no doubt, and from the sounds of the verbal melee, he had brought his mechanic with him, having him sit on his lap the whole way! It was a good thing the pilot was a large man and the mechanic a waif of a boy. Still, I wonder how they pulled it off.

My sleep was not to make it thought the night, however. The sounds of idling trucks and the scrape and tink of wrenches woke me. Forager's mechanic had brought two trucks up and had their headlights on his machine, and by the time I got dressed he had just finished putting the cowling on and briefly started and stopped the engine:

My curiosity over-rode my need for the chamber pot, I walked over to see what could inspire such haste in performing maintenance, and why it was being done outside.
"The idiots here won't let me turn on the hangar lights," he said in his high pitched voice, "because they're in blackout."

I was about to remark that he was defeating the intention when the sound of someone banging a hammer on a tin pan rang across the grass.

Metal on metal! Gas attack!

Of all the damnable things, since we were without masks! Pulling my uniform jacket open, buttons flying, I tore my undershirt down the front in a frenzy. There would be only seconds to save us.

"Rip your shirt off!" I yelled as I frantically pulled my pants down and began urinating on the rags. Thank goodness I hadn't filled the bucket before leaving the tent.
"I can't!" Forager's mechanic screamed back.
Tearing the wet strip in two, I pushed the mechanic to the ground and held one against his nose and mouth roughly as I did the same to myself. The ammonia might keep us from dying, and I closed my eyes as tightly as I could to keep from going blind.

"YOU IDIOT!" I heard someone yell, "STOP THAT BANGING! USE THE SIREN! ALL CLEAR OF GAS! BOMBERS ON THE WAY! ALL CLEAR OF GAS!"

I tossed the stinking rag to the side, wiped my face with my sleeve, and put my hand on the mechanic's chest as I made to stand up. Of all the dirty tricks...I ought to find that jerk and - my hand lept back from where it touched the mechanic. He was no boy! There was a tight wrapping, but there was no mistaking that under the coverall was no man's chest.

Forager's mechanic stood and looked frightened, as if she were about to run away.

A man came running up to us.

"Gothas spotted by observers headed this way," he advised, "but there's nothing to worry about. They'll be bombing Reims."

"Is the Nieuport in running order?" I asked firmly.
"Yes," she said, "but there is only a quarter tank of petrol in it."
"All the better!" I decided, "get on the prop."

"Sir," the man said, "they will be too high for you."
"Moonless night," I countered, "they won't be much more than five thousand feet."
"But this plane is obsolete!" he protested.

It seemed quite natural and reflexive to give him a quick punch to the face before jogging up and into the cockpit.

"Switch off, fuel on," the mechanic called out.
"Switch off, fuel on," I yelled back.
She worked the prop through each cylinder twice, clearing and priming them.
"Switch on, fuel on, full air," she called out.
"Switch on, fuel on, full air," I confirmed.

The prop went around and immediately fired up since it was still warm. She reached into a pocket and handed me some goggles before pulling the chalks as I blipped the Nieuport to keep it running without running away.

I climbed away from the aerodrome....

It took me only a few minutes to reach Reims, but I knew I would have to start climbing as best I could.

It is a peculiarity of flying machines that if one wants to climb the best thing to do is not point the nose towards the sky, but only just above the horizon. One makes much more headway going faster with a slight incline than slower with a great one. Even more bizarre, one descends at a slower rate when pointed slightly downward towards the ground than if one points away from it!

Some ten minutes later I had gained considerable height and was shocked to hear the drone of engines above me! What a horrible deep droning noise to be able to go over the sound of my Rhone and the wind through the wires. I looked up when a flash of flak caught my eye and had my breath leave me for a moment.

I counted eight against the night sky! I followed them, climbing, as they circled after crossing the city and back again, no doubt using a landmark for their bombing point (or, more likely, having missed it the first time).

Far below me their bombs burst south of the city, largely missing it. No wonder they didn't send up scouts after them with this sort of accuracy! But I didn't know that at the time, as I was looking up rather than down.

Flak wasn't doing much better - though it was getting rather closer than I liked to Forager's little scout.

The Gotha bombers either could not see it or weren't looking for it, as the gunners were not firing at me.

I announced myself to one that seemed to be straying from the formation.

Every one of the Hun began spraying in my direction blindly as I moved in closer.

I had pitched too high, and brought the nose down to gain speed, which further ruined their aim.

Waiting a moment and then bringing my sights back in on him, we exchanged fire.

I was wondering if I was hitting the big barn of a plane at all when I saw a tracer ricochet into the air from the right engine!

He advanced his throttles as far as he could - I was so close I could actually hear the sound of them increase - and moved to the center of their formation, hoping for cover.

Even in the darkness I could see an engine had seized, and he soon dropped away from their formation.

I drove in the attack, trying to rake the fuselage and kill the crew.

I couldn't bring lead into their bodies, and they put their own into my large radial engine:

My gun was either empty or hopeless jammed (I could neither reload or clear it while flying this close to the enemy), so I had a crazy idea. I would fly below the bomber...

And fire a flare at it! It would be a one in a million shot, but as my engine was sounding very, very rough it was worth a try.

I missed, of course, and only served to illuminate my plane more than his as we flew underneath it.

I reloaded the flare pistol with a cartridge at random and made for the bomber again.

A red flare, and I nearly hit the damaged engine!

But my own engine failed, and I made for a long glide towards our aerodrome.

Of course they had extinguished all the lights and I had to land in a field near a main road. It was only after I had landed that I saw the rear wing strut had been shot in two!

I didn't know it at the time, but I had three to bear witness to my feat - the Gotha had ditched some three miles behind me.

It didn't take long before a truck pulled up to take me back to the aerodrome; in fact I had glided over it and they chased me down the road as quickly as they could in the pre-dawn light.

Forager was waiting for me as I arrived, looking grim.

"Your plane is going to need some repair," I apologized, and meant it.
"I'm not worried about that," he said as we walked back to my tent, "I was actually hoping you would get killed."
"What?"
"My mechanic is very upset."
"Oh."
"He won't tell me why, other than it has something to do with you and a piss soaked rag."

I detoured us away from the tent and into an open field off of the aerodrome and out of earshot of it.

Telling him what happened and my discovery, he looked as though he was ready to pounce on me.

"What are you going to do about it?" he asked.
"About what?"
"About my mechanic."
"I'm going to help him repair your Nieuport."

Forager fell silent for a moment, as if thinking it over.

"Damned right you are," and we shook hands after he released the pistol that was in, allowing it to fall into his pocket.

I hadn't noticed it until that very second, and it put a chill through me.

Everything is trying to kill me, I thought, and I haven't even gone to this stupid duel.

* On settings: Bringing the "lights" up to 20 really reduced the banding, but no matter what I did I got that weird blotchy pastel crap. I'm really looking forward to the "sky dither" setting that is coming up in one of the next patch/upgrades.

From Laser:
#3254808 - 04/01/11 08:37 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
cmirko Offline
cmirko  Offline

another great story smile

cheers mate

http://102nd.servebeer.com/Server/status.html
200+ User made Coop missions \:\)
SEOW and DCG COOP Campaigns
#3261264 - 04/06/11 04:07 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Cool story Dart. I am glad to be reading more of Martin's adventures. The night mission was a neat new twist. smile

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#3996668 - 08/16/14 03:37 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I realized the other day I never wrote up the Miller/Mueller duel, and the many updates have made the original recording useless. Indeed, I had to rework the mission file in order to get it to work.

Now that I have a set of glasses that make using a TIR something other than a headache inducing nightmare I've been flying the mission with varying results. Any interest in starting this AAR back up?

From Laser:
#3996919 - 08/17/14 04:01 AM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
YES!

PLEASE YES!!

A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!

dance

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3997170 - 08/17/14 09:20 PM Re: Martin gets a SPAD (RoF career) [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
21 September 1917
1500 Hours
II Wacher War Room
Occupied France

The "war room" was what the junior pilots referred to the two long tables in what was once the formal dining room of a large house that stood just off their aerodrome not because of the sector maps on the walls or the working telephone on a small table in the corner, but rather for the arguments the senior pilots and the staff occasionally shouted so loudly they could be heard outside. The Commander and the senior pilots were resolute in maintaining autonomy in determining their missions, while the staff and the Executive Officer were constantly forwarding requests from local, if very senior, ground force officers.

The tone was muted this afternoon, though, as Oberst Mueller stood next to his commander. A stack of papers, neatly pinned within the triangular folds, lay open before them.

"So this is correct?" Mueller asked.
"Confirmed through multiple sources," the Commander assured.
"This man looks nothing like the propaganda," he continued, dropping a photograph that had all the markings of one taken clandestinely. It showed a group of pilots lounging around a table stacked high with ammunition. It was a scene that was immediately recognizable to him; change the dress only slightly and it could have been of their Jasta on any given pause in sorties.
"Lafayette," the commander jabbed a finger to the left of the frame, "Rendell," he continued to the far right, "and Martin," he finished, circling the figure in the middle's head as he said so. "Rendell was killed shortly after this picture was taken, and as you can see, Lieutenant Lafayette is nursing an injury to his leg. That French pilot you captured confirmed as much."
"He cooperated?" Mueller asked, taken aback. Guillaume hadn't come quietly; Mueller had seriously considered shooting him at the time, regardless of the fact the Frenchman had a badly broken arm and cracked ribs.
"It's what he didn't say that mattered. Miller isn't even French, he's an American."
"An American?"
"We don't know why they're hiding it, but our reports say that he barely even speaks French and what he does speak is terrible."
"So why are you telling me this," Mueller asked, irritated, as he rubbed the red and pink line on his forearm that would surely leave an ugly scar, a souvenir from his last encounter with the subject of their conversation.
"Because you're going to kill him tomorrow."
"Such optimism," Mueller spoke before he could check himself. Though they were old friends from before the war, he was still junior by position.
"He is going to deliver himself to you at a time and place of our choosing."
"How?"
"You're going to challenge him. Drop a note over their aerodrome at dusk telling him to meet you over the front at a landmark - I suggest the ruined town north of their field - at a set altitude, and to bring just one other to serve as a second."

Mueller laughed bitterly.

"Nobody would fall for such a trap."
"An American would...." the commander grinned back.
"Who would he select to fly with him?"
"Most likely young Lafayette," was the response after some consideration, "as we know they are very close and always fly together."
"So much the better," Mueller said flatly, though the corners of his mouth began to turn up at the warming of the idea, "his leg could not be fully healed, and we know to turn left against him."

2115 hours
Aerodrome near Rheims

"Where is Lafayette?" I demanded after being handed the note by our Commander.
"Sergeant Major!" he yelled.
"In town, he left this afternoon in that car he thinks we don't know about," came the response from the other side of a canvas wall. In many units the senior enlisted was simply an arm of the Executive Officer, but in the 84th he was much more and took it on himself to know the whereabouts and dealings of everyone in his unit through his all pervasive web of junior NCO's.
"And there he stays," I decided.
"Agreed. And I suggest you go to join him. Twenty four hour rest granted."
"Oh, no," I disagreed, "I'm going to need a good night's sleep if I'm to kill this Hun tomorrow."
"Don't be silly," the commander guffawed, "it's an obvious trap."
"I don't care! Mueller has murdered too many of my friends to get a pass on this."
"So what do you propose?"
"I go alone, early, and see if it's a trap or not. If it is just him and one other, I'll kill him."
"And if it's twenty planes? The rest of the Escadrille is committed to other missions and can't reinforce you."
"Then I'll fly away from them and return to the aerodrome. Those tricycles can't pedal fast enough to catch me."
"So if you're outnumbered you'll disengage?"
"Of course I will," I promised with as sincere a voice as I could manage.

I walked out of the tent and back to my hangar, confident that he knew I would do no such thing.

From Laser:
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.