Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2923569 - 12/20/09 09:12 PM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Great - a film this good looking and it's a moral tale about how evil Americans are and how pure and decent primitive tribes are, with some nice jabs using the Democrat Party lines.

It's all a big myth. The American Indians weren't "noble" any more than any other group of people.

I'm kind of a big fan of Western culture. It's brought the world far more good than evil, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to live under any other, as my travels to the Third World (where people are "more in touch with the planet.") have shown me.

I'll take a pass.

No need to pay to have some movie maker tell me the military is full of psychopaths, all scientists are inherently good, Capitalism is evil, and humanity isn't worth two cents.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2923638 - 12/20/09 11:19 PM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Dart]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Another example of 'Nostalgie de la boue'

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#2923717 - 12/21/09 01:49 AM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
As I watched it I was thinking that I was seing pure genius at work. Incredibly imaginative.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#2923718 - 12/21/09 01:53 AM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Vertigo1]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
I saw Avatar Friday night. BIG thumbs up from me for the 3D. I was amazed. Cameron can somehow always pull off what a future military may look like. Although this "military" is hired guns, but the vehicles and tech seems totally perfect for the year 2145. The plot was definitely not that deep, but was a great bunch of fun.

Highly recommended.

Edit: Oh ya and I overlooked the political overtones and just went to have fun. As a gamer/simmer I can appreciate the work the art team put in and that team should be rewarded.

Jason

Last edited by 777 Studios - Jason; 12/21/09 01:54 AM.
#2924125 - 12/21/09 06:45 PM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Mace71]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I saw it in 3-D on Sat. It was better than I thought it would be. IT was, however, to me, Aliens meets Ferngully meets Matrix meets Dancing with Wolves. The plot was predictable..but the lady and I still enjoyed it anyway.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#2924127 - 12/21/09 06:48 PM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: bones]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
LOL just read a review of it...."Ewoks, I fu**ing hate Ewoks"

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#2924188 - 12/21/09 08:35 PM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
I saw Avatar Friday night. BIG thumbs up from me for the 3D. I was amazed. Cameron can somehow always pull off what a future military may look like. Although this "military" is hired guns, but the vehicles and tech seems totally perfect for the year 2145. The plot was definitely not that deep, but was a great bunch of fun.

Highly recommended.

Edit: Oh ya and I overlooked the political overtones and just went to have fun. As a gamer/simmer I can appreciate the work the art team put in and that team should be rewarded.

Jason

I am sure the year was 2154. Whe Jake was doing one of his video reports it had the date in the corner. smile

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#2924347 - 12/22/09 01:21 AM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Mace71]  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
Just came back from seeing it.

Like many have said it was predictable but good fun. The SFX are amazing. I easily forgot the whole thing was CGI and the Na'vi weren't real. The 3D effect, though, wasn't as good as I thought it would be. That doesn't mean it was bad, far from it, but there were times it didn't felt 3d at all, just plain old 2d. Yet on other moments it really shone and created an amazing feeling of depth and for that I think it's worth paying the extra money.

Bottom line is, the goal of any film is to entertain and Avatar did that and it did it very well. I can't wait for the sequels.

Click to reveal..
Word is Zoe Saldana (Neytiri) signed for at least 2 more films.

2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
#2924471 - 12/22/09 08:16 AM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Hmm, saw it tonight. Damn good entertainment...the previews do NOT give it justice! Really quite immersive, it appeared to me that everyone involved really put in a solid effort that paid off. At one point in the movie I was thinking "National Geographics: Exploring Pandora's Secrets"... and then they climbed the floating rocks for the warrior test.

Btw: "unobtainium"?!?! It sounded even lamer in the movie! But...is that material sort of anti-grav? Or was it only spinning on a magnetic field? I dont recall what exactly the mined material was actually good for, other than $20 mil per kilo in raw state. I guess that doesnt matter, just a plot device anyway.

I had no idea Ms. Weaver had such a big role in the movie, I'd assumed it was just a cameo...I dont know why but I've always liked that woman!

PS: where can I buy one of the utility helicopters that Ms. Furious flew?!? I want one of those!

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#2924474 - 12/22/09 08:25 AM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Dart]  
M@verick Offline
XBL: GrizzlyBear83 PSN: GrizzlyBear1983
M@verick  Offline
XBL: GrizzlyBear83 PSN: GrizzlyBear1983

Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted By: Dart
Great - a film this good looking and it's a moral tale about how evil Americans are and how pure and decent primitive tribes are, with some nice jabs using the Democrat Party lines.

It's all a big myth. The American Indians weren't "noble" any more than any other group of people.

I'm kind of a big fan of Western culture. It's brought the world far more good than evil, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to live under any other, as my travels to the Third World (where people are "more in touch with the planet.") have shown me.

I'll take a pass.

No need to pay to have some movie maker tell me the military is full of psychopaths, all scientists are inherently good, Capitalism is evil, and humanity isn't worth two cents.

Saw it last night in 3D Great and fun movie, will see it again.

This movie is a reflection of actual western history, our way of life (western world) has been built on the destruction of others, and still do; diamonds in africa, oil in the middle east, lack of respect of others, or war in general as weapons manufacturers (or any one else invested in war) thrive when there is conflict. We can go back a few hundred years: Spain killing of the aztec for the gold (see any similarities there to the movie?), Europeans coming to Africa kidnapping people and selling them as slaves and just general genocide of the african tribes cause they weren't christians or forcing them to christianity. The list goes on you know.

But what do I know Dart? I'm just a commie European, right? biggrin

Last edited by M@verick; 12/22/09 09:27 AM.

Xbox Live: GrizzlyBear83
PSN: GrizzlyBear1983
#2924803 - 12/22/09 06:01 PM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: M@verick]  
Softball Offline
Softball  Offline

San Diego, CA, USA
The helo aircraft in Avatar remind me of the Orcas from Command and Conquer.

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/10/9011/Orca1.1.png

--SOFTBALL
--RLGaming Portal

"The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst." - Harry Emerson Fosdick 1933
#2924847 - 12/22/09 06:38 PM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Softball]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
they reminded me of the one's coming in Halo Reach, just without the blades enclosed

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/haloreach/video/6242903/halo-reach-premiere-trailer?hd=1

#2925230 - 12/23/09 04:36 AM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Top Gun]  
digger52 Offline
digger52  Offline

As a cynical 57 year old , I can say I was amazed and loved the movie.

What facinates me is that

1/ Most of the people who post that dont like the concept havent actually seen the movie

2/ For thousands of years advanced civilisations have abused indigenous cultures if they got in the way of resources. Its not just a western issue so relax

3/ We can say we are more civilised now but in reality it has just moved to corporations rather than nations - i know I work for one

4/ In real life tell me what the outcome would be of

corporation pumps in billions of dollars to off world mining operation
no "governance" control over that operation
resource worth huge amounts of money
private security firm made up of ex marines ( would you use marines or royal marnies or special forces of any nation for peace keeping)manages the site security
indigenous population wants to continue their way of life, dont want money , or "schools" or beads or any other payoff
corporation will start losing huge amounts of money if cant access the resource

sounds like a very plausable script to me based on past and current practice.

Yes the message is a blunt instrument but I'd rather reflect on a movie that excites me because I can see what else the technology can now be used for - think of all the great science fiction novels written eg the forever war, Ringworld, Hyperion etc that would be amazing. Yes the scriptwriters would probably stuff half of them up but still.
Even more exciting would be Peter Jackson now making the Dambusters or the St nazaire raid ( can only hope)

This movie moved me from glass half empty to glass half full.

Finally I thought Sam worthington was great ( im biased) and sounded at times in accent like a young Mel Gibson

#2925238 - 12/23/09 05:04 AM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: digger52]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
With all the technology available why didn't they just defoliate the area with chemicals, follow on with napalm, and set up a huge firebase?

Assuming that the aliens have a biology similar to ours, why not just drop several canisters of blood agent or some other chemical weapon of short (non persistent) agent?

After all, no governance over their actions, and it would take a helluva lot less resources.

It's not just "advanced" cultures that wiped out others in search of resources. The Incas, Aztecs, Indonesian tribes, and even the much ballyhooed peaceful American Indians weren't above killing and/or subjugating any group that stood in their way. One doesn't have to go back much further than Columbus to find Europe hanging on a thread of annihilation from the Mongols (and escaping it as much by luck and internal politics than anything else). Heck, Islamic forces seiged Vienna at one point!

Western Civilization has no monopoly on such things, though one would never know it from the tales of Hollywood.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2925273 - 12/23/09 07:19 AM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Dart]  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Dart
With all the technology available why didn't they just defoliate the area with chemicals, follow on with napalm, and set up a huge firebase?

Assuming that the aliens have a biology similar to ours, why not just drop several canisters of blood agent or some other chemical weapon of short (non persistent) agent?

After all, no governance over their actions, and it would take a helluva lot less resources.

This is why:

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Resources_Development_Administration

Quote:
The Resources Development Administration, or RDA is the largest single non-governmental organization in human space. Its power is such that it outmatches most Earth governments in wealth, political influence, and military capability. The RDA has monopoly rights to all products shipped, derived, or developed from Pandora and any other off-Earth location. These rights were granted to the RDA in perpetuity by the Interplanetary Commerce Administration (ICA), with the stipulation that they abide by a treaty that prohibits weapons of mass destruction and limits military power in space.

I guessing that chemical and biological agents fall into that category.

2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
#2925277 - 12/23/09 07:50 AM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
digger52 Offline
digger52  Offline

Dart, obviously you missed my point 2/ ive highlighted what i said previosly

2/ For thousands of years advanced civilisations have abused indigenous cultures if they got in the way of resources. Its not just a western issue so relax

its a human issue not a western issue.

#2925278 - 12/23/09 08:05 AM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Rook_336th Offline
Rook_336th  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Saw the movie tonight in 3d. Bottom-line: must see in 3D. Really.

The movie plot itself? Not so inventive, it's Dances With Wolves meets The Last Samurai with a bit of Dune thrown in. But the experience in 3D is really the next level - this coming from a jaded movie buff.

Go see it, go see it now, but in 3D.

I keep playing video games, but the Star League keeps ignoring me...
#2925331 - 12/23/09 12:02 PM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Rook_336th]  
Grim_Death Offline
Old School
Grim_Death  Offline
Old School

Columbus GA

Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo
#2925371 - 12/23/09 01:21 PM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Grim_Death]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
why can't people just see a movie for entertainment instead of breaking it down into all bad plots against who ever. If it was so predictable, why go?

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#2925380 - 12/23/09 01:35 PM Re: Who has seen Avatar? [Re: Top Gun]  
Ultimatebadass Offline
Ultimatebadass  Offline

Poland, Lodz
I'm not a huge fan of cinemas so I havent't seen it yet but from what you guys and girls are saying (and from that review) it just seems like another holywood in-your-face special effects movie with a pretty generic/predictable story attached to it...

Might be fun to watch sometime, but I won't hold my breath until it comes out on BR/DVD wink

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.