Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2907883 - 11/25/09 04:09 PM Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Sacha is back, this time flying the Su-33.
One of the best stories Cat has produced yet in the "Sacha Chronicles".

http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_419a.html

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2908037 - 11/25/09 08:22 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: citizen guod]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Wow. Just wow. Exceptional story telling there Cat, I enjoyed every minute of it.

And Thomas, your pics added great punch to the article. Well done!

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2908112 - 11/25/09 10:18 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: 20mm]  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
This sort of happened all at once. I'm on a staycation this week and was all by myself the first three days of the week, and I thought a Thanksgiving story might be nice for our readers. Guod pitched the carrier idea to me years ago, but I never could think of an angle to work it in til now.

Max props to Thomas DW for the screens. I asked him for them on Monday and got them on Tuesday. Simplay outstanding turnaround, and great colour to my article. Even if I was still flying (I play a little Black Shark or IL-2 from time to time but not much) I couldn't get screens this good.

Hope everyone enjoys the article.

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat
#2908207 - 11/26/09 01:20 AM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: Cat]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
WooHoo!

Masterful as always!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2908239 - 11/26/09 02:47 AM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: Dart]  
Blackdog_kt Offline
Blackdog_kt  Offline

Interesting. I'll give you my objections first and the praises later, so it will end in a positive note wink

Ok, i can't blame you really, since you need certain cultural references and first-hand experience to know what Russians are like, but it seemed to me as if the story was narrated by an American character flying a Sukhoi and not a Russian. I don't know if you know any Russians, but knowing some myself the main character seems too unRussian to me biggrin
Nevertheless i've read some of the earlier ones too at a previous time and i can understand it's a fictional series, so i'm not going to make a big fuss over this. Especially since i can't fly a handful of my Russian friends to your house for an in-depth character analysis study rofl

On the positive side of things now. It was very well-written and the technical jargon gave it an air of authenticity. When reading any sort of action story, i like the dry, journalistic type of writing that seems like script for a movie action sequence and you got that right. This type of writing lends itself well to such stories and many notable writers have used it to good effect in detective, horror and sci-fi stories (Lovecraft and Poe come to mind).
It can also make a normal story stand out by setting a fast pace, like in Dan Brown's books for example. It's the closest you can get to sensory overload from reading a book instead of watching the scene unfold on a movie screen.
The screenshots were also good, although the F4s bear Turkish markings wink

#2908334 - 11/26/09 07:06 AM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: Blackdog_kt]  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
1) According to the established backstory, Sacha was born in New York City in the late 1970s. Her father, Dmitri, a highly placed VVS officer, is native Russian, but her mother was an American exchange student studying in Moscow when they met. During Sacha's tenure with the VVS she's served as an advisor in Ethiopia and has been an exhange pilot with two U.S. squadrons. That might explain some of her attitudes. Also, I'm a Southern gal born and bred. One tries to put one's self in her character's shoes...with varying degrees of success. And I do claim creative license.

I've always tried to write Sacha as close as I could to what I know of modern-day Russia; I've got friends from over there (Oleg Maddox, for one, as well as the Eagle Dynamics development team). I've always thought that we need more lead characters from places other than America, because we've got a lot of readers from other places.

2) We had to have the Turkish air force stand in for Iran-FC doesn't have an Iranian option.

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat
#2908402 - 11/26/09 12:15 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: Cat]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Great story Cat, thanks.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#2908455 - 11/26/09 02:29 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: Nixer]  
I_Flyby Offline
I_Flyby  Offline

Ohio, USA
What a great story! I think it was an excellent adventure in the best tradition of the fictional combat aviation genre. Who can complain? Well done, Cat! Bravo!! biggrin
Flyby out

The warrior creed: Crap happens to the other guy!
#2908466 - 11/26/09 02:38 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: I_Flyby]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Wow Cat. Again, VERY well done. Thomas, you too!

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#2908633 - 11/26/09 06:39 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: Cat]  
Blackdog_kt Offline
Blackdog_kt  Offline

Originally Posted By: Cat
1) According to the established backstory, Sacha was born in New York City in the late 1970s. Her father, Dmitri, a highly placed VVS officer, is native Russian, but her mother was an American exchange student studying in Moscow when they met. During Sacha's tenure with the VVS she's served as an advisor in Ethiopia and has been an exhange pilot with two U.S. squadrons. That might explain some of her attitudes. Also, I'm a Southern gal born and bred. One tries to put one's self in her character's shoes...with varying degrees of success. And I do claim creative license.

I've always tried to write Sacha as close as I could to what I know of modern-day Russia; I've got friends from over there (Oleg Maddox, for one, as well as the Eagle Dynamics development team). I've always thought that we need more lead characters from places other than America, because we've got a lot of readers from other places.

2) We had to have the Turkish air force stand in for Iran-FC doesn't have an Iranian option.

Miao, Cat

Yup, i'm not complaining really, just stating some observations. Thanks for the explanation wink

#2908720 - 11/26/09 09:58 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: Blackdog_kt]  
SpyDoc Offline
SpyDoc  Offline

Central USA
Great read for Thanksgiving Day!

I've ofter started reading most of the previous "Cat" chronicles, but usually end up cruising thru to the end because of time or whatever. Nothing against the writing, as I've always enjoyed them, but something would usually interrupt or take me away.

This one kept me pinned 'till the end. Just the right length for a holiday--

Thanks for an early Thanksgiving treat!

SpyDoc out cool

My new DigitalStormOnline system:
i5-2500K--8GB Ram--AMD Radeon 6950
Win7--MOMO--MS FFB2--TIR5--27.5" Hanns-G
#2908772 - 11/27/09 01:14 AM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: SpyDoc]  
Dozer Offline
Dozer  Offline

When it mentioned US/Russian cooperation to prevent a terrorist attack, I thought it was a commentary on The Controversial Level from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2! But, of course, it isn't :-)

(From what I've heard, in CoDMW2, the US learn of an imminent terror attack on Russia, but send someone to infiltrate the terror cell instead of just telling the Russian government. The US agent takes part in the attack, gets killed and discovered by the Russians, who are outraged that the US didn't warn them and then invade the US. Apparently.)

Dozer
#2908937 - 11/27/09 11:47 AM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: Dozer]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Excellent story, as always! smile

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#2909161 - 11/27/09 08:39 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: semmern]  
JAS39 Offline
JAS39  Offline

NYC
nice one! I've read all of them and printed them out.....sometimes feel that reading these are more interesting than flying FC itself! (not meant as a criticism of the sim, but you know what i mean)

Apple Macbook Pro Generation 10.1 (Summer 2012)
15", 2880x1800 IPS Samsung Display
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7-3615QM
8GB DDR3 Memory
1GB Nvidia GT-650M
256GB SSD
#2909744 - 11/29/09 12:09 AM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: JAS39]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Indeed..they lend a humanistic side to the sim. I enjoy them! smile

Great job..on both the narrative and the screenshots!

#2912043 - 12/02/09 10:44 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Dozer Offline
Dozer  Offline

The system requirements for reading the Cat chronicles are certainly met by my machine in any case... biggrin

Dozer
#2912568 - 12/03/09 05:05 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: Dozer]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Another great story. Thanks.

#2919911 - 12/14/09 06:49 PM Re: Feature: Sacha Returns! A Crane's Thanksgiving Pardon [Re: Dozer]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Originally Posted By: Dozer_EAF(T)
When it mentioned US/Russian cooperation to prevent a terrorist attack, I thought it was a commentary on The Controversial Level from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2! But, of course, it isn't :-)

(From what I've heard, in CoDMW2, the US learn of an imminent terror attack on Russia, but send someone to infiltrate the terror cell instead of just telling the Russian government. The US agent takes part in the attack, gets killed and discovered by the Russians, who are outraged that the US didn't warn them and then invade the US. Apparently.)

Click to reveal..
It's a bit different, General Shepard sets it up so the CIA op gets shot, after mowing down alot of civilians in an airport (and obtw, you participate in.), and you get "found out" and starts a Russian invasion of the US, but that's for the MW2 topic.

I always seem to be late on the ball with Sacha stories... but again very nice read!

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.