Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2895692 - 11/06/09 02:52 PM I'm Blipping Crazy  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
Hi all

As of late (since Dr.1) I can't seem to help myself. I am drawn to the rotaries and the blip switch. Learning how to use it to stable the plane, turn the plane, land the plane, etc. is so much fun.

One thing though, why can't I select mid position on the Bosch mag switch? I have figured out how to 'simulate' the M1 position by setting my throttle to mid position and just blip away with it like that. Works well, I guess.
What would be cool is that half or less throttle would move the switch to the M1 position and anything over half throttle would move it to M2. Blip switch could then go from off and on between the two. So, if my throttle was set to full, that would be on M2 and blip would be M2 or off. At half, it would be M1 or off.

Most of the time I have the throttle at full and use the blip switch to control the engine, along with mixture of course.

Anyway, I'm hooked and having a ball with this.

So, who else is blipping crazy and how do you use it?

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
FIA Formula One World Championship
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2895698 - 11/06/09 02:58 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: TailFlamer]  
womenfly2 Offline
womenfly2  Offline

NH
Using the Blip switch .... enter a left hand turn with the engine blipped off, as you start the turn, blip the engine on. The torque will pull you around quicker. Try both directions. Also, do not tighten a turn up will elevator, use the rudder.

By the way TF, its not a radial, its a rotary ..... but you know that, LOL!

Last edited by womenfly2; 11/06/09 02:59 PM.

Gateway FX7026 Quad core 2.5GHz, 7.1 Audio, 8 gig ram
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Bose Champion-5 sound system
Samsung 2493HM LCD 24" monitor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250 w/ 1 GB GDDR3.
Direct X10
In the process of building a full size J3 Piper Cub! .. the L-4 version.
#2895712 - 11/06/09 03:17 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: womenfly2]  
KaiserB Offline
KaiserB  Offline

One slight wrinkle I've found - I've set Blip as Shift+e but occasionally the game and my Cougar disagree slightly and it turns my engine off! There I was, frantically trying to restart my engine while plummeting and spiraling trying to stay out of the DVII's sights...

I think I might swap those two commands.

#2895726 - 11/06/09 03:29 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: womenfly2]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
Originally Posted By: womenfly2
Using the Blip switch .... enter a left hand turn with the engine blipped off, as you start the turn, blip the engine on. The torque will pull you around quicker. Try both directions. Also, do not tighten a turn up will elevator, use the rudder.

By the way TF, its not a radial, its a rotary ..... but you know that, LOL!

Yeah, I fixed that while you were posting, I guess. I noticed my mistake as I read over my post.

I really enjoy flying these planes, now that I have my setup working well. It is so cool how the engine will sling the plane around, then cut the ignition to stable it before it enters a spin. I no longer use the throttle. It is either closed, around half, or full. All other control of the engine I now do with the blip switch.

And the sound is just sooo sweet.

I have always loved the Dr.1, since I was a little boy. There was a model car made many years of the Red Baron hot rod. It came with a small triplane model too. Ever since then, I have had a thing for the plane. I even have a paint by numbers painting I did of the Dr.1 hanging on the wall. I painted that when I was about 10 years old.
Just getting to fly it in the game is worth every cent I have paid for it and the other planes I have.

#2895788 - 11/06/09 04:03 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: TailFlamer]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Kaiser, how do you fly and fight, using your stick and keyboard? Wouldn't you rather remap the blip button to your control stick?. Any buttons you use a lot are better on your CS. Especially if it's used during combat. You don't want to be taking your eyes off of the screen to hit a button on your keyboard.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#2895846 - 11/06/09 05:11 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: Pooch]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Put me down for a membership in the Blip Club.

Finally a way to control RPM's not only while in flight, but while landing!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2895866 - 11/06/09 05:36 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: Pooch]  
KaiserB Offline
KaiserB  Offline

Originally Posted By: Pooch
Kaiser, how do you fly and fight, using your stick and keyboard? Wouldn't you rather remap the blip button to your control stick?. Any buttons you use a lot are better on your CS. Especially if it's used during combat. You don't want to be taking your eyes off of the screen to hit a button on your keyboard.

Eh? The Cougar in question (which disagrees with the game) is of the programmable joystick and throttle variety biggrin

#2895909 - 11/06/09 06:15 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: KaiserB]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
LOL, his question is why you haven't programmed it to your stick!

Mine is the mouse button on my X52Pro's throttle, which is handy!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2895922 - 11/06/09 06:31 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: Dart]  
KaiserB Offline
KaiserB  Offline

Sorry - some inference is required.

1.Blip is assigned to Shift+e

2.I'm using a Cougar, and IT is causing the problem

No?

I've programmed Shift+e to buttons on my stick AND throttle.

But my stick is pretending to be a keyboard. And it sends "shift+e" when I press the button on the stick (or throttle).

But sometimes it doesn't, and I just get "e" and the engine turns off.

But I've switched them now, so it doesn't.

I'm boring myself now.

Last edited by KaiserB; 11/06/09 06:31 PM.
#2895938 - 11/06/09 06:50 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: KaiserB]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
It's been my experience that one should avoid trying to program multiple key presses in all HOTAS profiles (Cougar, Saitek, CH, etc.).

I at least wind up with all sorts of disasterous results!

From Laser:
#2895941 - 11/06/09 06:52 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: KaiserB]  
Hiccup Offline
Hiccup  Offline

Othello, Wa. USA
Kaiser, I use a CH product and found that some times I have to put the command HOLD with the assignment or else it would send the command to the key board like this: press "shift" release press "e" release instead of a "Shift+e". I'm not sure how the Cougar is set up but it may require some additional command as well. Just something to think about.

#2895946 - 11/06/09 06:55 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: Dart]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
Mine is the on the throttle of my x45. Button 5, I think it is. The lite one.
Works good for me there. Using it (and I use it a lot) doesn't hamper my flight control, being on the throttle.

Engine Start/Stop key_E
EngineBlipSwitch joy1_b5

#2895974 - 11/06/09 07:22 PM Re: I'm Blipping Crazy [Re: Hiccup]  
KaiserB Offline
KaiserB  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hiccup
Kaiser, I use a CH product and found that some times I have to put the command HOLD with the assignment or else it would send the command to the key board like this: press "shift" release press "e" release instead of a "Shift+e". I'm not sure how the Cougar is set up but it may require some additional command as well. Just something to think about.

Ditto - I set the macro thus

Quote:
Blip_Switch = {LSHF e}

and then assigned it to the S2 Switch (big red button on top of stick)

Quote:
BTN S2 /I
/O /H Blip_Switch

but when I hold the switch down it goes

Quote:
LSHF
E
LSHF
E
LSHF
E etc...

so instead of the macro I assigned key up/key down statements directly to the button

Quote:
BTN S2 /I
/O /P KD(LSHF e)
/R KU(e LSHF)

(notice how when I let go of the button it releases the 'e' key before the shift key.)

However, the problem is that sometimes when you're hammering the button like mad, and pressing other buttons as well, and the game is stuttering like crazy as it tends to in the heat of combat, SOMETIMES, it somehow sends just an 'e', and the engine switches off banghead

Easiest fix is of course, to change the 'hardly ever used' control (Engine On/Off) to Shift+e and assign the 'hammering the button like mad' control (Blip) to just plane [sic] old 'e'.

Works for me anyhow.

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.