Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2890608 - 10/29/09 11:43 PM Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment  
Talon Offline
Talon  Offline

Tampa, FL USA
I am having a real love hate relationship with OFP at the moment. I am in the heart of Bleeding Edge ready to make my assault on the depot and once again I have no ammo for my main weapon or the one I looted from a dead enemy. Down to my handgun and no supply boxes in sight.

Frankly, I don't like the idea of looting the dead for weapons and equipment. It also does not make sense to me in a military sim. I can dig it in Modern Warfare because of the nature of the game.

Anyway, as frustrated as I am with OFP, I can't seem to put it down as it has that old Ghost Recon feel to it. The immersion is top notch, yadda, yadda, yadda. Oh well, time to suck it up and "Reload Last Checkpoint" for what seems to be the the fracking... I lost count anyway.

--T

Support simulation in the classroom.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2890614 - 10/29/09 11:56 PM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: Talon]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I feel it brother... same stuff i felt...finally had to go online and co-op just to get through to the next mission.

#2890633 - 10/30/09 12:31 AM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: Talon]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
While I always ran out of ammo, I always had plenty from looted bodies that it was never much of an issue.

Worse come to worse, kill a friendly AI (not in your squad) and take their stuff.

The pistols are completely useless in this game thanks to the slow rate of fire and odd recoil animation when looking down the sights.

#2890636 - 10/30/09 12:40 AM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: Flogger23m]  
Aeronautico Offline
Aeronautico  Offline

Milan, Italy
Ahahah! Talking about realism... biggrin
Wait, hold on a minute: do you imply that's the untold story behind friendly fire in real world? eek

Airplanes are now built to carry a pilot and a dog in the cockpit: the pilot's job is
to feed the dog, and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches anything...

- Arlen Rens, Lockheed Martin test pilot
#2890808 - 10/30/09 11:22 AM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: Aeronautico]  
The Blackbird Offline
The Blackbird  Offline

Belgium
I recall that mission running out of ammo, being under fire, and trying to take them out with my pistol. Gave me that hilarious feeling of shooting plastic bullets.

Intelligent use of my AI-squadmates took 'em out. Then I looted a body (worked fine) and continued clearing. And all of that in hardcore mode, but that said, there have been missions I had to retry at least 20 times as well.

#2890832 - 10/30/09 12:21 PM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: The Blackbird]  
Talon Offline
Talon  Offline

Tampa, FL USA
Magnum:

Thanks for feeling my pain bro. Seriously, I want to do the multiplayer co-op, but I fear that my skills do not make me worthy. Maybe it's a result of my experience trying to play America's Army and realizing that most people play it like DOOM, or maybe I really do suck! Still, I may some day take the plunge.

BTW, I'm mainly a lone wolf gamer because of my time restrictions and committments. Will Arma2 give me a satisfying single-player experience ala OFP? I've been on the fence about getting it because I know multiplayer is where the true experience is.

Flogger:
Remind me not to be in the same combat environment as you, unless I'm a member of your squad of course. screwy biggrin

Blackbird:
I've tried the "Intelligent use of the AI" thing and that adds to my frustration as well. Sometimes my boys are Sierra Hotel and other times I'm left thinking, "What the 'ell were you bloody thinking, bonehead?" I've tried looting bodies but most times I can't even find the darn corpses. I see the enemy drop, get to the spot and then ...WTF??? I guess they have that new state of the art camo I read about in Popular Science.

Still, I can't put the game down, sooo off I go for more punishment...

#2890857 - 10/30/09 01:09 PM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: Talon]  
The Blackbird Offline
The Blackbird  Offline

Belgium
Talon, if you think OFP:DR single player is frustrating, you obviously haven't tried Arma 2 on that. My advice: don't smile Arma 2 is great, but its single player campaign is full of bugs. Compared to that, OFP:DR is a dream come true, even with its bugs.

Just try the co-op feature. I've done it myself without any online experience with these kind of games, and I like it. Of course, you always have those elitest-of-the-elite thinking people that only want to work with the best, and leave the group if things don't work out right at the start, but that's a minority.

Myself, I've completed quite some missions in co-op, because it was almost hopeless to complete alone.

I'm always interested to join you online. I live in Belgium, GMT+1. You have to register in-game, then add friends. My game nickname is theblackbird.

Last edited by The Blackbird; 10/30/09 01:11 PM.
#2891120 - 10/30/09 06:13 PM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: The Blackbird]  
Bahger Offline
Bahger  Offline

LA, CA, USA
It's definitely an oddity, this sim, as the SP campaign seems to be optimised more for coop than it is for SP.

I am on mission 4 or 5, can't remember which, and I have not had an ammo crisis yet but have always assumed that when the AI calls out "body found, it's one of theirs", that's the cue to loot some ammo, as I'm sure that only a small proportion of dead Chinese remain on the map.

So far, I'm enjoying this. Something is missing, however, I'm just not sure what. I couldn't tolerate ArmA2's singleplayer campaign; regardless of the bugs, I couldn't stand the cut-scenes, scripting, bad voice-acting, clunky drama and above all the non-tactical nature of the thing, especially in an engine that can support tactical gameplay. I think, at the very least, OFP DR deserves a little more credit than it's been getting for its tactical mission design and gameplay.

Currently I'm stuck in a mission segment involving taking out a SAM site approachable up a hill with wooded cover on the flanks and some support from another AI fire team. I'm getting chewed up by the attack helo, or jammed between it and fairly large numbers of enemy infantry coming down the hill. It's frustrating but I think it's a tribute to the game that I feel these to be legitimate tactical problems with tactical solutions.

Last edited by Bahger; 10/30/09 06:15 PM.
#2891172 - 10/30/09 07:27 PM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: Bahger]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
I gave up until they put out some patches that hopefully fix some of the issues. Haven't tried coop yet, but hope to once I get a place and can set my pc up lol

#2891626 - 10/31/09 03:05 PM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: Bahger]  
Talon Offline
Talon  Offline

Tampa, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Bahger
Currently I'm stuck in a mission segment involving taking out a SAM site approachable up a hill with wooded cover on the flanks and some support from another AI fire team. I'm getting chewed up by the attack helo, or jammed between it and fairly large numbers of enemy infantry coming down the hill. It's frustrating but I think it's a tribute to the game that I feel these to be legitimate tactical problems with tactical solutions.

I think I know the mission you are on. I had some trouble with it previously until I started to apply some stealth. The main advice I have for you is to avoid the waypoints and go around the tiny village area. Stick to the wooded areas as much as possible. Track the helo, while on the move, and every time you hear a spot call, go prone - preferably in the woods or deep shrubs. Avoid the other built up area on the hill then flank to the far left, while keeping cover. Get in a good position and call in an arty strike to soften up the hill then hit hard to finish the job. Remember to keep your ROE to "hold fire" until you are ready to launch your attack.

That's how I managed the mission; good luck.

--T

#2892224 - 11/01/09 04:28 PM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: Talon]  
Pickled Offline
Pickled  Offline

Boston
In regards to looting bodies for ammo, I have found that often times the game performs dead-body removal before I have a chance to find or retrieve ammo. I really hate how this aspect is designed, I can somewhat forgive them for the small amount of entities in the game (80) but the quick removal of bodies just ruins the immersion in a sense by sterilizing the battlefield. I for one like to see my handy work smile

If the above is EGO core design then the only hope is a patch, but if it's in regard to HAVOC then body removal should be moddable. I remember BIA having the same issue until one modifies the HAVOC config.

#2892392 - 11/01/09 10:05 PM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: Pickled]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Originally Posted By: Pickled
In regards to looting bodies for ammo, I have found that often times the game performs dead-body removal before I have a chance to find or retrieve ammo. I really hate how this aspect is designed, I can somewhat forgive them for the small amount of entities in the game (80) but the quick removal of bodies just ruins the immersion in a sense by sterilizing the battlefield. I for one like to see my handy work smile

If the above is EGO core design then the only hope is a patch, but if it's in regard to HAVOC then body removal should be moddable. I remember BIA having the same issue until one modifies the HAVOC config.

yep, total immersion killer for me. Sometimes they disappear just a few seconds after they die, making looting almost pointless

#2892966 - 11/02/09 06:59 PM Re: Love Hate Relationship - Problems at the moment [Re: JoeyJoJo]  
Punisher5555 Offline
Punisher5555  Offline

Cleveland, Ohio
I just hate the grenade throwing. You really cannot throw them very far.

3 Samsung 27" LED Monitors powered by a Zotac 4GB 680GTX. Set at PCI Gen3. 5760 x 1080 resolution.
MSI z68a-gd80 (g3) motherboard
Ivy Bridge 3770k 3.5Ghz
32GB RAM (all .pbo's loaded into a 12GB RamDisk)
TrackIR4
zboard merc keyboard
Saitek X-52 stick/throttle/pedals
Logitech MOMO racing wheel/pedals
Razer Deathadder 3500 black mouse
Sony receiver for 5.1 surround sound. 5 speakers and powered sub-woofer.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.