Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2879558 - 10/14/09 01:39 PM Quickest way to get TrackIR setup in ROF?  
wickedpenguin Offline
wickedpenguin  Offline

Pensacola, FL
I'd stopped playing RoF. If you recall, I started up that "Survey" thread about Neoqb sending me an electronic survey asking why I hadn't played in so long.

Well, I just picked up a second-hand TrackIR 4. I've downloaded the newer TrackIR 5 software, tweaked it and it works great within DCS:Black Shark. Total game-changer.

I decided to give RoF another go and see if TrackIR made a difference. The experience was less than stellar. The first time I tried, the flight controls worked fine but the TrackIR wouldn't respond. Then, on the second try, my flight controls wouldn't work... but the TrackIR did. I just sat there like a fool in my N28, looking around, while my roulette opponent closed in and shot me to pieces. Frustrated, I just closed the game down and went on to do something else.

I'd like to give this another try, but I'm really so fed up I'm --this close-- to not investing yet another minute in this sim. And that'll be a shame, especially considering my lightened wallet.

Is there just a quick way to get this setup? I don't mean tweaking the TrackIR smoothness/dead zones. I mean, just to get it working as it should.

Last edited by wickedpenguin; 10/14/09 01:41 PM.

My Aviation and ATC blog: The Flying Penguin
My Music: Escape the Clouds
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2879575 - 10/14/09 02:01 PM Re: Quickest way to get TrackIR setup in ROF? [Re: wickedpenguin]  
Masaq Offline
T&T Admin
Masaq  Offline
T&T Admin

UK
First:
You are loading the TIR software *before* you load RoF, yes?

Second:
Double-check that none of your TIR control buttons (by default F7, F9 and F12) are bound to any RoF controls. I've bound my three TIR buttons to left arrow, down arrow and right arrow in the TIR profiler.

Done both of those?

#2879596 - 10/14/09 02:51 PM Re: Quickest way to get TrackIR setup in ROF? [Re: Masaq]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
It took ages to get TIR5 working properly for me penguin. If you sit down with it for a good few hours tweaking the curves then it can work out

TIR also stops working from time to time in Il-2, especially when people Alt-Tab out and back in again

The first time I tried, the flight controls worked fine but the TrackIR wouldn't respond. Then, on the second try, my flight controls wouldn't work... but the TrackIR did.

Make sure that you plug both stick and TIR into motherboard USB ports rather than USB hubs, so you can get the full 500mA specified from a USB port

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2879676 - 10/14/09 04:43 PM Re: Quickest way to get TrackIR setup in ROF? [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
HotTom Offline
HotTom  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Not long ago, I upgraded from TrackIR 3 (w/Vector) to TrackIR 5. Huge improvement!

But, I already had a profile I really liked (in several sims) so I just kept that and it works perfectly in RoF.

The only thing I changed for RoF was to move my hotkeys from the F buttons to the arrows (up is center, etc.). They were causing conflicts with RoF commands in the default settings. (Same thing Masaq recommends above; he's a brilliant fellow smile )

You MUST have TIR turned on BEFORE you start RoF or any sim.

As Ming said (I both comprehend and agree with Ming; there's a first! smile )if you alt tab out of the sim, TIR may stop working (and you can't alt tab out to turn TIR on after you've started the sim; it just won't work).

And, yes, plug it right into the computer (AFTER you've installed the software), not a USB hub.

With all that preamble, HERE'S WHAT I WOULD TRY FIRST: I would back track, get rid of the TIR 5 software, and try the last TrackIR 4 drivers so that your hardware and software are identical.

ALSO, check the list of supported games in TIR control panel (with TIR turned on). If Rise of Flight isn't on the list, you need to update the drivers software. It won't work properly if the game isn't on the supported games list.

I also would go on the TIR Forums, read the threads there and ask for help. They really are a good crowd over there. Finally, call Natural Point (better than emailing) and ask for help.

It took me all of 5 minutes to hook up my old TIR 3 (with TIR4 drivers) after I installed RoF and another 5 minutes to switch to TIR 5 (with TIR 5 drivers) when I upgraded.

Both worked immediately. In fact, they're about the only thing in RoF that does work properly.

I don't know if any of that will help but I hope so.

If you have it set on the Default Profile, it should be Plug and Play.

Finally, whining about RoF isn't getting you any extra points here. Hell, we're ALL whining about it smile

HT

Last edited by HotTom; 10/14/09 05:08 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers and Senior Moments

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!
#2879682 - 10/14/09 04:52 PM Re: Quickest way to get TrackIR setup in ROF? [Re: HotTom]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
if you alt tab out of the sim, TIR may stop working (and you can't alt tab out to turn TIR on after you've started the sim; it just won't work).

And, yes, plug it right into the computer (AFTER you've installed the software), not a USB hub

I also have to agree with these tips

Your turn Smile2

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2879775 - 10/14/09 07:04 PM Re: Quickest way to get TrackIR setup in ROF? [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
I have my TIR5 plugged into my Dell monitor USB port without issue, for troubleshooting anythings worth a try though smile

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#2880270 - 10/15/09 03:34 PM Re: Quickest way to get TrackIR setup in ROF? [Re: wickedpenguin]  
Ol_Grey_Beard Offline
Ol_Grey_Beard  Offline

Penguin, weren't you using Cachya with some success?

Dave

BOHICA

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.