Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#2870701 - 10/01/09 12:47 AM Re: . New Simpit build ***** [Re: PropNut]  
MudPuppy Offline
MudPuppy  Offline

Appalachian foothills in Virgi...
(Notes to self)....must double check my spelling before hitting the submit button...pull out Mike Powell's book and read that chapter on sound in a simpit...try to stay on topic and not hijack someone else's thread....

smile smile
Now back to PropNut and his cool looking simpit. This will give me time to grab another Shiner Bock.
D

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2871129 - 10/01/09 05:20 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: MudPuppy]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
I had no problem at all with the discussion on transducers, I found it helpful.

As a matter of fact, if anyone wants to discuss simpit related issues here I would be happy, as they often help me decide on how to do my own pit.

Nothing really to update yet, the new button layout on the dash is working very well. I used plexi as button panels with printed labels (white text with a black background)behind, and cutouts in the plywood to mount the panels. I then mounted blue cathode light bars under the hood. The blue ligh shines through the white text extremely well, giving my gauges and button panels excellent backlighting. I did, however, screw up a bit and had to redrill my holes a bit bigger, this resulted in blowouts in the plexi in several places (this is why there are no pictures yet) but I made several spares (just in case) and will, hopefully, have them replaced this weekend. I will then post pictures (when they are all purdied up);) I am also waiting on my extra toggles (momentary) and green buttons to arrive (and a Rotary switch!!...er....no idea what I am going to use this for but I wanted one, lol).

David

F/A-18C Hornet cockpit build project:

http://hornetpits.org/index.php?topic=15.0
#2873823 - 10/05/09 09:09 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: PropNut]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Updates updates updates:

The new instrument panel looks pretty good so far, with that in mind, in a few months I am going to trash it. Yep, trash it. As soon as I know what buttons I use often in Il-2 (which should coorespond with pretty much any WWII sim) I am going to redo the button layout for a more ergonomic layout. I really like the backlit panels while I am flying (I can see what I am pushing!! lol)

Here are a couple of views of the backlighting in action;

As you can see, the pit still needs a lot of work, side panels to complete (One will be filled with the landing gear controls, tail hook, wing fold, etc) the other will be for comms (eventually). You might notice many empty holes...yep...40 buttons was not enough biggrin I need another BU836X...I also want to add three trims, a pushpull engine mixture assemble and another pushpull for a radiator control..thats...let me see....carry the one, subtract 9, put it in a bag and shake it up....5 more axis!!! And me with only one left clear on the BU836X that I have now frown

On to more good stuff!

The Gunsight smile
I wanted something to hide the webcam that I use with FreeTrack so I built a fake reflector sight. What do you think?

The round window in the front allows the webcam a view of my pretty head (my wife says it is pretty!) I thought about putting an LED inside that shines up through another peice of plexi that has a bullseye painted on it (so it would reflect off the upper plexi) but I got to thinking that it would be awefully annoying after a while (not to mention giving me headaches).

Here is a picture of a real one to compare...yep, mine looks fake..but that was the point biggrin

Also, you might have noticed that the hood is installed, this is so the bright blue lights mounted in the engine compartment for the backlighting doesnt interupt my view (I am delicate).

Well, that is all for now, stay tuned to this same Bat Channel at the same Bat Time for further episodes of BatShine!

David

#2875868 - 10/08/09 07:01 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: PropNut]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Thats a bad@ss idea with the camera you came up with there. Might have to imitate that one in my build. My TrackIR camera is mounted on a big pc. of square tubing thats clamped to my mini pit. Sticks up and blocks my projector screen, but not that big a deal!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#2875876 - 10/08/09 07:13 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Thanks HHF, your thread on hacking the Saitek Aviator helped alot with my simpit build. You might use plastic rain gutter parts to build a housing for the TrackIR. I just ordered the TrackIR bundled with Arma2 (I thought, for 109.99 why not get the TrackIR 5?, Track IR 5 and Arma2 159.99 at gogamer.com. I was going to purchase Arma2 for 50.00 anyway).

#2876086 - 10/08/09 11:44 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: PropNut]  
propman Offline
propman  Offline

PropNut, awesome simpit. I am learning a lot from your build and I want to thank you for taking us on this journey. Please continue posting because class is in session.(I'm in the front row). I am putting together a FW190 and I need every tidbit of info I can get my hands on. BTW great job in hiding the webcam. You said you used Plexi for your instrument panel. What thickness did you use?

#2876096 - 10/08/09 11:56 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: propman]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Hi Propman, thanks for the...er...props biggrin

I used 1/6th plexi, most switches are made for thin panel installation so 1/6th works very well.

#2876418 - 10/09/09 02:18 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: PropNut]  
f15sim Offline
More projects than sense!
f15sim  Offline

Graham, WA
PropNut, if you want to solve your light switch problem, you can always install an X-10 module at the switch and then use a remote control to turn it off. smile

What's with the new "WH_" prefix on your nick?

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - the Me-109F/X Project
#2876427 - 10/09/09 02:26 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: f15sim]  
MudPuppy Offline
MudPuppy  Offline

Appalachian foothills in Virgi...
The Simpit is looking great and an extra "hoot-n-holler" for the inventive idea of hiding your webcam in the gunsight construct! Now with colder weather making its way towards Michigan, you may be spending some more time in the pilots seat, eh?

I'm hoping for an a heavy frost soon so i can stop the outside work and get back to the fun stuff inside the house.
Have a good weekend and thanks for the update.
Derek

#2876443 - 10/09/09 02:39 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: MudPuppy]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Gene, I was going for a low-tech solution wink
By the way, I found a great group of guys to fly/fight with. War-Hawks.net, they have scheduled campaign based coop missions in Rise of Flight, Il-2 (not so often), DCS-Blackshark, and Arma2. Heavy use of Teamspeak is the norm (which means we sit around shooting the breeze more often than playing, but it is fun none the less). Great bunch of guys and fun to talk to.

Derek, as always, thanks for participating. I am pretty happy with the reflector sight solution to the camera issue. The only downside is that the plexi 'sight' is a bit annoying when I have to actually look through it during manouvers, lol. I cannot move it down as it would then be in the way of a gauge.

As far as in-doors v. out-doors...I have been obsessing so much on the pit that I have not been doing any outdoor activities so I missed the wonderful fall that we had (gone now with cold, wet weather). Oh well, that is what spring is for wink

#2876518 - 10/09/09 03:58 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: f15sim]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Update: I purchased TrackIR5 because it was bundled with Arma2 (which I was going to pay 50.00 for anyway)for 159.99 from GoGamer.com. I can now say without reservations; that if it was not for the fact that Arma2 (and a couple of other high end sims) only supports TrackIR for headtracking, TrackIR would NOT be worth the money compared to Freetrack (which I also use). This is such a huge dissapointment, I just played several rounds of Rise of Flight and Il-2, and in both I could see little to no difference (I actually think my Freetrack system is slightly better than TrackIR in Rise of Flight but that might be due to the tweaking that I have done to Freetrack). Freetrack will stay in my simpit unless future games absolutely will not support it, and the TrackIR will be on my desktop for Arma2. What a waste of money....sheesh.

Ok, rant over.

Last edited by WH_PropNut; 10/09/09 03:59 PM.

#2879127 - 10/13/09 07:59 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: PropNut]  
propman Offline
propman  Offline

Hey Propnut sorry to hear that you're not happy with TrackIR5. I have been wondering about purchasing one but now I'm not so sure. I take it you're satisfied with Freetrack? What is all involved with Freetrack?

#2879188 - 10/13/09 09:26 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: propman]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Hi Propman,

I did not say that I was unhappy with TrackIR (hardware or software, they are both very nice) but rather with the amount of money spent on a product that, to my admittedly untrained eye, no improvement in gameplay. I do believe, however, that the future of headtracking will see more and more companies excluding Freetracks from use...so it might be best to join the masses and buy TrackIR if you can afford it.

Otherwise PM me and I will walk you through building a Freetrack system.

#2917561 - 12/10/09 08:41 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: PropNut]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Quick update,

Nope, I have not fallen off the edge of the world. The semester is almost over and I now have some time to once again waste on my simpit (oh, you did not just say waste did you?!!). Ok, maybe not waste, it is a great deal of fun and satisfaction making new doodads and geegaws for my pit.

The other day I replaced my old projector (Infocus X1) which had a max res of 1024x768) with a new Dell 2300MB with a max res of 1640x1080. It is a full 1080p system! Extra bright PC interface.

More later.

#2917592 - 12/10/09 09:40 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: PropNut]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Bet your loving the higher res on the new proj. mine maxs out at 1024x768 and I'm looking to upgrade myself, more for movies than anything though. Great to hear your moving along!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#2917661 - 12/10/09 11:27 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
HHF, you gotta believe it. What I really like is how bright this one is compared to my old one. The Infocus is excellent for movies (max 720i) but for use with the PC it was pretty dim. The Dell has a PC setting which is as bright as my desktop LCD monitors. The higher res makes the picture very sharp also.

Yah know what the best part of this new projector is? It was free, yep free. My sister is moving back to Alaska, she was going to throw it away because she had lost all the cords and the remote (you need to know my sister to understand). Works perfect for me.

I need to take pictures of a few other minor improvements that I have made, these include rollers on the front of the chair to improve movement, and some wiring issues that I fixed. I still need to pick up another Leo Bodnar board so I can add trims, mixtures, and radiator adjustments.

More later...

#2937970 - 01/12/10 03:26 PM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: PropNut]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Added another lever quadrant yesterday, for the radiator and mixture settings. I used the second throttle port and the unused port on the bodnar unit, this used up all eight axis. I still need three axis for trims...not sure I can find a reason to pay 81.00 for another bodnar unit for to only use three axis..might be better to just use the Saitek Aviator guts that I have in a drawer, they do not work as well (or as easy) but it should be fine for trims and my second throttle. I need to post pictures of the second lever unit. I used rubber O-rings and made grooved cogs out of a garolite type material that I have in a 6'x4' sheet. They attatched to the levers and the pots, the pots a mounted below the levers. The system works very well, and mades for a small footprint unit.

Right now I am having PC issues, either my PSU is too small (could very well be true with the amp draw that I am asking a 480w unit to do) or my CPU is overheating due to poor ventilation. Several times my PC has simlpy turned off (no warning) during Rise of Flight. It could be the GPU pulling huge amounts of wattage when the graphics get intense or it could be the CPU overheating because of the same issue. I have CoreTemp running (and logging) and will attempt to replicate the problem. The log will from Coretemp (and another from RivaTuner for the GPU) will tell me if it is a heat issue. I have a new Dell 750w PSU from Ebay (16.00) but it needs to be adapted for use in a non dell motherboard. MORE TO PLAY WITH!!! biggrin

#2938422 - 01/13/10 02:44 AM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: PropNut]  
f15sim Offline
f15sim  Offline

Graham, WA
If the CPU overheats, you should get an alarm tone from the motherboard - unless you've turned it off or the board doesn't have that feature on by default. Sounds like you're gagging that poor power supply.

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - the Me-109F/X Project
#2938426 - 01/13/10 03:08 AM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: f15sim]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Could be, I had troubles with the motherboard way back when as well. This is why it was in a closet and availible for the simpit. All the parts are old used bits and bobs, oh well. I will figure it out eventually. I might just bag the simpit and build some pull out platforms for the office (see pictures of my office space in my current pc link in the sig). Ideas have been running through my head. THis would allow me to use my X52 as well as the leo bodnar unit to do all the axis/button that I could wish for!

#2946093 - 01/24/10 06:35 AM Re: . New Simpit build [Re: PropNut]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Installed the Dell 750W PSU (after a bit of rewiring to make all the plugs match) and it seems to be working well. Several hours this week in Il-2 and Rise of Flight with no hickups.

Leo Bodnar recieved my order for another of his excellent controller boards. This will allow me to install the second throttle quadant (for Radiator, mixuture, etc) and add buttons. I am going to do a toggle panel ala Gene's amazing build (if you do not mind my borrowing your ideas), and completely redo the instrument panel. I am going to use Plexi instead of plywood. This will allow back lighting where ever I wish to place it, no LEDs needed. I am also going to reduce the number of fake gauges (although someday I want to replace them with working gauges) to have more room for buttons, etc. So many buttons...so little room! lol

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.