Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2869509 - 09/29/09 01:42 PM Re: I need to Quit Smoking [Re: SpongeBob55]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Before you start using patches, it's best to cut down the number of cigarettes you smoke. You'll find that most cigarettes you only smoke because you haven't got anything else to do: they are the easiest to get rid of. Try this for a couple of weeks and you'll probably be smoking no more than about 6 cigarettes per day (the ones you "need"). Then it's time for patches.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2869512 - 09/29/09 01:44 PM Re: I need to Quit Smoking [Re: Johan217]  
SpongeBob55 Offline
SpongeBob55  Offline

Missouri
If I had only smoked 6 a day I would not have worried about quitting. I really enjoyed smoking.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant
#2869602 - 09/29/09 03:41 PM Re: I need to Quit Smoking [Re: SpongeBob55]  
nibbio Offline
nibbio  Offline

Italy
Been smoking for 34 years, ever since I was 15, been smoking even through cancer treatment 4 years ago; used to sneak in the hospital courtyard trailing all my tubes and drip bottles to roll a quick one biggrin
I had to quit in August (doctors' orders, they don't want me to spoil their survival statistics smile ) and did it almost effortlessly, just by reading the book by this guy called Allen Carr (who BTW died of lung cancer few years ago), see http://www.allencarr.com

My running has much improved now and I definitely kick ass on a road bike, my resting heartbeat has dropped from 60 to 48bpm... Sometimes I miss my rollies, but I manage on a couple of pieces of nicotine gum a day. I guess I'll lose the gum too in a couple of months. Do read the book, follow the instructions carefully, and I bet you too will realise that there's no real pleasure in smoking and will find out that kicking the stupid habit is much easier than you thought.
Ciao,
nibbio
N.O.P.E. Not Another Puff Ever

Last edited by nibbio; 09/29/09 03:42 PM.
#2869636 - 09/29/09 04:11 PM Re: I need to Quit Smoking [Re: Alan Smithee]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Alan Smithee
Cold turkey. You either want to quit or you don't. If you do - and I mean, really do - then you will. All the other crap is an emotional crutch that you use as a fallback to justify your own lack of willpower. "Oh, I couldn't quit because the patch is no good" etc. Utter bollocks.

That is utter #%&*$# IMHO. Everyone is different and if you have ever gone to an AA or other addiction meeting you know that stopping an addiction is different for everyone. Some people (including myself) can stop cold turkey and not be affected at all while others it can be as hard to stop an addiction as it would be to stop breathing.

Noone has the right to judge anyone else on an addiction unless you have been in a similar situation. If you can just stop cold turkey then you did not have an addiction. I had a friend tell me once that if I truly wanted to know what it was like to kick an addiction I should stop eating for 7 days and only drink water. Then I should cook my favorite meal and if I can still no partake of any food even with my favorite food right in front of me then I will know how hard it is.

Last edited by Master; 09/29/09 04:14 PM.
#2869639 - 09/29/09 04:17 PM Re: I need to Quit Smoking [Re: nibbio]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Johan is on the right track; a long time ago a very wise NCO told me there are three types of cigarettes we smoke:

Cigarettes we need: these are the hardest to not smoke, as they're directly tied to addiction. Tobacco/nicotine aid in digestion, so us smokers get our bodies to ask for it after eating as an example. I can actually tell time if I don't smoke in the morning; at 1330 my hair feels like its standing on end!

Cigarettes we want: Mildly tied to addiction, these are the precursors to the cigarettes we need, but are usually tied to self-reward rather than chemical dependance. Before starting a project that requires a lot of problem solving, I usually walk around smoking a cigarette and think it through, as a personal example. It doesn't "help me think" so much as put me in a comfort zone; the problem can't be that hard to solve if I'm getting a cookie just for thinking about it!

Cigarettes we smoke "just because:" The bulk of all cigarettes we smoke, to be honest. I found that my morning cigarette is a rote habit that is part of dropping my son off to work more than a cigarette I want or need. Indeed, I noticed that I light it up at the very same stop light every morning, like clockwork. These are also the "second cigarette" after the first on a break, the "I'm bored waiting around," and the reflexive smoke lit because someone else lit one up.

By asking myself which cigarette I'm smoking I've cut down to between three and six cigarettes a day.

The other thing I've done is to not carry cigarettes with me at all times. They were in my desk drawer at work, and I'd grab one on the way downstairs; now that I'm at home full time, I keep them in a drawer in the living room. In the truck they're in the glove box.

And I don't smoke indoors. The act of having to get up and go either outside or into the garage (when the weather isn't agreeable) makes it a more conscious act.

The other word of advice is NOT to tell your co-workers or others that you're trying to quit. People will try to "help" you quit, which has the opposite effect. And it puts added pressure on you.

Personally, I'm with Vulgarity. Then again, no history of cancer in the males of the family; ovarian cancer strikes down the women mercilessly, but the men get off scot-free. Not counting those men that develop cancer after the age of 85, that is.

[edit]

I've heard that the level of addiction can be tied to when the first smoke is lit. The sooner after waking, the higher the chemical dependance. I've known folks that can literally wake up and light one up, which is really weird to me. I've tried it and it made me feel out of sorts. I usually wait an hour or two before my first one, so I guess if I chose to quit it wouldn't be as much a function of chemical addiction so much as a mental one. Not that it would make it any easier.

Last edited by Dart; 09/29/09 04:23 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2869661 - 09/29/09 04:56 PM Re: I need to Quit Smoking [Re: Dart]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
I too did not start smoking in my teens as most do, but started when in the service when I was 24.

Thirty years later I was up to 2 to 3 packs a day. Then about 10 years ago, I quit cold turkey. It helped that I had a bad head cold at the time, which makes smoking less enjoyable anyway.

The only downside was that I put on about 35 lbs. because I would snack or eat something when I had a desire for a smoke. Only in the last year have I manage to drop about 20lbs of that off.

I still miss smoking though. I don't think one who smoked for very long ever does.

Good luck!

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#2869708 - 09/29/09 06:08 PM Re: I need to Quit Smoking [Re: Forward Observer]  
Col Kurtz Offline
Col Kurtz  Offline

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Tried cold turkey a few times and it never lasted, it was just too ambitious.

I started using patches in April and they did the job for me, though for the first few weeks I became quite miserable and bad tempered. 3 weeks 24mg, 6 weeks 14mg and 3 weeks 7mg.

Don't accept or ask for a cigerette under any circumstances, if you do then you've blown it.

Cigerettes... f*ck em

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.