Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2863672 - 09/19/09 09:01 PM LAN Problem  
Kraszus Offline
Kraszus  Offline

Ireland
Hi all. I have a home network comprising of 2 desktops and a laptop. I have set up a dedicated server on the laptop. On desktop 1 I can connect to the server but when I also try to log in desktop 2 I just get 'Sending Info Request'. The same happens if I reverse desktop 1 and 2.

Both desktops can log into AMRAAM's server at the same time. I have all 3 machines using essentially the same ini with cgs=1.

In short, only 1 computer can log into my dedicated server at any one time. Am i doing something wrong..or missing something?

#2863682 - 09/19/09 09:12 PM Re: LAN Problem [Re: Kraszus]  
BammerVB Offline
BammerVB  Offline

1. Ensure you can ping the server from each client.
2. Ck .ini and ensure you have players # set to something like 10
3. Re-start all computers
4. Turn off all firewalls for testing purposes.
5. Set your server to DMZ host for testing purposes.

Before everyone gets a willy on their nilly about DMZ hosts and lowering firewalls, its just for testing. If you think you are going to get hacked in the time it takes you to test, you better go buy a lottery ticket as you have a better chance of winning the lottery than a hacker getting your precious EECH files during that 120secs.

If you pass the connection test, you will have to forward some ports. As I remember, I had to do exactly that. Also advised is to set dedicated IP's for your lan.

In short, you need to qualify your LAN first, then the game second. EECH has always been finicky when connecting MP in either LAN of internet.
My advice is just basic network troubleshootin.

Good luck and make sure to report back so someone else can learn from your experiance.

Bammer

Last edited by BammerVB; 09/19/09 09:14 PM.
#2863693 - 09/19/09 09:35 PM Re: LAN Problem [Re: BammerVB]  
Kraszus Offline
Kraszus  Offline

Ireland
Thanks Bammer - I've tried all that. I've even tried installing Hamachi on all 3 computers and trying that way to no avail.

I'm guessing because EECH server expects an internet connection (as opposed to a LAN connection) it sees my external IP address (not my 192.168.1.3 / 192.168.1.4 internal addresses) and somehow sees the second connection as a conflict?

[EDIT]
I should say I am running v1.12.2

Last edited by Kraszus; 09/19/09 09:38 PM.
#2863703 - 09/19/09 09:46 PM Re: LAN Problem [Re: Kraszus]  
BammerVB Offline
BammerVB  Offline

No conflict. EECH doesnt "see" or expect anything in the way of MP.
Turn off dwash as well if you havnt already. That mod was created from areas of the MP code that was imbedded into the game way back when and causes quite a bit of issues unless it has been corrected in the past few years..
I've had 6 clients from my home lan on EECH before so it will take it.
I think the clients will use the internet address and not the lan addy. You are using the in game mp browser to connect arnt you? Not the MP window that changes color. You can also try adding the numbers right into the ini. There should be a line there.
This ia a LAN issue and not a game issue. It was only after opeing up the port ranges on my routher, that EECH uses, that I eliminated connection issues.

Last edited by BammerVB; 09/19/09 09:51 PM.
#2863714 - 09/19/09 10:02 PM Re: LAN Problem [Re: BammerVB]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Make sure to set cgs=1 in eech.ini.

#2863728 - 09/19/09 10:28 PM Re: LAN Problem [Re: arneh]  
Kraszus Offline
Kraszus  Offline

Ireland
Thanks Arneh - I already have that done. Strange that I can see the server and the campaign on desktop 2 but wont let me join :/

#2863730 - 09/19/09 10:32 PM Re: LAN Problem [Re: Kraszus]  
BammerVB Offline
BammerVB  Offline

What do you mean you can see it? How are you seeing it? What screen?

#2863751 - 09/19/09 11:13 PM Re: LAN Problem [Re: BammerVB]  
Kraszus Offline
Kraszus  Offline

Ireland
Laptop:- running dedicated server.

Desktop 1:-In multiplayer options, I have Internt / IP set to my external IP address. I can see my server on http://hoxdna.org/eech/. Then, when I hit combat - campaign - multiplayer, I can see my server. (I can also see Amraam's server which is strange as I have the IP set to my own address, but no matter). I can click on my server, campaign on either one of my desktops and then join the game.

Desktop 2:- I can also see my server / campaign on combat - campaign - multiplayer. When I click to join, it just says "Sending Info Request" and stays like that.

I can reverse the situation with the desktops - ie, whichever desktop joins first gets in, the other doesn't.

(Incidentally, I have also tried leaving the Internet / IP field blank on Multiplayer options but get the exact same results)

Last edited by Kraszus; 09/19/09 11:23 PM.
#2863765 - 09/19/09 11:54 PM Re: LAN Problem [Re: Kraszus]  
BammerVB Offline
BammerVB  Offline

I am pretty sure that your ports are not opening correctly on your router. Possibly the router is only allowing one ip address through. Can you look at those and confirm that the correct ports are open and allowed by the router? and what kind of router?

This just doesnt feel like a game issue. I've never seen EECH act this way due to any ini setting. or patch bug

Last edited by BammerVB; 09/20/09 12:01 AM.
#2863767 - 09/20/09 12:03 AM Re: LAN Problem [Re: BammerVB]  
Kraszus Offline
Kraszus  Offline

Ireland
Hi Bammer. I have opened the ports for one desktop (192.168.1.3) but when I try to open the same ports for the second desktop (192.168.1.2) it tells me it can't as they are duplicate ports.

My router is a Echolife HG520b.

Last edited by Kraszus; 09/20/09 12:03 AM.
#2863770 - 09/20/09 12:08 AM Re: LAN Problem [Re: Kraszus]  
BammerVB Offline
BammerVB  Offline

Ah, yes, I have seen this on another router. I beleive you have discovered your problem. Did you try DMZ host for the server?
and then restart the router? unplug for one minute and let it reset.
BTW, is the server on a computer that has important data? You can always run the EECH server on gaming computer with a dedicated IP that is always a DMZ host. EECH doesnt need much of a computer to run the server. Can be an older Athlon 1.8ghz with 512mb 3200 ram if necessary. I've run it on even less of computer.
Have an old one laying around?

If all else fails, call the router tech support line and ask for specific instructions on how to open the port ranges for all the computers on your network. I use a linksys so I am only familiar with that type. The solution we used on another router was DMZ host.

Last edited by BammerVB; 09/20/09 12:16 AM.
#2863776 - 09/20/09 12:14 AM Re: LAN Problem [Re: BammerVB]  
Kraszus Offline
Kraszus  Offline

Ireland
I've tried this to no avail:

NAT-DMZ
DMZ - Enabled
DMZ Host IP Address: 192.168.1.7 (Laptop - Dedicated Server)

I've also tried disabling DMZ altogether.

Been at this for hours now, trying different configurations on my router, on TCP/IP settings, on Hamachi :P

#2863781 - 09/20/09 12:21 AM Re: LAN Problem [Re: Kraszus]  
BammerVB Offline
BammerVB  Offline

disabling DMZ surely will not work as it defeats the purpose of forwarding. Without sitting right there with you I am afraid I must defer to the tech support folks for your router. I am 96% sure that is where your issue is..

OR, google your issue along with the router number and see if other guys have found out how to open the ports for other games. Sry,,

did you try assiging a dedicated IP to the server? and then setting that as DMZ? you know that the router may change the IP number after you assign a DMZ host. Called DHCP.
You have to be SURE that the IP is the one that is assigned DMZ

Last edited by BammerVB; 09/20/09 12:24 AM.
#2863786 - 09/20/09 12:25 AM Re: LAN Problem [Re: BammerVB]  
Kraszus Offline
Kraszus  Offline

Ireland
Aye...I have set all of my PCs to use static IPs. Thanks for all your help anyway Bammer smile

#2863789 - 09/20/09 12:27 AM Re: LAN Problem [Re: Kraszus]  
BammerVB Offline
BammerVB  Offline

sry friend, but you are on to it. You'll get it mate. Its a router issue. Just need to know how to get those ports open..

#2863792 - 09/20/09 12:34 AM Re: LAN Problem [Re: BammerVB]  
BammerVB Offline
BammerVB  Offline

Last edited by BammerVB; 09/20/09 12:36 AM.
#2863836 - 09/20/09 02:50 AM Re: LAN Problem [Re: BammerVB]  
Colonel_Kurtz Offline
Colonel_Kurtz  Offline

Australia
1. If your running a software firewall you must all "microsoftdirectplayhelper" to pass through as well.

2. Have permanently asigned addresses to all your network cards?

3. Make sure that in your firewall rules that you dont have the DX7 ports assigned to two PC's others wise one will hog the port.

EG: I found with my netgear router that I cant have two rules regarding the EECH ports. That is if I offer up 2300-2400 to both 192.168.0.2 as well as 192.168.0.3 then its first in first served and one pc is locked out.

#2866317 - 09/24/09 02:18 AM Re: LAN Problem [Re: Colonel_Kurtz]  
AMRAAM Offline
AMRAAM  Offline

Auckland, New Zealand
Hi Kraszus,

Did you get this sorted?

I would suggest that for the LAN, all your PCs that you want to connect to your server, dedicated or not, will use the LAN IP address of the server, NOT the WAN IP Address.

In my setup, I connect to my dedicated server with other PCs on my LAN fine, (we all use the Local IP address of the server) while people on the internet connect to my WAN IP address.
[which connects to my "router/modem" which in turn passes the request onto the Dedicated PC on the LAN]

If you try and connect to your WAN/external IP Address, then your packets will go to the "outside" of your Modem/router, and will (most likely) not be able to get back into your network, so you will never recieve a reply from your server and so never make a connection.

If you still cannot connect when using the LAN IP address of your server, then there may be a firewall on your PC that is not allowing the correct ports/.exe through.

you can confirm that the connect between a LAN PC and the server is working by using the command telnet. (sorry if this is to step by step for you).
(I assume you have XP by the way, if you have Vista you will not be able to do this unless you install the Telnet Client (which is a windows component you have to add)).
Click Start
Click Run
Type cmd
Press Enter
Type telnet x.x.x.x 2300
(Where x.x.x.x is the LAN IP of your Server (for example 192.168.1.4) which must be running EECH for this to work)
You should get a blank black screen, this means that your connection is "working"
Close the Cmd window

This proves that on the main port your PCs can see the server on the LAN
If the Telnet command just says "connecting to..." and never connects then you can not connect to the main port required and you probalby have a firewall issue.

Also, if people from the outside world can connect to your server, then there is nothing wrong with its setup, as the server can not tell the difference between a LAN and WAN connection.

Sorry if I am covering ground you have already been over.

Last edited by AMRAAM; 09/24/09 02:34 AM.

"Don't worry soldier, they can stitch those back on"

[Ord.] General AMRAAM, Commander in Chief
#2866328 - 09/24/09 02:57 AM Re: LAN Problem [Re: AMRAAM]  
AMRAAM Offline
AMRAAM  Offline

Auckland, New Zealand
Okay, I have re-read the whole post, and I think that the issues is that you are using the wrong IP Address to connect to your server.

Basicially you should be connecting from the LAN To the LAN IP address of your server. If you go to the exteral IP address of the server (which is actually youw WAN IP address) then you will need to port forward the required ports to the server, and this will prevent multiple PCs from using the same ports as the rules will be created for one or the other (as Colonel Kurtz has found).

The "correct" setup is as follows. (I put correct in Brackets, because this is EECH and things are difficult, and don't always work. However this setup works for me)

Your Server should have a static IP address on your LAN. (Lets call this 192.168.1.4) There should be rules in your modem which forward the required ports 2300-2400 TCP+UDP and 47624 TCP+UDP to the server (192.168.1.4). To get help with this, look up your modem/router on www.portforward.com and follow their instructions. (Aside from testing purposes, unless your server has a DECENT firewall on it, then you should not DMZ it permanently, this is leaving it open to expliotation from the web, however BammerVB is right in that doing it for tesing is fine, your chances of being attacked in a short period of time is middling to none.)

The server should be set in the eech.ini file to report into http://hoxdna.org/eech/ so that other people can see your server (if you want internet people to connect to it).

Your local PCs can have static IP adresses or not, this is not so much of an issue as long as you are connecting to a Server on the LAN.

Start up your EECH and go to Options, Multiplayer and select Internet TCP/IP and delete any IP addresses there.

you should now be able to try combat, campaign, and then -multiplayer- and you should be able to see your server and connect to it. I have only ever got this "automatic" connection to work for servers on the LAN. If your server name does not appear here, then go back to the multi-player settings in eech and put in the LAN IP address of the server, (in this example 192.168.1.4) this should make the connection work.

As long as you make connectiond on the LAN IP address of the server, then multiple PCs should be able to connect to the LAN server fine.
(If there is some firewall software on the server that is "learning connections from incomming PCs that might muck with multiple connections from different PCs. so it might pay to remove/disable it from the server for testing at least).

Hopefully this all makes sense...and helps.

In short, when on a LAN, use the LAN IP address of the server.

(PS, these are for accessing a Server on the LAN, its a slightly different story to access a server on the internet.)
(PPS, If you set up the Port Forwarding rules for 2300-2400 and 47624 to point to a server inside your network (On your LAN) then you will not be able to connect to a EECH server outside your LAN (on the internet) until you change the rules again.)

Last edited by AMRAAM; 09/24/09 03:08 AM. Reason: PPS

"Don't worry soldier, they can stitch those back on"

[Ord.] General AMRAAM, Commander in Chief

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.