Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2855823 - 09/06/09 04:45 PM Logitech G940 with ROF  
Lucky812 Offline
Lucky812  Offline

Corpus Christi, TX
I bought a new G940 at Frys yesterday. I am just starting so I will give my first impressions.

Pros: Force feedback kicks some major butt. All of the pitch problems I have been having with my CH Products have gone away with this joystick. The controls are very responsive but do not cause the overcontrolling (especially the rudder) that I have experienced. The friction knob on the rudder pedal really help with this. In the Logitech Profiler config software you can adjust the sensetivity, dead zone, and range for each axis for each profile.

Cons: I cannot seem to program keystokes such as "page up" or "delete" which limits the programability. Complete lack of a manual or tutorial on programimg.

edit: I just found a guide located in the software files. oops... duh

I did have the same ROF axis problems that I had configuring my CH Products. Trial and error until the right axis is inverted or not inverted. This is a ROF problem not the G940.

I love my CH Products but I am putting them on the shelf next to my Cougar. The King is dead. Long live the King!

Last edited by JG52Lucky; 09/06/09 06:24 PM.

i7 2600K
ASUS GTX580
46' LED
Bose Speakers
TM Warthog (CH Products, Logitech G-940 and Cougar are gathering dust)
TrackIR 4 w/Vector
VAC
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2855847 - 09/06/09 05:34 PM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: Lucky812]  
JV44HeinzBar Offline
JV44HeinzBar  Offline

Stuck in Yankee land..ugh
S!,
Ever thought about selling your unused CH stuff? I use a CH throttle combined w/ a MS FFB2. I've been thinking about buying the combat stick and pedals.

HB

American by Birth; Southern by the Grace of God.

www.jagdverband44.com

My Rig:
Win 10 Pro 64
AMD Ryzen 3900x
EVGA GTX 780 3gb (stock)
16gb ddr4 3200
2Tb nve HD for OS
3 6tb 7200 WD black HDD
Asus 570 motherboard
HP Reverb G2, Virpil CM2 Throttle, Virpil Warbrd base with Warbrd grip
#2856159 - 09/07/09 05:11 AM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: JV44HeinzBar]  
BuddyWoof Offline
BuddyWoof  Offline

I picked one up also at Fry's yesterday. I LOVE IT! The thing is so accurate I can hit ground targets 10 times better than I used to. Awesome. I have no problems programming page up or delete.

The only problem I'm having is that the buttons on the throttle are supposed to change color when you press them but mine aren't changing. I also don't like the pedals it came with (the pedal rotation is too short) so I am continuing to use my CH Pro Pedals......

#2856206 - 09/07/09 08:04 AM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: JV44HeinzBar]  
_815_TooCooL Offline
_815_TooCooL  Offline

Seoul, Korea
Originally Posted By: JV44HeinzBar
S!,
Ever thought about selling your unused CH stuff? I use a CH throttle combined w/ a MS FFB2. I've been thinking about buying the combat stick and pedals.

HB

You don't really need CH sticks when you have MSFFB2.
I sold mine years ago.
If you fly Jet sim and need heavy programing, yes, CH stick + throttle is way to go.

#2856208 - 09/07/09 08:10 AM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: _815_TooCooL]  
TX-EcoDragon Offline
G's Please
TX-EcoDragon  Offline
G's Please

CA
I was back home for a night and found out that my local Frys had the G940s in stock so I just decided to grab one for testing if nothing else.

Before plugging anything in it was clear that the button placement on the stick itself is good and the stick seems like it will fit smaller hands well and still fit larger hands as well (edit: OK after an hour or so of flying with it I've found it got uncomfortable, it seems the handle is too small around for my hands to stay comfortable especially with forces at 150%, but perhaps some pipe insulation foam could be added to the right side of the handle to thicken it up a bit). The buttons, dual stage trigger and hats have a fairly high quality feel and the positioning of them is good on the stick, and adequate on the throttle (but it's no Cougar throttle, and the layout and features of the stick doesn't quite compare to a Cougar either). The stick and throttle have a rubberized hard plastic surface which provides a nice feel in your hands.

The rotaries on the throttle are not very well placed IMHO as you must use your ring or middle finger to actuate one of them and it takes two full swipes of my finger to go from stop to stop and the other requires a change in hand position to get my thumb to it and it's somewhat recessed so you have to hunt for it a bit. The rotaries do have a smooth feel and lack center detents and while others have complained about that, I actually think it is a good thing as it allows precise position at any point rather than having a detent that you have to move out of to get precision. In addition to the precision, this is also more realistic for trim wheels. If one of these was elevator trim though you would have to visually look to see it's neutral every time before takeoff rather than being able to center it by feel. . .of course real pilots have to do this, and given the precision, I'm happy they are this way.

Now to the bad stuff. . .I may change my mind later, but I'm already pretty sure I'm going to return the G940 for the following reasons:

1) FFB implementation: Similar my Logitech G25, the FFB on the stick has a deadzone, on mine it is approximately 15-20 degrees around the center point. This means that smaller stick motions are met with almost no force feedback or damping. Because of this, precise control is quite difficult around the trimmed position and as you move the stick you will suddenly feel the FFB kick in. Additionally, when you move the stick further from center to the areas where FFB is strong the motion is somewhat notchy, as if you can feel the gears of the FFB system gnashing.

I was just flying an Se5a through a city tracking low along a road with buildings whizzing by. . .if you were to watch footage of the flight you would see the airplane is hunting in pitch and roll, it's a bit jerky, and actually makes this type of flying a bit tough (I imagine shooting would be as well) and simply isn't as smooth as it would be if I was flying with the CH Fighterstick or the MSFFB2 (or even my old X-45). I'm yet to tweak the FFB settings at all - but my experience with the G25 tells me it will probably not be something I can fully eliminate and with the deadzone precision is impossible (note that the tweaks to teh G25 FFB were not done in Logitech software but with rFactor plugins so this might be hard to do with RoF?). For me, precision control is imperative for any joystick I'm going to keep and when the old second hand Fighterstick and MSFFB2 I have do a better job, well. . .you get the idea.

2) While they looked robust in the pics and videos the rudder pedals are even more chintzy than the CH pedals. . .if I put my feet in the heel cups just the weight of my legs on the pedals is enough to make them flex and wobble all over. Normally I use PC pedals as I use real airplane rudder pedals, with my heels on or just gliding across the floor, but with these pedals the mechanism binds and sticks if I just apply pressure to the lower portion of the pedals so I have to push more in the upper portion of the pedals for them to work smoothly.

Just like the CH pedals these are too narrow and too flat for my tastes, they actuate in such a way as to get even narrower when moved to the limits of travel too. The pedal surfaces look similar to transport category aircraft pedals (other than the heel cups and how close together they are), and they do have a softer center detent than the CH do which is nice, but given that they look like their made out of rubber when I set my feet on them, and that they bind with any downward force applied to the lower portions of the pedals I don't think they will stand up to very many hours of my use (aerobatics is gonna kill em!) even if they had the smoothness needed. While I never thought I'd say it, the CH actually offer much better control as they have slightly longer travel, don't bind (well mine started to after 8 years of hard use - but that was solved with a cleaning of the plastic rollers) and the linear travel the CH has is more natural and comfortable for me.

Compared to real aircraft rudder pedals the proximity of the base of the unit and the pedals themselves, as well as the heel cups, makes using the pedals as most pilots are used to (with their heels on floor) not very comfortable as the heel cups press into the arch of your foot and the base of the pedals hit your heels. The CH have these same issues but it is easy to fix with a wedge fitted to each pedal to give them a cup-less surface at a more vertical angle, so in itself this isn't a deal breaker for me.

WWI aircraft rudder bars have "pedals" that get closer to the center as they are deflected so I suppose you could count that point in favor the narrowing with deflection character of the G940 pedals, and if they were wider to start with I wouldn't mind it too much I suppose. The deal breaker for the pedals is the flimsy and flexy construction (and how narrow they are). So for me the CH will have to do.

In comparison to the MSFFB2, the MSFFB2 has far smoother action with much better centering (which actually feels somewhat realistic). A nod in favor of the G940 is that the FFB motors are a lot stronger than the MSFFB2 even at default settings and forces can be increased in the control panel to the point that you better have your monitor bolted down and a sturdy desk! If the deadzone and smoothness of the FFB were eliminated the stick and throttle might be worth the 300 bucks alone. Sadly the Rudder pedals use a proprietary connector (as does the throttle) so you can't sell them to someone who doesn't have the rest of the G940.

Given that you can't (currently?) buy just the stick and throttle, and as someone who won't be using the pedals no matter what this means I paid 317 bucks for just the stick and throttle. . .that would be worth it for a smooth and precise FFB action, but overall the flying experience is better on my CH pedals, X-45 throttle and MSFFB2. . .and that's certainly a cheaper setup too! I didn't want to have that opinion - and it might change if I discover a way to get the FFB dialed in, but that's my preliminary feeling on it.

S!
TX-EcoDragon

http://www.txsquadron.com
#2856450 - 09/07/09 06:52 PM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: TX-EcoDragon]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
After much trying of different combinations, I've also ended up with an MS FFB2 stick, an X-45 throttle and CH pedals. I'm slightly exasperated that no matter how much I am prepared to spend there isn't a perfect control set up out there. However, things should get better when Neoqb get round to fixing the control model for their aircraft.

Cheers,

RD.

Incidentally, if the rudder pedals were as far appart in my glider as they are for the CH set, then I mught be able to stand up after a long flight rather than hopping around the airfield for ten minutes until the circulation returns.

Last edited by RocketDog; 09/07/09 06:54 PM.

Beyond gliding distance
#2856595 - 09/08/09 01:17 AM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: JV44HeinzBar]  
DavidWa Offline
DavidWa  Offline

Vancouver WA
Hey It me iceman.. I have some you can buy talk to me on Team Speak next time your flying.

#2856605 - 09/08/09 01:42 AM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: TX-EcoDragon]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

Eco ... you mentioned rudder bars .... are these available for purchase anywhere ? That would be pretty cool. Pedals are great of course but not authentic for the WW1 and ultralight rag and tube purists. And even the old billy carts when I was a mere lad. Halcyon days.

#2856664 - 09/08/09 03:54 AM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: catch]  
DavidWa Offline
DavidWa  Offline

Vancouver WA
Have a problem with the logictech software seeing the new joystick. Any one have an idea? 64 bit vista.

: found a fix

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=pcgaming&thread.id=2202
yeah

Last edited by DavidWa; 09/12/09 07:18 AM.
#2857156 - 09/08/09 11:18 PM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: TX-EcoDragon]  
TX-EcoDragon Offline
G's Please
TX-EcoDragon  Offline
G's Please

CA
I wanted to update this with a response that I got from Logitech_Mark which has some useful information in it, and potential explainations for the FFB deadzone I'm encountering:

"Hi,

I'm glad to see some feedback here and am happy to comment.

First, it is important to clarify some terminology. There is ZERO deadzone in the stick X and Y axes, unless you add it in the profile. That means the stick registers movement throught its range.

What users are encountering is the force feedback spring centering. Our base driver has some play in the center, to keep the motor from fighting itself on center. Once the simulation starts, all stick centering and force feedback comes from the game settings. G940 is doing exactly what it is told. Now that G940 is available to software developers, we expect to work with them to tune the sims to the G940 capabilities. There is no physical or mechanical limitation to eliminating the play from the center.

You can force centering in all games by checking the checkbox in the force feedback settings to enable center spring all the time. There is no check box to reverse forces. We haven't encountered any games with them reversed. FSX forces are sometimes a bit laggy, which can give the impression of being reversed. Unfortunately, there is no one at ACES studio to work with, as there was when we started the project.

There is a more recent software build out, published after the G940 went into production. The production version was 5.06. 5.07 is available for download, but not yet linked to G940. You can get the proper download by following the support links from the G27 racing wheel.

We are making further improvements, and I'll post the notice when the next update comes out.

S!
TX-EcoDragon

#2857157 - 09/08/09 11:21 PM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: catch]  
TX-EcoDragon Offline
G's Please
TX-EcoDragon  Offline
G's Please

CA
Originally Posted By: catch

Eco ... you mentioned rudder bars .... are these available for purchase anywhere ? That would be pretty cool. Pedals are great of course but not authentic for the WW1 and ultralight rag and tube purists. And even the old billy carts when I was a mere lad. Halcyon days.

Not that I've seen. . .but these would be about as easy to make at home as can be given how simple the mechanism is.

You could probably do it with a "Lazy Susan" and some pipe or a thick dowel, wire it up with one pot or Hall sensor and you're off!

I think for my uses a home made stick and pedals is probably the way to go. . .I just never want to take the time to do it!

S!
TX-EcoDragon

#2857183 - 09/09/09 12:30 AM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: TX-EcoDragon]  
TX-EcoDragon Offline
G's Please
TX-EcoDragon  Offline
G's Please

CA
Well - the new software didn't change the FFB deadzones in RoF or the problems with FSX. . .though it seems Microsoft is to blame for the FSX issues and perhaps with time the dev team at RoF can tweak things for that sim.

It seems like the only way to get FSX to be flyable is to enable the Centering Spring and then go into the FSX controls menu and un-tick "Control Surfaces" in the Forces tab. This does seem to eliminate aerodynamic control surface centering and force changes with speed and surface deflection.

S!
TX-EcoDragon

#2857307 - 09/09/09 05:05 AM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: DavidWa]  
BuddyWoof Offline
BuddyWoof  Offline

Originally Posted By: DavidWa
Have a problem with the logictech software seeing the new joystick. Any one have an idea? 64 bit vista.

I'm using Vista64 without issues. Are you sure you installed the x64 version of Logitech profiler?

#2892828 - 11/02/09 04:04 PM Re: Logitech G940 with ROF [Re: TX-EcoDragon]  
Atelophobia Offline
Atelophobia  Offline

Germany / Bavaria
Hey Eco, any news on your "deadzone-problem?" Did you give the G940 back?
Right now I use a merged X36-(handle+throttle)-MSFFB2 setup along with Saitek pedals and I think about buying a G940. But unprecise movements in center area would be a no go for me.

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.