Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2827470 - 07/26/09 10:39 PM Can you buy a used copy?  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

Can you buy and used copy of game and make it work?

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2827477 - 07/26/09 10:44 PM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Warbirds]  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
I would wait for someone who is running a used copy to give you the go ahead and all the specific details of how it works.

I have not read a post as yet from anyone running a used copy of ROF.

This issue should become clear very quickly, IMHO.

I expected a developers response before now but the communications seems a bit slow so far.

Last edited by Buddye1; 07/26/09 10:46 PM.

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.
#2827685 - 07/27/09 06:39 AM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Buddye1]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Problem-free if the one who sells just gives you the email address and password he used. So always a good idea to use a freebie gmail for logging in.

These are not the official Neoqb forums, don't know if they wrote about it on their forums.

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#2827713 - 07/27/09 08:14 AM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Freycinet]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
Hi,
maybe you could change your eMail adress connected to your account at the official RoF site to another one and then sell it with the new one ? The new owner can then once more change it a.s.o.

Greetings,
Catfish

#2828450 - 07/28/09 04:41 AM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Catfish]  
Cameljockey Offline
Cameljockey  Offline

Hampton, SC USA
Since Neoqb has all of that info along with all of your stats, the best scenario would be, in the event of a re-sale, for them to delete your account to free up the disk and code key for a new user. Pretty simple.

NZXT Guardian 921 RB Case
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVDRW Drive
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Mainboard
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm Lucifer V2 CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Kingston 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal SSD
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI E 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
#2828457 - 07/28/09 05:08 AM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Cameljockey]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Let me clear this up. If you buy a used copy, neoqb will not give you a new key. The previous owner must give you the entire account.

Jason

#2829308 - 07/29/09 02:13 AM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
rabu Offline
rabu  Offline

California, USA
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Let me clear this up. If you buy a used copy, neoqb will not give you a new key. The previous owner must give you the entire account.

Jason

Jason:

Does that mean some one can sell their copy down the road if they aren't happy with it?
I had the impression before that that wasn't allowed from comments made in the past.

I know that will probably be a very small percentage of buyers, but I've always thought it would be best to humor your customers. So, how would they go about giving the used copy buyer their "entire account?"

Exactly what does that mean?

Thanks,

rabu ...[|8~'

Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i7 3.4GHZ Quad-Core
Gigabyte GA-Z68A LGA1155 MOB
G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 SDRAM
XFX GeForce GTS250 1gb w/22" LCD 1680x1050 32x dpi96
SB X-Fi audio card
OCZ ZT 650W PSU
3 WD 7200rpm 3GB/Sec SATA drives

#2829411 - 07/29/09 05:18 AM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: rabu]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Neoqb will not support used copies in any way. The game is designed to be sold once. If you must buy a "used copy" don't just buy someone's disk and code. neoqb will not give you a new code.

Read my statement again. That's the last I intend to say about used copies.

Jason

#2829458 - 07/29/09 08:04 AM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: rabu]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rabu
So, how would they go about giving the used copy buyer their "entire account?"

Exactly what does that mean?

Thanks,

Pretty clear: access to the email used for RoF and the password.

There's nothing easier than creating a free gmail account and having it forward to your ordinary email (so you don't need to log in to and out of several accounts). I am guessing that most of us have a "spam mail" we use like that. I certainly don't give out my ordinary mail address for all purposes.

#2829595 - 07/29/09 12:29 PM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Freycinet]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Not only is that a violation of the ROF TOS but it is also a violation of the gmail TOS... not that anyone seem to care.

#2829605 - 07/29/09 12:45 PM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Master]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Just as no one seems to care that "Designing a product to be sold only once" would likely violate a bunch of EU laws. Not to be provocative towards Jason, but I don't think Aerosoft would get away in court with that same sentence.

To be more precise, the German copyright law knows a clause that specifies the copyright holder loses the right to dictate sales terms once the product has been sold. ("Erschöpfungsgrundsatz")

German Legal Information:
http://www.it-recht-kanzlei.de/erschoepfungsgrundsatz.html?search=Gebrauchtsoftware

Microsoft lost a case against a company specializing in used-software sales based on this. In fact this also means that OEM licenses can be legally resold, and the above link explicitly states examples of clauses which are legally void - first of all a restriction on resale is in that list.

Since Aerosoft is a publisher based in Germany they would likely find it very hard to enforce in court a block on resale of their game, once it's sold to a legitimate customer.

Again, I don't write this to be provocative, but because I don't see why people should not be informed about their rights. It's way to common in software and computers that companies "make up" terms and customers don't properly claim their rights for lack of knowledge.

Jason's statement may be correct as it relates to US Copyright laws, I can't verify that, but obviously if resale must be legally allowed in Germany, NeoQB can not flat out state they will prohibit it.

#2839435 - 08/12/09 02:38 AM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
aRareKindOfMonster Offline
aRareKindOfMonster  Offline

Neoqb will not support used copies in any way. The game is designed to be sold once.

That is complete nonsense! Absolutely ridiculous.

While I am not downplaying the quality of ROF as a sim, I believe your - 777 Studios - conditions to owning your product are laughable. It lacks sound judgment and sensibility.

It's the worst implementation of DRM so far.
It makes Starforce look like an open barn.

#2839455 - 08/12/09 03:26 AM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: aRareKindOfMonster]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

No it doesnt, starforce ruined more than a few expensive cdrw drives at my house and at my place of work. ROF's CP is not even in the same ball field as starforce.

#2839456 - 08/12/09 03:31 AM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: aRareKindOfMonster]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: aRareKindOfMonster
Neoqb will not support used copies in any way. The game is designed to be sold once.

That is complete nonsense! Absolutely ridiculous.

While I am not downplaying the quality of ROF as a sim, I believe your - 777 Studios - conditions to owning your product are laughable. It lacks sound judgment and sensibility.

It's the worst implementation of DRM so far.
It makes Starforce look like an open barn.

Don't be a moppet and finish reading his entire reply.

#2840746 - 08/13/09 07:05 PM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Sim]  
Cameljockey Offline
Cameljockey  Offline

Hampton, SC USA
I read his whole post, as a matter of fact, I've read every post in the thread, and he's not being a "moppet". I think it's ridiculous too. Many have registered their game (myself included) with their regular email address without knowing beforehand that they'd have to give said email address and password to the new owner/renter if they wanted to sell the game/rental contract.
I purchased (rented) everything RoF has to offer so far. It took a while for me to come around to purchasing (renting) it because I had quite a few reservations. The "always online" requirement was the biggest one. But, foregoing all of my doubts and reservations, to "support the genre" I took the plunge anyway. The only reservation I have left is, what happens if Neoqb doesn't survive? Even while purchasing/renting new content, that thought is still in the back of my mind, and the question has been asked before, but never answered. If there is no Neoqb, will I be able to enjoy RoF, the best damn WWI aircraft (not air warfare) simulator to come down the pipes in quite a while, or will I have a nice coaster and a few fond memories? I reckon, to Neoqb, failure is not an option.

Here's hoping they succeed,
CJ

NZXT Guardian 921 RB Case
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVDRW Drive
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Mainboard
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm Lucifer V2 CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Kingston 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal SSD
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI E 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
#2840835 - 08/13/09 08:38 PM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Cameljockey]  
SimonC Offline
SimonC  Offline

North of England
"The only reservation I have left is, what happens if Neoqb doesn't survive? Even while purchasing/renting new content, that thought is still in the back of my mind, and the question has been asked before, but never answered. If there is no Neoqb, will I be able to enjoy RoF, the best damn WWI aircraft (not air warfare) simulator to come down the pipes in quite a while, or will I have a nice coaster and a few fond memories?"

Well, that's it in a nutshell isn't it?

I own RB3D, FE, OFF:BH&H and SD:WWI (although the latter's off me hard disk at the mo). Any time of day or night I can fire these games up and play them. I'm beholden to no-one. I *own* them - I didn't rent them.

It is, more than the 'constantly online' nonsense, the one thing that keeps my hand away from my wallet - I'll wait until I can see that NeoQB are prospering with their business model before I consider buying. Why on Earth shouldn't I? Why would I buy a game that might be as much use as a drinks coaster this time next year?

Now *that* consideration puts the buying a used copy thing into a very stark relief.

#2840848 - 08/13/09 09:01 PM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: SimonC]  
Gunloon Offline
Gunloon  Offline

Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: SimonC
"The only reservation I have left is, what happens if Neoqb doesn't survive? Even while purchasing/renting new content, that thought is still in the back of my mind, and the question has been asked before, but never answered. If there is no Neoqb, will I be able to enjoy RoF, the best damn WWI aircraft (not air warfare) simulator to come down the pipes in quite a while, or will I have a nice coaster and a few fond memories?"

Well, that's it in a nutshell isn't it?

I own RB3D, FE, OFF:BH&H and SD:WWI (although the latter's off me hard disk at the mo). Any time of day or night I can fire these games up and play them. I'm beholden to no-one. I *own* them - I didn't rent them.

It is, more than the 'constantly online' nonsense, the one thing that keeps my hand away from my wallet - I'll wait until I can see that NeoQB are prospering with their business model before I consider buying. Why on Earth shouldn't I? Why would I buy a game that might be as much use as a drinks coaster this time next year?

Now *that* consideration puts the buying a used copy thing into a very stark relief.

For my part, being able to enjoy flying again is worth far more to me than the relatively small cost of the sim and planes I have so far, and is a big part of why I was an early adopter of ROF.

Still, you make a perfectly valid point. Here's my opinion as I posted on the ROF site in response to a member with the same concern:

Originally Posted By: "Stickgrip"
The only discomfort I have is If they deside to pull the plug we are all screwed with a disc. that will be worthless.

Originally Posted By: "Gunloon"
You know, I've thought about that very issue. My conclusion is that if neoqb were to close up shop, the last thing they'd do before turning the lights out would be to deactivate the online requirement...if for no other reason than self interest.

Think about it, the devs are not anonymous, and if they did pull the plug without freeing their customers to continue enjoying the sim in its latest state, they'd lose all future credibility with anyone who had the slightest knowledge of their history. It's one thing to have a business fail, quite another to destroy the utility of that business' product...sort of a 'scorched earth' practice. Would you want to give someone who'd left their previous customers stuck in the desert any support? I sure wouldn't.

If the team ever does fold, I bet they'd issue one last update turning off the DRM. It's not like it would cause them financial loss at that point, and unless they want to retire to some remote corner of the globe to change spark plugs for a living, they wouldn't want to have an indelible stain on their record.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about that scenario any time soon, especially if neoqb stays on the ball and comports themselves as they have; I've seen nothing but integrity and a sincere desire to make this a superior sim. Personally, I'm looking forward to years of good experiences with ROF and want to see them around a long time!

just my two cents

[MF] Gunloon

I should add that if that unhappy event were to occur, it would also behoove neoqb to make available a comprehensive patch, discretely downloadable, to ensure that anyone who bought the sim could upgrade it to the same state as everyone else's at any time. I don't think either turning off the DRM or making one comprehensive patch available would involve more than the barest trouble or expense and would be the least they could do to help their supportive customers.

As I mentioned, if they were to fold and leave their buyers stuck, their names would be mud in the community...a burned bridge whose memory would follow them forever.

Sheesh, dismal talk. Like funeral arrangements, it's something I don't want to dwell on, since I'm enjoying ROF so much now!

Let's hope that ROF has a long and happy life thumbsup

[MF] Gunloon

Last edited by Gunloon; 08/13/09 09:02 PM.

Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
#2840862 - 08/13/09 09:21 PM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Gunloon]  
Counterman Offline
Counterman  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Anyone else think that there is something wrong when things like this have to be discussed about a game?

It's a freaking game! It's not like business software that costs thousands of dollars. This form of DRM is completely overkill and doesn't even consider the end-users home situation. Believe it or not, people still live in rural areas where dial-up is the norm. ISP servers go down, RoF login server has already gone down once, and, heck, sometimes your home connection gets FUBAR'd. If it's Christmas time and I want to play RoF and my router fries, I will be waiting to play a single player game until I can buy a new router.

Then you have the fact you don't 'own' the game or your account. I wouldn't be surprised if the EULA states somewhere that selling your account info is forbidden because you don't technically own it.

Just go buy a new copy. Because even if you get the account info from someone, they will ALWAYS be able to access that e-mail address and reset the password in-game.

#2840868 - 08/13/09 09:32 PM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Counterman]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Counterman, the online and bandwidth requirements are clearly stated in RoF info. If you decide to buy it although you're on an intermittent 28kpbs dial-up connection then that is your problem for not living up to the minimum requirements.

#2840916 - 08/13/09 10:46 PM Re: Can you buy a used copy? [Re: Freycinet]  
Counterman Offline
Counterman  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Counterman, the online and bandwidth requirements are clearly stated in RoF info. If you decide to buy it although you're on an intermittent 28kpbs dial-up connection then that is your problem for not living up to the minimum requirements.

I wasn't talking about myself. I am talking about customers in general and by having these kinds of requirements you are limiting an already limited interest game to people. If you were developing a game why would you do that? So you can thwart a few hackers?

A cynical thought I just had which might not be huge, but the whole account thing could be there for other reasons. When a person sells their game or a place like Gamestop sells it, they are the ones that get the sales. Having an account login tied to each key, basically forces people to buy the game new. This allows people like Neoqb and Jason's 777 to make money, rather than an unsatisfied customer recouping some of his money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.