Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2824647 - 07/22/09 07:12 PM Re: Rise of Flight needs work,,, [Re: Feathered_IV]  
JohnnyBoy Offline
JohnnyBoy  Offline

As soon as I start hearing great things about the single player game(campaign and such).
Then I'll be placing my order pronto.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2824668 - 07/22/09 07:40 PM Re: Rise of Flight needs work,,, [Re: JohnnyBoy]  
Bleddyn Offline
Bleddyn  Offline

Vancouver, BC
I don't think you will see much more then tidying up the campaign. A massive overhaul is highly doubtful.. think more along the lines of the IL-2 Campaign as an end goal.

For a long, long time the developers have been saying that a RB3D like campaign was not, and is not in the plans. People chose to ignore that and buy it anyways in the hopes that the developers were lying, or would change their mids. Now as it turns out they were telling the truth, the campaign is rudimentary just like they said.

If I was looking at a truck for sale, and the sign said it was a truck, but I told myself.. nah it will drive like a sports car, then I buy it and it drives like a truck.. who is to blame?

#2824787 - 07/22/09 09:51 PM Re: Rise of Flight needs work,,, [Re: Bleddyn]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Oh, c'mon, Ming, there's quite a bit of fun in being petulant from time to time. Hand on hip, stomp that right foot, and keep that chin up when shouting the NOW part.

My hubris is building against the AI and I need some humility therapy against human pilots!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2824821 - 07/22/09 10:57 PM Re: Rise of Flight needs work,,, [Re: Dart]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Even as we speak the mission builders are feverously working out the quirks and nuances of the generator......You have primary targets, you get maybe a secondary here and there...you fly miles to and from....with enemy fighters prowling the skies, ready to pounce......Heck....that suits me just fine. All this with some great immersion, not the least of which is a top notch FM. Maybe down the road someone comes up with a tweeked mission builder, something like DCG, or a QMT, throw in a MAT manager....

These things take time. IL2 was pretty darn good out of the box, but it took some time and a whole lot of positive community simmers to make it what it was, and still is today.

Of course your right about the rudimentary campaigns, but time will tell....Right now, I will keep my own tally and write up my own after mission report, that is, if I make it home. Heck, even my spelling is better than the sims.....:)

#2825037 - 07/23/09 09:45 AM Re: Rise of Flight needs work,,, [Re: JagerNeun]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
there's quite a bit of fun in being petulant from time to time. Hand on hip, stomp that right foot, and keep that chin up when shouting the NOW part.

Of course!

Just reining you in a little after you're being patronising in another thread Smile2

Hand on hip, stomp that right foot

I was right about you lol it's Drag Queen Day at the YMCA today remember, and we're all waiting for the shots of you leading the parade soldier. Or docker, both work for me <runs away> Smile2

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2825039 - 07/23/09 09:50 AM Re: Rise of Flight needs work,,, [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
JagdNeun you should see a neoqb-created mission they are scary. They are absolutely huge spider-webs it's going to be a long hard road to disentangle the important bits. But with that complexity there's also scope for very realistic missions with AI pilots having a priority system and randomising functions

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2825175 - 07/23/09 02:39 PM Re: Rise of Flight is worth buying despite its flaws [Re: 2005AD]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: 2005AD
Rise of Flight is a great sim that needs some more content to make it a true classic. I will be hoping it is a success so that the needed improvements will be financially viable for Neoqb to create.

This has been the stated business plan since we began to hear about the sim's business plan.

Content addition has always been part of the sim's growth modus operandi.

2005AD, your quote above states the obvious, because that's been the sim's design and implemention intentions all along. I guess recognizing the update and add-on process built into ROF, and then repeating this here it is a good thing if it assures you that the sim will become a success in your eyes, but you're merely understanding what's already been prepared for.

Just some history from another thread here about WWI flight sims, past, present, and future:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2823482/3/Realism.html

#2825202 - 07/23/09 03:14 PM Re: Rise of Flight is worth buying despite its flaws [Re: FlyRetired]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyRetired
This has been the stated business plan since we began to hear about the sim's business plan.

Content addition has always been part of the sim's growth modus operandi.

2005AD, your quote above states the obvious, because that's been the sim's design and implemention intentions all along. I guess recognizing the update and add-on process built into ROF, and then repeating this here it is a good thing if it assures you that the sim will become a success in your eyes, but you're merely understanding what's already been prepared for.

I think you have not read my statement properly. I know Neoqb had planned this method of release for quite a while, I am merely pointing out that I hope this method is a success. Many potential sales are being lost because people will avoid purchasing Rise of Flight due to the low/missing/broken content. Neoqb need sales so they can continue supporting RoF, the catch is that people are refusing to buy RoF because it doesn't have the content Neoqb are hoping to add with updates. My thread was created to show that in its current state Rise of Flight is still well worth the purcahse. I am hoping to encourage people to stop sitting on the fence and take the plunge.

#2825248 - 07/23/09 04:18 PM Re: Rise of Flight is worth buying despite its flaws [Re: 2005AD]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: 2005AD
Rise of Flight is a great sim that needs some more content to make it a true classic.

All that Neoqb really needs for ROF, is the time to demonstrate their game plan.

Some gamers will buy it later when they're convinced a favorite feature is fixed or included, others when the sim has a certain number of planes available or a favorite aircraft built.

Neoqb's plans will sustain this sim, because they're determined that the sim's reputation will drive its sales forward.

All that Neoqb needs is for consumers to understand that the sim grows and improves upon itself over time, and for prospective buyers to see that the process works, and then the assurance that ROF is indeed what is plans to be will be solidified. Sooner or later interested buyers will jump in, when their particular judgement threshold is satisfied. As I've said with confidence for months, the merits of ROF will make it a success, not the hype. It's certainly important to share all impressions of the sim now, both good and bad, and to even celebrate an event that ROF is, but people will recognize this sim's excellence, and if they're interested in WWI or in flight sims in general, will want to be part of the ROF experience.

I put my faith in good old self-interests leading the way.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.