Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#2759388 - 02/02/07 11:44 AM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Fat Bhoy Tim]  
Skybird Offline
Skybird  Offline

If it has no serious bugs that takes months and months to be taken out,
and thus if it is no premature release,
if it has a MUCH, MUCH better flight model than the original sim which was no sim but an arcade game in that regard,
if it comes without Starforce,
if it is not just a collection of free mods, put together into one "new" thing someone now makes a quick dollar from,
and if my system can handle it -
then I will give this one a serious thought.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2759389 - 02/02/07 12:04 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Skybird]  
frentzen2000 Offline
frentzen2000  Offline

I have never played Enemy Engaged but I thought this was / is a serious Helicopter Simulation?!? I got this opionion through various Reviews and Forum topics. Am I awrong??

#2759390 - 02/02/07 04:30 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Skybird]  
Fat Bhoy Tim Offline
Fat Bhoy Tim  Offline

Originally Posted By: Skybird
If it has no serious bugs that takes months and months to be taken out,
and thus if it is no premature release,
if it has a MUCH, MUCH better flight model than the original sim which was no sim but an arcade game in that regard,
if it comes without Starforce,
if it is not just a collection of free mods, put together into one "new" thing someone now makes a quick dollar from,
and if my system can handle it -
then I will give this one a serious thought.

Amen.

#2759391 - 02/02/07 04:32 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: frentzen2000]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose it depends who you ask ... serious sim is a relative term.

The FM does need some attention and the "realism" isn't up to par with LB2, but it's close and is always getting better. Believe me ... you'll be busy when flying.

#2759392 - 02/02/07 04:39 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: ]  
Skybird Offline
Skybird  Offline

Originally Posted By: LIONPRIDE
The FM does need some attention and the "realism" isn't up to par with LB2, but it's close and is always getting better. Believe me ... you'll be busy when flying.

Yes. Especially with handling the collective by tenths of a millimeter, every two seconds, to prevent skyrocketing into the air or falling like a rock into the ground :lol:

"Some attention" is an euphemism, I fear. Even with the recommended workarounds (that I have tried 5, 6 or more years ago), the FM is a non-starter for me.

The avionics may not have been the most realistic, but despite the FM the game was immersive and had a good cockpit atmosphere. So with the exception of the messed-up FM, the game was okay. A shame they never fixed that.

Are you the same Lionpride that was hanging around at combatsim.com six or seven years ago? The world is a village! We occasionally "met" there back then.

Last edited by Skybird; 02/02/07 04:42 PM.
#2759393 - 02/02/07 06:22 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Skybird]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am the one and the same ... and still have that callsign for the boards but rarely travel over there. I've been meaning to head that way more often now that I found out they weren't charging anymore to view the site.

#2759394 - 02/02/07 09:27 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Skybird]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Yes. Especially with handling the collective by tenths of a millimeter, every two seconds, to prevent skyrocketing into the air or falling like a rock into the ground

It should be somewhat improved in EECH 1.8.3 where you can use non-linear controls. Which makes the controls less "twitchy". This also goes for the collective, which has better control in the 60-100% area (which is most of the flying time is spent).

That said, you have to anticipate the controls somewhat and apply the controls a little time before you want them to take effect.
Because everything has inertia and the controls have some delay so it will continue doing what it does for a little while even after you've changed the control.

I have never flown a real helicopter myself, but frome what I've heard this is fairly realistic. There is some delay in helicopter controls, and you have to anticipate what it will do a little ahead of time.
But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and flight handling is a very personal feeling.

What is undisputable is that it models many more aerodynamic forces than LB2 did. Like vortex rings, different ground effect force from different parts of the rotor disc, retreating blade stall, proper turbine engine modelling (in EECH 1.7 and later) etc.

The avionics may not have been the most realistic

It's certainly not as realistic as Black Shark is going to be. But the current EECH 1.8 should at least be on par with LB2. It does now simulate pretty much anything LB2 did, at least for the Apache (e.g. PFZs and manual radar and laser control).

This is for the modded EECH though. I have no idea if EE2 will be as realistic as that, or be return to the realism level of original EECH. But if can do anything about it it will be at least as good as EECH 1.8 \:\)

#2759395 - 02/02/07 10:50 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: ]  
Skybird Offline
Skybird  Offline

Originally Posted By: LIONPRIDE
I am the one and the same ... and still have that callsign for the boards but rarely travel over there. I've been meaning to head that way more often now that I found out they weren't charging anymore to view the site.

Is it so - then I have to visit that old place again and see what they are up to now. "Let's do the time-warp again!"

#2759396 - 02/02/07 10:56 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Skybird]  
Vikingo Offline
Vikingo  Offline

Argentina
my hopes for EE2 are that the stutter I get with my 7800GS will not be there like is it with EE or EECH 1.8

I can play the game but is quite disturbing have that stutter, and don´t mean the hard drive stutter, have plenty of RAM here I mean the micro stutter when you fly or when you move your controls hard up and down...
hope with the revamped graphic engine for DX9 those things will get finally fixed, what do you think m8?

Vik

core2duo e6600
asrock 4coredual-vsta
EVGA 8800GT 512 MB
2 GB RAM DDR2
Sound Blaster Audigy
1 x 1 TB HD SATA
2 x 250GB HD IDE
#2759397 - 02/03/07 04:24 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Vikingo]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since the thread name is "new screenshots" ... and we haven't seen any in quite some time ... you guys should check out this recently posted Cobra-Mission in Armed Assault:
After Action Thread - COBRAS

Good stuff ... wonder what THAT flight model is like ... lol

#2759398 - 02/03/07 10:28 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: ]  
Colonel_Kurtz Offline
Colonel_Kurtz  Offline

Australia
Unless the EECH2 devs aquire all the mods/packs from EECH right up to version 183 of the current EECH i doubt it will measure up. The main interest for me is having a fully functional user friendly multiplay environment so the community can grow.

An up side of all this is that EECH2 will be a simple install which may see a resurgence in the games popularity as has happened with IL21946.

Last edited by Colonel_Kurtz; 02/03/07 10:31 PM.
#2759399 - 02/04/07 08:26 AM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Colonel_Kurtz]  
Porkchop Offline
Porkchop  Offline

Parma, OH, USA
Wow,
Great Expectations! I'm not all that picky. I mean I'd settle for Jenifer Aniston rather than spend a lot of time and effort chasing after Angelina Jolie. Just not a real pickey guy I guess. Now regarding EECH I employ the same "logic". I would be real happy if some of the more obnoxious graphics anomolies finally got the deep-six. The disappearing mo-mat at the FARPS, the disapearing textures at the airbases, the pop-up buildings. Stuff like that, that tends to interrupt my suspension of disbelief. The textures on the pilots and stuff like that doesnt bother me, but big stuff that looks wierd, like I imagine a bad acid trip might look really degrades my personal gaming experience. I don't particularly want to know what a bad acid trip looks like, although the drunk mode in Redneck Rampage was pretty fun. Yee-Haw!

I played the hell out of DI's apache, and hind. Those graphics engines were utilitarian at best. The graphics were all cartoonish, and everything was scripted, but man those games were for me immersive, and just plain fun. Fun for me, can't speak for anybody else. Likewise for LB until the newer generation graphics cards threw all kinds of artifacts on my screen and jacked up my suspension of disbelief.

Graphics anomolies, and dorking around with mods usually mark the death knell for a sim for me. I like to fly the games, not twist virtual wrenches to get them running. With 2 jobs I just don't have the time for screwing around with some Frankenstine install process. Besides, I thought all that crap was over when I didn't have to play tiddlywhacks with the config.sys, and autoexec.bat, emm.386, and himem as well, not to mention all the "at&f&z&p@3" incomprehensible modem initialization strings, boot disks, and all the rest of it.

If EECH v.2 looks good, and plays good, its all good for me. Doesnt have to be the next big thing. Doesn't need to be Angelina, when Jen will do.

Black Shark? God only knows how that will turn out. I'm almost beyond caring at this point. The Viet Nam UH-1 sim gives me real concern after that "demo" movie that was put out. UnFair Strike by the same dev team, was a steaming pile. I'm not very confident in where it's succesor may be headed. I would love to be wrong on that one. I'll take every "I told you so" in the book, with joy in my heart if I'm wrong on that.

It would be fantastic if the both those other products turned out to be worthwhile, however I wouldn't lay a bet down on that eventuality. <speculation> It may be this rework of EECH is the only game in town for the forseeable future. Something to concider.

Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.

I love it when a plan comes together. ~ H. Smith "The A-Team".
#2759400 - 02/06/07 09:09 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Porkchop]  
Fat Bhoy Tim Offline
Fat Bhoy Tim  Offline

Hind was such an immense game, scripted or not. Same went for DI's F16 game, very similar format and map.

#2759401 - 02/06/07 10:18 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Fat Bhoy Tim]  
Vikingo Offline
Vikingo  Offline

Argentina
DI F16!! wow! I remember that, so nice memories!

core2duo e6600
asrock 4coredual-vsta
EVGA 8800GT 512 MB
2 GB RAM DDR2
Sound Blaster Audigy
1 x 1 TB HD SATA
2 x 250GB HD IDE
#2759402 - 02/08/07 05:23 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: Vikingo]  
a.forlorn Offline
a.forlorn  Offline

DID Tornado was even much better. \:D

#2759403 - 02/10/07 11:46 PM Re: New Screenshots [Re: a.forlorn]  
Porkchop Offline
Porkchop  Offline

Parma, OH, USA
a.forlorn
Too right! Tornado was a gas! Good memory. I think it wasn't that hard to get running either. Minimal fiddleing with autoexec.bat, and config. sys

I love it when a plan comes together. ~ H. Smith "The A-Team".
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.