Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2753826 - 06/29/09 10:43 PM Mini-review. Not impressed  
tamper Offline
tamper  Offline

Pros:
Good Graphics
Flight model seems pretty good, but I wouldn't say it's better than IL2.

Cons:
Almost no content
No "dogfight" style servers
Awful AI. Worse AI than IL2, an eight year old game
Worst, voice, acting, ever.
Ground War/AAA far worse implementation than IL2
Ridiculous DRM

Yes, I'm comparing it to IL2, a WWII sim. It's the gold standard for this sort of thing, IMO.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2753834 - 06/29/09 10:58 PM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: tamper]  
intramile Offline
intramile  Offline

"Awful AI. Worse AI than IL2, an eight year old game"

Interesting. I find them extremely good, in every way. If you fly the Fokker D7 against the N28 it will try to extend, if your in the Spad against the N28 (LOL) it will try to outturn you. Pretty smart imo.

They are also far more capable when they have room to maneouvre, ie, at height, not on the deck.

Ground war seems good to me - immersive. They could do more of course. But never liked Il2 in that regard. At all.

#2753840 - 06/29/09 11:06 PM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: intramile]  
Ripbud Offline
Ripbud  Offline

This game is a techdemo.

The content you are getting for your money is nearly equal to a game demo you download for most big games.

I would not recommend this game unless you paid 15 bucks for it and just wanted to fly around and maybe small dog fights with friends (although even that seems like a demo..)

#2753850 - 06/29/09 11:14 PM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: intramile]  
sdflyer Offline
sdflyer  Offline

SoCal
I don't think that AI so bad at least I think so after almost four weeks of playing it.
Also I don't think it's fare to compare flight model to another simulator. IL2 has a lot of problem and fixed with its flight model up to date.

I agree the game by itself missing a touch like it was in Red Baron II or Knights of the Sky; nevertheless, I like idea with hangar and airplane. I wish developers could expend this concept to make it more immerse

Work hard, flight right

My "flying machine" specs:
Motherboard: Intel DX58SO | Core i7 | X58 Chipset | Socket LGA1366 | Supports SLI & CrossFire Only
Processor: Intel Core i7-940 2.93GHz Socket LGA 1366 Nehalem 8MB CPU
Memory 1: 3GB (3x1GB) OCZ DDR3-1333 Platinum Low Voltage Triple Channel (7-7-7-20 @ 1.65v)
Video Adapter 1: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCI-Express 512MB
#2753853 - 06/29/09 11:17 PM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: Ripbud]  
sdflyer Offline
sdflyer  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: Ripbud
This game is a techdemo.

The content you are getting for your money is nearly equal to a game demo you download for most big games.

I would not recommend this game unless you paid 15 bucks for it and just wanted to fly around and maybe small dog fights with friends (although even that seems like a demo..)

Well my friend you would appreciate this game more if you had to pay $50 in hour to fly #%&*$# AST 300 sim with outdated graphics biggrin

Work hard, flight right

My "flying machine" specs:
Motherboard: Intel DX58SO | Core i7 | X58 Chipset | Socket LGA1366 | Supports SLI & CrossFire Only
Processor: Intel Core i7-940 2.93GHz Socket LGA 1366 Nehalem 8MB CPU
Memory 1: 3GB (3x1GB) OCZ DDR3-1333 Platinum Low Voltage Triple Channel (7-7-7-20 @ 1.65v)
Video Adapter 1: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCI-Express 512MB
#2753855 - 06/29/09 11:21 PM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: Ripbud]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

I guess its' all in what you like. I never was a big fan of IL-2, and I personally wouldn't call it the gold standard. I think the current iteration of BOBII is the BEST WWII sim out there.

As far as ROF, I wasn't too impressed with it at first, but, after getting into the campaign its' showing potential. I think long-term with some patches the game will be a viable contender for greatness.

The FM IMHO is very good as well, but, I admit, getting proficient with the MGs is hard in ROF. Practice, practice, practice.

#2753867 - 06/29/09 11:37 PM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: trek]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

I don't understand how anyone can compare IL2 FM and ROF.... maybe because people that never piloted an aircraft and learned from sims. To me, FM seems very dynamic and lifelike - way better than IL2 which back then was a king. Now DCS with Ka50 is the winner and ROF with WW1 aircraft are.

#2753879 - 06/30/09 12:00 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: Sim]  
Counterman Offline
Counterman  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Sim
I don't understand how anyone can compare IL2 FM and ROF.... maybe because people that never piloted an aircraft and learned from sims. To me, FM seems very dynamic and lifelike - way better than IL2 which back then was a king. Now DCS with Ka50 is the winner and ROF with WW1 aircraft are.

I always find it interesting when people discuss flight models and talk about how real or unrealistic an FM is. Unless you've actually flown the aircraft all your information is speculation or at best second hand information. I personally like reading FSX add-on reviews by people who are maybe 1st rate cessna jockeys at best, yet they somehow know how a 747 is suppose to handle.

I have been playing RoF for all of 1h20m. I spent the first hour waiting for load screens, restarting the game, and configuring my controllers. Why? Because the configuration menu is a POS. No matter what I did I could not invert a controller. So my rudder pedals were backwards and then my throttle was backwards. The only way I fixed it was through notepad.

The graphics are so-so. I like the fact that the trees are real and abundant. The aircraft look pretty good. But the landscape just don't look natural and at distance looks blocky and far from smooth.

Flying is alright if you can get the a/c off the ground. Being that I can't change the sensitivity on my controllers through the settings options its very touchy.

The interface is another POS. How many freaking times do you want me to click stuff? I am sorry but once I click start, don't have me clicking start again once the mission actually loads.

If I wasn't an aviation and history buff I would have said screw it to this game an hour ago. -Also helps I know a bit about computers.

RoF is a disaster of a flight simulation. I didn't pay to beta test a game. Once RoF makes the review circuit around the internet, Neoqb will be lucky to sell more boxes. This is an awful release of a computer and I have no clue how some people can praise it.

#2753964 - 06/30/09 01:54 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: Counterman]  
Cameljockey Offline
Cameljockey  Offline

Hampton, SC USA
I have RoF. I got it on Friday and like the majority of the people I had to jump through fiery hoops to get it to work. For someone who knows little about computers and editing files it is a complete disaster. If it is so good, and so easy to install (like some claim) why are there 62 threads and almost 650 posts in the Technical Support forum. Until they get the bugs out and release some more flyables (I abhor SPADS) it's going on the shelf and I'm going back to OFF-Between Heaven and Hell. IMO at this point it's head and shoulders above RoF anyway.

CJ

NZXT Guardian 921 RB Case
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVDRW Drive
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Mainboard
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm Lucifer V2 CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Kingston 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal SSD
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI E 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
#2754022 - 06/30/09 02:51 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: Cameljockey]  
DoolittleRaider Offline
DoolittleRaider  Offline

Every person associated with BETA testing of ROF should be sent off to Prison. It's a crime what they let though in terms of GUI, Control configuration, etc. Seems to me all they looked at was "...is it pretty and can you take off into the wild blue yonder".

What a joke/failure on the part of the so-called Beta "team".

#2754046 - 06/30/09 03:16 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: DoolittleRaider]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: DoolittleRaider
Every person associated with BETA testing of ROF should be sent off to Prison. It's a crime what they let though in terms of GUI, Control configuration, etc. Seems to me all they looked at was "...is it pretty and can you take off into the wild blue yonder".

As I have pointed out in another thread with a similar statement I have to say that I resent your comments. There has been a lot of hard work put in to get this as bug free as possible. We have done and continue to do our job.

What it comes down to is for Neoqb et al to fix these errors. This, unfortunately, takes time and is a matter of priority. We don't have a hand in that. Can you imagine what this would have been like if we hadn't been doing our jobs?

Shame on you for your post!

In saying all that, do I think they should have waited a bit longer for release? Certainly. the only problem then is we'd have another 5 or 6 threads moaning about the delay. What a catch 22!

Last edited by Smosh; 06/30/09 03:20 AM.

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#2754051 - 06/30/09 03:21 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: DoolittleRaider]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

OH..yeah!

Great conclusion there -- NOT!

...because as we all know, when beta testers point out a bug - the deveopers all drop everything their doing and rush to their PCs and fix it on the spot!

* edited out other remarks *

Last edited by WWBrian; 06/30/09 03:26 AM. Reason: trying to keep it civil..........

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#2754056 - 06/30/09 03:29 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: tamper]  
BigJim43 Offline
BigJim43  Offline

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: LBC123
Pros:
Yes, I'm comparing it to IL2, a WWII sim. It's the gold standard for this sort of thing, IMO.

I hate to tell this but I see Oleg flying AH2 all the time and I like AH2 FM waaaaaay better than IL2's but here again I think it's just what each guy prefers.

I like this game and it has no big content at release because that is NOT their marketing scheme, rather they plan to make money selling more content and that is not greedy it is just different from an online subscribtion game.

There alot of guys out there that don't want to pay, hell my wife is one of em who wants a caddy for chevy prices, they would rather fly an old FM that has been cannablized into a WWI sim for cheap and in some cases FREE. It's not gona be free here so I guess you will have to decide if ya want to hang in and buy the stuff you want as it comes along or not. The DRM tripe is just hackers being POed that they can't get to the code.

#2754060 - 06/30/09 03:34 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: DoolittleRaider]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

Are you serious or having a tug ?

#2754066 - 06/30/09 03:51 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: DoolittleRaider]  
jared17 Offline
jared17  Offline

how is the fm in il2 better.. i rofled..

Intel Core i7 3770k ~ 4.7 GHz
2x EVGA 780TI's
16GB Kingston Hyper-X RAM
MSI Z77 GD65 Gaming
Windows 7 Ultimate
#2754077 - 06/30/09 04:09 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: jared17]  
franksvalli Offline
franksvalli  Offline

The Beta testers pointed out a lot of bugs. Some were fixed, some weren't. Simple as that.

#2754096 - 06/30/09 04:34 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: franksvalli]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Some of us discussed a lot of the things that are in the game during the Beta.

You assume that just because we tested the Beta that the Devs would incorporate every suggestion and idea.

Interface is not that bad as far as I am concerned. At least to me it doesn't seem that much worse than anything that I haven't played before. I would like to be able to configure the game from within the game and not exit out to configure, test it out, then configure again. I know this complaint was posted on the boards. But.... I don't think there was a way to configure the engine to incorporate this without a major rewrite so it is something the testers lived with. Likewise it isn't a game killer but it is annoying.

As for the reverse controls, I never had that problem so I never had a bug or a complaint. My controllers worked perfectly (CH Fighterstick, Throttle Quadrant, Pedals) without any futzing so I didn't have anything to discuss. I know that there are some problems now, that should be fixed in a patch.

Again, I hate the idea of having to patch games but at least the nice thing now is that you don't have to wait until the copy of PC Gamer comes out get get an update CD to fix a game. It does mean games get released less polished, that is very true but it also means that we do get fixes a lot faster.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#2754122 - 06/30/09 05:02 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: jared17]  
tamper Offline
tamper  Offline

Originally Posted By: jared17
how is the fm in il2 better.. i rofled..

Um, not to be rude, but your reading comprehension seems to be lacking here.
Quote:

Flight model seems pretty good, but I wouldn't say it's better than IL2.

Is not the same thing as:
Pros:
The flight model in IL2 is better.

It's difficult to compare FMs of planes you've never flown, as an earlier poster pointed out. Nothing has jumped out at me as significantly more complex or "real life" in ROF compared to IL2, which is why I made that statement. Also, notice that I included it in the "Pros" category.

Last edited by LBC123; 06/30/09 05:05 AM.
#2754130 - 06/30/09 05:18 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: trek]  
Harker Offline
Harker  Offline

Originally Posted By: trek
I guess its' all in what you like. I never was a big fan of IL-2, and I personally wouldn't call it the gold standard. I think the current iteration of BOBII is the BEST WWII sim out there.

If that's the best we have then the flightsim genre is in a far worse state than I initially thought. BoBII is a game built upon a ten year old game that was probably the buggiest mess of a sim ever foisted upon us.

#2754133 - 06/30/09 05:21 AM Re: Mini-review. Not impressed [Re: Wklink]  
Harker Offline
Harker  Offline

Originally Posted By: SimHQ Tom Cofield

Again, I hate the idea of having to patch games but at least the nice thing now is that you don't have to wait until the copy of PC Gamer comes out get get an update CD to fix a game. It does mean games get released less polished, that is very true but it also means that we do get fixes a lot faster.

That's good and all but game developers need to get their head of the sand because they just don't seem to realize how important first impressions are. And I've been burned on plenty of games that never saw those patches that promised to make a buggy mediocre game into a good game so I never buy based on promises of patches later.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.