Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2725159 - 05/15/09 01:16 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Sokol1]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Sokol1
Quote:

In other words do you think you would have moved on by now to another sim had it not been cracked?

What another sim?

Sokol1

Not everyone limits themselves to WW2 sims my friend.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2725384 - 05/15/09 05:50 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Stormtrooper]  
rootango Offline
rootango  Offline

everywhere

i think there can be no doubt that the mod's have given new life to the old il2 horse, but only for the online crowd who has been informed about them, not the majority of game purchasers who never ventured online with it after its installation (and they are probably 80% of the il2 customer base)

there might have been a small puff of wind in the sales department because of the mods, but mostly the game is at its end of life and versions of it are in the discount sales bins by now of game stores. some of those buyers even end up purchasing older versions then 1946, and if they liked the flightsim start looking online for updates or addons

if the game had been officially opened for mod'ing, i think it might have pushed sales along a bit more, and the downside of the unofficial modding is the fragmentation of online servers for the online crowd because there is now such a mix of server types that player numbers on them are down significantly.

Be advised, we got zips in the wire
#2725511 - 05/15/09 08:54 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Stormtrooper]  
®uger Offline
®uger  Offline

Originally Posted By: Stormtrooper
Quote:

In other words do you think you would have moved on by now to another sim had it not been cracked?

What another sim?

Sokol1

Not everyone limits themselves to WW2 sims my friend.

True, true, and also along those lines I do find flight sims to be sorta boring, but in keeping with real life, so was flying long a$$ distances, many times without even seeing a duck...

#2725594 - 05/15/09 11:27 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Bearcat99]  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
Still, skin mods is cosmetic.
Splash screen? Um. Cosmetic. It's first on the list as cosmetic.

6DOF still cosmetic, in a way. And with the mesh problems (faces not being drawn), it seems a bit wierd.

Also, you'd never land on a carrier in a crosswind.
They kinda turn into the wind for you. Matter of fact, this is standard procedure.

I'll give you the view control modifications. That's a good one, actually. Let's call those:

Multiplayer Balance Mods

But still... You missed my point.

When SERVERS start enforcing (with the checkruntime) that I have COSMETIC mods installed (with no option to join if I don't want to use them), then I'm done with the series.

I don't use UI. I actually know how to mod the game without that atrocious bloatware thing.

Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
Originally Posted By: Tolwyn
The UI is what turned me off of mods forever.
MODS fall into a few categories:

Flight Model Enhancements
New Maps
Fly All Aircraft
New Objects

And cosmetic:
New Cockpit
New Cockpit Graphics
New Smoke
New Clouds
New Graphics
SOUNDS

When servers start enforcing COSMETIC options, it ruined the game for me.

I'm all for new maps, updated planes, new planes, fly all aircraft, etc.... but don't make me listen to new sounds or force me to look at a new cockpit for the sole reason you put your grandmother's picture in there.

Like Trooper said.. You dont need the UI to use mods... Also.. I steer clear of "FM enhancements unless they are on new aircraft.

However, I think you missed a category of mods. In addition to what you mentioned there should be another category..

Functional Mods .. as in:

The Skinmod - which lets you change the skin of the defaults.. so now when I land at my home base... all the parked planes have Redtails..

The Splashcreen mod which lets me make my own splashscreen...

The HotKeys mod.. which does several things...
- Manually open/close bomb bay doors.
- Display TAS in addition to IAS in the speedbar. (also requires the HUDConfig mod)
- Separate gear up/down controls.
- Separate tailhook up/down controls.
- **NEW** Separate radiator open/close controls
- The server can set various limited external view options while 'No External Views' is turned on.
-- External view only of player's own aircraft.
-- External views only while player is on the ground.
-- External views only when player is dead.
-- **NEW** External views of friendlies only.
- **NEW** Toggle music on/off while flying.
- **NEW** Modified airshow smoke (red, white, or blue...from the tail of the aircraft).

The MiniMap mod.. which lets you use the mimimap bidirectionally.. meaning no more zoom all the way in then zoom all the way out...

The AI mod... which is great.

The 6DoF mod... which is GREAT.

and the Wind Config mod.. which lets ypu put wind in your missions.. Nothing like trying to land on a carrier in a crosswind to get your neck hairs up.

and many many more..

I would probably still be flying regardless because I just like the sim... and I have found that going back to stock 4.09b1 with the switcher is a great way to remind myself of just how totally awesome this sim is... However I do think that the mods have helped primarily because the rampant cheating that so many were afraid of did not happen. For me the above mentioned mods and the maps are just as important if not more important as the others mentioned and have gone a long long way to extending the life of his great sim.. online and offline.

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)
#2725636 - 05/16/09 01:18 AM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: j p]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Semantics but ok........ I still think the mods have helped the sim.. and j.p.

Originally Posted By: TROOPER117
It's all I can takes, and I can't takes no more!! ahoy

wave
I thought it was... "That's all I can stands.. and I can't stands no more.. "

Quote:

What another sim?
Sokol1

LOL.. that's what I was saying...

Originally Posted By: j p

Somehow I doubt that, the only site where discussion let alone links are not allowed is the 1c forum, that and statements by people who worked really closely with Oleg, as well as some people who consider themselves "mistake or pork fixers" lead me to think this whole crack was not welcomed.

Anyway, I tend to have an opnion close to Dart's, I still fly stock and will never touch the mods for my own reasons, not least of which many of those who screamed the loudest against the "hack" and insulted some modders I know who are good people, who swore not to touch them without Oleg's say so, quietly started using them, plus this whole "everyone is now an FM pharoah".

I do think it was a mistake not to allow the community to add things like maps and objects easily from the start. That said, it appears SOw will allow this and I am very pleased with that.
My 2 cents etc.

I agree.. but one interesting thing @ the 1C site.. the mods were out for almost a year if not before they decided to stop all discussion @ mods..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#2725655 - 05/16/09 02:29 AM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Bearcat99]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
Actually, since Il-2 was hacked, I have decreased the time I spend with it by about 90% and have moved on to ARCA Sim Racing. I still make a couple of short forays on-line each week, but I used to be on two to four hours a night, seven nights a week. As far as I'm concerned, it ruined the sim for me because the integrity of the FM/DM is gone.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#2725680 - 05/16/09 04:35 AM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Flatlander Offline
Flatlander  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Hi yeah i don't come here often (quit after 4.04M) and have a question which i'd like to pose to the regulars here.

Do you think the IL-2 series would still be as popular as it once was (is now) if it weren't for the new mods?

Please try to stay on topic and let's not turn this into a debate. Simple question, simple answer
TIA
ST

The IL2 series popularity over time is probably a log-normal (-ish) distribution (scale =2) skewed to the right. We are probably a fair distance out to the right now that we are what? 7 or more years into this. The new mods have probably not significantly changed the curve. The die-hards still playing. Some have come and some have gone.

So, no. IMO IL2 will never be as popular as it was at its peak.

For me, the mods have added interest with the new maps and new places to find interesting mission building challenges. Would I still be playing without the mods? Ya, probably. I'm in with a good group and enjoy the cooperative nature of lying with a squad.

For me, the prospect of altered FM/DM/weapons killed online dog-fighting.

~Flatlander

Despite repeated warnings Albert continued to loiter outside public lavatories dressed as pestulence.
#2726469 - 05/17/09 07:43 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Flatlander]  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
With the MOD I do have a ton more fun with Lowengrin's application.

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)
#2726791 - 05/18/09 11:48 AM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Dolph Offline
Dolph  Offline

Piraeus

Do you think the IL-2 series would still be as popular as it once was (is now) if it weren't for the new mods?

One of the reasons I stopped playing is that game was cracked and became another Unreal Arena...
Original game itself had a million planes in the best overall package we could get.
The loss of trust cannot be balanced by the goodies of mods.

Just my humble opinion.

PS. And no, I would not have moved to any other sim. Is there anything better (or even just close) to 1946 4.08m???

Last edited by Dolph; 05/18/09 11:52 AM.

Shooting reds since 2001
#2728341 - 05/20/09 03:04 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Dolph]  
Avala Offline
Avala  Offline

I think that most of the thing said here pro and contra mods are true. Most of the mods really are just cosmetic, and that is not bad at all.

No moder has knowledge and capability as Oleg and his boys regarding FM, DM and similar thing so "cosmetics" is just an free and wanted adition to the sim. That's why I am also reluctant to the FM and any code changing at all. Another thing is that very few modders know how to change anything regarding code, and sole simulation engine is completely intact (and will remain "virgo intacta" yep)

Dont forget that some of that "cosmetic" is made technicaly and historicaly most accurate as it can be in IL2.

So, I think there is something better then 1946 4.08m (just my personal opinion) it's called 1946 4.09b1m modded:

#2728413 - 05/20/09 04:30 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Avala]  
®uger Offline
®uger  Offline

In a nutshell!

#2728519 - 05/20/09 07:08 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: ®uger]  
Nasty Offline
Nasty
Nasty  Offline
Nasty

Phoenix, AZ
I haven't found a mod that let's me toss hand grenades out of the cockpit yet. Until then, I don't need any mods.

#2728646 - 05/20/09 09:47 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: j p]  
Novotny Offline
Novotny  Offline

Belfast
For me, IL-2 was my flying, fighting game. The mods just made it better.

#2728856 - 05/21/09 04:22 AM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Nasty]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: Nasty
I haven't found a mod that let's me toss hand grenades out of the cockpit yet. Until then, I don't need any mods.

Personally, I'm waiting on the relief tube mod.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2728957 - 05/21/09 10:01 AM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Dart]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
I prefer the original with the fox-fur lining

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2730694 - 05/24/09 02:05 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: VonBarb.]  
Guderian Offline
Hotshot
Guderian  Offline
Hotshot

People's Republic of Sweden
Modding may be keeping the game alive, but I doubt it's generating a lot of new sales. I don't really see mods as competitors to SOW either, since the new game will add features that mods can never match.

As for Oleg, I think developers simply have different mindsets when it comes to mods. Oleg seems to be more controlling compared to e.g. TK. There are also other issues, like the fact that allowing mods leads to request for tools, and support for those tools, which takes away time from working on new releases. That means mods can impact a developer's bottom line.

"I prefer to fly alone ... when alone, I perform those little coups of audacity which amuse me" - René Fonck
#2730934 - 05/24/09 11:20 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: F19_lacrits]  
Triad773 Offline
Triad773  Offline

North America
If it weren't for the MODS I likely would have just stopped spending so much time at the computer. There is really nothing else to 'move on to' with anyway, so I might have just checked in here and there to see if anything was new with SoW.

I continue to learn more history with IL-2/1946: only now it's about Korea wink

~S~

Triad

#2730951 - 05/24/09 11:44 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Triad773]  
®uger Offline
®uger  Offline

Originally Posted By: Triad773
only now it's about Korea wink

~S~

Triad

If anything I find this to be discouraging, it's my feeling that WWII and Korea should be kept separate, as well as WWI. I wouldn't have an issue with it but it's going to make a large game huge, and if it were separate installs for each theater of war, that would make and keep thing more simple. Before anyone says "you don't have to install either" yes I know this but, the one thing that it will do is focus the interests of the individual modders to their liking and distract efforts that could go to the WWII development...

#2747752 - 06/22/09 07:11 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Avala]  
Sholtz Offline
Sholtz  Offline

Originally Posted By: Avala

Good Lord that is gorgeous! I must have this mod...what is it???

#2747839 - 06/22/09 09:14 PM Re: Question for IL-2ers [Re: Sholtz]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Hardly played it at all since it was cracked, can't be done with attempting to keep up with the mods.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.