Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2710688 - 04/19/09 09:25 PM Industrial and goth music anyone?  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
Out of curiosity I'd like to ask who else here likes goth and industrial music. From the more pop-like antics like Cruxshadows (and by no means I mean that as an insult) to the harsher stuff (SPK, etc.) anything goes.

Recently I did a check on my CD and LP collection. I found classical music, lots of stuff from bands like Devo, Simple Minds and Ultravox, very few metal and rock, no charts stuff from this nor the last century, and about 70% are albums by industrial and gothrock bands.

For me it all probably started with Gary Numans "Are friends electric?" back in 1979. From then on I listened to all possible synth sounds and settled down to industrial/wave/EBM at the end of the 80s. That doesn't mean that guitars are out of the window for good, as I seriously consider going to the upcoming NIN concert end of June in Dsseldorf.

In no particular order these used to be (or are) my favourites

- Front 242
- Skinny Puppy
- Front Line Assembly
- Ministry (guitars can rule!)
- Gary Numan (apart from the midphase junk he poured out)
- Nitzer Ebb
- Mentallo and the Fixer
- The Danse Society
- NIN
- VNV Nation

So, if any other fans of this stuff are here, any thoughts or comments on specific bands?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2710690 - 04/19/09 09:31 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: purolator]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Nine Inch Nails is pretty much it for me. Does the Cure qualify as industrial or goth? I like some of their stuff.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2710751 - 04/20/09 12:34 AM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
panchobel Offline
panchobel  Offline

Fantasy Island
Is Abingdon School Boys considered goth/industrial music?

#2710764 - 04/20/09 01:23 AM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: panchobel]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Not in to either really; just a little industrial from Ultraspank is enough for me.

Dabbled a little in to Ministry and Spine Shank after hearing them in some motocross vids I had back in the day

Last edited by NoUseForAName; 04/20/09 11:24 PM.
#2711176 - 04/20/09 07:13 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: JoeyJoJo]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Purolator,

We have much to discuss!

Although industrial/gothic is not my FIRST love in music, it is my main love in music! I've been listening to that kind of music since the 80s, and continue to today (I'm actually listening to Rotersand's "Exterminate Annihilate Destroy" as I type this).

Being from Chicago, I was pretty fortunate that I was there during the rise of WAXTRAX! and Ministry and so on...

Here's a partial list of what I listen to:

Assemblage 23
Bruderschaft
Chemlab
Covenant
The Cure
Curve
Dead Can Dance
Delerium
Depeche Mode
EBN
Einsterzende Neubauten
Faith and the Muse
Frontline Assembly
Front 242
Glis
Hate Dept
IAMX
Icon of Coil
i:Scintilla
Imperative Reaction
Intermix
Joy Division
KMFDM
Lush
Ministry
Necessary Response
New Order
Nine Inch Nails
Nitzer Ebb
Pigface
Pop Will Eat Itself
The Presets
Revolting Cocks
Rotersand
Seabound
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Sisters of Mercy
Skinny Puppy
Switchblade Symphony
VNV Nation
Wolfsheim

etc etc...

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#2711181 - 04/20/09 07:30 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: bones]  
panchobel Offline
panchobel  Offline

Fantasy Island
so i guess abingdon school boys isn't heavy metal or goth then.......

-.-

it's getting to me.. this question... sleepless nights..... ARGH!

* throws plush toy at burglar lurking out window for the 7th night in the row *

#2711204 - 04/20/09 08:05 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: panchobel]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted By: panchobel
so i guess abingdon school boys isn't heavy metal or goth then.......

-.-

it's getting to me.. this question... sleepless nights..... ARGH!

* throws plush toy at burglar lurking out window for the 7th night in the row *

Dunno...never heard of them to be honest...

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#2711238 - 04/20/09 09:37 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: bones]  
otterspotter Offline
otterspotter  Offline

Interesting lists. I've always been puzzled by inclusion of Dead Can Dance in the Industrial/Goth section (not just you, bones, music stores like Rasputin here in SF Bay Area do it too). They're so much more. Also, Depeche Mode? Lush? Curve? Wolfsheim? Never thought of them as industrial/goth. Lots of great music nonetheless. Skinny Puppy are my all time favorites, wish I had seen them in concert back in Dwayne Goettel days. "Warlock" would definitely be in my top 5 songs of all time ("Rabies" is my favorite album, though I understand it's not that popular among most fans, being too Ministry influenced as it was co-produced by Jourgensen).

You guys listed some of my other favorites too, though unfortunately the latest output of many doesn't match the power of their classics, imho. Einsturzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy, Delerium, the Cure. Or maybe it is that my tastes changed a bit too, since I can't get into any of the newer bands. For instance, I never really got into any of the Projekt bands, though by many they're considered the quintessential goth/darkwave/industrial bands: Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Lycia, Android Lust, etc.

One big omission comes to mind: Godflesh. Also, is Rammstein considered industrial/goth? Judging by the above lists, you should like :wumpscut: too.

While most of the artists listed are fairly well known (within the genre), you might also be interested in a relatively little known Swedish label Cold Meat Industry and the great dark ambient/dark wave/neoclassical/neofolk/industrial (never see the term "goth" with reference to them, oh, the labels) music they release. Check out their website and samples. I can heartily recommend In Slaughter Natives, Desiderii Marginis, raison d'tre, Atrium Carceri, Sephiroth, Dawn and Dusk Entwined, MZ.412. The best introduction to the label might be their sampler "Flowers Made of Snow" (not sure whether still available).

If you live in the States, take a look at the Soleilmoon catalogue (a label based in Portland). Apart from many Cold Meat Industry albums, and from plenty of other labels too (Ant Zen comes to mind as another important industrial label), they also carry the works of Lustmord--often credited with creating the dark ambient genre, and a musical journey you shouldn't miss if you like vast and intriguing musicscapes (he's also contributed to a lot of soundtracks).

Oh, and if you live in Chicago, bones, do yourself a favor and go and see Pelican and Russian Circles in concert. Not industrial or goth bands by any measure, but incredibly imaginative and powerful instrumental rock bands (with labels like post metal, progressive flying around, the last one probably most accurate). I've recently seen Pelican in SF and they are a total riot live. YouTube has some good videos.

Cheers.

Last edited by otterspotter; 04/20/09 09:40 PM.
#2711296 - 04/20/09 11:34 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: otterspotter]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
Guys, check out the newest album by (the lead singer of Skinny Puppy) Ohgr, entitled "Devils in My Details".

If you like this type of material, but are sick of the same-ol-same-ol, take a look at Tim Exile's new album "The Listening Tree". Both albums are top notch, and are by no means rehashes of the same ground that has been (satisfyingly) covered.

Last edited by sinner6; 04/20/09 11:35 PM.

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
#2711297 - 04/20/09 11:47 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: sinner6]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I demand youtube links!

#2711306 - 04/21/09 12:04 AM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: Master]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Benny Moore
Unregistered

I guess that Premature Burial could fit in this thread. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=107090

#2711328 - 04/21/09 12:50 AM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: ]  
panchobel Offline
panchobel  Offline

Fantasy Island
some links for abingdon school boys music.. (i think its in japanese..)

any idea if it sounds goth or metal or......?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsca3dVgho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBBe2bEMK3U

guess im just curious how experienced listeners might hear them to be like....

#2711402 - 04/21/09 04:00 AM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: panchobel]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
I like the Industrial genre. It's probably because of those endless hours of descent and descent2 when I was younger biggrin (Skinny puppy did the soundtracks for those games)

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#2711487 - 04/21/09 11:44 AM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: Vertigo1]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Benny Moore
Unregistered

I was introduced to it by Thief: The Dark Project back in 1998.

#2711493 - 04/21/09 12:10 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: Vertigo1]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: PV
I like the Industrial genre. It's probably because of those endless hours of descent and descent2 when I was younger biggrin (Skinny puppy did the soundtracks for those games)

I had no idea about that!! I loved the music in the Descent games.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2711510 - 04/21/09 01:06 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: bones]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
Originally Posted By: bones
Purolator,

We have much to discuss!

Although industrial/gothic is not my FIRST love in music, it is my main love in music! I've been listening to that kind of music since the 80s, and continue to today (I'm actually listening to Rotersand's "Exterminate Annihilate Destroy" as I type this).

Being from Chicago, I was pretty fortunate that I was there during the rise of WAXTRAX! and Ministry and so on...

WAXTRAX - now that is a legendary label for the aficionado!

The first album by WAXTRAX which I purchased in 1990 was made by a band called Ajax. I never heard of them again. I always connect 'Sim City' with it, as I usually had this CD running when I played this game on my Commodore Amiga back then - good memories.

Originally Posted By: bones

Here's a partial list of what I listen to:

Assemblage 23
Bruderschaft
Chemlab
Covenant
The Cure
Curve
Dead Can Dance
Delerium
Depeche Mode
EBN
Einsterzende Neubauten
Faith and the Muse
Frontline Assembly
Front 242
Glis
Hate Dept
IAMX
Icon of Coil
i:Scintilla
Imperative Reaction
Intermix
Joy Division
KMFDM
Lush
Ministry
Necessary Response
New Order
Nine Inch Nails
Nitzer Ebb
Pigface
Pop Will Eat Itself
The Presets
Revolting Cocks
Rotersand
Seabound
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Sisters of Mercy
Skinny Puppy
Switchblade Symphony
VNV Nation
Wolfsheim

etc etc...

v6,
boNes

Only few of these bands are unknown here. E.g., I never heard of Glis or i:Scintilla, but there are so many bands it is hard to know them all actually.

In January this year I could scratch Vomito Negro and Click Click from my "need to see" list. They played in a club which is actually just a 5 minutes walk from my place.

Regarding your list, here are the bands from it which I could see on stage over the years:

Front 242
Front Line Assembly
Covenant
Nitzer Ebb
Revolting Cocks
Skinny Puppy
VNV Nation

I still ponder if I should go to this event or not. I was there last year and it was very enjoyable, but the linup of last year was a bit more appealing to me. On the other hand, can you go wrong with VNV, Rotersand and Project Pitchfork?

You also added proof to a theory of mine, as I don't know any industrial fan who doesn't own at least one or to Depeche Mode albums wink On LP I got 'Construction Time Again' and 'Some Great Reward', on CD 'Violator' and 'Songs of Faith and Devotion'.

@PanzerMeyer: Yes, the Cure qualifies as Goth stuff, at least the earlier albums smile

#2711541 - 04/21/09 02:11 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: otterspotter]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth

otterspotter,

Yes, it is curious that Dead Can Dance (and Lisa Gerrard for that matter) get included in that. Possibly, I think because of the medieval overtones and look, but as you well know DCD hates being called goth. But they, as well as bands like Lush, DM, and so forth, I included because I listen to them as well--not necessarily industrial or goth (although DM pounding on metal sheets with pickups on them during the Music for the Masses tour on "Stripped" is pretty industrial), the feel, the purpose,the intent, the mood--it's all there. I guess put it this way; if you hear it in an industrial goth club, it counts. Haha, although one of the clubs I go to have been playing Justin Timberlake's "Sexyback" but I think it's done as a joke, haha...ha...eh.

BTW, I've been to Rasputin records, in Berkeley. Nice joint. I also like Amoeba Records. Haven't been there in a while though! I like Skinny Puppy and Ogre's stuff (I'm sure you know about him being in "Repo! The Genetic Opera") but although SP has alot of danceable tracks, I always considered them more of listening music, or great to watch live with the theatrics and all. I was fortunate to see Dwayne play for Skinny Puppy on the Last Rights tour...rest his soul. Oh, and yes Jourgensen did co-produce "Rabies" and played guitar on some tracks too. I personally like "Rabies" though.

Re: Delerium...I like the new stuff, but honestly, I prefer the darker more ambient Delerium of the early 90s. "Karma" and "Chimera" were good though! And I'm a die hard Cure fan too, when I first saw them on the Prayer Tour, I was really new to their music and I was sold from that performance alone. I rarely can get into the newer bands too...being more old school and growing up with the WAXTRAX! influence, most newer band just feel like WAXTRAX! ripoffs but there are a few gems out there such as VNV Nation and Assemblage 23. Not much into Projekt bands either...although, heh, Android Lust made it into the "NCIS" soundtrack and got a mention during one of the episodes, as did Suicide Commando, haha!

Rammstein is OK, I like them live, they crack me up---so totalitarian looking when they play. Never got into Godflesh and I have a few things by :wumpscut: that I really should listen to more. Plus, i'd love to go to LA when they have "wumpskate" at the roller rink!

Thanks for the tip on Cold Meat. I think I'll start out with "Flowers Made of Snow." Lustmord sounds good too...I like musical soundscapes. For instance, I have a Phillip Glass album, haha, and I love Frontline Assembly's "Mortal" and "Anti" and any work by Graeme Revelle, especially on the Crow soundtracks. I'll have to check out Pelican and Russian Circles...

v6,
boNes

#2711588 - 04/21/09 02:58 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: purolator]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted By: purolator

WAXTRAX - now that is a legendary label for the aficionado!

The first album by WAXTRAX which I purchased in 1990 was made by a band called Ajax. I never heard of them again. I always connect 'Sim City' with it, as I usually had this CD running when I played this game on my Commodore Amiga back then - good memories.

I vaguely remember Ajax, as well as the album cover. When I get a chance I'll have to scan in and post a pic of Chicago Trax studios where most of the WAXTRAX! releases were recorded. They had the albums on display on the wall, it was neat, as well as some gold/platinum records for Ministry's "Chapter 69" (it's actual name, "Psalm 69" is the song.)

Quote:

Only few of these bands are unknown here. E.g., I never heard of Glis or i:Scintilla, but there are so many bands it is hard to know them all actually.

Glis I only started listening to last October. They're from Seattle actually. And not bad. Then I saw them open for VNV Nation in Los Angeles last October. That was pretty cool--and legendary. If you follow VNV and have read Ronan's blog about that show, heh, you'll know about how fun and traumatic that show was, haha!

i:Scintilla is a local Chicago band but they are becoming more well-known, they are on the Alfa Matrix album. They've actually played a few shows in Europe and they opened for the Cruxshadows last fall, along with Ayria. They have a great sound and live show--I'm friends with half of the band, but I'm not being biased.

I've heard of Vomito Negro and Click Click but I don't think I've heard their stuff.

Quote:

Regarding your list, here are the bands from it which I could see on stage over the years:

Front 242
Front Line Assembly
Covenant
Nitzer Ebb
Revolting Cocks
Skinny Puppy
VNV Nation

Cool! Heh, I've actually seen all of them live except for Covenant. Covenant were her in 2006 but I wasn't into them until *just* after they left Chicago so I missed the boat on that one.

Here are all the shows I've ever been to or will be at:

Bones' Concert List"

Quote:

I still ponder if I should go to this event or not. I was there last year and it was very enjoyable, but the linup of last year was a bit more appealing to me. On the other hand, can you go wrong with VNV, Rotersand and Project Pitchfork?

Purolator, if you do not go to Blackfield, I will personally come to Germany and slap you upside the head! I saw the list and I drooled immediately. Hang on, I have to wipe off the keyboard..sadfhap;aefjna

OK...I've never seen APOP live and love their music (although I could do without "Rocket Science."). And you'll get to see Mesh, and Destroid, and Frozen Plasma. etc etc...of course I would be remiss without mentioning VNV! If you have never seen VNV live, go go go NOW! Macht schnell! Ronan has such charisma, and Mark rocks so much, VNV shows are by far one of my most favorite shows to go to! I may have you pick me something up for me if you do go, that I missed getting when I was in LA at their show.

Quote:

You also added proof to a theory of mine, as I don't know any industrial fan who doesn't own at least one or to Depeche Mode albums wink On LP I got 'Construction Time Again' and 'Some Great Reward', on CD 'Violator' and 'Songs of Faith and Devotion'.

Well, it's Depeche Mode! It's the mood, the genre, the feel--I still like them. I have all their stuff from "Some Great Reward" to "Sounds of the Universe" and have seen them several times. The best time to me was in 1990 when they played Chicago and Nitzer Ebb opened up for them--I have to say, NE was a tough act to follow!

Oh, someone mentioned OhGr. Yes, OhGr, and in particular, "The Devil in my Details" is great. I actually saw them/him (Ogre) last November performing for that album. Showmanhip counts loads for me, and Ogre of course delivered. Chris Connelly opened up for them so it was neat seeing two Revolting Cocks playing in a row.

Someone asked for YouTube links, here are a few of my fave picks:

VNV Nation performing "Standing" at the Los Angeles show I was at. This song always moves me...

VNV Nation performing "Honour 2003" in 2007

VNV performing "Beloved" in 2007

i:Scintilla live in Raleigh 2008

i:Scintilla live in San Francisco 2008

i:Scintilla live in Chicago 2008

Frontline Assembly, Mindphaser

Skinny Puppy, "Worlock" (might not be SFW)

Repo! The Genetic Opera trailer #1 (with Skinny Puppy's Ogre

Repo! Trailer #2

Oh,and being April 21st, Happy 50th Birthday Robert Smith of the Cure!

v6,
boNes

#2711918 - 04/22/09 02:27 AM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: bones]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
Even though otterspotter already mentioned them, the most tragically underrated band that belongs here is indeed: GODFLESH

Perhaps because they came out on the metal-centric "Earache" label they never sold many albums though always got critical acclaim. If you are new to them, try "Streetcleaner" though "Pure", "Selfless" and "Hymns" are favorites of mine as well.

Bones, thanks for speaking positively of OhGr's DIMD. I think it actually comes closer to the spirit of the original SP material far more than the rescent SP stuff. The secret (IMO) is that the album is not mastered in such a way that all the content of the entire album is compressed into a +- .03dB range like most modern albums (see: The Loudness War ). Yes folks, this album actually exhibits some dynamic range, it was not compressed to death so you could hear it in your car.

I just listened to 'The Greater Wrong of the Right' and 'Mythmaker' and don't feel they have aged well at all....
...had to put on "Last Rights" to make myself feel better. To this day nobody has emulated the feeling of being trapped in the head of an insane person having a nightmare while sleeping on a bed of broken glass quite like the Skinny Puppy.

Anywho,

S6

Last edited by sinner6; 04/22/09 02:30 AM.

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
#2712037 - 04/22/09 12:59 PM Re: Industrial and goth music anyone? [Re: sinner6]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Sinner,

Mo prob. I liked that OhGr album more than the others and the live show last November was great (this was my second one). I love the costumes and visuals. I was plesantly surprised at "The Greater Wrong of the Right" but I really didn't like "Mythmaker" at all. And it's pretty scary that "Mythmaker" is sounding aged now considering it only came out in 2007 or so.

But anyways...

BTW, I found "Flowers Made of Snow" on eMusic so I am downloading it along with some Hocico and In Strict Confidence.

v6,
boNes

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.