#2631823 - 12/11/08 08:02 AM Re: Aircraft Recommendations [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
OK, back on-topic.

JustFlight Cessna-152. Free if you subscribe to the (free and sometimes useful) FS Insider E-mail Newsletter.

http://www.fsinsider.com/news/Pages/FreeGiftfromFSInsider.aspx

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#2652166 - 01/14/09 05:16 AM Re: Recommended free & complete aircraft? [Re: FAC257]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Freeware Lockheed L-1649A Starliner, Version 2.1 by Manfred Jahn, for FSX and FS9

This is a Super Constellation, the last piston version, in all it's splendor! It flies VERY nicely, has a very nice 3d virtual cockpit, 2d panel to match, and a really complex engineer's panel. The checklist for getting the systems up and engines going is... daunting... but FEAR NOT: there is a shortcut in the form of a "auto start engines" icon on the engineer's panel (the icon resembles the Microsoft FS toggle shortcuts that bring up the radio panel, or the GPS, throttles and so on), this icon square has a image resembling a key and is located at the far right, third icon down. "Supercharger and Mixture level set best" icon is also available, look for the square "SM" icon.

You DO however need to open up the fuel tanks and a few other procedures, but there is a good tutorial included.

More to the point though, this is a truly beautiful plane, and it's represented as well as anyone could reasonably expect from freeware, with very nice repaints, custom gauges and autopilots, a panel that's either somewhat "easy", or it's complex (somewhat easy being with the shortcuts I mention), it flies just as one would expect out of a very well engineered airliner of the 40's and 50's, graceful landings and takeoffs, and just chugs along without a hurry in the world at a leisurely FL220 (22000 feet ASL). Very much worth the effort to install and learn.

Oh, and I downloaded the engine soundpack made for the Cyclone engines by Friedrich Trachsel from flightsim.com, which was made for this pack. However, if you are using this in FSX, you may have to choose a different soundpack, I'm not sure of that.

Quote:

Lockheed L-1649A Starliner Version 2.1
Filename: l1649a_version_2_1.zip
License: Freeware
Added: 16th December 2008
Downloads: 4656
Author: Manfred Jahn, Hansjoerg Naegele, and others
Size: 14453kb

File Description:

This version supersedes version 2.0. New features include 2D day and night panels, windshield wipers, revised flame effects, Calclassic style autopilot, refined flight dynamics, final approach altitude and decision height callouts, and an alternate "no VC" model for slow PCs. Providing accommodation for ninety-two tourist class or twenty-six first-class and forty-five tourist-class passengers, the Starliner entered service with TWA in May 1957. It was designed to fly Los Angeles-London and Paris-Tokyo in 20 plus hours non-stop. Other major operators included Air France and Lufthansa. Model, textures, and VC by Manfred Jahn, panels and gauges by Hansjoerg Naegele, 2D panel by Diego S. Barreto, effects and flight dynamics by Roland Berger, documentation by Howard Sodja. See the Starliner project threads at calclassic.proboards55.com for questions, comments, and general feedback.

It was arguably the largest, widest-range, and most expensive piston-engine airliner of its day (reportedly $3,219,550.00). The Starliner marked the end of the line of Constellation designs. It had an entirely new wing of greatly increased span (150 feet as opposed to 123 feet on the "Super G" Constellation).

Last edited by Rick.50cal; 01/14/09 05:16 AM.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#2652574 - 01/14/09 09:52 PM Re: Recommended free & complete aircraft? [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Flying Hedman Offline
Flying Hedman  Offline

Mölnbo, Sweden
Freeware Lockheed L-1649A Starliner, Version 2.1 by Manfred Jahn, for FSX and FS9

Link please!

#2652578 - 01/14/09 10:02 PM Re: Recommended free & complete aircraft? [Re: Rilex]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Don't know about the big stuff but for smaller stuff search at the usual places for anything by Tim Piglet Conrad.
He douse some great and unusual stuff and all his more recent releases are full FSX models.

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#2652642 - 01/14/09 11:18 PM Re: Recommended free & complete aircraft? [Re: Mark Aisthorpe]  
EnvyODB Offline
SimHQ Fun Series
EnvyODB  Offline
SimHQ Fun Series

Michigan
avsim.com i found has some nice free and complete aircraft.

#2652793 - 01/15/09 03:57 AM Re: Recommended free & complete aircraft? [Re: Flying Hedman]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Flying Hedman

Link please!

Doh!

Flightsim.com , Avsim.com for the downloads, but for support and additional repaints, this plane project's forum is located at: http://calclassic.proboards55.com/index.cgi?board=general

Some screenshots :
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=23265#post23265
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=2568&page=3

http://calclassic.proboards55.com/index.cgi?board=screenies&action=display&thread=628
http://www.calclassic.com/starliner.htm

I should point out that I have many hours with the earlier version 1.0 Beta, but the 2.1 has a great many improvements, including the VC. The other night, I did a full IFR flight, going from VOR to VOR, from Victoria Canada to Burbank California, all in rain/lowClouds, and then landed manually but using the ILS beam to follow blindly until finals. The autopilot is a vintage one, but works exactly as advertised, and it's not really any more complicated than any other AP. Bottom line: I can't find ANYTHING worth criticizing about this outstanding effort, although it gave me a deeper appreciation for how complex operating those old piston engines must have been!

Last edited by Rick.50cal; 01/15/09 05:08 AM.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#2652809 - 01/15/09 05:13 AM Re: Aircraft Recommendations [Re: Legend]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

This is a Super Constellation, the last piston version, in all it's splendor! It flies VERY nicely, has a very nice 3d virtual cockpit, 2d panel to match, and a really complex engineer's panel. The checklist for getting the systems up and engines going is... daunting... but FEAR NOT: there is a shortcut in the form of a "auto start engines" icon on the engineer's panel (the icon resembles the Microsoft FS toggle shortcuts that bring up the radio panel, or the GPS, throttles and so on), this icon square has a image resembling a key and is located at the far right, third icon down. "Supercharger and Mixture level set best" icon is also available, look for the square "SM" icon.

You DO however need to open up the fuel tanks and a few other procedures, but there is a good tutorial included.

More to the point though, this is a truly beautiful plane, and it's represented as well as anyone could reasonably expect from freeware, with very nice repaints, custom gauges and autopilots, a panel that's either somewhat "easy", or it's complex (somewhat easy being with the shortcuts I mention), it flies just as one would expect out of a very well engineered airliner of the 40's and 50's, graceful landings and takeoffs, and just chugs along without a hurry in the world at a leisurely FL220 (22000 feet ASL). Very much worth the effort to install and learn.

Oh, and I downloaded the engine soundpack made for the Cyclone engines by Friedrich Trachsel from flightsim.com, which was made for this pack. However, if you are using this in FSX, you may have to choose a different soundpack, I'm not sure of that.

Quote:

Lockheed L-1649A Starliner Version 2.1
Filename: l1649a_version_2_1.zip
License: Freeware
Added: 16th December 2008
Downloads: 4656
Author: Manfred Jahn, Hansjoerg Naegele, and others
Size: 14453kb

File Description:

This version supersedes version 2.0. New features include 2D day and night panels, windshield wipers, revised flame effects, Calclassic style autopilot, refined flight dynamics, final approach altitude and decision height callouts, and an alternate "no VC" model for slow PCs. Providing accommodation for ninety-two tourist class or twenty-six first-class and forty-five tourist-class passengers, the Starliner entered service with TWA in May 1957. It was designed to fly Los Angeles-London and Paris-Tokyo in 20 plus hours non-stop. Other major operators included Air France and Lufthansa. Model, textures, and VC by Manfred Jahn, panels and gauges by Hansjoerg Naegele, 2D panel by Diego S. Barreto, effects and flight dynamics by Roland Berger, documentation by Howard Sodja. See the Starliner project threads at calclassic.proboards55.com for questions, comments, and general feedback.

It was arguably the largest, widest-range, and most expensive piston-engine airliner of its day (reportedly $3,219,550.00). The Starliner marked the end of the line of Constellation designs. It had an entirely new wing of greatly increased span (150 feet as opposed to 123 feet on the "Super G" Constellation).

Flightsim.com , Avsim.com for the downloads, but for support and additional repaints, this plane project's forum is located at: http://calclassic.proboards55.com/index.cgi?board=general

Some screenshots :
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=23265#post23265
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=2568&page=3

http://calclassic.proboards55.com/index.cgi?board=screenies&action=display&thread=628
http://www.calclassic.com/starliner.htm

I should point out that I have many hours with the earlier version 1.0 Beta, but the 2.1 has a great many improvements, including the VC. The other night, I did a full IFR flight, going from VOR to VOR, from Victoria Canada to Burbank California, all in rain/lowClouds, and then landed manually but using the ILS beam to follow blindly until finals. The autopilot is a vintage one, but works exactly as advertised, and it's not really any more complicated than any other AP. Bottom line: I can't find ANYTHING worth criticizing about this outstanding effort, although it gave me a deeper appreciation for how complex operating those old piston engines must have been!

#2653226 - 01/15/09 10:33 PM Re: Aircraft Recommendations [Re: Rick.50cal]  
USMC BEANS Offline
USMC BEANS  Offline

Seattle, Washington
I was finally able to get the Project Opensky 777-200 working in FSX with the VC. Its nice to have my airplane back. As an FYI, all I did to get it working in FSX is install the model and the VC model as it says on the POSKY website and then I had to put Boeing777-300.gau from FS9 into the FSX guages folder and msvcr70.dll into the FSX root folder. In the 777 panel I deleted all references to the dirty glass effect in the cfg file and it worked perfectly. Clickable VC.

#2657437 - 01/22/09 04:21 AM Re: Aircraft Recommendations [Re: USMC BEANS]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Freeware (former payware) Alphasim A-90 Orlenok

What is this? Well, it's one of the weirdest aircraft ever! It's half boat, half airplane, but not a flying boat, not a floatplane... no, this is a jet powered mega-fast water-borne "thing". It flies in the air, but VERY low. So low that you have to pull back the stick to clear treetops on islands!!! biggrin

You won't need to use the autopilot. It maintains it's direction AND ALTITUDE all by itself, and with the right trim setting, will do so at top speed of 240 knots! At those speeds it'll normally sit at about 35 feet above the sea level. That's so low that to do a 30 degree turn, you'll need to gain at least 70 feet, or your wingtip will hit water and send you for a spin/crash! So to turn, pull back the stick and then bank gently.

Yes, it has flaps, use them to take off out of the water. Yes, it has landing gear... but fragile, very fragile. If you must (unrealistically I might add) land on a runway, do so with only about 100 fpm or you'll likely crash. In the real world it only uses the gear to slide up on land at concrete water ramps.

Where to fly it? Well, over water of course! Ok, I like to fly it around the Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver (Canada, not Oregon) area, as there is lots of water but also small island obstacles to navigate and deal with (can I fly over this bit or should I turn out of it's way?). Perhaps Finland-Sweden, Caspian Sea ports, the Mediteranean would make choice locations, and maybe even an invasion of Taiwan (no offense to the Taiwanese, just something to try in FS).

But what it it it really? An abandoned Soviet Union project to make a high speed transport capable of carrying much heavier cargo than an equivalent airplane, over water. Think naval assault invasions. Or cargo transport across seas. They worked as intended, but I think the limited utility (no overland flights) doomed a technically competent design to the historybooks.

For more on the aircraft:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-90_Orlyonok
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=RwKi58lEFZo
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hSaAvl3egwg

Go to
http://www.alphasim.co.uk/

And click on Freeware, then scan the Soviet column for the A-90. ALPHA Simulations 2004 A-90 'Orlenok' ('Eaglet') transport & assault ekranoplan

Once you have it installed, add a trim setting gauge of your choice, personally I use the gauge "747RT.rp.trim" but this is not a standard trim gauge so unless you have this one already it won't appear, but be sure to add the gauge line to the panel.cfg something like this:

gauge27=747RT.rp.trim, 590,735, 30, 15 // your edit additional trim gauge

#2661698 - 01/28/09 01:51 PM Re: Recommended free & complete aircraft? [Re: Flying Hedman]  
Retsud-Porc Offline
Retsud-Porc  Offline

up the line eh
The best freeware I have ever seen for FS2004/FSX

http://sectionf8.com/

Super hi-poly 3D model, high-poly best 3-D pit I've seen in FS- flight model-incredible realism..etc

This bird is some serious sh*t tha could have been $100+ payware...

SimHQ MUST REVIEW THIS BIRD!*

* - just give me credit for the heads up...;) biggrin

Last edited by Retsud-Porc; 01/28/09 02:11 PM.
#2661706 - 01/28/09 02:01 PM Re: Aircraft Recommendations [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Retsud-Porc Offline
Retsud-Porc  Offline

up the line eh
The best freeware I have ever seen for FS2004/FSX

http://sectionf8.com/

Super hi-poly 3D model, high-poly best 3-D pit I've seen in FS- flight model-incredible realism..etc

This bird is some serious sh*t that could have been $100+ payware...

SimHQ MUST REVIEW THIS BIRD!*

* - just give me credit for the heads up...;) biggrin

Last edited by Retsud-Porc; 01/28/09 02:07 PM.
#2662116 - 01/28/09 10:55 PM Re: Aircraft Recommendations [Re: Retsud-Porc]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Trial version....very nice, i'll have to pick it up. Yes to VC

http://www.fscloud9.com/php/downloads.php?lang=EN

#2662161 - 01/28/09 11:37 PM Re: Recommended free & complete aircraft? [Re: Retsud-Porc]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
The screenshot does not do that airplane justice. It's actually photo-real. You can't tell it from that shot. This jet is a must have. I've bought payware that I wished look that good.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#2662218 - 01/29/09 01:10 AM Re: Recommended free & complete aircraft? [Re: Pooch]  
Retsud-Porc Offline
Retsud-Porc  Offline

up the line eh
Originally Posted By: Pooch
The screenshot does not do that airplane justice. It's actually photo-real. You can't tell it from that shot. This jet is a must have. I've bought payware that I wished look that good.

Which is is why I'm so suprised it's not on this thread list already...

u guys are slipping...lol

#2684820 - 03/04/09 03:49 PM Re: Aircraft Recommendations [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Stam707 Offline
Stam707  Offline

Would recommend recently released 727 for FSX by Captain Sim. They have really outdone themselves with this bird. Loved it in FS9, in FSX it is even better!

Fly safe!
#2685102 - 03/04/09 10:47 PM Re: Aircraft Recommendations [Re: Stam707]  
Phantom103 Offline
Phantom103
Phantom103  Offline
Phantom103

Chicago ILL USA
Stam,good to know! Thank You,A lot of people have been complaining that the sounds were very bad.Did you find any problem?
Thanks Stam
/Patrick/

#2685170 - 03/05/09 12:38 AM Recommendations [Re: Retsud-Porc]  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

I was most attracted by your photos and particularly the site regarding the F86 "free" download. So I attempted to do so...I was sent this is not a download page immediately requiring registration. I properly registered, using proper name and email address, though the site "implied" that I could register as Zippy The Clown.

In the event, I pressed "register" and was invited back to the registration page I had just completed without explanation. Please explain the err of my ways.

#2685839 - 03/06/09 12:06 AM Re: Recommendations [Re: 5555]  
Heretic Offline
Heretic  Offline

GER
Maybe ther are no spaces allowed in usernames.

#2686122 - 03/06/09 01:35 PM Re: Aircraft Recommendations [Re: Phantom103]  
Stam707 Offline
Stam707  Offline

Originally Posted By: LEADBELLY
Stam,good to know! Thank You,A lot of people have been complaining that the sounds were very bad.Did you find any problem?
Thanks Stam
/Patrick/

Patrick,
In fact I don't care too much about the sounds. I'm more in visuals and systems smile
These are more than perfect.

Fly safe!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.