Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2679267 - 02/24/09 09:05 PM Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey"  
Skylark Offline
Old Timer's Club Member
Skylark  Offline
Old Timer's Club Member
Hotshot

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Skinner's acknowlegdements:

"Hurry Home Honey" would not have been possible if it weren't for the brilliant creative efforts of;
John "Chompy" Masters for creating the original HiRes P-51D model....
Jeff"Salty"Salter for the great textures which make up the base skin and the MEX file....
Mr Johnson's for creating this Early version of the P51D....
JWC for the wide view armour idea....
Peregrine for the Adjusted Reticules K-14 gunsight....
Migge for the cockpit and guage textures....
Working Flaps were created by Ray'Rotton'Otton....
This early 'D' Mustang has a rotating propeller boss
and a Spitfire type canopy mounted rear-view mirror.
I've reworked the following;
1)main wing and tail section detailing
2)added interior canopy detailing
3)readable cockpit instruments.....

Excerpt from the 'Readme':

History of "Hurry Home Honey" and it's pilot Capt.Richard Peterson:

P51D-15-NA "C5-T" of the 357th.Fighter Group, 364th.Fighter Squadron
stationed at Leiston AAF Station 373, England (Circa:October 1944)
This "Hurry Home Honey" was the second of three Mustangs flown by Capt.Richard Peterson.
Each of Capt.Peterson's aircraft carried the same name which was inspired by
the way his wife concluded her letters to him while he was overseas.
This Mustang was one of the earlier versions of the P51D which did not have the dorsel fillet
applied in front of the vertical stablizer.
Typical of all natural metal Mustangs recieved by the 357th. Fighter Group at this time
Capt.Peterson's P51D was field painted Olive Drab Green applied to the upper portion of the fuselage
which continued to the vertical and horizontal tail sections.
While the rest of the aircraft remained natural metal.
At this time "Hurry Home Honey" shows fourteen of the total 15.5 victories Capt.Peterson
achieved by the end of WW2. This score made him the fourth highest Ace of the 357th.Fighter Group.
As a member of the 364th. he participated in the following historic missions.
'Operation Overlord' as top cover for the D-Day invasion of Normany
'Operation Frantic' stuttle missions to the USSR in the summer of 1944
and providing top cover support of the ill-conceived 'Operation Market Garden'
in the Netherlands in the fall of that same year 1944.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skin has been forwarded to Mike for Host'n & Post'n

Cheers mates thumbsup
David

Last edited by Skylark; 02/24/09 09:10 PM.

"The further backwards you look, the further forwards you can see"
Winston Churchill

http://www.sandbagger.uk.com/skylark.html
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2679349 - 02/24/09 10:33 PM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Skylark]  
Col.J.D.Landers Offline
Col.J.D.Landers  Offline

London, England.
Shame so many 'things' got in the way of that HR D model ever getting upgraded.

Checked, and pretty sure she was a D-5 model...But great work David...very nicely done!

cheers

Col.

“The temptation to form premature theories upon insufficient data is the bane of our profession.” - Sherlock Holmes
#2679431 - 02/25/09 01:11 AM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Col.J.D.Landers]  
Wudpecker Offline
Hotshot
Wudpecker  Offline
Hotshot

Santa Cruz, CA
The history is as impressive as the skinning!
You really researched this one.
Everyone--including you, did fine work here.

One tiny point: the canopy looks blocky. Did the 3dz run out of elements?
Not your fault in any case, David. Your work is great. thumbsup

#2679433 - 02/25/09 01:14 AM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Wudpecker]  
MadProf Offline
MadProf  Offline

U.S.A.
Sky,
Another fine looking Mustang, as always. Job well done. winner

cheers
MadProf

The better part of valour, is discretion. William Shakespeare
#2679461 - 02/25/09 02:10 AM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: MadProf]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
David,

Look around your hard drive. I sent you an updated model with all the R/S problems fixed and a better canopy too. it's 100% compatible with your skins.

If you can't find it, I'll send it to you.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#2679873 - 02/25/09 04:53 PM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Rotton50]  
Skylark Offline
Old Timer's Club Member
Skylark  Offline
Old Timer's Club Member
Hotshot

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi Guys, thanks for the comments .... much appreciated. wave

Hi Nate,
Someone was doing a revised upgraded HRP51D, may have been Col.Gibbons, but I'm not sure if it was an early or late model 'D'.
The modding for this early 'D' model skin was done prehaps four or five years ago...
It was based on the original HR P51D created by 'Chompy' and 'Salty'.....

Hi Wuddy,
Part of what I enjoy about skinning these Warbirds is the time spent resourcing their history.
Most of my skins have historical note references in the attached 'readme' file...

Hi Jeff,
Considering your own graphic expertize that's high praise indeed...thanks notworthy

Hi Ray,
I'll send you an email about that issue... mycomputer

Last edited by Skylark; 02/25/09 04:57 PM.

Winston Churchill

#2679940 - 02/25/09 05:54 PM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Skylark]  
Col.J.D.Landers Offline
Col.J.D.Landers  Offline

London, England.
Hi David,

Yep, very familiar with that great HR model. Have all metal blanks (just insignia) of that set saved somewhere of early D-5 versions, and later (with and without tail fillets) and open exhaust stacks and closed, and with rear views and without. Chompey & Salty did a real number on that one. Was a beaut' to work with...and I learned to skin with it, thanks mainly to some brilliant and very patient tuition from Chompo!

The other HR P-51D model stalled and burned, never to be rectified it seems. Shame, because as with many of the new innovations Gibbo' has come up with over the years, that was a class apart!

In the meantime, thought you might appreciate this little gem from the collection of the late and very great Merle Olmstead. He was an engineer with the 357th, and took a huge library of pictures of the 357th throughout the war. He sadley passed last year, but was generous enough to share a large number of those images with me. He was a great man, and his legacy of images now sits with the 8th AF Museum. Anyway, this is a very very rare shot of your fine plane....taken in the 5 day period it looked like this. That's Peterson flying her on only her 3rd run out, and she has no nose-art yet, complete olive drab and grey finish, and white ' C ' designation on the side. No kills marks either. Just thought you would appreciate a looksee smile

cheers

“The temptation to form premature theories upon insufficient data is the bane of our profession.” - Sherlock Holmes
#2680590 - 02/26/09 02:23 PM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Col.J.D.Landers]  
Skylark Offline
Old Timer's Club Member
Skylark  Offline
Old Timer's Club Member
Hotshot

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi Nate,
That's a really interesting pic...

Nice to see the 'C' model and 'D' model in the same formation.
You can really see the way the airframe was altered between them
to accomodate the installation of that 'Bubble Canopy'

It's also interesting to note that both models in this formation
are all still completely painted with the two colour camo...

Thanks for share this one....

Cheers mate
David

Winston Churchill

#2680628 - 02/26/09 03:08 PM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Skylark]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
I'm impressed, again, keep raising the bar. winner

#2681264 - 02/27/09 01:17 PM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: iron mike]  
Col.J.D.Landers Offline
Col.J.D.Landers  Offline

London, England.
FYI - This is a nice article on 'kiting it out' with ' H H H '.

There's a nose art 'grab' there, and a great view of the side profile. Call me an 'old rivet counter' (or anything else to be honest LOL), but the 'D-Days' are out. Still doesn't detract from fantastic job though David!

It still amazes me that these millionaires, with their expensive P-51 toys flying around, can spend out all that money and the two P-51's that have flown in recent years with 'H H H ' markings were never given the attention to get the markings historically right. Even the one flying today has the wrong nose art, in the wrong colour, and the wrong size.

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/us/acostap51dc.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/us/acosta51d.htm&usg=__5sQqDDG1ns3uqGD44_u03gdEzak=&h=226&w=500&sz=31&hl=en&start=14&um=1&tbnid=pU8sS1FZetmjhM:&tbnh=59&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DHurry%2BHome%2BHoney%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

#2681849 - 02/28/09 04:09 AM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Col.J.D.Landers]  
Skylark Offline
Old Timer's Club Member
Skylark  Offline
Old Timer's Club Member
Hotshot

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi Nate,

Nice links .... thanks

I know about the inconsistencies in my skin compared with the real H.H.H.
Unfortunately the EAW 3d modeling of the P51D doesn't match that of the real H.H.H.
So yes, the rightness of the 'D-Days' isn't correct.
The 'hose-art' could be a lot better too but the pixel limitations
work against creating such delicate text styles....
I think the best that can be said about developing skins for EAW
is that you have to 'work with what you've got'. banghead

I also noticed that reference materials don't always concur either.
My reference material shows H.H.H. with all-metal wings while
the model kit in your supplied link show H.H.H. with Olive Drab painted wings. rolleyes

Inconsistencies, variations, limitations.....sort of a reflected on life, isn't it! WinkNGrin

Cheers mate thumbsup
David

Winston Churchill

#2682135 - 02/28/09 06:55 PM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Skylark]  
vonOben Offline
vonOben  Offline

Skåne, Sweden
Hi David

Excellent skin as always smile

Cheers

vonOben

Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren. /Johann Gottfried Seume

vonOben's Flight Sim Mods

EAW Newbie Tutorial

Finnish Air War
#2683930 - 03/03/09 12:09 PM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Wudpecker]  
Chompy Offline
Chompy  Offline

Wharminda, Sth Australia
Great skin Skylark - very well painted and researched!

Originally Posted By: Wudpecker

One tiny point: the canopy looks blocky. Did the 3dz run out of elements?

No - the modder just ran out of the required skills biggrin . This was my first HR fighter attempt and at the time was something fairly new to EAW. Once could say I bit off more than I could chew. If I was doing it again I'd certainly clean up the canopy amongst other things, but back in 2002 (man, was it really that long ago?!) I thought it was good enough. Amazing how things change with time and experience, eh?!

It does bring back some great memories though - madly modding, constantly swapping the latest files with Salty, and being dazzled by the amazing skins he was coming up with.

Great to hear that you've fixed those issues and added the flaps Ray! Looking forward to giving the new model a workout with this skin.

Chompy.

#2683945 - 03/03/09 12:49 PM Re: Capt.Peterson's Early Production P51D "Hurry Home Honey" [Re: Chompy]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Chompy,

I fixed the R/S problems around the cockpit using the old piggyback method, now considered a sacrilege since we have the tools to build planes with proper R\S. It's amazing you pioneers got the planes as good as you did with the tools that were available to you. We thank you for your efforts.

The model has provided a wealth of material for us modders. There is a P-51H and G plus a model of the British proposed mid-engine variant with working contra-rotating props.

Also, Skylark and I collaborated on an A-36 derivative that even has working dive brakes.

I made a functioning flight model for the A-36 by defining the plane as twin engined. The the dive brakes activate with the second engine switch.

Come in over the target at 10,000 feet and 200 MPH, activate the dive brakes (turn off engine 2) and you can stay in a controlled dive at about 350 MPH.

It's also one of the few models that have cockpit viewable moving bits since the upper dive brakes are visible.

The A-36 and P-51B also have opening canopies. Alas, the bubble canopy has insurmountable R\S problems in the open position so that's off the table.

Funny though, in all that time I didn't think to upgrade the canopy glass. It would be an honor to do so. I'll add it to the to-do list now that you want to go fly it.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.