Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 71 of 71 1 2 69 70 71
#3925581 - 03/16/14 03:17 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' ***** [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
thumbsup thumbsup

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3926680 - 03/18/14 10:01 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
PeterMBooth Offline
PeterMBooth  Offline

Pontypridd, South Wales,UK
Hi,

Are my eyes deceiving me or does the Albatros DII have "V" Struts and a headrest? More like an early DV/Va. Like the few remaining EAW veterans I am awaiting this scenario with barely controlled interest and am more that appreciative of the work the surviving members have put in, but am increasingly concerned that it may never happen! As with my relationship with the original SAW quite a few years ago I know that there comes a point when it should be released even if all the fine details are not as yet complete - perfection takes too long and minor add-ons/improvements can always be added later!

I do not know how accurate the screen a few posts ago was but the "German" planes shown on that were heavy on fighters and light on reconnaissance B and C types. The inclusion of the Albatros DIV seems pointless to me as according to my sources only 1 was built as a prototype to test the geared Mercedes 6 cylinder engine, and it was never even fitted with armament as the performance showed no improvement on the DIII. A CIII would be far more relevant to my mind - if it is indeed included I apologize. I am reluctant to criticize this project as I know quite a few people have spent enormous amounts of time on it but it seems to be developing without any real control or sense of urgency, which could be fatal. There comes a time when a line should be drawn and the product released, perfect or not, I think that time has come.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited by PeterMBooth; 03/19/14 10:42 PM.

With increasing age should come wisdom and tolerance, but as the saying goes, "there is no fool like an old fool" as I prove regularly!

#3929686 - 03/25/14 11:47 AM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
FM,s were the next big step if I remember correctly...

#3929712 - 03/25/14 01:40 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
IN MY OPINION -- ( this is an important phrase, so no flames OK? I'm just trying to add a dose of reality, not offend anyone.)

This post started in February, 2009, over five yeas ago.

It has over 40 pages of pretty pictures and 1,400,904 views and it's all for naught. It might be the biggest bag of "nothing" ever foisted on a flight sim community.

I hate to be the messenger of bad news but, sorry folks, this is never going to see the light of day as a fully functional scenario. There aren't enough modders left to get this off the ground. Yes, pun intended, as one of the big stumbling blocks will be the flight models.

You know, it saddens me every time I see this post updated as I think of all the lost man hours spent trying to convert the best WWII flight sim into a WWI flight sim when we have a massive amount of work to do upgrading good, solid WWII scenarios to the 1.4 exec standards.

Be that said, we're all hobbyists so we follow our own passions. If this means that some guys want to soldier on with this conversion then so be it.

Again, I just feel that I have to point out the obvious. Please don't be offended.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#3929744 - 03/25/14 02:57 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
MrJelly Online tunes
Veteran
MrJelly  Online Tunes
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
If I recall correctly I raised the issue re-flight models with Jan Tuma years ago, and was told quite sternly that there was no need to worry.

A few months ago FlyRight raised the issue that there was still nothing to release after all this time and effort. That is why I cobbled together what we now have for TWF in the 1.40 install so that people could see the skins and the screens and fly a plane with the available FMs. We tried it online at GameRanger, but most of the FMs were ridiculous, with WW1 planes flying at close to 300 mph, and we do not bother with it anymore.

It shows that it is now impossible to build a credible new scenario with planes for which there are no similar FMs to tweak a little. Fortunately we have a fairly extensive collection of WWII planes.

frown

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#3929782 - 03/25/14 04:42 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
AngleOff Offline
AngleOff  Offline

PA., USA
Well, I have managed to get about 15 planes at approximately their correct speed.
I can get a good steady climbrate....but they bleed too much speed while climbing
and diving...lets say you gained a little speed in a shallow dive then start climbing...
the speed drops back to your climb rate way too fast.
Diving, they can get to about 150-160 mph, but then start slowly slowing down.

I cant get the bombers to act correctly at all. I can get them to take off and climb at
their correct speeds....even turn pretty decent.....but they cant get off the runway with
a bombload without increasing power and/or lift and other factors.

The FM flight files do not work exactly to the specifications. Although you may have the weight,
power, lift, etc. to specs, it may still not get off the ground unless you lighten the plane,
or give it more power than it specifies. And the wing-area formula is very hard to crack.

Sometimes it seems as though the EXE and the FM files were not made to function with planes that
can only fly 60 to 120 mph.
It would be great to have an FM editor where you could just punch in the specs and stats and WALLA!
But alas..........sigh

I would like to ask Sandbagger how they did the FM's for OFF, and is there any way they could be incorporated
here? But OFF is a very different sim....graphically and everything else...quite beautiful really.
(Maybe we should all just fly OFF if we want some WWI action.hahaha)

But I truly hate to see Flying Tiger's gorgeous multiskins go to waste....The only true FM maker we have is
Ralf, and unfortunately (Fortunately?) he is immersed in real-life. I dont blame him at all... thumbsup

So, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place unless someone else can jump into FM building for us.

AO

#3929848 - 03/25/14 06:51 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: AngleOff]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Originally Posted By: AngleOff
Maybe we should all just fly OFF if we want some WWI action.hahahaAO

This!

#3931543 - 03/28/14 11:10 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Rotton50]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted By: Rotton50
Originally Posted By: AngleOff
Maybe we should all just fly OFF if we want some WWI action.hahahaAO

This!

In fact, I would go further and recommend Wings Over Flanders Fields. WOFF is OFF brought to near perfection. Or there is First Eagles which has somewhat of an EAW pedigree.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 03/28/14 11:12 PM.
#3935325 - 04/06/14 08:16 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
PeterMBooth Offline
PeterMBooth  Offline

Pontypridd, South Wales,UK
Hi Guys,

So the problem as I understand it is the FM's - a bit like my beloved Hampden which will probably never happen now. However, unlike WWI aircraft there are FM's for aircraft fairly similar to the Hampden - Ju88 for example, but the WWI aircraft have radically different performance which could prove impossible to model. Regrettably it seems my comments were fairly accurate and I find myself agreeing with Ray, which does not always happen. Ray - are FM included with your Hudson, Maryland and Baltimore models?

Cheers,

Pete

With increasing age should come wisdom and tolerance, but as the saying goes, "there is no fool like an old fool" as I prove regularly!

#3935566 - 04/07/14 12:21 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Peter,

I'm hip deep in a couple of projects.

One is a huge target upgrade for the default EAW world.and the other is assisting Jel with straightening our the weapons and loadouts of SPAW to work with the 1.4 exec.

Oddly enough I've had some downtime the last couple of days due to some technical issues that Jel has to address so I took a look at the Hudson model. The model is complete but as you might recall Iron Mike walked away from the skinning on that model because there are some unresolved problems for Glide users that cause some elements to reverse the texture. This causes the bottom of wings to display on the top and vice versa.

I have his 2/3 completed skin but I don't have the talent to finish it. I do have a finished skin for the Hudson that isn't as good as his skin but it's good enough for release.

Once I get the weapons project on course I will try to make time to get familiar with the new flight model set up and learn the new editing protocols. I can then make flight models for the planes.

And you are correct, making WWII flight models for a WWII game is a lot easier than WWI flight models for a WWII game.

I truly wish this project would wither on the vine. It was ill conceived from the get go.

Page 71 of 71 1 2 69 70 71

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.