Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 56 of 71 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 70 71
#3518042 - 02/13/12 11:47 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' ***** [Re: MrJelly]  
Flying Tiger Offline
Flying Tiger  Offline

Geelong . Australia
ta jel...got it all, will get the overalls on!

thumbsup

Flying Tiger
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3518242 - 02/14/12 09:16 AM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
PM replied to with more info smile

wink Jel

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#3522328 - 02/19/12 08:28 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Col.J.D.Landers Offline
Col.J.D.Landers  Offline

London, England.
If this is old news to people here apologies, but I thought it was a really superb site by some of the brethrin! smile

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/aircraft/albatros-dva/notes-flying-d-va

Can see some very familiar schemes there.....and really decent dial shots.

Cheers

Col.

“The temptation to form premature theories upon insufficient data is the bane of our profession.” - Sherlock Holmes
#3522482 - 02/20/12 01:20 AM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Col.J.D.Landers]  
Flying Tiger Offline
Flying Tiger  Offline

Geelong . Australia
yeah...great site nate...wealth of info...
ta for the spread m8...

sags

wondering if poss.. somewhere down the track, if u could
convert you're Euro Summer Terrain (Version 1) used in
Western Front, to a Mild Winter look?

stickin' to the same terrain set would have distinct
advantages for the 2 seasons in game....

pic shows max's practical mild look with a light dusting of
snow allowing terrain features to show through,but giving
a great winter feel...

pobs...any progress with the 2 test airfields m8?

reading

Flying Tiger
#3522977 - 02/20/12 09:57 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Flying Tiger Offline
Flying Tiger  Offline

Geelong . Australia
reading

Flying Tiger
#3523559 - 02/21/12 06:56 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Pobs Offline
Hotshot
Pobs  Offline
Hotshot

North Wales, UK
Hi Ade.

Set up a new copy of the editor with the target files from your beta set to do your two bases, but the target set is a mess to be honest with multiple bases having the same names ( specifically there are at least 2 St Omers !!) and no geographical sense to any of them as far as I can make out, so I will clean up a set of working files from my current setup and do the bases on those...it won't be perfect but if I move all the bases onshore at least you can fly them to test the airfields...

cheers,

Pobs

#3523752 - 02/21/12 11:19 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Pobs]  
Flying Tiger Offline
Flying Tiger  Offline

Geelong . Australia
pobs...

the target files in the beta version of the game sent to ya
before christmas, are your early work on the airfields (airfield.dat,
griddata.dat, tardata.dat, target.dat and tarnames.str) including
the placement of beta tent hangars.....

now needin' the new 4 tile layout with tmods placed as per the mock
up sent which includes parked planes, tent hangars etc...for one allied
and one german air field....

Flying Tiger
#3523761 - 02/21/12 11:32 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Pobs Offline
Hotshot
Pobs  Offline
Hotshot

North Wales, UK
Ade,

yeah, they were a pretty early beta smile

I will fix you up a better set and do you the two fields you want now I have the editor up and working properly again smile , I just didn't want to screw up the WIP target files by using the same setup to make you a one-off setup on the same version of the editor only to find I had lost the work I was doing on the main set.... I am a little unsure exactly how the editor is saving the tfl files and dont want any overwritten. Watch your emails tomorrow smile

cheers,

Pobs

#3524124 - 02/22/12 03:52 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
sagginb Offline
sagginb  Offline

Maine, US
Hello Ade

1st...maybe this is the spot to say this...Max's mild winter terrain using the original tiles...(IMO)is the best set of terrain tiles for all sets ever in EAW! I hold this to be a very special set in my collection and love it to this day. I am not sure I could do a set so nice (or even reproduce)...I look at his work often. (again...imo)

I am about half way through (30 tiles complete) a winter terrain using 512x512 tiles to go with the Euro-512 sets already released. I will also be doing a 8 bit 256x256 as well. It is not really "mild" but will have a bit more color in it than most "winter" sets (not including max's mild set).(but I hope not too much..I want it to look cold still)
I will be putting some pics of this terrain up soon (to get thoughts and opinions)...maybe when I stop changing things with it..hahaha.
After that is done I got some "alt" version with all these 512 terrains I want to fix/change/upgrade that during work said was just good enough (for now)plus with forum feedback I got some better/new ideas to use as well. My point is why not use these new sets for "The Western Front" so we could use it in both 8 bit or 24 bit versions..I would be happy to edit this new terrain in any way needed...add the trench area plus any other edits. I would rather use/edit this new set of 512/256 tiles I am working on now than go back to a 256 only set and work on a set using that older terrain...this new terrain is in fact more of a updated version of that same older terrain....this was more what I was looking for when I made that set like 10 years ago.

Just a thought..let me know what you and others think.

SAG...
#3524403 - 02/22/12 11:23 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: sagginb]  
Flying Tiger Offline
Flying Tiger  Offline

Geelong . Australia
thanks sags...

yep..max's mild is one my favorite terrains too..

the main reason i've decided to use your euro summer version 1
was that it conjured up sparse roads and habitation in keeping
with an authentic look for 1914-18.....as distinct from your
earlier blended versions which show a busier landscape in keeping
with the 40's.

did'nt realise you were half way into a winter set at this stage,
which pretty much answers my request above...point taken re
using your new 8/24 sets for WF, and yes to editing for the
addition of the trenches, new airfields, harbours etc...

more power to ya, look forward to seeing the pics m8...

thumbsup

Flying Tiger
#3524413 - 02/22/12 11:43 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi Ade.

I've nearly broken the back of the Gladiator model, and unpicking the model and rebuilding it so I can get a fully working RS, has not taken too long.

I've been thinking about having a go at one of the WWI models, but I thought I'd let you choose which model to do. Which model has the most glitches? or if they are all about the same, which are going to be the most popular?

I will point out at this stage that I will almost certainly have to totally remap the model, because of the odd way Jan's models are put together.

Supports EAW 1.29.exe, Drop in and Play Technology. wink

1.29 download
#3524825 - 02/23/12 05:28 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
FlyRight Offline
FlyRight  Offline

New Jersey-US of A
albatros'!!! that would fix over a dozen of Tumas shapes that share the exact same 3dz...except, retain his type of spinning props! my 2cts exitstageleft

#3524839 - 02/23/12 06:06 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi FlyRight.

If I do that one, will you be able to rework the other models from it?

This was Jan's model before I started

I've remapped everything on the Gladiator model so 512x512 and 256x256 can be used, to my system. A=L Tail, B=R Tail C=Gear, E=L Wing, F=Cockpit, G=R Wing.

Starting from my revamped model, it should be easier to develop other models, and if you get stuck, Fixing it should be relatively easy.

Last edited by Col. Gibbon; 02/23/12 06:11 PM.

1.29 download
#3524982 - 02/23/12 10:44 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
FlyRight Offline
FlyRight  Offline

New Jersey-US of A
i take it by your meaning of "you" that wasn't a retorical question! you actually mean if I could do that, yes i could! or somebody with the same basic knowledge but with more spare time than me, so the accurate question is if i would???...problem is i have too much unfinished and new stuff on my plate..

and then what of its new pcxs??? that'll make every camo Ade did now obsolete but if you still rework an albatros go with the late-AlbD5a as the base for the rest and if for no other reason repair it for the wings, they look frightful anyway...

Btw Col! what happen to your DH2??? can i get it from somewhere even if you don't have the dist-view 3dzs done...thanks in advance!

#3525003 - 02/23/12 11:24 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi FlyRight.

The problem with the old PCX files is they simply can't work with a properly built 3dz. Jan used one PCX for the whole top wing, and then another Two for the Left and Right lower wings. The wings have to be built in one section, Left and Right, and have a Left and Right texture. Then the Prop and cowl is mapped to the Tex, which I can add to the PEX, which frees up space on the TEX so the whole model can be higher resolution. I know Ade has turned out loads of nice skins for these flawed models, but if you want the models to work properly, then you simply have to except the reworking of the skins.

So, what do I do?

1.29 download
#3525250 - 02/24/12 02:09 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi FlyRight.

I forgot to mention the DH-2. It's nearly a runner, but there needs to be all the other models made for it. I can email you a copy later today.

I feel a bit strange about the whole of Jan's work. What I mean is, it's not normally my place to criticize other people's work, and you have to credit Jan for building most of Ade's WWI models. I did try on several occasions to try and nudge him into building models with a correct RS. Sadly, he did not consider the RS to be worth fixing properly, and there fore we find ourselves at this point, where we have a large number of flawed models, which work OK'ish in D3D but look terrible in Glide.

As a lot of people use Glide to run EAW, we really can't, I think, ignore them.

If we took this on as a joint project, I fix them, you mod them into other similar models, we might be able to fix most of the popular aircraft.

At least the SE5a, Dr1, and DH-2 will be OK, but all of the others will need fixing. I'm getting close to finishing the Gladiator model, with only adding the gear, boring mapping to do, and some string to add!

I guess another week should see it finished, so by then it would be good to have a plan of action ready. I need to grab materials for each type we do, and convert it into base textures for the fixed models, which does take time, as you know. wink

BTW FlyRight. How's the Horten I did for you? You've not mentioned it for a while now, and I did spend quite a bit of time on it.

Hi Ade.

Please chip in on this topic. I know it will make a lot of your older skins obsolete, but the end result will be much better, but it's up to you mate. All i want to do is help.

Last edited by Col. Gibbon; 02/24/12 02:14 PM.

1.29 download
#3525349 - 02/24/12 04:02 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
FlyRight Offline
FlyRight  Offline

New Jersey-US of A
its still too much work and without the help of clones because nobody else is going to help either, besides Ade was only asking if there was an easy fix for the undercarriage anyway and apparently theres not...

not to mention as with the 3dzs all of those wwi craft are a mapping mess!!! the reason i steered away converting any to bitmaps...a long ways back i posted some initial test with that appplication but was too painfull a process to consider taking on at that time...remapping every craft wasn't my idea of fun.

i rather use what lttle time a project like this would drain of me to finish that Horten, if it wasn't for those 800+ elements i've been chewing on to convert it to 512 Bmp texture...just got my eye twitching again wacky

but am going to get to it plus theres also a series of semi-finished He177 variants in various stages and so on as with wwi mods...i bounce back and forth to avoid the boredom of working on the same thing all the time!!! - cheers

#3525369 - 02/24/12 04:36 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

OK FlyRight.

I totally understand mate. Best to keep chugging along with your projects and get them finished.

BTW, to convert a skin to 512x512 no mapping changes are needed. All you do is resize a 256x256 skin, to 512x512, and repaint it at the higher res. The mapping remains the same. wink

Could I ask you, if you'd lay off your Camel project. I'll give you mine once it's finished, and it will be fully up to date, with a 512x512 base skin.

1.29 download
#3525634 - 02/24/12 10:24 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
FlyRight Offline
FlyRight  Offline

New Jersey-US of A
i didn't know you were still doing a sopwith camel...but all thats left with my hacked sopwith is to remap the wings again, which got sidetracked when i put in a 3D pilot window within the mainwing after the fact, transparency free now...it didn't look right using that shortcut!!!

then theres some other variants from which that sopwith shape has been prepped for, except that naval triplane! you're more than welcome to tackle that one anytime!!!

am probably going to do just that for Hortens 512 format, be easier than combining pcxs, it was just because theres no profile, could fit the whole wing on one large pcx...

...these post may as well double now as my pending WIP projects with some newer ones over at the other board WinkNGrin

#3525695 - 02/24/12 11:58 PM Re: EAW 'The Western Front' [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi FlyRight.,

I've not done any work on my Sopwith Camel, since we discussed the matter on the GEN, but in light of the problems with the biplane models, it seems a bit pointless posting any others, based on problematic models.

With a good Camel model some new Neuport's can be easily built, plus the Snipe, which are all generally the same shape. wink

1.29 download
Page 56 of 71 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 70 71

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.