Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2674286 - 02/17/09 04:20 AM Win7 draconian DRM surfaces.  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://slashdot.org/~TechForensics

Quote:
A few days' testing of Windows 7 has already disclosed some draconian DRM, some unrelated to media files. A legitimate copy of Photoshop CS4 stopped functioning after we clobberred a nagging registration screen by replacing a .dll with a hacked version. That's not so much a surprise, but what WAS a surprise: Noting that Win7 allows programs like Photoshop to stealthily insert themselves in your firewall exception list. Further, that the OS is crippled towards allowing large software vendors to penetrate your machine. Even further, that that crippling is responsible for disabling of a program based on a modified .dll. Remote attestation, anyone? And then finding that the OS even after reboot has locked you out of your own Local Settings folder; has denied you permission to move or delete the modified DLL; and refuses to allow the replacement of the Local Settings folder after it is unlocked with Unlocker to move it to the Desktop for examination (where it also denies you entry to your own folder). Setting permissions to "allow everyone" was disabled!

So this means if I have a problem with a DRM system on a legit copy of a game and I try to get a noCD patch to play it, the system will lock me out of my own files?

Quote:
The days of capturing an audio program on your PC are gone if the program originated on your PC. The inputs of your sound card are severely degraded in software if the card is also playing an audio program (tested here with Grooveshark). Under XP you could select "Stereo Mix" or similar under audio recording inputs and nicely capture any program then playing. Microsoft appears to be pandering to Big Music for its own reasons unrelated to consumer satisfaction. This may be the tip of the iceberg. Something *really nasty* is lurking under the surface of Win7. Being in bed with the RIAA is bad enough, but locking your own files away from you is a device so outrageous it may kill the OS for many persons.

Just gets better and better no doubt. nope

©2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2674292 - 02/17/09 04:34 AM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

That is extremely disappointing. The Audio thing is bad enough but if they are trying to lock out dll files from programs then that is almost a deal breaker.

The more I read about win7 the less I look forward to it.

#2674302 - 02/17/09 04:59 AM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: Master]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Heh, if true... what a mess.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#2674305 - 02/17/09 05:13 AM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: adlabs6]  
Rilex Offline
Rilex  Offline

Washington
I hope you guys like salt. That "artricle" is awfully grainy.

#2674458 - 02/17/09 02:21 PM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: Rilex]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Bledfin
Unregistered

it really isn't worthwhile to progress beyond Windows 2000 SP4 (im not really keen on WinXP sp3 either) using windows.

much better to go from win2k sp4 straight to puppy linux or maybe ubuntu.

the things is, Win7 is bound to have been designed with adobe and other big software houses to allow them to have massive copy protection, including cripplign copying of sound and video. The p[rotection will be stealthy and hidden - for example, Adobe Acrobat v8+ under Win2k already does things to your registry and contacts Adobe in really intrusive ways. The result of this is to actually allow hackers
to use Adobe to cripple your machine.

Adboe Acrobat and suite is now the No1 and major backdoor for hackers to enter your system - simply because Adobe is designed to penetrae Windows completely. Hackers just use its intrusive code as a free ride to go straight to the heart of your system.

Last edited by Bledfin; 02/17/09 04:23 PM.
#2674466 - 02/17/09 02:37 PM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: ]  
Rilex Offline
Rilex  Offline

Washington
Lol...uh what?

#2674479 - 02/17/09 03:02 PM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: ]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Originally Posted By: Bledfin
it really isn't worthwhile to progress beyond Windows 2000 SP4 (im not really keen on WinXP sp3 either) using windows.

much better to go from win2k sp4 straight to puppy linux or maybe ubuntu.

the things is, Win7 is bound to have been designed with abode and other big software houses to allow them to have massive copy protection, including cripplign copying of sound and video. The p[rotection will be stealthy and hidden - for example, Adobe Acrobat v8+ under Win2k already does things to your registry and contacts Adobe in really intrusive ways. The result of this is to actually allow hackers
to use Adobe to cripple your machine.

Adboe Acrobat and suite is now the No1 and major backdoor for hackers to enter your system - simply because Adobe is designed to penetrae Windows completely. Hackers just use its intrusive code as a free ride to go straight to the heart of your system.

What in the world are you talking about?

This is the most completely ridiculous thing you have yet posted, and you've posted plenty.

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#2674480 - 02/17/09 03:05 PM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Originally Posted By: Desert Eagle
http://slashdot.org/~TechForensics

Quote:
A few days' testing of Windows 7 has already disclosed some draconian DRM, some unrelated to media files. A legitimate copy of Photoshop CS4 stopped functioning after we clobberred a nagging registration screen by replacing a .dll with a hacked version. That's not so much a surprise, but what WAS a surprise: Noting that Win7 allows programs like Photoshop to stealthily insert themselves in your firewall exception list. Further, that the OS is crippled towards allowing large software vendors to penetrate your machine. Even further, that that crippling is responsible for disabling of a program based on a modified .dll. Remote attestation, anyone? And then finding that the OS even after reboot has locked you out of your own Local Settings folder; has denied you permission to move or delete the modified DLL; and refuses to allow the replacement of the Local Settings folder after it is unlocked with Unlocker to move it to the Desktop for examination (where it also denies you entry to your own folder). Setting permissions to "allow everyone" was disabled!

So this means if I have a problem with a DRM system on a legit copy of a game and I try to get a noCD patch to play it, the system will lock me out of my own files?

Quote:
The days of capturing an audio program on your PC are gone if the program originated on your PC. The inputs of your sound card are severely degraded in software if the card is also playing an audio program (tested here with Grooveshark). Under XP you could select "Stereo Mix" or similar under audio recording inputs and nicely capture any program then playing. Microsoft appears to be pandering to Big Music for its own reasons unrelated to consumer satisfaction. This may be the tip of the iceberg. Something *really nasty* is lurking under the surface of Win7. Being in bed with the RIAA is bad enough, but locking your own files away from you is a device so outrageous it may kill the OS for many persons.

Just gets better and better no doubt. nope

I think you should really consider the source on this one... Win 7 does absolutely NOTHING like that. No such code is included.

I would like to see that error reproduced. I've done this with CS4 and Acrobat 9, and no such thing happens.

Sounds like pure Anti-MS/Anti-Windows fear mongering to me. Rubbish.

-Skater

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#2674583 - 02/17/09 05:25 PM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: Skater]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Thanks for the info Skater.

BTW, can you comment on the stereo mix functionality? I know this limitation can be due to hardware (or at least it's drivers) as I've seen this feature come and go in WinXP through different sound cards.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#2674599 - 02/17/09 05:54 PM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: adlabs6]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Yeah, Slashdot is not known for their love of Windows. Plus, I assume they are using a beta, and it's possible some things are in the beta for testing purposes that won't be in the final.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#2674642 - 02/17/09 07:23 PM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: Arthonon]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Adlabs, stereo mix is primarily a function of the driver set. There is really no change from XP/Server 2K3/Vista/Server 2K8. If your driver set allows for it, it will be there.

-Skater

#2674669 - 02/17/09 08:15 PM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: Skater]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I'm playing Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 with a no-DVD "patch" and lots of modified files for team uniforms with no problems.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#2675060 - 02/18/09 11:19 AM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: Arthonon]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
I buy all my games (really!) but use a no-cd or no-dvd crack wherever possible because I don't like swapping disks all the time! My disks are all locked away, safely stored.
So I hope it isn't true what they say, otherwise it's gonna be a no-go for me and Windows 7.
Best regards, Kodiak.

I Want To Believe
#2675100 - 02/18/09 01:38 PM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: Kodiak]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Don't worry Kodiak... It's completely untrue.

-Skater

#2675171 - 02/18/09 03:13 PM Re: Win7 draconian DRM surfaces. [Re: Skater]  
TooCool_12f Offline
TooCool_12f  Offline

moving around europe...
considering the "audio mix stuff", if I'm not mistaken, already in Vista, the software layer comes above the hardware which is not accessible directly to the drivers...

There was a lot of comments about it when Creative made their X-Fi cards with plenty of hardware acceleration capabilities and which were simply unavailable through vista which did all the sound stuff in software mode...

I have been out of software discussions for some time, and don't know if anything chenged, but that was one of the complaints ofter read about vista, as far as sound editing and gaming were concerned

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.