Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2645599 - 01/03/09 11:29 AM Black Shark - War (Part 2)  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Continued from http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2645589.html#Post2645589

Looking back on it, it seems impossible to believe that all of this had happened before Grigory and I had even fired our first shots. Nevertheless, we'd only just finished setting up for our own attack by the time the final F-16 departed the area.

With our first set of targets logged into the ABRIS and our Shkvals slaved to their targets, it was our turn. My first Vikhr left its tube...

The missile ripped through the air enroute to its target...

...and with a deafening blast, I had my first kill of the night.

---------
Pizzicato
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2645600 - 01/03/09 11:29 AM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Meanwhile, Grigory was making life difficult for himself. In an effort to reposition himself for a good shot, he'd inadvertently come within range of the Georgian air defences. His training kicked in immediately and he began throwing out flares as he maneuvered himself into a safer position.

The first I knew of his plight was when a stream of flares caught my eye as I was lining up my next target.

Thanks to his skillful response to the situation, Grigory managed to safely exit the engagement envelope and headed back to form up with me again.

My next shot was already out of the tube by the time Grigory was back alongside me.

---------
Pizzicato
#2645601 - 01/03/09 11:29 AM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
By now, the flames from the target area could be seen for miles around.

I was suddenly aware that I'd been hovering in one place for far too long.

Hovering over a populated area is never a good idea at the best of times. All it takes is one guy in a 4x4 with an RPG or high calibre machine gun and you're screwed. That being the case, I decided to relocate to a new firing position.

My secondary goal was to line up a neat row of supply trucks for a strafing pass with rockets. This was the start of my night's big mistake. A mistake that was to cost Grigory his life.

As I repositioned, I rifled off the last of my Vikhrs, taking out a couple of tanks in the process.

---------
Pizzicato
#2645602 - 01/03/09 11:30 AM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
After a few minutes, I'd finally lined everything up as I wanted it.

I made my run, but missed hopelessly with my rockets. Worse still, my initial reconnaissance had missed a Shilka just to the south of the target area. The Shilka didn't miss me, though.

As I dived away with my tail between my legs, Grigory lowered his nose and flew straight through the hail of tracers, unleashing a Vikhr as he went.

Shack!

Once more, Grigory had saved my life.

---------
Pizzicato
#2645603 - 01/03/09 11:30 AM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
We circled around for another pass, but it appeared that we still hadn't cleared out all of the opposition.

Without warning, a sudden flash alerted me to a missile launch.

I stepped on the rudder and pushed the nose around. I can't describe my relief as the missile went wild and streaked harmlessly past my starboard side.

I continued my turn and dived in on the errant BTR. I locked it up with my Shkval and began pouring armour-piercing rounds into its hull.

---------
Pizzicato
#2645604 - 01/03/09 11:30 AM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
And then it happened...

I was looking across the circle as Grigory made his own approach when he flew directly into a burst of fire from the armoured vehicle below.

---------
Pizzicato
#2645605 - 01/03/09 11:31 AM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
I went numb.

I somehow managed to take out the last couple of trucks at the depot, but I honestly don't remember doing it. It was only the debrief by the FAC that finally convinced me. It was just a sickening, gut-wrenching blur.

Worse still, I knew that I'd taken some damage and the helicopter was handling really badly. I was also concerned that my extended stay on station had seriously depleted my fuel. If any of the hits had caused me to leak even more, I was screwed.

My hands turned the helicopter towards home, but my mind was a million miles away.

The flight home reminded me of my fear of hours earlier. Somehow, crossing the mountains at night didn't seem so bad anymore - even in a badly damaged aircraft. All that I could think of was Grigory and how my determination to complete the mission had cost him his life.

As night fell, the sense of isolation was as calming as it was painful. The sense of guilt and loss was almost too great to understand in the accepted sense.

---------
Pizzicato
#2645606 - 01/03/09 11:31 AM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
In the end, the moon was my only companion on that long, lonely slog through the frigid mountain air.

The most beautiful sight you can ever imagine is that moment when you ask for clearance to land in the pitch black of night and see the lights at the FARP's landing pads light up in answer. It was sickening to think that only one of the pads would find an owner tonight, though.

It was only having landed and shut down the aircraft I began to realise just how lucky I'd been. The engine cowling and port winglet were utterly riddled with bullet holes. I could barely believe that the engine - the malfunctioning engine from earlier in the night - hadn't failed or burst into flames at some point over those desolate, endless mountains.

I should carry this on in the hopes of finding a fitting epitaph for Grigory, but I'm tired and drunk and depressed beyond words.

Perhaps it will all be clear in the morning, but I somehow doubt it. For the time being, I feel as though Grigory died for nothing and all that I have now is revenge.

Pray for me.

Your loving son,

Matysh

---------
Pizzicato
#2645613 - 01/03/09 12:09 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Obelix Offline
Obelix  Offline

Very, very nice series of AAR... if only I had the money (and the rig... and the time, patience and skill...) for Black Shark... sigh

Iwan "Obelix" Setyawan
#2645617 - 01/03/09 12:25 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Obelix]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: Obelix
Very, very nice series of AAR... if only I had the money (and the rig... and the time, patience and skill...) for Black Shark... sigh

I'm not sure what PC you have, but Black Shark is VERY frame-rate friendly. I'm running it on a P4 3.6Ghz machine with 2Gb RAM and an ATI Radeon 1900XT and I'm getting solid 25fps in the Deployment campaign. It's VERY playable.

Skill comes with time and experience.

Patience... only you can answer that one. biggrin

---------
Pizzicato
#2645621 - 01/03/09 12:58 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Hartford688 Offline
Hartford688  Offline

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Another excellent AAR - and a great story and writing. Thanks very much.

#2645631 - 01/03/09 01:52 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Cougar_DK Offline
Cougar_DK  Offline

Denmark, Farum
Thanks for the AAR, great read!

#2645632 - 01/03/09 01:56 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Cougar_DK]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Great AARs, Pizzicato! Thanks!

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#2645639 - 01/03/09 02:26 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Legend]  
Airway Offline
=FI=Squadron
Airway  Offline
=FI=Squadron

Germany
Very captivating and fascinating AAr there, Pizzicato !

Thank you - it's great !

#2645642 - 01/03/09 02:31 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Airway]  
thomeas Offline
thomeas  Offline

Grantham, UK
Your AAR's are great. Very atmospheric

Thanks!

#2645666 - 01/03/09 03:31 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Dusty Rhodes Offline
Hard, Fair, Play to WIN
Dusty Rhodes  Offline
Hard, Fair, Play to WIN

Southern Oregon
WOW, what a great read and illustration. Just nicely done! I look forward to reading more.

Remember to treat your new wingman as if he was your new younger brother. A team is built by mutual respect and admiration for each other in doing what needs to be done to get the job done and get home together. Your new wingy is not Grigory, so don't treat him as such. Treat him/her as if they need to be lead and protected as you did Grigory.

#%&*$#, I feel like I am writing you back for your father and mother.

Dusty Rhodes

Fight Fair! Fight to have fun! Fight to WIN!

Win 7 Pro, Intel i7 4790K OC'd to 4.6 Gigs, EVGA GTX Titan 6 GB Memory and ASUS GTX Titan 6 GB Memory, 32 Gigs Tri Channel Ballistix RAM, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and HOTAS Cougar, TrackIR 5, Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals
#2645688 - 01/03/09 04:18 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Dusty Rhodes]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Outstanding read and pics, thanks!

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2645764 - 01/03/09 06:58 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Dusty Rhodes]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: Dusty Rhodes
WOW, what a great read and illustration. Just nicely done! I look forward to reading more.

Remember to treat your new wingman as if he was your new younger brother. A team is built by mutual respect and admiration for each other in doing what needs to be done to get the job done and get home together. Your new wingy is not Grigory, so don't treat him as such. Treat him/her as if they need to be lead and protected as you did Grigory.

#%&*$#, I feel like I am writing you back for your father and mother.

Heh! Thanks Dusty. It's nice to know that my writing has some kind of impact and that people buy into the story to some degree.

It's just fun to have such a creative outlet. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to put these AARs together, but it's a real labour of love. Replaying the missions, watching them from different angles, pausing and setting up the camera shots - it's all really, really enjoyable. I get a huge kick out of it.

Oh, and I quite enjoying flying the missions, too. biggrin

This really is the best sim I've ever played in my entire life. ED have done a truly outstanding job.

---------
Pizzicato
#2645981 - 01/04/09 02:43 AM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Pizzicato]  
Spyder512 Offline
Spyder512  Offline

Franklinville, New Jersey
Damn, I never got sucked into any kind of story like I have with these AAR's. When Grigory went out, I was like, " NOOOOOO!!!!! " haha. I almost felt the grief of the loss.... you are truly a great story teller, keep it up!

#2647603 - 01/06/09 04:24 PM Re: Black Shark - War (Part 2) [Re: Spyder512]  
theKhan Offline
resident pacifist (sic)
theKhan  Offline
resident pacifist (sic)

Canada
That was fantastic, I love reading these everytime you post them. Keep em coming!

I used to work for a living, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.