Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#2629002 - 12/06/08 01:00 AM Re: The "new" Enterprise *** [Re: Snacky]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The ST "zealots" are what killed ST as it was. Ask any writer who worked on ST and they'll tell you what a chore it became with literally thousands of pages of back story that had to be adhered to. Every possible challenge you could throw at the crew had already been solved in a previous episode, so they had to come up with some reason THAT solution wouldn't work. In the end they had to get neck-deep in technobabble just to be plausible.
They already tried a "mild" retooling with Enterprise, but ST fans didn't approve and just as the show got good it had lost too many viewers to hang on.

So Paramount has decided they no longer care about adhering to all the minute details, they're going to proceed like it really is 300 yrs from NOW and not worry about it looking older than something made on a shoestring budget 40 yrs ago.
If everyone who did NOT see Nemesis and the other TNG films goes to see this one while everyone who DID see Nemesis and the rest hates this and doesn't go...it will be the biggest ST film ever. Paramount can live with that. Think they care about the "zealots" who stopped paying the bills a decade ago?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#2629195 - 12/06/08 03:29 PM Re: The "new" Enterprise [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
As always Jedi, your posts dealing with Trek are right on the money!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2629349 - 12/06/08 09:59 PM Re: The "new" Enterprise [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
So then my question is, why call it Star Trek? It doesn't make sense, unless they're trying to cash in on those who already know it, and want to see more.

And if that's the case, then yes, those people will be disappointed if it doesn't provide them with what they wanted - more Star Trek like they remember it.

I would much rather they come up with a new setting, and stop rehashing the past.

Oh, and I'll add that you didn't have to be a Star Trek fan to dislike Nemesis - it was bad on many movie-making levels. Watching that super weapon - whatever it was called - unfurl for 20 minutes was pure comedy.

Last edited by Arthonon; 12/06/08 10:02 PM.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#2629353 - 12/06/08 10:18 PM Re: The "new" Enterprise [Re: Arthonon]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Arthonon
Watching that super weapon - whatever it was called - unfurl for 20 minutes was pure comedy.

Hey, it worked great in Spaceballs. lol

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2634715 - 12/15/08 11:27 PM Re: The "new" Enterprise [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Let's see: Kirk, Spock, Enterprise, Federation, Romulans...that's Star Trek. Changing the details doesn't suddenly invalidate that. They've simply gone back to what they had 40 years ago when they first started, a relatively blank slate, and dumped everything that was weighing them down.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#2634734 - 12/15/08 11:59 PM Re: The "new" Enterprise [Re: Arthonon]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
Originally Posted By: Arthonon
So then my question is, why call it Star Trek?

Hollywood is completely bereft of new ideas or even basic imagination. Other than Aqua Teen Hungerforce, there hasn't been a movie with any originality since Clerks.

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#2635325 - 12/16/08 07:46 PM Re: The "new" Enterprise [Re: Jedi Master]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Let's see: Kirk, Spock, Enterprise, Federation, Romulans...that's Star Trek. Changing the details doesn't suddenly invalidate that. They've simply gone back to what they had 40 years ago when they first started, a relatively blank slate, and dumped everything that was weighing them down.

The Jedi Master

My thinking was, why make a Star Trek movie, that includes all of those elements, if you're not trying to appeal to those who liked it?

It's not like the studio HAD to make a movie about Kirk, Spock, Enterprise, Federation, Romulans...

They chose to, and probably because they figured the name recognition would bring in more money because of those fans that would like to see a Star Trek movie. If they aren't happy with how those fans react to their changes, whose fault is that?

I think that if they feel the need to change a bunch of stuff, and ignore the things the fan base has come to expect from that kind of movie, it would be better to come up with something new, and not use the names Star Trek, Kirk, Spock, Enterprise, etc. Then the move would have to stand on its own, and they couldn't blame rabid fans or whatever if it failed.

Basically, start their own franchise and develop their own fan base, instead of trying to cash in on the very fan base they're alienating (no pun intended).

I don't think of myself as a rabid fan, and am in the minority in that I didn't really like TNG that much (too much like therapy sessions for the most part) and did like the last few seasons of DS9.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#2635580 - 12/17/08 01:42 AM Re: The "new" Enterprise [Re: Arthonon]  
IamFritz Offline
IamFritz  Offline

I have a theory, Captain. There is sufficient evidence to suggest that the creators of this movie sequel are not from this time line at all, but from a parallel universe.

Fritz Gunter
iamfritz@hotmail.com
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
#2636399 - 12/18/08 05:38 AM Re: The "new" Enterprise [Re: IamFritz]  
JCathcart Offline
JCathcart  Offline

Utah
Interesting theory Commander. I want you to beam down to Paramount Studios with an away team and investigate. If necessary, beam Abrams back to the ship where we'll have Spock mind-meld with him. If they are from a parallel universe, we'll need to figure out how to send them back using the obligatory spatial anomaly that always appears when our dilithium crystals lose their creativity charge.

Take a couple of officers from security or engineering to ensure an adequate complement of expendable personnel, and keep in contact with the ship every hour on the hour. Arm yourselves with type-1 phasers only, and carry the specially modified tricorders that have been designed to look like iPhones.

Good luck Commander Gunter. Kirk out.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." -- Ephesians 6: 12-13 KJV
#2636532 - 12/18/08 01:41 PM Re: The "new" Enterprise [Re: JCathcart]  
Whitehead Offline
Whitehead  Offline

@JCathcart- Funny stuff! Best laugh I've had in weeks.

#2636541 - 12/18/08 01:53 PM Re: The "new" Enterprise [Re: Whitehead]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Whitehead
@JCathcart- Funny stuff! Best laugh I've had in weeks.

Yup, agreed. That was great. smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.