Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#2626185 - 12/01/08 04:00 PM Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff *****  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Or: A Dummy's Guide to DCS: Black Shark. biggrin

Since quite a few people have mentioned a demand for a basic tutorial that covers the very 1st steps in this great sim I thought I'd give it a go. This tutorial is intended for the newbie, someone who just got the game, browsed through the manual and key chart and now sits in front of his PC, eager to blow up stuff, yet utterly confused by the complexity of this simulation.

It is NOT intended as an "in-depth" learning tool, but as a quickstart guide to get you airborne ASAP. It does NOT cover the complex start-up routines nor any intricate descriptions of 'advanced stuff' like the ABRIS operation.

What it does is make you familiar with the basic operation of the Ka-50, basically: taking off and blowing up stuff. smile

While I use a simplified approach regarding many advanced aspects of the simulation, this tutorial is intended to be played at "full realism", because IMO "relaxed settings" often teach bad habits which are difficult to lose once you make the transition to higher realism settings.

I'll add the mission once I've finished the writing.

**** Link to the tutorial in PDF form, thanks to EAF331 MadDog! ****

Thanks to Yurgon the tutorial mission now works in DCS World! He's also hosting the mission file, thanks!

*** Link to the(DCS world compatible) mission file. Just place the file into your ...1c/Eagle Dynamics/Ka-50/Missions folder. ***

**** And (again thanks to Yurgon) here the mission for the original Black Shark 1: Download Link ****

Here we go!

So now you're sitting in your brand-new Ka-50, it's a beautiful morning, and you're staring at a gazillion instruments labelled in a strange language. You took a look at the massive PDF manual and besides the sudden urge for Vodka in large quantities haven't really a clue what to do now.

Don't worry, we'll have you blasting stuff in no time! hahaha

First, take a look around the cockpit:

Looks great, eh? But don't worry, you don't need half of those instruments, buttons, knobs and switches to actually fly the helicopter and use its weapons system. Sounds good? Yep.

We start with an easy training mission: take off, fly to waypoint 2, shoot some tanks, fly to waypoint 3, shoot some very, very bad people and their very, very bad... uhm... tents, then head back home for a late breakfast.

First: the most important key command for a new pilot: left win+home. This combination auto-starts all systems so you don't have to do the start-up yourself. Once all systems are online we can prepare the bird for the mission.

We start with bringing up the map display on the ABRIS screen. The ABRIS is an incredible powerful system, but for now we'll simply use it to show the map.

See the four buttons under the ABRIS screen? Press the (1), the one labelled NAV, then (2), labelled MAP. Now the ABRIS should show the map, you can use (3) and (4) buttons to increase/decrease the scale of the map.

For navigation in this mission we will use the PVI-800 system. Click on the button in the upper left corner to enter WAYPOINT mode, then click on 1 to select waypoint 1. You can select each waypoint by simply clicking its corresponding number. The Airfield Mode button will select the airfield you took off, then the airfield you intend to land on if it's different from the take-off location.

Next we take a look at some of the basic instruments:

One of the most important instruments is the VVI, the vertical velocity indicator. Always have an eye on this vital instrument, especially when flying at low altitude, which is what you'll be doing most of the time if you want to stay alive.

Two instruments below is the HSI which doesn't concern us for the moment but keep in mind that in the upper left corner it shows the distance in km to the currently selected waypoint.

Next we have the Indicated Airspeed Indicator and the Radar Altimeter. While we're at it, click on the little knob on the altimeter, keep the mouse button pressed and drag the mouse to set the "dangerous altitude". I've set mine here to 30m, this is the altitude where you'll get a beeping warning.

The final step before taking off will be the setting of our countermeasures dispenser.

It's fairly simple, actually. The digital readout has two modes: it either shows the amount of flares left or the program settings. In the pic above it shows the latter. You can switch between both display modes with the lever on the right side. Opposite to that is the side release switch which governs on which side the flares are dispensed, which is shown by the red lights on the digital readout. In the pic the flares will be dispensed on both sides.

The "number of sequences" button governs how many sequences run each time you press the "dispense" button. The "number of flares/sequence" how many flares are released in each sequence, and the "interval" button puts a pause between sequences. "Reset" resets the program, "Stop" stops the current sequence and "Dispense" dispenses the flares.

In this pic I've setup the program so that 3 flares will be dispensed on both sides of the helicopter, this sequence will run 2 times, with an interval (pause) of 5 seconds.

Ok, now let's get going!

With all system running we carefully increase the collective until the helicopter takes off. Carefully stabilize the aircraft at 50m. Yes, carefully. wink
The Ka-50 is very sensitive to control inputs, there's nothing worse then trying to "chase the controls". Once you start swinging back and forth all over the place things can get nasty quickly. To avoid this, use the autopilot settings and the auto-hover (left-ALT-t) function. Think about the autopilot less as a fully automated device that flies you from A to B but rather as a stabilization system for a very touchy aircraft.

Basically, you want to have the autopilot modes for pitch, bank and lateral/heading ALWAYS ON and using the TRIM function every time you move the cyclic controls. Yes, every time.

I know, it sounds a bit tedious, but the quicker you get used to it, the better. Map the trim function to a Joystick button and get used to press it whenever you move the stick, then release it again. You will be rewarded by a much more stabilized flight. You can switch off the autopilot/stabilization via the flight director mode, but I prefer leaving them all on and using the trim to change the flight profile.

Practice hovering! It's the most important manuever for a helicopter pilot. Always use the auto-hover function. And don't forget to switch it off when done hovering... wink

You can also see the switch for the anti-collision light, which we'll switch off once we're clear of the airbase. We won't go into indian territory with all fancy lights flashing and blinking, no Sir!

Ok, now we're stabilized, hovering at around 50m, all's fine. We can see the steerpoint carat on the HUD which will lead us towards waypoint 1, and the HUD also displays altitude, heading and speed. Since we're in hover mode the hover point reference circle is also displayed on the HUD, it's basically a top-down view with the little square depicting the hover point, which helps maintaining a position during hover. And in the corner of the HIS we see that we're just 6km from our 1st waypoint. Use the rudder to place the steerpoint carat right onto the little inverted triangle, which is the current heading marker. Now, let's switch off auto-hover, press the trim button, lower the nose by moving the cyclic controls forward and increase collective so that we don't lose altitude. Once the nose is ~10°down we can release the trim button and should be picking up speed. And raise the gear ("g") wink

Try to stabilize the aircraft at 50m altitude, 150 km/h.

After we've reached WP2 select WP3 by clicking on the corresponding number on the PVI 800. You should notice the steerpoint carat move, change course to put it on the heading marker again.

Now that you're clear of the airbase, switch off the anti-collision light and the navigation lights.

The switch has four positions: 10%, 30%, 100% and OFF.

Excellent! We're right on course to our 1st targets, we're not blinking like a christmas tree anymore and the Ka-50 looks mighty cool. copter

As we approach waypoint 3 we should get a message telling us to prepare our weapons systems. The armoured targets are supposed to be on the other side of that ridge on a road, so we better setup our systems from a safe position.

Press trim, pull up the cyclic, release trim, lower the collective. You should now lose speed without gaining altitude. Carefully approach the ridge in front of you, reduce speed to 0 and engage auto hover. You should be behind the ridge line, in a steady hover position.

Take a look at the PUI-800 Weapon Status and Control Panel and the Targeting Mode Control Panel:

Let's start with the Weapon Status and Control Panel, directly below the Shkval display. The cute little plane with the funky lights show the weapon presence indicator (yellow) and the weapon readiness indicator (green) which display the selected weapon. Select the outer hardpoints. Below to the left the NC readout shows that our currently selected weapon is an AT-missile (Vikhr), and that 12 of them are loaded. The 24 readout next to it shows the (currently selected) ammo for the cannon, x10.

To the left of the little plane is the Master Arm switch, which should be in the ON position (up) so that we can fire our weapons. Below that is the Weapon Control Switch which should ALWAYS be on AUTO ("ABT") position. To the right of that is the Weapon Mode Selector which selects either short, medium or long burst for the cannon or the corresponding fire mode when firing rockets. When firing Vikhr missiles it designates whether the missiles are fired single or in pairs. I usually fire Vikhr in single mode.

The Targeting Mode Control Panel:
Here we need to switch the Laser Standby selector ON. Next we press the Ground Moving Target button. Your first targets won't move, but it's good to practice it nevertheless so you won't miss moving targets later on by forgetting to turn this system on. The Automatic Turn on Target is a nifty little feature that will automatically turn the helicopter towards a designated target, you need to click on it once you've designated a target via the Skval, or press "q".

Ah, and uncage the Shkval targeting system with "o".

Now you're ready to fire.

Disengage auto hover and carefully move up the ridge. While still in cover slow down again and initiate auto hover again. Then increase collective to slowly rise above the ridge.

For this attack we will use the helmet-mounted sight to set up the attack.

Engage the helmet-mounted sight with "h". Slave the Shkval view to the helmet sight reticule by pressing and holding "o". You can now scan the target area. You should spot three tanks right in front of you, on the road in front of a forested hill. Release "o". The Shkval sight should now be stabilized on the ground near the tanks.

You can now zoom in/out ("=" and "-") and adjust the TV target frame ("[" and "]"). Move the target frame onto a tank.

Now press the lock target key ("ENTER"). The "TT" symbol in the Shkval display should now change to "TA", "auto tracking target", and you should see the "TA-NA"-message ("auto tracking target-range indicator") on the HUD.

***Move cyclic so that the target LOS circle on the HUD is INSIDE the Vikhr launch circle.***

Now you should get launch authorization (a "C" on the Shkval display), hold the target circle inside the launch circle and keep the "Release Weapons" button (right alt- space) pressed until the missile launches. You need to keep the button pressed for a second to actually launch a missile.

If you've done everything correct, you should see this:

Well done, now destroy the two remaining tanks, then it's time for rockets and the cannon. But watch out, if you get careless by flying too high or getting too close the tanks WILL engage you. So, if your laser warning starts flashing you better be quick in finishing them off or go hiding behind a hill!

:WinkNGrin:

...to be continued...

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 02/22/13 11:06 AM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2626191 - 12/01/08 04:11 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
thx a mil...printed and preparing for my first simulation flight...

#2626205 - 12/01/08 04:24 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Magnum]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
Same here! Very well done. I look forward to my flight tonight and to Part II.

:-)

Fridge
----------
Things which do you no good in aviation:
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
4) The airspeed you don't have.
#2626247 - 12/01/08 05:32 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Fridge]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
Nice, just what's needed, this should be made sticky.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#2626259 - 12/01/08 05:46 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Mogster]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Outstanding!

Sticky it is!

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2626269 - 12/01/08 05:57 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Para_Bellum]  
kramer Offline
Hotshot
kramer  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio
great job! this is what we need to get us going.

#2626324 - 12/01/08 07:27 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: kramer]  
Cougar_DK Offline
Cougar_DK  Offline

Denmark, Farum
Thanx for posting this - a great guide.

#2626393 - 12/01/08 09:13 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: kramer]  
SlapStik Offline
SlapStik  Offline

Concord, NC
Wow, did I ever need this!! Thanks!

DFord8 aka SlapStik
Intel i7 2600K SB, DDR3 1600 8 gb ram, Win7 64,
EVGA GTX 570 1280gb, Intel 80gb SSD.
TM Warthog #1547, MFD pack, CH PP & TIR4

#2626418 - 12/01/08 09:45 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: SlapStik]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

OMG, I' am getting a headache reading about even these "simplified" procedures! - I will need a life in a parallel universe to get to the bottom of this sim... Beginning to see Dart's point more clearly now...

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#2626422 - 12/01/08 09:49 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: SlapStik]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
WooHoo!

Now this is what I was hoping to hear!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2626442 - 12/01/08 10:20 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Dart]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Excellent!! I created my own mission for use the procedure and works great. Same training mission will be greatly apreciatted.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#2626483 - 12/01/08 11:12 PM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Dart]  
Vaporblast Offline
Vaporblast  Offline

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
you are now a GOD !

No matter what you do, the bullet with your name on it will get you. So, too, can the ones addressed "To Whom It May Concern".
#2626502 - 12/02/08 12:10 AM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Vaporblast]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Awesome Para, just what the doctor ordered

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#2626507 - 12/02/08 12:21 AM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Thanks for all the kind words! woot

Here's the second part of the mission:

With the tanks at waypoint 2 destroyed we deactivate auto hover and press "BACKSPACE" to set the HUD back to NAV mode. Click on the "3" on the PVI-800 to set it as next waypoint. Fly over the ridge into the valley and follow the road towards the next waypoint, watch the burning tanks and set up in front of the next hill for a hover again:

Since the targets at steerpoint 3 consist of infantry and some tents we will use unguided rockets and cannon fire to destroy them. You should now be safely auto hovering in cover, ready to setup the weapons systems. First, take look at the right rear panel:

Make sure that the Unguided Rocket/Gunpod Ballistic Data Settings Switch is set to 0, which is the required setting for our S-8 rockets.

Select the rockets by selecting the correct weapons stations ("u") and set the burst length to medium/CP. This will ensure that we fire a whole salvo of rockets when pressing the trigger. We have 40 S-8 rockets on board, so we don't need to economise on them. Also set the weapon system mode switch on the targeting mode control panel to "fix cannon to boresight"/HNY

With weapons set now uncage the Shkval again ("o"), leave hover position (remember to switch off auto hover), and slowly move forward around the hill, following the road. Use the Shkvall optics to search for the targets (I have the Shkval controls mapped to my Joystick hat switch since I use a Track IR for view control, works like a charm). Soon you should spot some infantry on the road and a couple of tents nearby.

Lock up a target, put the aiming reticule over the target mark and fire once you get the launch authorization (a "C" on HUD and Shkval screen). Remember that you can use the "automatic turn to target" button on the targeting mode control panel or by pressing "q". Enjoy the explosions. hahaha

If you have aimed well, which actually isn't that easy with those unguided rockets, especially if you haven't yet managed to steadily control your helicopter, the target should now look like this:

Rinse and repeat.

If you're such a terrible shot like me than a couple of infantry will probably have survived your aerial assault. And now you're out of those cool exploding rockets. Bugger!
But fear not, because now we get to play around with the cannon! Yay!

Check the targeting mode control panel again and set the switch to moving cannon/automatic weapons mode/NNY again. That is, move the switch to the 12 o'clock position.

We can now use the cannon by moving the Shkval designator around. You don't have to actually lock up targets (especially since we deal exclusively with static targets), just place the TV frame over stuff you want to kill. Just keep in mind that in the Ka-50 the cannon is mounted on the right side, which results in a limited traverse capability to the left. If your cannon doesn't fire although you have locked up a target in range, then the target is most probably outside the "gate" you see on the HUD and which is located a bit to the right due to the weapon's position.

Now clear the target area of all remaining targets.

Once you have eliminated all targets you should get a message telling you to head back to the base. Hit "BACKSPACE" again to reset the HUD to NAV mode, use the PVI-800 to set the next waypoint and fly home, preferably without crashing into something solid. wink

Once you approach the last waypoint you can again switch on the anti-collision and navigation lights for extra atmosphere and karma points.

Choose your landing point, reduce speed and come to a hover. Lower gear and carefully reduce collective to enter a slow descent. Make small corrections as necessary, DON'T OVERREACT and DON'T CHASE THE CONTROLS. Use auto hover.

Once safely on the Rodina again, hit "left win + end" to perform an auto shut-down.

Congratulations, you've completed this tutorial!

cheers

I hope you did learn a thing or two and enjoyed the reading. I apologize for any errors/mistakes/blurs, I'm still learning, too. pilot

I'll put up the mission to download ASAP.

***** Here is the mission file: *****

Link

right-click, save as...

Simply put it in your ...1c/Eagle Dynamics/Ka-50/Missions folder.

Cheers,

Para_Bellum

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 12/15/10 12:21 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#2626547 - 12/02/08 01:34 AM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Spasibo, Komrade Para_Bellum.

*insert Lenin order

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#2626562 - 12/02/08 02:07 AM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Legend]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
I've only just read the first part and I can't say enough how helpful and informative this has been. You've done an excellent job at writing a "For Dummies" guide that does not insult nor talk down to those not in the know. Thank you very much for doing such a fantastic job.

I would recommend that far from being a sticky, perhaps this should be extracted and placed in the Air Combat archives as well. I think this is a very informative article.

Again, thank you for all your hard work.

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
#2626566 - 12/02/08 02:24 AM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Corsair8X]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
well Black Shark Week starts in a few hours, so you never know... good write up...

THX

#2626583 - 12/02/08 02:57 AM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Magnum]  
Snakeyes Offline
XBL: sSnakeyes
Snakeyes  Offline
XBL: sSnakeyes

Arizona, USA
Very nice work Para_Bellum. I learned most of this through doing, reading, trial and error over the Thanksgiving holiday. Your guide should help new Ka50 pilots get going in no time at all. It clarified some things for me and introduced some new ideas. Thanks for your effort!

copter

#2626598 - 12/02/08 03:33 AM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Lucky Offline
Old Guy
Lucky  Offline
Old Guy

Upstate N.Y.
I've been doing pretty good since I downloaded BS. But, your tutorial shows me some things I wasn't doing.

Thanks Para_Bellum

Core i9 10900k @ 5.0GHz
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC 8GB DDR6
32GB Team T-Force Night Hawk DDR4 3200,
Corsair HX850i 850W PSU
TIR5 With Trackclip Pro
Win 10 x64
#2626713 - 12/02/08 10:36 AM Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff [Re: Lucky]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
Great tutorial Para!
Let me know if you want to fly some multiplay missions with me.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.