Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2622611 - 11/24/08 11:58 PM Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against...  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
Since 2003, the Virtual Fighter Squadrons have been involved in most every organized Squad vs. Squad and On-Line war activity out there. We've flown as or with:
7./JG77
92nd Fighter Group
4th FG
777 AVG
And many more.

Now, 5 years later, we're ready to relight that fire and have organized Squad vs. Squad engagements.

Currently, we participate in Forgotten Skies on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. In the past, Thursdays have been a dedicated Squad vs. Squad night.

We're looking for fresh pilots in our squad for FS and Squad vs. Squad action. In addition, any organized DF night on HL is good, too. We're MOD saavy (customized installs aplenty for members), so don't be afraid!

Our web site is: http://virtualfightersquadrons.com (separate Site and Forum registrations required).

Difficulty Settings:
In a Squad vs. Squad environment, we're open to almost any difficulty setting. We PREFER limited icons (custom rcu file) that help identify friendly craft per typical "real life" sight distance would identify.

We're okay with padlock, but would insist on NO EXTERNAL views.

We can also fly "full switch" as long as Speed Bar is enabled (to mitigate the inability to see certain instruments in cockpit view).

VFS is not and "axis" or an "allied" specific affiliation. We fly the entire spectrum.

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2622773 - 11/25/08 09:49 AM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Tolwyn]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Take a look at the Il-2 War at HL Tolwyn, it's on the massive Italy/North Africa/Crete/Malta map and the fighting is around Bengazi at the moment, the desert road. Control see-sawing mission to mission. Needs a clean 4.08m install and then they've created a simple to install (sounds and objects) modpack. Very enjoyable and no hassles, good crowd in there. You can fly for both sides I think

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2625645 - 11/30/08 04:36 PM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
VT-51_Razor Offline
VT-51_Razor  Offline

Central Point, Oregon, US of A...
Tolwyn, Airgroup 51 is looking for a squad to fly against, preferably in an SEOW campaign. Our squad is based on a US Navy group flying off carriers in the Pacific. The settings we typically use are "full switch" with speed bar. We are very into the mods. Our usual squad nights are Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights, with Saturday nights being our SEOW night when engaged in a campaign. SEOW is not necessary for a campaign, but the only one we have used in the past with any success.

Give me a shout or drop by our forum and say howdy if you might be interested.

www.airgroup51.com

Last edited by VT-51_Razor; 11/30/08 04:42 PM.

People in aviation who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do

Razor
Air Group 51
#2625777 - 11/30/08 08:00 PM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: VT-51_Razor]  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
Hey, Ming.
Yes, we're in an on-line war at the moment (FS), but we miss the coop mode/mission building stuff that either DCG can provide, or custom-created missions. smile With regards to IL2 War specifically... we did look into it...

I have the Greece install (customized a bit), but we have no desire to change sounds. If it can work with just the MOD buttons file and the all aircraft folder structure (and a custom map), we're okay with that. Can that work? Send me a PM, and I'll point you to our custom install that you can use in a TEMP folder just to see what we've picked and chosen. It's about 210MB.
Quote:

Compiled September 30, 2008

IL2 War Sound MOD Pack 1.2
Greece Front 1941

Host must have checkRuntime=2 in their conf.ini.

This should only be installed after uninstalling any other MOD pack (for example, MOD_408m_2.7-tolwynized.exe).

There is an included uninstallation for all Tolwynized MODs.

Included in this distribution are 4.08m Backup Files. Yes, this makes the download a bit bigger.

Razor...

We can do full-switch / speedbar (that's how we usually do it; although we'd have more of "our" squad participating with a LIMITED icon (under .1km for name, under .5km for IFF)). Will definately point our squad to this post and see if they would like to participate.

We're currently using a custom install of the AAA MOD. No custom sound, 2.8 button file (basically, All Aircraft with some maps, wind mod, etc.).

If you have a server with SQL or MSAccess setup for SEOW, we're definately interested. We've tried getting it to run on LINUX, PHP, MySQL(i), with little success. But we are familiar with SEOW from a mission planning perspective.

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)
#2625813 - 11/30/08 09:09 PM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Tolwyn]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
We're using the 'Il-2 War' online war mod Tolwyn which is a modified-Bellum-war easy sound mod plus maps install, commanders of both sides submit a plan and fly that mission then send up the logfile. Very much a tactical battle and a decent bunch of people flying it

Scorched Earth is another possibility if you want a DCG-type campaign but also with commanders' plans that need to be submittted in advance. SE campaigns = good quality dedicated pilots and no chatline bollocks

Both wars have interesting bits for the strategically-minded

Ming

#2625871 - 12/01/08 12:02 AM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
sobe Offline
sobe  Offline

Bend, OR USA
This past September I joined a group that used IL2-1946 and took a four week basic flying lesson (and passed). They were supposed to have an intermediate course but it was never given. I am interested in learning to advance my meager skills so I can fly online with a group. Do you offer an instructions, etc? I have the CH equipment and just got TIR4 and am still trying to adjust to it.
thanks
stanley

Trackir4, Win10 Pro 64Bit, Intel(R) Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset, DDR3 8GB Ram,AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Monitor 2 on right 1280x1024
#2626046 - 12/01/08 11:00 AM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: sobe]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Bumping for stanley, maybe post a new thread asking about that stan - your question will get lost in this thread. I remember that thread about training it looked interesting. There are very many groups of friends flying in more or less serious online squadrons, don't be bashful about asking as many times as you need to mate and squadron-minded chaps will keep it bumped until you find a happy billet Smile2

Get involved with an online squadron or group, loose affiliation etc soon as you like because the big sims are looming on the horizon and time to get trained-up perhaps, before transferring to France initially. Then to Biggin Hill. Then on to Korea. They're all just over the horizon from where I'm sitting. We just catch the odd flash of primary-colour paint from time to time and a hint of a MiG Smile2

Ming

#2626170 - 12/01/08 03:29 PM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
In the USA, there are a few squadrons that I wholeheartely endorse for training and just plain fun:

RAF74 for the allies.

Wing Walkers and II/JG1 for the Hun side.

Not to say they've cornered the market in excellent squadrons; it's just long experience flying with and against them over the last ten years or so across two simulations that gets them my big "thumbs high."

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2626387 - 12/01/08 09:07 PM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Dart]  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
Excellent Thread. We almost need some sort of Squad v Squad Matchmaking service.

Ha.

AdultLeadFinder.com

Oh the huge manatee.

#2626513 - 12/02/08 12:33 AM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Tolwyn]  
VT-51_Razor Offline
VT-51_Razor  Offline

Tolwyn, check your PMs

People in aviation who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do

Razor
Air Group 51
#2627445 - 12/03/08 12:10 PM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: VT-51_Razor]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Scorched Earth is another possibility if you want a DCG-type

Little correction here, SEOW is nothing like DCG, not in the slightest.

#2627476 - 12/03/08 01:41 PM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Brigstock]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Quote:
Ming earlier: Scorched Earth is another possibility if you want a DCG-type campaign but also with commanders' plans that need to be submittted in advance

Little correction here, SEOW is nothing like DCG, not in the slightest.

Little rider escaped your normally excellent reading skills there Brigstock, try not to misquote me mate as you did in your reply by leaving out my important qualification, the sin of omission

SEOW is nothing like DCG, not in the slightest.

Well yes it certainly is in the main: a campaign map with a moving frontline based on previous missions flown

Ever-so-slightly similar then apart from the 'but also..' qualification noted above Smile2

But yes they are quite different online campaigns in that DCG missions can be flown without the overhead that Scorched Earth campaign missions involve: and different in that Scorched Earth campaigns are not 'live' in the same sense as the DCG, which has the ability to churn out missions one after the other without depending on waiting for campaign commanders to file the next mission plan. That no one can deny, you must remember this Smile2

Ming

#2627860 - 12/04/08 01:00 AM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
There's no misquote, I could have quoted the whole post, then result would be the same.

DCG and SEOW the same, not even ever so slightly....they're totally different. The only similarity is the moving front line.
The suggestion is that if you take away the possibility to generate a mission one after the other in DCG then SEOW and DCG are the same, which of course it ain't.

Last edited by Brigstock; 12/04/08 01:00 AM.
#2628002 - 12/04/08 07:06 AM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: VT-51_Razor]  
LLv34_Camouflage Offline
LLv34_Camouflage  Offline

Helsinki, Finland
The Finns are flying Scorched Earth SEOW (http://padin.mine.nu) 3 times a week: sun, tue, thu at 20 cet. We've been doing this non-stop for about 2-3 years now. Our last campaign (Smolensk 1943) just ended last sunday, and we're taking a few weeks break while the new campaign is set up. We should be up and running after new years. You're more than welcome to join us.

We're flying organized coops/dogfights until the campaign starts, so you can still find us on HL on sun, tue, thu at 20 cet onwards. Look for pilots in "LLv34" or "LLv16" uniforms.

Camo

Camouflage
CO, Lentolaivue 34

"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"
#2628031 - 12/04/08 10:17 AM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: LLv34_Camouflage]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
DCG and SEOW the same

Make your mind up mate you just flatly contradicted me when I almost said that.

Ming

#2628425 - 12/04/08 11:48 PM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
What the feck are we going to do with you Mingster.. smile

#2628627 - 12/05/08 09:34 AM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Brigstock]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Keywords: sauce, goose, gander

Hiya mate Smile2

Ming

#2628644 - 12/05/08 11:28 AM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Dart]  
WWTaco Offline
WWTaco  Offline

West Virginia
Originally Posted By: Dart
In the USA, there are a few squadrons that I wholeheartely endorse for training and just plain fun:

RAF74 for the allies.

Wing Walkers and II/JG1 for the Hun side.

Not to say they've cornered the market in excellent squadrons; it's just long experience flying with and against them over the last ten years or so across two simulations that gets them my big "thumbs high."

Ya shoot at Dart from a BF_109 and your labeled a Hun forever!!! ar15

We actually have no side preference we fly everything... Of course in Red Baron Days you wouldn't have caught us flying those Uber Gunned German Crates!!! neaner

S!

Last edited by WWTaco; 12/05/08 11:29 AM.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau
#2628710 - 12/05/08 02:37 PM Re: Looking for Pilots and a Squad to Fight against... [Re: Tolwyn]  
VT-51_Razor Offline
VT-51_Razor  Offline

Originally Posted By: Tolwyn
Excellent Thread. We almost need some sort of Squad v Squad Matchmaking service.

Ha.

AdultLeadFinder.com

Oh the huge manatee.

That was the original intent for establishing the FISC website http://www.gofisc.com/

Razor
Air Group 51

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.