Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 60 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 59 60
#2605424 - 10/15/08 07:11 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection *** [Re: 20mm]  
Shepski Offline
Shepski  Offline

Canada
20mm,

I think this discussion has gone around in enough circles and is going nowhere.

When somene says the following and also quotes from the "boycott SF" website:

Originally Posted By: Maddox

Nothing wrong with people forming a group that stands up for the rights of legit paying customers.

It only reinforces the fact that some here have an agenda they are trying to ram down forum users throats and are trying to hijack this thread as it relates to Eagle Dynamics.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2605444 - 10/15/08 07:32 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Shepski]  
Koriel Offline
Koriel  Offline

Overhead Europe
Agree, it's been fun reading \:\) but it doesn't server any purpose anymore.

Close it please

#2605447 - 10/15/08 07:35 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Koriel]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

--
44th VFW
#2605466 - 10/15/08 08:00 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: GrayGhost]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
An interesting concept

Originally Posted By: Shepski
It only reinforces the fact that some here have an agenda they are trying to ram down forum users throats and are trying to hijack this thread as it relates to Eagle Dynamics.

I run an website with , let me check ... Overall: 38490 ... members , been doing it now for 3 1/2 years, never met there anyone with an agenda - unless you count the F-14D models , those guys are fanatics, constantly fighting amongst themselves ...

I guess, an agenda is what? sinister ulterior motives ? like a conspiracy ?

In my opinion, people post at this thread because they feel that by including Starforce, ED spoiled their fun.

my 2c.

#2605469 - 10/15/08 08:09 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
EvilBivol-1 Offline
EvilBivol-1  Offline

LA
For comparative purposes (and I suspect especially interesting to Thomas):

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42306/Far-Cry-2-DRM-Revealed

EB
Belsimtek/TFC Associate
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
#2605483 - 10/15/08 08:26 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: EvilBivol-1]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Can't connect to it , but it is about FarCry 2,

probably they will require some draconian copy protection, and it will be made available for download in Mininova or the PirateBay the day before release.

#2605486 - 10/15/08 08:28 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: EvilBivol-1]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes, as suggested yesterday, Ubisoft's Far Cry 2 Digital Rights Management is identical to Electronic Arts' much-hated implementation, as seen in Spore and Mercenaries 2:

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.
Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.
You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)
Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.
Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

#2605502 - 10/15/08 08:53 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: ]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
as seen in Spore ...

Upon release we will see a Peer to Peer network meltdown ...

Spore, another game I didn't play.

#2605508 - 10/15/08 08:57 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Reading that stuff about Far Cry 2, you have to wonder if the big companys are trying to convert PC Gamers into console gamers.

Or to prepare us for a business model where software is rented monthly, not bought.

I'll never buy a game that requires online activation. Red Orchestra on Steam was such a game, but since then I've found ways to at least play it offline without Steam at all.

#2605511 - 10/15/08 09:01 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Groove Offline
Groove  Offline

RSColonel, the big publishers will very soon bring micropayment and pay per content into PC gaming.

Spoke with some guys from SONY DADC, they are very excited about it ;\)

#2605514 - 10/15/08 09:05 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
BillyRiley Offline
BillyRiley  Offline

Colchester, England
20mm...please do not close this thread.

There are several people who want it closed and are doing there damndest to get it closed.

It does serve a purpose. SimHQ is highly regarded in the Sim world. It is looked on favourablt and failry. Therefore, it's important that these issues be raised and the people that need to see them raised get the message.

It is for the best for the genre. I want one thing from this thread. I want DCS to remove Starforce from their software and I want to hand them my money. I would also like for them to continue making simulations after those two events have taken place.

Because SimHQ is highly regarded, and because you are seen as keeping it fair by editing where required, refusing to allow attacks on DCS themselves, the site is listened to in the community.

Please do not close this thread. Rather, ban the people, on both sides of the argument, that are making the personal attacks.

I've done nothing wrong here. I want DCS to listen to me and I want to show them my support for them listening.

I know it must be tiring moderating all these posts. But just look at the hits and replies. It's the hottest topic since DCS BS was announced!

There are people here wanting it closed down and they are trying to act in a way, regardless of your warnings, to get it closed down.

I beg of you, let this rolling stone gather it's moss. Let DCS get the message.

Keep the thread open, ban the people who want it closed.

Thank you.

#2605517 - 10/15/08 09:08 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
 Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Reading that stuff about Far Cry 2, you have to wonder if the big companys are trying to convert PC Gamers into console gamers.

Or to prepare us for a business model where software is rented monthly, not bought.

I'll never buy a game that requires online activation. Red Orchestra on Steam was such a game, but since then I've found ways to at least play it offline without Steam at all.

probably, it is becoming less and less of a pleasure to play games.

Funny thing is, that all these efforts to forestall piracy would be not necessary if they priced their product right.

#2605535 - 10/15/08 09:35 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
Meyvn Offline
Meyvn  Offline

NYC
well, long time not here. Almost forget my username...lol
Used to have FC, CD version. Made a img file for myself. For patch 1.2, and mount with Daemon, yes, it works. For 1.2a, it doesn't work at that time, not sure whether it will work with current Daemon.
I kept that img file for installing purpose, just keep the CD for weekly CD check.
Although SF didn't give me any obvious problem, I do hesitate when I need to reinstall it...
So SF is an issue when consider a purchase. Really prefer it will be on Steam. I had CS:S from Steam, never need to reinstall it. Just log into Steam and the game will works. \:\)

Cheer to all!

well, forget about it...
#2605553 - 10/15/08 09:53 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Meyvn]  
Maddox Offline
Maddox  Offline

HI,

Had to nip out for a while...

Did i miss the starforce officials.

Ive got my old pioneer drive beside me and was going to ask them would they be good nuff to give me a refund,And would it be possible to take X3 back with it!!! (for obvious reasons i wont be using it again)

Thats $250 for the drive and $50 for X3 reunion. (after all some here have admitted V3 of your cp system was a total disaster)

Cheers.

Thats 300 squids yuo dudes owe me so how bout it,

Cmon cough up...

Oh hold on, "i suppose you guys are gone OUT TO LUNCH"

Godspeed.

Last edited by Maddox; 10/15/08 09:55 PM.
#2605632 - 10/15/08 11:51 PM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Vosene Offline
Vosene  Offline

Slightly off-topic and of course it's only my humble opinion but if the big games publishers are successful in using DRM to stamp out the second hand market on the PC then I'm certain the consoles will be next in the firing line.

In my local Game store there are hundreds of second hand console games on the shelves and the publishers don't see a penny from these sales. The next logical step would be for them to use online activation and to lock a game to a specific console account. This would kill the second hand market for console games overnight.

We are already getting there:

Quote:
...each copy of Gears of War 2 will ship with a unique, one-time-use code for downloading extra multiplayer levels. Once the code has been used, subsequent owners of that copy of the game will be unable to download the levels.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/10/15/publishers-nudging-buyers-away-used-games

other console games using the same model: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55084

#2605636 - 10/16/08 12:02 AM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Vosene]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
The irony of this entire debacle is that if DCS was still being published by much hated UBI, we wouldn't have to worry about starforce. \:D

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#2605645 - 10/16/08 12:14 AM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Maddox]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
HI,

Had to nip out for a while...

Did i miss the starforce officials.

Ive got my old pioneer drive beside me and was going to ask them would they be good nuff to give me a refund,And would it be possible to take X3 back with it!!! (for obvious reasons i wont be using it again)

Thats $250 for the drive and $50 for X3 reunion. (after all some here have admitted V3 of your cp system was a total disaster)

Cheers.

Thats 300 squids yuo dudes owe me so how bout it,

Cmon cough up...

Oh hold on, "i suppose you guys are gone OUT TO LUNCH"

Godspeed.

I wonder if anyone linked to ED would care to comment on this.

#2605658 - 10/16/08 12:32 AM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
Maddox Offline
Maddox  Offline

Yea,

Maybe now that SF is part of MS they could do a whip around for me...

Good Luck.

#2605672 - 10/16/08 01:02 AM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Maddox]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Yea,

Maybe now that SF is part of MS they could do a whip around for me...

Good Luck.

Don't think they would use SF - take FSX, it uses an online activation, seems to work OK for MS

take this screenshot

Captain Sim C-130 flying over Orbx Australia Green on FSX Acceleration, all with online activation.

So far, nothing I've read convinced me of the overriding need to use the much despised Starfurtz.

Going back flying, see ya all tomorrow.

#2605679 - 10/16/08 01:11 AM Re: STICKY: Black Shark copy protection [Re: Vosene]  
DrStrangePool Offline
The master of the weird
DrStrangePool  Offline
The master of the weird

UK London
 Originally Posted By: Vosene

Slightly off-topic and of course it's only my humble opinion but if the big games publishers are successful in using DRM to stamp out the second hand market on the PC then I'm certain the consoles will be next in the firing line.

In my local Game store there are hundreds of second hand console games on the shelves and the publishers don't see a penny from these sales. The next logical step would be for them to use online activation and to lock a game to a specific console account. This would kill the second hand market for console games overnight.

We are already getting there:

Quote:
...each copy of Gears of War 2 will ship with a unique, one-time-use code for downloading extra multiplayer levels. Once the code has been used, subsequent owners of that copy of the game will be unable to download the levels.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/10/15/publishers-nudging-buyers-away-used-games

other console games using the same model: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55084

Would the companies commit themselves in producing the game for a good while? Like 10 to 20 years down the line? Never... Second hand games are a mine gold for out of product games, where else would I find that classic simulator... or that nice game I missed for sheer stupidity?

This is what angers me more after starforce... I already installed Spore in my laptop, now if I install in this old junk of a pc and buy a new pc(5 years old pc) at the end of the year(which I'm planning to) then I will have to phone EA for activation for 3 times more... or i could just support our local crack maker and download one, no phone call, no 0840 number dialled and no hassle, this DRM lately are getting so annoying that I wonder if they think that every buyer is a thief!

Now back to the subject, whilst SF does have the microsfot certificate, it does not mean it is a good trustable thing, many companies do get it by meeting a easy list. They didn't get it before because SF was worse! It is still horrible, but I lost a CD-RW/DVD with SF v1... haha It got so slow that it just stopped recording complete data, then at the end it wouldnt even record anything beyond a few %... corrupted too...

I just wish ED/DCS would learn from stardock, steam and even blizzard/activision !! It is so sad to see such a good simulator go to waste(a.k.a me not buying it)

Page 18 of 60 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 59 60

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.