Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#2530137 - 06/10/08 01:13 PM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: Kesselbrut]  
Kesselbrut Offline
Kesselbrut  Offline

Munich, Germany
@ Piett - with the Amphibious Task Group you are right - it's at the wrong side of the frontline - I'll update this error maybe in a small patch.

Port Howard is simply frindly because it's too near to the next UK-Ships

Remember, not all can be simulated as "it real was" during the campaign. Some things must be changed to get a good gameplay

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2530562 - 06/11/08 12:47 AM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: Kesselbrut]  
HELLFIRE Offline
HELLFIRE  Offline

@ Kesselbrut:

No, I play it with WoE.

Check this out, I copied the Vietnam terrain from my WoV installation (I had to install the bloody thing again, though) and changed the .CAT file settings to VietnamSEA/VietnamSEA.cat (instead of default desert/desert.cat) in the Malvinas.INI file and voilá, airbases in Argentina showed up (this one is Rio Grande, I think):

Hell, I keep blowing up on the runway as soon as mission starts but hey, it's a start!

Stanley airport looks OK now, too:

Maybe it should be better just to move the whole thing to WoV, anyway...

Last edited by HELLFIRE; 06/11/08 12:50 AM.
#2530683 - 06/11/08 08:44 AM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: HELLFIRE]  
BennyTJorgensen Offline
BennyTJorgensen  Offline

Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi' KB !
Would it be possible to have the PowerPoint presentations converted into a PDF or textfile, for the benefit of those who don't have the Office pack ?
Please ;O)
Happy Landings
Benny

#2530721 - 06/11/08 11:54 AM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: BennyTJorgensen]  
PNT Offline
PNT  Offline

Southampton, UK
Hi Benny, if you're referring to the Powerpoint presentations in the Mission Pack, then you don't need the Office pack, only the MS Powerpoint viewer - freely available here (as described in the Mission Pack readme): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=&freetext=powerpoint&DisplayLang=en

Pre-req'ing the PP viewer is no different to requiring Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDFs - you still need a viewer whichever format is used as the briefings constitute a single presentation.

Regards, comrpnt.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
#2530950 - 06/11/08 07:53 PM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: Kesselbrut]  
Piett Offline
Piett  Offline

Originally Posted By: Kesselbrut

Port Howard is simply frindly because it's too near to the next UK-Ships

OK, I could see this happening if the front line got too close, or when the San Carlos landing force arrives right next to Port Howard, but it's set as UK-held in the terrain right from the very beginning of the campaign - Alignment=FRIENDLY in Malvinas_targets.ini If this is intentional for gameplay purposes as you say then fair enough, but I was a little curious about it.

I've also found that Anti-Ship missions cause a consistent campaign crash-to-desktop (definitely for Argentina, and I think for UK too though I haven't had time to test thoroughly). With stock settings for the Super Etendard (anti-ship mission chance of 90), the campaign crashes at the hangar screen about half of the time. Setting anti-ship mission chance to 0 gives no crashes, even on re-choosing a campaign mission dozens of times. The same effect occurs with other aircraft types too e.g. Canberra. No problems with Strike missions targeted against ships though.

Strangely, anti-ship Single Missions work fine for both sides. Also, Exocet hits on ships in Anti-Ship single missions usually sink ships with a single hit, but multiple Exocet hits on ships in Strike missions in the campaign seem to do no damage to them at all. I think this could be related to the ship targets in Strike missions being terrain objects?

Originally Posted By: Kesselbrut

Remember, not all can be simulated as "it real was" during the campaign. Some things must be changed to get a good gameplay

Yes, understood absolutely, and what a great job you've done! I don't want the above to look like moaning or complaints, because it's absolutely not my intention. The Falklands mod is a work of genius, way better than many commercial sims I've paid money for. I'm starting to lose sleep by flying too many missions - many thanks for the great work!

#2531063 - 06/11/08 11:22 PM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: Piett]  
big_les Offline
big_les  Offline

UK
This is clearly a great piece of work.

But it's really unstable for me - I can't make a kill without it CTDing.

This is the MS error;
AppName: sfg.exe AppVer: 5.15.6.4 ModName: particlesystem.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000351e

First time it happened as I was closing on a Skyhawk and a wingman killed it. Second time was a C-130 that I killed with guns and just after it blew up I got the same message.

Used a clean install of SFG, plus SP4, then copied over the files and altered the inis as directed.

But I've just realised I had a version of WOE installed that I'd forgotten about. Could that be the issue?

Last edited by big_les; 06/11/08 11:40 PM.
#2531497 - 06/12/08 07:18 PM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: big_les]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
Your WOE install should be totally separate and have no bearing on SFG at all.

Will assume you put the mod into a separate unmodded SFG install?

There is quite a big read me with this did you carry out all the steps fully?

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=6700

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#2531571 - 06/12/08 09:23 PM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: MigBuster]  
big_les Offline
big_les  Offline

UK
Certainly did - and just did the dance all over again with the same result. This time I was able to kill a Mirage, make a bombing run, and just as I was turning for home - same CTD. Choppy graphic performance just before that as well.

I just can't work it out.

I've cross-checked with the rar file to make sure I'm not missing any files. There's nothing running in the background, and I've played (a long time ago now) SFG, WOE and FE without a similar problem (even with light modding).

Last edited by big_les; 06/12/08 11:09 PM.
#2531879 - 06/13/08 11:00 AM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: big_les]  
crl848 Offline
crl848  Offline

I'm getting random CTDs too, but not to make the game unplayable. I've found big mods always somewhat unstable.

What search button?
#2532081 - 06/13/08 05:34 PM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: crl848]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
try this:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=12148

It does work and is required for many 3rd party planes to work without random CTDs

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#2532268 - 06/13/08 09:38 PM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: MigBuster]  
Canadair Offline
Canadair  Offline

Consistent CTD in campaign selection screen, after that you pick campaing save name could be due to I anti-ship missions. (not the strike missions against ship target.) I had this problem in an antiship campaign I wanted to make.
What happens is that in order not to have CTD when an antiship mission is generated by campaign engine, all the cargo_ship object 's nation must be labelled as Generic in their data.ini
The system will pick only ships labeled as cargo ship as targets.
. We discussed this problem also with baltika for his BoB scenario and campaign. So it is a matter of educated guess turning some ship which are very nation specific, such as atlantic conveyor and causeway for example, to warship label , so that they are not picked as targets. And labeling nation generic those that we like to picked as targets for antiship missions.
By doing so I solved the problem and have no CTD in this mod
Still some anti-ship mission gets targeted off map, but I guess that this a sfp limitation (bug).

Last edited by atr-driver; 06/13/08 09:48 PM.
#2532727 - 06/14/08 08:55 PM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: Canadair]  
Piett Offline
Piett  Offline

Originally Posted By: atr-driver

So it is a matter of educated guess turning some ship which are very nation specific, such as atlantic conveyor and causeway for example, to warship label , so that they are not picked as targets. And labeling nation generic those that we like to picked as targets for antiship missions.

I tried making these changes, and it seems to work. Anti-ship missions are now generated without causing a campaign crash.

Many thanks atr-driver!

#2532981 - 06/15/08 08:51 AM Re: This is my last Falklands post... [Re: MigBuster]  
BennyTJorgensen Offline
BennyTJorgensen  Offline

Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi' KB !
Thanks for the heads-up. ;O)
Benny T

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.