Forums » Read Only Forums » Read Only Forums » Jet Thunder (Read Only) » Essential reading about the Air War in the South Atlantic Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#2374573 - 11/09/07 02:27 AM Re: Essential reading about the Air War in the South Atlantic ***** [Re: goon]
AWL_Spinner Online   content

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I second the recommendation for Jerry Pook's book. It's an excellent and informative read on the difficulties of low level ground attack (on both sides), and has a shedload of incidental and technical detail whilst still being a relatively short and exciting read!

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64

#3219708 - 02/27/11 08:18 AM Re: Essential reading about the Air War in the South Atlantic [Re: Dante-JT]
ijozic Offline

Loc: HR
http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Navy-Falklands-war/dp/0870215728

I just bought it today so I can't tell what it's like, though..
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SoundBlaster 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat-switch. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH average.

#3260199 - 04/05/11 04:41 AM Re: Essential reading about the Air War in the South Atlantic [Re: Dante-JT]
Polarwolf Offline

Loc: Reutlingen, Baden-Württemberg,...
Well i´ve read both Wards and Morgans book. And i like Wards more, i mean yeah the tone is pretty rough, but i sense somebody rather frustrated by his superiors. I mean Things like carrying out visual searches in which you shouldn´t use the radar, if you are able to use it, sounds pretty damn stupid to me. I think there is a good deal of frustration in this book and its evident in its "arrogant" tone. You have to take into account that he was a one of the leading officers for the SHAR and knew what he was doing and did a good deal of tactical planning. Also even Morgan does not pull his punches about No. 800 Squadrons training status, and the tatctics used, for example in the first raid on Stanley. I think its not about how the should´ve been won, but about pointing out the flaws in the tactics, to avoid making them a second time. And quite a few people in leadership think themselves infallible, if you want to show those people their error, you sometimes need to shove them face first into it.

Well Morgans book has a definately more personal level and is from that point more interesting. Wards Book is from a squadron commanders level and its a more technical.

Still a very good selection of books here.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Lugansk aviation museum
by KraziKanuK
Today at 05:12 PM
RS_Colonel_131st ... Did you ever pay that Fire Dept + Elevator bill?
by Cold_Gambler
Today at 04:42 PM
Pick up anything this Black Friday?
by saghen
Today at 02:39 PM
Ever wondered where your party goes when traveling on a horse in Dragon Age Inquisition?
by Desert Eagle
Today at 02:01 PM
OMG ITS HERE ITS HERE
by Moses
Today at 10:55 AM
Speaking of live music
by Ajay
Today at 06:43 AM
A Ferguson story
by KraziKanuK
Today at 05:57 AM
Browser Hell - I'm starting to hate Mozilla AND Google
by RSColonel_131st
Today at 05:23 AM
New firearm incoming
by Corktip 14
Today at 04:48 AM
So we had our biggest hail storm in ten years yesterday afternoon
by Ajay
Today at 04:33 AM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.