Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2287131 - 08/17/07 05:45 PM What does "notch" mean?  
RedTiger Offline
RedTiger  Offline

I figured I'd ask here since there's been discussion of the AI perfectly "notching" after you fire a missile at them.

I thought this meant turning slightly and possibly changing altitude slowly to keep the missile on your beam as it turns to intercept you. As Robert Shaw explains, almost a slow barrel roll around the missile's flight path to correct for the missile turning as it tracks you, keeping it on your 3/9 the entire time (especially if you've visually aquired the missile). You can watch the AI doing this in the external views too for an example.

Is this what it means to notch?

"By the way, even though I know its based on accurate data, it still pisses me off too when I'm about to gun someone and my screen starts to go black. I guess its only natural." - Pete Bonanni
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2287155 - 08/17/07 06:17 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: RedTiger]  
BritRadarDude Offline
BritRadarDude  Offline

Chelmsford UK
When a transmitted pulse hits a target aircraft and is reflected back to the radar, then if the aircraft is flying toward/away from the radar, there will be a slight change in the frequency of the pulse caused by the doppler effect. Measurement of this will give a rough idea of the speed of the "target".
Most modern radars use a filter to get rid of spurious clutter returns by ditching any pulses from "targets" that exhibit too slow a doppler speed, ie. it assumes these can't really be an aircraft (might be birds, rain, the ground, waves at sea, etc.)

If you draw a graph of speed against rejection/acceptance, it kinda looks like a straight line with a notch cut in it, hence the term doppler notch:-

--------\____/--------

A bandit can exploit this doppler rejection by turning to fly a course at 90 degrees to the radar that makes his speed toward/away from the radar seem too slow to be a genuine target.

It is said that in the early versions of AWACS aircraft that they would detect trucks driving on roads as genuine targets unless the doppler rejection speed was set to (eg) 80 miles per hour.

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum...
#2287157 - 08/17/07 06:18 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: RedTiger]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
BRD won... \:D

Last edited by Colt40Five; 08/17/07 06:19 PM.

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, or how smart you are, If it doesn't agree with experiment it is WRONG. ~Richard Feynman
#2287202 - 08/17/07 06:48 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: Colt40Five]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Colt40Five
BRD won... \:D

Uh yeah! LOL

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2287203 - 08/17/07 06:48 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: Colt40Five]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
With a name like BritRadarDude, how could he not ;\)

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#2287244 - 08/17/07 07:25 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: 531 Ghost]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
Originally Posted By: 531 Ghost

HE could get 'notched'! \:\)

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, or how smart you are, If it doesn't agree with experiment it is WRONG. ~Richard Feynman
#2287292 - 08/17/07 08:03 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: BritRadarDude]  
RedTiger Offline
RedTiger  Offline

Thanks BritRadarDude!

Its just as I thought. Notching is just putting it on your beam like I described. I'd always heard "he'll notch you radar/missile". That sounds less silly than the term I usually use when thinking to myself: "Ok I need to start beaming his missile". Sounds like Star Trek!

"By the way, even though I know its based on accurate data, it still pisses me off too when I'm about to gun someone and my screen starts to go black. I guess its only natural." - Pete Bonanni
#2287403 - 08/17/07 10:43 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: RedTiger]  
Floyd Offline
Floyd  Offline

Robert Shaw explains RL tactics, that has nothing to do with Lomac.
I'll suggest you use the search here and at lockon.ru for BVR tactics
to survive the engagements in Lomac world.

#2287413 - 08/17/07 11:10 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: Floyd]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I don't think beaming is the exact same thing as notching. Beaming helps keep the missile working harder, having to constantly turn to track you, using up its energy. That may also provide notching for its radar, but if it's a SARH missile, it's the launching aircraft's radar you'd need to notch, not the missile's (as it has none). Beaming can help even if it's a heater coming after you, which is not radar related at all.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#2287428 - 08/17/07 11:37 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: Arthonon]  
Floyd Offline
Floyd  Offline

BEAM (w/cardinal direction) - Target stabilized within 70 to 110 degrees of aspect; generally given in cardinal directions: east, west, north, and south

NOTCH(ING) (w/direction) - Directive (informative) for an all-aspect missile defensive maneuver to place threat radar/missile near the beam.

#2287469 - 08/18/07 12:59 AM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: Floyd]  
RedTiger Offline
RedTiger  Offline

Originally Posted By: Floyd
Robert Shaw explains RL tactics, that has nothing to do with Lomac.
I'll suggest you use the search here and at lockon.ru for BVR tactics
to survive the engagements in Lomac world.

I have been surviving, friend, in the wacky world of Lockon -- for several months now, thank you. You ask what the definition of one term is and everyone takes you for a greenhorn.

Originally Posted By: Floyd
BEAM (w/cardinal direction) - Target stabilized within 70 to 110 degrees of aspect; generally given in cardinal directions: east, west, north, and south

NOTCH(ING) (w/direction) - Directive (informative) for an all-aspect missile defensive maneuver to place threat radar/missile near the beam.

Wow, thats just picky. If you take into account your definition of "beam", "beaming" would be the same thing as "notching". The act of putting something somewhere vs. where that "somwhere" actually is located.

Anyhoo...it seems I had the right idea.

#2287517 - 08/18/07 02:25 AM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: 531 Ghost]  
BritRadarDude Offline
BritRadarDude  Offline

Chelmsford UK
Originally Posted By: 531 Ghost

LOL - actually most of my career has been working on ATC radars, so my knowledge is more limited than you might think. \:\)
We have different issues to deal with in ATC radars regarding rejection of false targets.

#2287581 - 08/18/07 04:14 AM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: BritRadarDude]  
Cmatt Offline
Cmatt  Offline

Canada
Bad guys beam, blue air notches, same thing, makes comms on the radio easier.

#2287680 - 08/18/07 09:36 AM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: RedTiger]  
Floyd Offline
Floyd  Offline

Originally Posted By: RedTiger

I have been surviving, friend, in the wacky world of Lockon -- for several months now, thank you. You ask what the definition of one term is and everyone takes you for a greenhorn.

Wow, thats just picky. If you take into account your definition of "beam", "beaming" would be the same thing as "notching". The act of putting something somewhere vs. where that "somwhere" actually is located.

Anyhoo...it seems I had the right idea.

What I've meant was that one has to adapt BVR to the missile model in Lomac and RL tactics
are not always helpful to do that (therefore my suggestion to search). There are tactics
to spoof missiles that you won't find in the books.

Beam/Notch were taken from the
"Operational Brevity Words, Definitions, and Counterair Communication Standards".
Just copied, nothing picky about it.

#2287690 - 08/18/07 10:22 AM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: Floyd]  
RSoro01 Offline
RSoro01  Offline

New Hampshire, USA
I'm reading quickly--don't have much free time today--and, so, if I'm restating something already said, please forgive me.

You notch the radar platform; you beam the missile or attacking aircraft. The distinction is important. If the missile is SARH, then you are flying at 90 degrees (roughly) to the attacking aircraft to 'notch', not the missile. If the missile is ARH and has not yet gone active, you are still flying 90 degrees (roughly) to the attacking aircraft not the missile. Only once the ARH missile has gone active would 'notching' and 'beaming' both apply to the missile.

Just thought I'd toss that out for consideration.

Rich

#2289585 - 08/20/07 04:24 AM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: BritRadarDude]  
WGCDR-ICE Offline
WGCDR-ICE  Offline

Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Originally Posted By: BritRadarDude
When a transmitted pulse hits a target aircraft and is reflected back to the radar, then if the aircraft is flying toward/away from the radar, there will be a slight change in the frequency of the pulse caused by the doppler effect. Measurement of this will give a rough idea of the speed of the "target".
Most modern radars use a filter to get rid of spurious clutter returns by ditching any pulses from "targets" that exhibit too slow a doppler speed, ie. it assumes these can't really be an aircraft (might be birds, rain, the ground, waves at sea, etc.)

If you draw a graph of speed against rejection/acceptance, it kinda looks like a straight line with a notch cut in it, hence the term doppler notch:-

--------\____/--------

A bandit can exploit this doppler rejection by turning to fly a course at 90 degrees to the radar that makes his speed toward/away from the radar seem too slow to be a genuine target.

It is said that in the early versions of AWACS aircraft that they would detect trucks driving on roads as genuine targets unless the doppler rejection speed was set to (eg) 80 miles per hour.

Excelent Reply there Brit, I hope you dont mind if i add your response to our training Room. With credit of course ;-)

Play Hard - Play Fair
Wing Commander "Ice"
169th Panthers
#2290525 - 08/21/07 03:27 AM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: WGCDR-ICE]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

The notch is a maneuver whose purpose is to cause the enemy radar to drop the lock it has on you (or just in general lose track).

You can beam into the notch, but beaming and notching are not the same:

Notching implies beaming the target to break lock when forcing a look-down situation. You can beam co-alt or look-up or just plain really close and you won't be notching (the radar will hold its lock/track on you).

--
44th VFW
#2290680 - 08/21/07 11:21 AM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: GrayGhost]  
BritRadarDude Offline
BritRadarDude  Offline

Chelmsford UK
No worries Ice....

#2290943 - 08/21/07 03:50 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: GrayGhost]  
RedTiger Offline
RedTiger  Offline

Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
The notch is a maneuver whose purpose is to cause the enemy radar to drop the lock it has on you (or just in general lose track).

You can beam into the notch, but beaming and notching are not the same:

Notching implies beaming the target to break lock when forcing a look-down situation. You can beam co-alt or look-up or just plain really close and you won't be notching (the radar will hold its lock/track on you).

Ok, I can immediately identify with that. I see the difference now. Thanks GrayGhost!

#2291309 - 08/21/07 11:48 PM Re: What does "notch" mean? [Re: RedTiger]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

No problem \:\)

BRD gave a great technical explanation of it. In essence, the notch is the price you pay for having look-down capability!

--
44th VFW

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.